Estes Park lacks a viable year-round economy

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Our town is a great place, but it is a fact that we are severely lacking in year round jobs.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Dec 29, 2013
Jake

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Hey Ralph;
It doesn't matter what you and Byron Hall stood for. The question is do you want to spoil the peace and tranquility of Estes Park by building on lot 4? Apparently you do because you are so dam worried about Estes Park surviving. How old is EP? How did it survive until now? And to Ron Wilcox; You fought the building of an outlet mall here, but you advocate the building of the Wellness Center and The theater. How in hell can you justify one over the other? They would both create jobs and a tax base. And yes, there are those of us who moved, or/and retired here for what Estes Park is, not what a bunch of people with city mentality want. Please leave our quaint little town alone and take your city mentality to New York or the likes where you will be welcomed with open arms. Small towns do survive without all the annoyances of people like Ralph Nicholas and Ron Wilcocks and all of you self appointed keepers of the town. Maybe you should all listen to Dr. Reveley.
Richard Tekulve

Golden, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Quality Year-Round Jobs - I've heard and read this term quite a lot lately and yet I do not understand the meaning of that term and I have a fairly good command of the language.
In my mind, Quality could mean two different things as it would pertain to a 'job' or gainful employment. 1. The type of job that you feel good about at the end of the work day and that you genuinely look forward to returning to the next day.
And 2., a job that pays somewhere in the range of $23-25 per hour for a 40 hour work week with primary bennies included and that isn't being greedy either but rather a 'half way' decent living wage.
I have seen far too many "Quality Year-Round Jobs" that pay anywhere from $8 to 12 per hour and to me that is insulting. Now if the Town of Estes Park and its government and population truly wish for a viable year-round economy then they are going to have to better than a theatre or wellness center - although it could be a start.
Amen to that

Loveland, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2013

Judged:

Richard Tekulve wrote:
Quality Year-Round Jobs - I've heard and read this term quite a lot lately and yet I do not understand the meaning of that term and I have a fairly good command of the language.
In my mind, Quality could mean two different things as it would pertain to a 'job' or gainful employment. 1. The type of job that you feel good about at the end of the work day and that you genuinely look forward to returning to the next day.
And 2., a job that pays somewhere in the range of $23-25 per hour for a 40 hour work week with primary bennies included and that isn't being greedy either but rather a 'half way' decent living wage.
I have seen far too many "Quality Year-Round Jobs" that pay anywhere from $8 to 12 per hour and to me that is insulting. Now if the Town of Estes Park and its government and population truly wish for a viable year-round economy then they are going to have to better than a theatre or wellness center - although it could be a start.
A lack of decent paying jobs that require a working family to have both parents work in order to barely get by on a most minimal basis, combined with rents that are so off the scale and out of balance with the crappy low pay.
No one wants to work two jobs in order to keep slipping further in debt in the meantime.
Estes has always had this problem of trying to survive a whole year on 6 or 7 months of business, and try paying the GREED BASED RENTS in order to have a store location downtown on Elkhorn Ave, how about reigning in the greedy landlords that wouldn't even cut the business owners a break during the flood cleanup, I know several business owners whose landlords were actually RAISING rents while the businesses were closed for cleanup and repair.
Maybe a help would be the town reducing the ridiculous number of permits and associated fees just to do a minor repair or improvement.
hell, I had to pull a permit and a follow up inspection just to lay 8 pieces of insulation batting in the attic space, seriously?
Nice speech Lancaster, now let's see some action, except there won't be, because in this town the rich keep lining their pockets off the sweat and tears of the working class, while they sit back and jack up rents, fees, and shoot down things like REAL affordable housing.
dashin

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Judged:

I recently took a drive up to Estes Park, and wanted to say big thank you for the workers along the way....I tip my hat to those folks. As I was driving up to Estes realized the speed limit and adhered to it, not so much from other drivers. With the trucks, pickups and trailers those workers need its imperative to adhere to the speed limit for safety reasons. On the way up there there were several drivers way over the speed limit and flip the international sign language if your in their way. On the way back tailgating, please people, where do you think your going ??? Really ?? Have patience with the workers, gads the lack of respect to the works for your own selfish reason is so unacceptable. Saw 2 car accidents that day.....rest my case. Drivers slow down and give the workers the respect, time and space they need to continue with repairs in safe manner. I would like to head back up to Estes but with the attitude from the other drivers don't want to be an accident victim. Please folks slow down. Interesting those tailgaters that just had to pass and get 1 or 2 cars ahead....we all met at the first stop light on 34....guess they really got ahead of the game....NOT.
Adam Shake

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Judged:

Well said Ron Wilcocks. Well said.
Jake

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2013

Judged:

Adam Shake wrote:
It figures that you would agree with him. If you want the amenities of the big city move there. PLEASE! I bet I could get bookoo volunteers to help!
Hey Adam

Loveland, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Adam Shake wrote:
Just wondering why you go by Adam Shake when that's not your real name? Hiding something? P.S. you don't own the mountain strong thing either, so stop threatening to sue people over it, talk to you later Adam Shakey, or Shady, or whatever it is.
Estes Park Voter

