School board candidates answer questions

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Voters in the Estes Park School District R-3 will select two new board members in the Nov.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
How about

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

school board candidates did not answer the questions (with the exception of Amendment 66...sort of). Softball questions and softball answers. No substance or possible strategies to move this stagnant district forward.
Heads up...do not allow Hickey, Jirsa and Paglia before they leave to sneak in an internal candidate for superintendent. They already have a talking head in mind but we the taxpayers should decide on a new administration. Especially since they have the b-lls to ask for a mill levy. Let's take back our schools!.
Lisa Smith

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

I disagree. All of the candidates for the most part answered the questions that were given them, and many did in fact suggest strategies. Perhaps you should read it again. Each of these candidates have an interest and desire to fix what is broken, which is why they are running for a seat on the board. It's not for a big fat pay check, believe me! They are trying to do something about it, which is admirable. What are you doing? I don't see your name on the ballot - in fact, I don't see your name at all. You stand guilty of exactly what you have accused everyone else of. Yes, we should take back our schools. How do YOU suggest we do that? By attacking those who are trying to make a difference? Good luck with that.
I think

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

you both have good points. Lisa, interest and desire are not strategies. They are good character attributes that are needed on the school board. "How about", you brought up a good point as far as a first step strategy. Let's start with opening up the superintendents position to at least a statewide search. Bring community members on the interview panel (teachers, staff, students, parents, EP citizens) to see which candidate is a fit for our school district. No more hiring internally. It hasn't worked. Let's have transparency and collaboration. Good start yes?
Mountain Goat

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

PHD? In what? Usually listed in what field as this is important information and from where might be pertinent if you are working in education. I call B.S. as this person is a Sarah Palin fan and anyone that stupid could not obtain a legal PHD!
and as usual

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Mountain Goat wrote:
PHD? In what? Usually listed in what field as this is important information and from where might be pertinent if you are working in education. I call B.S. as this person is a Sarah Palin fan and anyone that stupid could not obtain a legal PHD!
Anything you post is the same mean, nasty, insulting crap. You never have a positive comment ever, just like when you start to lose an argument you bring up the location banner, you must be a real pleasant individual in person, of course, that's why you always do this stuff on line, because in person someone would just knock you unconscious if you spoke to them like that, get a personality, and I don't mean a crappy one like the one you have now
Ummm Longmont

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Are you unable to distinguish me from other posters out there speaking the truth? There are many more than one of us out there who recognize your imbecility, your inbred toad licker, and Hillbilly Goat from Denver is not me. If you were paying attention or could read, I never post from Denver. I support Estes Park 100%, especially during these tough economic times.

Unlikely you, moron dipwad.
Most of

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Mountain Goat wrote:
this post is nonsense but I too have heard that that particular candidate, shall we say, fudged her credentials. Of course I do not know if this is true but it's out there.
Estes voter

Cozumel, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Brian Brown and Laura Case at least sound as though they are agenda free and want the best for our kids.
Estes voter

Cozumel, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

I think it is great that all of these people are willing to dedicate their time to our kids and their education. Thanks for stepping up.
Estes voter

Cozumel, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Estes voter wrote:
Brian Brown and Laura Case at least sound as though they are agenda free and want the best for our kids.
Actually after reading through the article in its entirety, all of the candidates seem to have the right intent. Maybe different angles but all for the purpose of what is best for kids. Good for them.
Cozumel voter

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

I think people who vacation or live in Cozumel should vote for whoever they want, but I have very little interest in their opinions because they are probably drunk..........Hic
Seriously

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Too bad many of you have your head extremely far up your arses. If you have such negative replys then put your arse on the line and actually put your time and energy where your mouth is for free! no pay or prestigeouness as a school board member. As far as credentials, I know her personally for a long time and it is too bad you bad mouth someone that went to college and got degrees. Get a clue and don't post crap about people that are not true. This is not a job application this is a volunteer position. All of them have the best intentions. They all want what is best for the schools and kids. Vote the way you want to vote and stop being nasty.
Estes Puritan

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Good point about Sarah. The problem with Palin fans (and Ted Cruz) is that they're uneducated, gun toting (and afraid), and believe that you can easily see Russia from AK.

