Petition to recall Estes Park trustees filed over EPIC votes

Dr. Bert Bergland and two others have filed a recall petition with town clerk Jackie Williamson today, for the following four members of the board of trustees: Eric Blackhurst, Ron Norris, John Phipps and Wendy Koenig, for their votes against the EPIC project, ordinance 2-13. The next step -- the clerk reviews the petition to make sure it follows ... (more) Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
obe wan

Arvada, CO

#1 Feb 1, 2013
You must be kidding me. Let them take their ball and go home!
He hopes

Estes Park, CO

#2 Feb 1, 2013
It won't come to a special election. Does he think they will resign over the possibility of one? A recall, if enough signatures are collected, means a special election. That means it will cost the taxpayers. We elect these people to represent all of us, and that means they will make decisions that SOME people disagree with. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars, including the time that the Clerk has to take away from her normal duties.
Be sreious

Windsor, CO

#3 Feb 1, 2013
they didn't get their way, so let's recall everyone who voted against us? What juvenile, petulant behavior. Grow up folks, you can't always get what you want.
Why not move on and look for another location, like out near the fairgraunds where the parking is ample and the shuttle stop is right there to transport people downtown.
Fed Up

Denver, CO

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Dr Berglund, Greig Steiner, and Gail Upp can all kiss my &^$. You're all a bunch of infantile horsesasses who cry when they don't get their way. What gives you the right to take my hard earned tax dollars for your self inflicted stupidity? Grow up and face reality. Your project isn't wanted here. Maybe we can act like the old days and form a vigilante committee and run you out of town. How does that sit with ya all!!!!
EPVirtualNative

Longmont, CO

#5 Feb 1, 2013
The one thing that wasn't properly addressed in the discussion of EPIC and "The Rocky" was the what ifs.

As in, "What if their aren't enough productions to pay for the operating costs of a building this size?"
Or the Orwellian statement of how few traveling productions will actually perform each year thus negating any worry over the loss of 30 parking spaces. If you are only going to have the place full for a short span of the year,is it necessary in the first place?

Sure this all sounds good on paper. But who is going to provide the operating funds? Are the retail/food service establishment supposed to carry the theater on their back? A building of that size requires upkeep. Does the day arrive when all of the sudden the owners come to the Town and ask for help in the form of a subsidy to maintain the building? Who will manage and be in charge of booking acts? Does it become the plaything of the donors who could arbitrarily turn down the request of any number of the local groups who may want to put on a play?

A building that size could be a potential vacant Wal-Mart on the down town landscape. If it does not work as planned, then what? Who is going to have the capital to re-furbish a building of that size if it fails?

Besides, a project of this magnitude being pushed in a short period of time and put before the people in a," if we don't approve it by this date then it won't happen", reeks of desperation. Why not re-think it? A theater that is truly a community asset is just that: an asset. People put more thought and time into a car purchase. Would you buy a car if the salesman told you that you HAD to BUY IT NOW or else? But the people of EP are being told that they need to trust this group to do the right thing. Slow down and think it through.
Correct

Estes Park, CO

#6 Feb 2, 2013
He hopes wrote:
It won't come to a special election. Does he think they will resign over the possibility of one? A recall, if enough signatures are collected, means a special election. That means it will cost the taxpayers. We elect these people to represent all of us, and that means they will make decisions that SOME people disagree with. Thanks for wasting my tax dollars, including the time that the Clerk has to take away from her normal duties.
These folks were elected to represent all of us...correct. I happen to like Wendy Koenig and would be disappointed if she was forced to step down. It is disheartening that the wants of the few outweigh the wants of the many. Maybe we should start a petition to counter the recall or possibly recall the EPIC members since they are, after all, wasting our tax dollars. What a horrible life lesson EPIC is sending our youth.
Ol Geezer

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 2, 2013
I agree with Correct. What is the criteria for filing a petition of recal of an elected official? Certainly it has to be more than "I'm a crybaby and I don't like the way you voted". Go ahead and try circulating your petition but be sure it gets to ALL ESTES PARK RESIDENTS, not just to your 847 donors mentioned above. This will never happen because you are affraid of reality. Also, how many of EPIC supporters voted for these four trustees? Some of you had to! Now you don't like them. Pack your bags and get out of town. Adios!
Jesse

Denver, CO

#8 Feb 2, 2013
I am embarrassed! Sorry it was an EPIC fail. I guess if you don't get your way piss and moan, got to keep your name in the news somehow.
SunshineX2

Estes Park, CO

#9 Feb 2, 2013
"OH RATZBUTT" ! So, EPIC won't take 'NO' for an answer! What's next from them ; "Tommy, In The Buff" being performed there?

