Estes Park school district coping with mill levy override defeat

Student Kelsi Lasota works on a desktop computer while her school-issued iPad stands by in the Estes Park High School library on Thursday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

Denver, CO

#1 Nov 8, 2013
Wow... This is just sad
77Cod

Springfield, MO

#2 Nov 8, 2013
You were elected or hired to "manage" the school district. So, do your job, public entities cannot keep going back for more money and more funds. Look for cost savings like businesses have to do. Cut the fluff and unnecessary activities. Charge for bus rides and extra curricular activities. No not a solution that every body likes but do your job and quit whining.
Big part of the problem

Louisville, CO

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Todd Jirsa was in favor of it, and let thus drive the point home, Jirsa is so disliked, and untrusted by EVERYONE, that if he supports it, no one trusts him, so we all vote against, and as a state as a whole, they keep asking for mill levy's to meet the need, then even when they get them, the funds are mismanaged, run out, then just want more, live within your budget and do your job, just like 77Cod said, Ipads for all students are NOT a necessity, students can get by without them and learn the old fashioned way, reading books, taking notes and actually getting educated, not web surfing for all the answers.
Fixes

Estes Park, CO

#4 Nov 8, 2013
Big part of the problem wrote:
Todd Jirsa was in favor of it, and let thus drive the point home, Jirsa is so disliked, and untrusted by EVERYONE, that if he supports it, no one trusts him, so we all vote against, and as a state as a whole, they keep asking for mill levy's to meet the need, then even when they get them, the funds are mismanaged, run out, then just want more, live within your budget and do your job, just like 77Cod said, Ipads for all students are NOT a necessity, students can get by without them and learn the old fashioned way, reading books, taking notes and actually getting educated, not web surfing for all the answers.
Well heck let's just go back to riding horses, that way we can save on busses and why spend the money on books, all we really need is a chalk board in each room. It was fine for me. What do the kids of today want to do, be able to compete globally?? How silly is that!
storm mountain

Denver, CO

#5 Nov 9, 2013
this will always be the case due to the fact that most of EP area is made up of old people who moved here from somewhere else. they are just care about their money and not the future of the community.
Exactly

United States

#6 Nov 9, 2013
What?
Time for Change

Denver, CO

#7 Nov 9, 2013
The fact is we have had totally incompetent leadership for years. Todd Jirsa took a classroom teacher and elevated her to superintendent and wondered why she flailed about when she had no prior experience as an principal or an assistant principal. He followed up by taking an accountant with NO REAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE and turned him into the next super. Rather than choosing someone with real experience who might understand the real fiscal needs of a school district, Jirsa chose someone who would march to his commands. In the past two years they have spent money they didn't have on cameras, IPads, new locks and other trivial items while the best teachers left town for a district that actually provides decent health care. Are we better off without Tom Frasier and Gary Stark?
Thank God we have a new board! Maybe they will find someone who knows how to prioritize this district's real needs!
The Federalist

Denver, CO

#8 Nov 10, 2013
The photo attached to this article says it all--a great student who doesn't need all this "stuff" surrounded by new furnishings (and cameras) using an iPad and a PC--simultaneously! The leadership of the district has invested a fortune in things while ignoring the people.
Alplily

Estes Park, CO

#9 Nov 10, 2013
The district's mill levy override would have cost residents just $3 to $4 annually on the average.

That's less than the cost of a latte at Starbucks.

I think this is shameful. Estes Park has enough wealthy residents that paying a whopping $3-$4 each annually should not be a problem. However, a disproportionate number of residents are wealthy retired people who rationalize their decision with, "Well, I don't have any kids in school." And, "If you can't afford to live here, too bad."

Well, guess what? When your kids WERE in school, other people supported their education. That's how it works. Estes Park continues to vote down measures that would support education and amenities for youth and families. So... who's going to provide services for YOU, retired people? And by starving education, you are just putting off the expense to society. Ignorance is more expensive in the long run.

I for one would have gladly paid $3-$4 a year to help my neighbor's kids (I don't even have kids) get the education that they need (and yes, the world today uses PCs and iPads, so those costs are reasonable. Join 2013!). And I make far less than many, many of the folks in my community.

I just want a school system of which we can be proud and which provides essential services and outstanding opportunities to our youth. We ALL need and deserve that.
EPVirtualNative

Estes Park, CO

#10 Nov 10, 2013
Alplily has a point.$4 is not that much. I was under the impression that the iPads were obtained via a grant. Unfortunately the tools and methods of yesteryear are not as effective today.Most everyone with a smartphone likes the ease at which information can be accessed.

The real problem was the school board members and their succession of superintendents that have been marginal at best. Now one of the newly minted members has some questions about her stated qualifications. Not to mention the PTO people who trot out the tired old chestnut," Were doing this for the children!", every time you ask about what the money is going to be used for. When a board throws bonus money at a barely effective superintendent, it makes it pretty hard to sell that as being "for the children".

We don't mind tax hikes with accountability.
Zoolily

Estes Park, CO

#11 Nov 10, 2013
Then give $4 to the school, hell, give $8 to take care of the $4 I'm not going to give to a bloated, over-budgeted waste of taxpayer funds. I ain't retired, just smart enough to see a school that is wasting what they have. Diving as a sport? Get serious. Pretty soon you'll tell me they have a soccer team and a football team. There's about $200,000 down the drain right there to pay for equipment and insurance.
Grablily

United States

#12 Nov 11, 2013
That last post is an example of the kind of ignorance that makes people want to take up arms and go into a post office. Does anyone have $4 to loan me to buy some ammo.