Some in Estes are these Tea Party regressives who would like to have creationism "taught" in school, don't trust science (but love the iphone), reject the ideas of climate change (wouldn't want to conserve energy) and are generaly unsuitable as School Board Members unless you live in places like Alabama, Texas, Arkansas, AK...but please not Estes. Welcome to visit for a while though and spend some dough.

They shut down our government and way of life for their loco political extremism and now it's time they went on their way (or turned the other cheek).
what nonsense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

don't own guns, don't home school, don't believe human can have as big an impact as Algore's burgeoning weight and science is not the same as reality, for years we believed that there had to be some substance in space to transmit light waves and so science invented a nonexistent "ether" to explain it. Check your own misconceptions before you blame others. i may not be smart but i can tell you are a complete idiot. shutdown just delayed because you can't help yourself from spending money that don't exist moron.
School Supporter

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

It seems the question presented was whether or not this person mis-represented their educational status which would be important to know if they are running for a school board position. If one possesses an actual PHD, it shouldn't be hard to produce as it's probably hanging on the wall in their office and a copy posted online would answer this question?
Ok then

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

Seriously wrote:
Too bad many of you have your head extremely far up your arses. If you have such negative replys then put your arse on the line and actually put your time and energy where your mouth is for free! no pay or prestigeouness as a school board member. As far as credentials, I know her personally for a long time and it is too bad you bad mouth someone that went to college and got degrees. Get a clue and don't post crap about people that are not true. This is not a job application this is a volunteer position. All of them have the best intentions. They all want what is best for the schools and kids. Vote the way you want to vote and stop being nasty.
please set these naysayers straight and tell us what are her degrees, what are they in and where did she go to college? That information should put this to rest.
Where

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

School Supporter wrote:
It seems the question presented was whether or not this person mis-represented their educational status which would be important to know if they are running for a school board position. If one possesses an actual PHD, it shouldn't be hard to produce as it's probably hanging on the wall in their office and a copy posted online would answer this question?
online?
Alot

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

School Supporter wrote:
of no answers if you ask me. I should not have to go to this woman's business (and what business does she own?) to see if a bunch of degrees are hanging on her wall. You have got to be kidding. She whips that PhD out like Zorro with his eppe but no details. If it is in education wouldn't that be great? If her other degrees are in education wouldn't that be great? We want the best candidates for our schoolchildren not more lack of transparency.
Oh please

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Seriously wrote:
That "put yourself in their position and run for school board is old". As a member of the community I have the RIGHT to ask questions about candidates which everyone should be doing. Being a good steward does not mean I have to run. Since you are so hot on this path why didn't you run? Tit for tat my friend.
Seriously

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Well I am not the one putting false information out there about individuals. You all are. If I were I would be running. Being a good steward is not talking about people you don't know. It seems you are the uneducated one who thinks everyone plasters their accomplishments on their walls like wall paper. Oh wait, maybe she does. Oh wait, she IS educated and maybe does not need to do that. By the way..,, you gotta be asking yourself who started this and who is afraid that she won't play ball like it seems they want. You can't allow anyone in that are more worried about people liking them and rubbing shoulders than doing what is right for everyone. Knowing her for as long as I have she is not the kind that rubbs shoulders. She does what is ethically right. I am thankful to know her way better than you jokers. Enough of this. I have better things to do.
Oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
That "put yourself in their position and run for school board is old". As a member of the community I have the RIGHT to ask questions about candidates which everyone should be doing. Being a good steward does not mean I have to run. Since you are so hot on this path why didn't you run? Tit for tat my friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Estes Park Discussions

Search the Estes Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CO Who do you support for Governor in Colorado in ... (Oct '10) Jul 23 GreeleyGrizzler 286
Longmont police: Parental-kidnapping suspect ar... Jul 17 We hate fort collins CO 2
Franklin County Sheriff Dane Anthony completes ... (May '10) Jul 4 anonymous 7
Farmers' Market back in Estes Park for the summer Jun '14 Walt Hester Caint Spell 1
Review: Allegiant Electric Jun '14 Jennifer Logan 1
Estes Park looking to get well after floods Jun '14 Confucius 1
Review: Bizzy B'S Recycling & Salvage May '14 foe 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Larimer County was issued at July 29 at 5:27AM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Estes Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000