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

In response to the comments made by Ralph Nicholas concerning the "real friends of lot 4," it is true that John Cullen from the Stanley supported the original petition to save lot 4. At that time, the Stanley was against building such a high density development next to the hotel. However, today the Stanley management is very much for another high density project as long as they get to benefit from it. The Friends of Lot 4 have looked at the website for the Anschutz Center in Aurora and recognize that it is a fat farm. All services performed at the Wellness Center on Lot 4 would be non-taxable, under the non-profit status. Since only the 50 hotel rooms being proposed as the real driver of this project would be taxable for the Town, why not build it on the open land the Stanley already owns? What is the top priority of the Stanley? If it is addition of the fifty rooms with a wellness component, why not build it on their own property? Also, why accuse Friends of Lot 4 as being "close the door after you have arrived" people? Having view corridors and some open areas between large businesses such as the Stanley and Safeway, was what the original ARD members supported. Take a look at your tax increase proposals in April; they are for new projects under consideration, not because we have no tax base now. We need to have all voters consider such large proposals that are to benefit a few, but not the many,.
Or you

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Jake wrote:
Hey Ralph;
It doesn't matter what you and Byron Hall stood for. The question is do you want to spoil the peace and tranquility of Estes Park by building on lot 4? Apparently you do because you are so dam worried about Estes Park surviving. How old is EP? How did it survive until now? And to Ron Wilcox; You fought the building of an outlet mall here, but you advocate the building of the Wellness Center and The theater. How in hell can you justify one over the other? They would both create jobs and a tax base. And yes, there are those of us who moved, or/and retired here for what Estes Park is, not what a bunch of people with city mentality want. Please leave our quaint little town alone and take your city mentality to New York or the likes where you will be welcomed with open arms. Small towns do survive without all the annoyances of people like Ralph Nicholas and Ron Wilcocks and all of you self appointed keepers of the town. Maybe you should all listen to Dr. Reveley.
and your ilk move and progress can forge forward yet still honoring the history of Estes Park. It is a fine balance called the 21st century. bye, bye.
You can

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Adam Shake wrote:
move with him. Heck, if we get enough of you to leave Estes Park, so progress can continue, you could start your own community or state...like North Colorado...speed limit 25 everywhere and the town closes after the 4:00 feeding time. No DirecTV just the good old regular channels with Lawrence Welk and Turner Classics if you dare to drop a bit more money. Pull out in front of everyone since the speed limit is 25 but be a rebel and go 20. Ram your grocery carts into other folks carts...heck you earned it and no credit cards...just exact change counting penny by penny. Go to church then backstab everyone because they do not live in "North Colorado" and or the way you do and continue to judge, judge, judge because the "old days" are gone which even Estes Park can no longer sustain. Ah the senior life.
Or reduce

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Amen to that wrote:
<quoted text>
A lack of decent paying jobs that require a working family to have both parents work in order to barely get by on a most minimal basis, combined with rents that are so off the scale and out of balance with the crappy low pay.
No one wants to work two jobs in order to keep slipping further in debt in the meantime.
Estes has always had this problem of trying to survive a whole year on 6 or 7 months of business, and try paying the GREED BASED RENTS in order to have a store location downtown on Elkhorn Ave, how about reigning in the greedy landlords that wouldn't even cut the business owners a break during the flood cleanup, I know several business owners whose landlords were actually RAISING rents while the businesses were closed for cleanup and repair.
Maybe a help would be the town reducing the ridiculous number of permits and associated fees just to do a minor repair or improvement.
hell, I had to pull a permit and a follow up inspection just to lay 8 pieces of insulation batting in the attic space, seriously?
Nice speech Lancaster, now let's see some action, except there won't be, because in this town the rich keep lining their pockets off the sweat and tears of the working class, while they sit back and jack up rents, fees, and shoot down things like REAL affordable housing.
instead of encouraging the illegal alien population which is sucking the school district and local, federal and state services dry. That is where your problem lies but gosh knows we can't have that conversation just like the Duck Dynasty gay...I mean guy. Even though that is the solution Estes will continue to build on the backs of illegals for cheap labor then complain about permits, etc. Let's get real folks.
And

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Jake wrote:
Hey Ralph;
when a 1000 year flood hits dag napit who needs a viable town income to rebuild all the old haunts you visit? As long as the waters did not disturb McDonalds where you can drink coffee for free all morning and gab about the good old days and your illnesses.
I See

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

And wrote:
<quoted text>
when a 1000 year flood hits dag napit who needs a viable town income to rebuild all the old haunts you visit? As long as the waters did not disturb McDonalds where you can drink coffee for free all morning and gab about the good old days and your illnesses.
That you've apparently been there. You seem to know a lot about McDonalds.
Yes

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

I See wrote:
<quoted text>
That you've apparently been there. You seem to know a lot about McDonalds.
Me and 200 million others. What is your point?
No Point

Greeley, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and 200 million others. What is your point?
Implied. Just stating the apparent facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Estes Park Discussions

Search the Estes Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CO Who do you support for Governor in Colorado in ... (Oct '10) Wed GreeleyGrizzler 286
Longmont police: Parental-kidnapping suspect ar... Jul 17 We hate fort collins CO 2
Franklin County Sheriff Dane Anthony completes ... (May '10) Jul 4 anonymous 7
Farmers' Market back in Estes Park for the summer Jun '14 Walt Hester Caint Spell 1
Review: Allegiant Electric Jun '14 Jennifer Logan 1
Estes Park looking to get well after floods Jun '14 Confucius 1
Review: Bizzy B'S Recycling & Salvage May '14 foe 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Estes Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••