Ha-ha-Ha-ha-Ha-ha-Ha-ha

Complainers. Give me $4. I'm home skooled.
Zoo Billy

Boulder, CO

#13 Nov 11, 2013
Once Todd Jirk Chicken goes back to prison, I think people will be happy to give the school district money. It is just that one whiff of his taint makes people grab their nose and wish he lived closer to the flood plains
NONEWTAXES

Fort Worth, TX

#14 Nov 11, 2013
With the recent floods and resulting damage, the residents in and around Estes Park cannot pay for another tax increase or allow the district to add on additional debt. The school district needs to resolve their budget short fall internally rather than looking outside the district for more funding. These are tough times, we are all tightening our belts - the school district is not immune to a little belt tightening as well.
Green Gob

Estes Park, CO

#15 Nov 11, 2013
Let's make some moves towards registration on this sight. There R 2 many peepul leaving too many stupid comments and without knowing whoo they R, we can't taser them.
Estes Park resident

United States

#16 Nov 11, 2013
77Cod wrote:
You were elected or hired to "manage" the school district. So, do your job, public entities cannot keep going back for more money and more funds. Look for cost savings like businesses have to do. Cut the fluff and unnecessary activities. Charge for bus rides and extra curricular activities. No not a solution that every body likes but do your job and quit whining.
So many thoughts wrong about this post. An IPAD costs less than a textbook and has current information unlike 10 year old textbooks. Cut out the purchase of textbooks! Schools is not a business. The focus is to educate a mass of people that are diverse. A business has a singular focus on its product. Charging the extras for buses ect. is an admission it costs more! This is a shared support expense by all taxpayers in rural areas and is a cost to the district.
I gleem from your text (MO resident) you are not part of the EP community. Why do you post as a non resident?
Estes Park resident

United States

#17 Nov 11, 2013
NONEWTAXES wrote:
With the recent floods and resulting damage, the residents in and around Estes Park cannot pay for another tax increase or allow the district to add on additional debt. The school district needs to resolve their budget short fall internally rather than looking outside the district for more funding. These are tough times, we are all tightening our belts - the school district is not immune to a little belt tightening as well.
Another out of towner thinking they have insight into the EP district. What is evident from NONEWTAXES is they have a polical agenda and no insight to the educational needs of EPark.
Estes Park resident

United States

#18 Nov 11, 2013
Time for Change wrote:
The fact is we have had totally incompetent leadership for years. Todd Jirsa took a classroom teacher and elevated her to superintendent and wondered why she flailed about when she had no prior experience as an principal or an assistant principal. He followed up by taking an accountant with NO REAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE and turned him into the next super. Rather than choosing someone with real experience who might understand the real fiscal needs of a school district, Jirsa chose someone who would march to his commands. In the past two years they have spent money they didn't have on cameras, IPads, new locks and other trivial items while the best teachers left town for a district that actually provides decent health care. Are we better off without Tom Frasier and Gary Stark?
Thank God we have a new board! Maybe they will find someone who knows how to prioritize this district's real needs!
I agree that leadership at the EP district has been lacking. Many fine qualified educators left the district after the '90s due to an activist board and the lack of finding qualified leaders.
Who suffered? The students and the community! EP residents are not proud any longer of the district!
Talk Much

Estes Park, CO

#19 Nov 11, 2013
You wasted about $4 of electricity spouting your own agenda. Happy now?
well mr resident

Louisville, CO

#20 Nov 11, 2013
Estes Park resident wrote:
<quoted text>
So many thoughts wrong about this post. An IPAD costs less than a textbook and has current information unlike 10 year old textbooks. Cut out the purchase of textbooks! Schools is not a business. The focus is to educate a mass of people that are diverse. A business has a singular focus on its product. Charging the extras for buses ect. is an admission it costs more! This is a shared support expense by all taxpayers in rural areas and is a cost to the district.
I gleem from your text (MO resident) you are not part of the EP community. Why do you post as a non resident?
You titled your post as Estes Park resident, but your post says Arvada, it doesn't mean you aren't a resident, maybe Mr. Mo. owns another home here

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Western Wear Gallardo Dec 4 MichelleG20 1
November is national home care and hospice month Nov '14 Calvin James 1
Man rescued from Colorado department store's walls Nov '14 DILF 7
Review: T V Service Center Oct '14 bill Brennan 4
Boulder researcher: 2013's flood-triggering rai... Oct '14 Boulder Jeep Fan 1
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Sep '14 HAM 12345 2
Review: Pati's Hair Care-Best Little Hair House... Aug '14 Pamela Mead Krull 1
Estes Park Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Estes Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Estes Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Estes Park

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:02 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:02AM
Breaking Down Steelers' Game Plan vs. Chiefs
Bleacher Report 4:24 AM
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Breaking Down the Chiefs' Game Plan
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
NFL Playoff Picture Week 16: Latest AFC, NFC Standings and Bracket Scenarios
NBC Sports 7:45 AM
Steelers want crowd to be loud on Sunday
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
NFL Playoffs 2014-15: AFC, NFC Postseason Predictions Heading into Week 16