Stanley plan deserves a chance

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

If Stanley Hotel owner John Cullen had announced his plans for a $15 million wellness center facility any other time but in the aftermath of one of the state's worst disasters, the town would have likely thrown him a parade.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Sep 28, 2013
The Creature

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

I agree with this article.
ppaulinns

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

The Creature wrote:
I agree with this article.
Did you agree with the owner of the Stanley Hotel filing suit against the previous owner of The Twin Owls Steakhouse when he tried to develop that same Lot 4 and was denied the privilege to do so?
Beth K

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

I don't think people are opposed to the plan as much as the person proposing it and the lack of timing. In addition, a Health Center will not draw year-round residents if jobs for other family members and affordable housing are not available. We'd love to live in Estes, but when my husband and I would make half as much in our professional jobs in Colorado as we do in Iowa, Minnesota, or Nebraska, that means we won't be heading to the mountains to live anytime soon. Estes Park, along with many areas, has priced itself out of the market for the majority of young people who would love to make it a life-long home.
Mike Wilson

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

I said it once and i will say it again and again.
No-No-No-No
This in no way helps the community out-and why should the parcel of land go to this project?
Also, perhaps we as citizens of Estes Park could get clarification of who the owner(s) of the Stanley really is as I hear it is some Rick ( as seen and described in local newspapers) and this John Cullen. Neither of them live in Estes permenantly so why should Estes Park make all their dreams come true and they aren't even full-time residents?
DRH

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

John Cullen is the owner, having bought out his two partners some time ago. He also represents a corporation known as Grand Heritage Hotels, who own various 5 Star hotels around the world. Now as far as making EP a year round resort and drawing year round residents, there are those of us who are already year round residents and live here for what this town is now. We don't mind the chaos in the summer months for having the peace and serenity of the winter. Those of you who have to have the bright lights and calamity of city life should maybe consider moving to Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, or where ever, and live with the calamity of city life, lock your doors and windows and don't trust your neighbors, yet alone talk to them (if you ever see them),blow you horns and make obscene gestures to each other. I could go on and on but you get the picture. I know John Cullen and believe me it isn't the town of Estes Park that he is concerned with. Would you like to guess what his bottom line is?
Jake

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Another editorial from an unidentified source. In it "WE" is mentioned numerous times. Who is WE?
Paul Mueller

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Town government deserves kudos for their rapid response and communication about the infrastructure recovery process. These things will be fixed in due time.

The Stanley wellness plan, however, deserves attention, too, as it addresses many of the challenges that threaten the long-term economic vibrancy of Estes Park, including affordable housing, adequate workforce, employer attraction and retention of families. This one project will not solve all of these challenges, but it ignites the possibility of follow-on projects that can create enough opportunities to mitigate these challenges.
twisty

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Would it really kill the Fail-Gazette to put some kind of attribution on these opinion pieces instead of just tossing them into the news stream with everything else? Lame.
Mother Goose

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Another developer who wants to destroy the land in the name of progress. What about visual corridors? We live on a finite planet. Leave some open space.
Ol Geezer

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Who ever wrote this article and doesn't have the balls to identify themselves should not be allowed to publish it. Who does this person think they are to tell the public what this town needs and what's good for us? A democratic society would allow a public vote on this matter and take it from there. Obviously they are afraid to put it to a vote. And what about those of us who are happy to have Estes Park remain as it is? We obviously aren't suffering.
Jim

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Trail, This article is a joke. This guy Cullen is a snake. He's screwed over the town in the past for the entrance to his grand hotel. He's screwed over the past owners of the Twin Owls Steakhouse when they wanted to build on lot 4. I seem to remember the theater group getting screwed by him too. I can't believe the tone of this article portraying Cullen as some sort of a hero. He only cares about $, not about your little town. Do yourself a favor and do some research on any town/Cullen dealings and re-write your story with the facts. It will certainly demonstrate how this guy is really scum.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Estes Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Estes Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Estes Park News, Events & Info