Estes Park says no to pot industry

If residents had hopes that the passage of Amendment 64 last fall would guarantee the presence of local marijuana dispensaries and marijuana clubs, those hopes went up in smoke on Tuesday night. Full Story
Michelle

Estes Park, CO

#1 Aug 14, 2013
I'm confused!
According to this, Ordinance 12-13 says: "It's unlawful for someone over 21 to possess more than 1 oz., but less than 2 oz." Isn't 1 oz. less than 2? Does this mean that it's legal to possess MORE than 2?
Surely this is a misprint!

Also, the board's actions assure that illegal (black-market) marijuana will continue to get dealt in Estes.
Chris Dolbin is an idiot

United States

#2 Aug 14, 2013
if he thinks that there isn't any marijuana use in Estes Park!!

And the out of touch Diane Carlton with her "Legalizing possession under an ounce is also sufficient in my opinion." Duh - Diane - the town CAN'T criminalize amounts under one ounce. It's written into the state constitution!

Jeez, spare us from these self-righteous @ssholes....
The funny thing

Louisville, CO

#3 Aug 14, 2013
Some of these "outspoken" opponents themselves used to smoke weed, including a certain higher ranking police officer and his wife,(it's a small town), and some of us have been here a long time.
And there is lots of proof of the medical benefits, even Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently recanted his opinion that that there is no medical benefits and apologized for that stance opposing it's medical use, he admitted he just fell for the anti weed PROPAGANDA, and after researching it himself, admitted he was wrong.
Either way, the town can ban it to protect the tourist image and lose out on all the tax revenue it would have generated.
But remember folks, they can't ban it in the county and all anyone has to do is open one just outside of city limits and there's nothing they can do.
Andrew

Valencia, PA

#4 Aug 15, 2013
Although I'd like to see a federal legalization for recreational use, I also agree with Estes Park's decision. Estes Park is a tourist town with a lot of families, and unless there is a black market, I think banning weed is a good idea for the town.
Richard Tekulve

Broomfield, CO

#5 Aug 16, 2013
This is the 21st century, not the 60' & 70's when we all thought that ESP meant "Everybody Smokes Pot.
If you want to smoke dope, be cool and keep it to yourself just like you've been doing for years. We won't ask if you won't tell.
There is

Louisville, CO

#6 Aug 18, 2013
Andrew wrote:
Although I'd like to see a federal legalization for recreational use, I also agree with Estes Park's decision. Estes Park is a tourist town with a lot of families, and unless there is a black market, I think banning weed is a good idea for the town.
A black market, of course. The town can't "ban" weed, it is now legal under the Colorado constitution, they do have the right to ban the dispensaries, the choice to miss out on tax revenue, and the ability to monitor the sales because they would be public is the towns choice to make.
I am also of the view that one of the problems with the pot shops, is that it's never done discreetly, always the big overblow pot leaves on the signs, the Bob Marley references, the weed suggestive names.
There should be an inclusion in the law that says if you have a pot shop, it should be done discreetly and quietly, and not be so in your face, and should limit the number of these shops so as not to over run any town with them as was seen between Loveland and Fort Collins.
The pot shops started to outnumber the Starbucks locations which also over run towns with to many locations.
While I am about legalization for adults over 21, I also agree with the towns decision for the sake of the tourist image, something that a large number of businesses depend on to survive, and being know as a weed town will keep some people away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) 14 hr Brian_G 19
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Wed HAM 12345 2
Review: T V Service Center Sep 12 bill Brennan 3
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 11 Complete Dentures 23
CO Colorado Primary Election August 10: Will you v... (Aug '10) Sep 10 We hate fort coll... 32
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep 3 Jim 4
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug 30 Terry 83
•••
•••

Estes Park Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Estes Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Estes Park News, Events & Info