Just for the record. I'm glad the trustees got something right once in a row......
Sad Sad Sad

Estes Park, CO

#10 Feb 2, 2013
I want to build a skyscraper in town, break the record for the tallest building in North America, if I don't get my way I will have to have a recall and pack the town board with my nephews and cousins: Welcome to the world of retirees who love Estes Park so much they have to destroy it.
Glad

Estes Park, CO

#11 Feb 2, 2013
How about this? 78% of the EVPC (Estes Valley Partners For Commerce) members (business owners) were in favor of EPIC moving forward. These numbers were shared with the board prior to their vote. An overwhelming majority of this community was also in favor of the EPIC proposal. The board did not fulfill the wishes of it's constituents.
Tragic

United States

#12 Feb 2, 2013
What the hell is EVPC besides cheerleaders for members of EVPC? That's like saying 78% of Broncos fans support the Broncos. Conduct a real survey if you want real data. Are you that stupid?
Ol Geezer

Denver, CO

#13 Feb 2, 2013
Glad wrote:
How about this? 78% of the EVPC (Estes Valley Partners For Commerce) members (business owners) were in favor of EPIC moving forward. These numbers were shared with the board prior to their vote. An overwhelming majority of this community was also in favor of the EPIC proposal. The board did not fulfill the wishes of it's constituents.
Jus what do you use as a statistic to make such an assine statement that an overwhelming majority of this community was also in favor of the EPIC proposal? I've said it before and I'll say it again--Put EPIC to a vote of the town residents, and not the wusses that leave for Az. Those of us who live here year round, the FULL TIMERS. There's an old saying. "Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth."
OK recall petitioners

Lafayette, CO

#14 Feb 3, 2013
If you have all the support you claim you do from the cheerleader section, then why not put to a public vote instead of the UTTERLY RIDICULOUS recall threat! You got shot down 3 times, the only realistic option is a different location or a public vote, threatening to recall all who voted against this is such a petty, childish revenge driven motivated maneuver that you should all be embarassed.
PREDICTION, the recall effort goes the same route as the EPIC failure.
As was pointed out, why not a public vote or a different location?
Grow up folks. many people DO support the idea of a performing arts center, but not there, not that big, and not so selfishly driven.
Weighing in

Estes Park, CO

#15 Feb 3, 2013
Juley Pharris is not a pollster, she doesn't work for the polling firms, this was a completely silly number. So far, the comments on this topic are 95% aginst the PAC at this location. Why doesn't someone stand up at the next meeting and say "The town is 95% against this, and if you vote for it, we will recall you."

In fact, that's a great idea. Let's start a petition to recall the two trustees who voted for this, as they we clearly misguided.
Billy P

Dallas, TX

#16 Feb 3, 2013
This is a great idea. Let's circulate a petition to recall the two trustees who recklessly voted to give away precious downtown parking.

Call me at 970 58M-AYOR
TED

Denver, CO

#17 Feb 3, 2013
There were some bad calls against us in the high school basketball game the other day, can we recall the refs?
Ditto Headless

Denver, CO

#18 Feb 3, 2013
The whinefest paperwork began the night of the vote? Lol

I'll just bet they are under the influence of Faux "news".

They might be hitting the hard stuff with Rush Limbaugh or really stabbing that needle deep with Glen Beck and his "Chalkboards of Doom".

Odds are, just maybe, if you start with a racial slur and end with your best "Bill O'Reilly smarm smile, they could be led by their nose to secede from the town in a huff... or better yet in a moving van.
Who is Burt Bergland

United States

#19 Feb 4, 2013
? There is no record in the Larimer County records of a "Dr. Bert Bergland" owning property in the either the town or vicinity of Estes Park. Perhaps he's one of those shysters who hides his ownership behind a limited liability corporation or trust?

I hope he was required to supply his physical address and prove his residency in order submit the petition.
Be serious

Windsor, CO

#20 Feb 4, 2013
Ol Geezer wrote:
<quoted text>
Jus what do you use as a statistic to make such an assine statement that an overwhelming majority of this community was also in favor of the EPIC proposal? I've said it before and I'll say it again--Put EPIC to a vote of the town residents, and not the wusses that leave for Az. Those of us who live here year round, the FULL TIMERS. There's an old saying. "Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth."
Oh, you mean all 8 of you, so even in that limited number, at least 2 of you disagreed with the "master" plan, you should consider joining the circus, because you are a bunch of clowns...
I can provide paper bags with eyeholes cut out for when you go out in public from now on!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: T V Service Center Oct 12 bill Brennan 4
Boulder researcher: 2013's flood-triggering rai... Oct 1 Boulder Jeep Fan 1
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 30 Lee 25
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) Sep 23 Brian_G 25
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Sep '14 HAM 12345 2
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Jim 4
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug '14 Terry 83
Estes Park Dating
Find my Match

Estes Park Jobs