A time for economic growth

Estes Park is on the precipice of needed economic change. The engine that powers the Estes Valley economy is tourism, and Rocky Mountain National Park has long been the anchor to that engine. Full Story
I think

Estes Park, CO

#1 Feb 15, 2013
this all sounds capital but the fairgrounds and arts center will not solve the actual problem of deficit and debt. Nice tohave but...we need to look at the demographics of this evolving community and see how much we as taxpayers dish out in entitlements/freebies. It is draining our wallets and safe and healthy way of living.
How many

Estes Park, CO

#2 Feb 15, 2013
year round jobs would the fairgrounds and perfroming arts center create? 5? 6?
izzysgamma

Loveland, CO

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Show us the money! Theatres are going bankrupt all over the US, but still a small group of people are insisting that the monstrosity that they want in the middle of Downtown will solve Estes financial worries for years to come. When you bring this up, they state it's not the theatre making the money it will be the additional businesses inside the monster they are building. I cannot believe that a restaurant and a couple of new businesses are going to generate that much revenue to cover even the loan payment, let alone the taxes. They cannot give us facts, so they try to sell us their beautiful future idea. Remember these are theatre people, they act and pretend for a living.
Who writes this horse

Omaha, NE

#4 Feb 15, 2013
sheit? There were only about 20 people at the last board meeting, based on the camera shots, so is it possible to narrow the list of possibilities? Did one of the trustees write this?
Morebits

Denver, CO

#5 Feb 15, 2013
Agreed, its Time for a recall.
tstreet

Bellville, TX

#6 Feb 16, 2013
tThe author does not provide any facts regarding the current economic health of Estes Park but apparently thinks it is has entered some sort of crisis state. There is nothing new here as we hear yet another plea for more and more tourism. More and more tourism yields more and more traffic which yields more and more congestion, noise, and air pollution.

Apparently, bread and circuses are going to be the answer to Estes' so called woes as if those people on the front range do not have enough cultural activities as it is and,therefore, will drive all the way to Estes so they can see a play or concert.

If there is an issue, that would be the absence of good paying jobs for those who live here. None of these proposals will do anything to remedy that issue. Economic growth, per se, does nothing to fix that problem on the national as well as the local level.

The town should focus on quality of life issues. Estes Park will remain another typical tourist town if it continues to maintain the downtown as mainly a magnet for the drive through culture. Think higher. Think about the great mountain towns of Switzerland where the auto is not welcome. Think about its responsibility beyond just more tourism dollars and think about its carbon impact on the planet.

If the town is really serious about jobs, quit doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
SunshineX2

Estes Park, CO

#7 Feb 17, 2013
OH-BOY ! Can gambling/gaming be far behind ? Seems to me the same progressive/growth reasons were used when that was proposed here. OK, he77, under 'pipe dreams', a house of ill repute would improve things, too and improve mental health.....

I'm for the performance theatre in the right place,'which ain't downtown'. About 'downtown'; best make that a herd of cows.....
Jake the Snake

Brighton, CO

#8 Feb 18, 2013
I can see the Performing Arts in Estes Park, just not in downtown. Picture this---Friday night at The Rocky. Five to who knows how many thousand people attending a performance right in the middle of summer.The town still hasn't solved the traffic congestion problem, the parking lot at the fairgrounds is a flop, and Friends of The Rocky can't see past the tip of their noses. Why not get the infrastructure in place first, such as funding, land acquisition, employees, and most of all, theatrical commitments, just to name a few, then build you dream theater. The Seeley's were very generous in their donation of land for The Rocky, but the proposed plans as they stand now do not fit the footprint. Either downscale it or put it someplace else. Why does it have to be so big?
Watchful Taxpayer

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Feb 18, 2013
"The engine that powers the Estes Valley economy is tourism, and Rocky Mountain National Park has long been the anchor to that engine."

Mmm. Anchors hold things back. Maybe "fuel for that engine" would have been better?

Anyway, the main point of the editorial seems to have been that Estes Park is going to find it increasingly difficult to compete with other Colorado mountain towns that are putting more and more effort into attracting summer visitors in addition to the wintertime ski crowds. And there is really no big draw in the Estes Valley to compete with wintertime opportunities for outdoor recreation on the scale of, say, Copper Mountain.

But that's OK, because a real ski area would simply Summit-ize what is now a friendly small town, summertime traffic headaches notwithstanding.

So more tourism is fine, especially from November to May, and perhaps these arts venues would help. But we need other efforts as well, ones that would work to diversify the economy beyond tourism.

What, for example, would a factor of 1000 increase in the bandwidth of our internet link(s) do for the area? Might it attract companies that develop computer applications that need such bandwidth? Seems like those sorts of folks would enjoy living at 7,500' in America's Switzerland, no? Goodness knows they'd buy lots of climbing equipment.

Wouldn't a public investment in something of this nature make more sense than more subsidies for tourism? Let's get creative about this -- something that, I think, the mayor was suggesting.

Putting on shows (especially, as far as I'm concerned, concerts) is all well and good, and if Estes Park becomes a performance Mecca, I'll be the first to applaud. But it only goes so far, and we need to go farther yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: T V Service Center Oct 12 bill Brennan 4
Boulder researcher: 2013's flood-triggering rai... Oct 1 Boulder Jeep Fan 1
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 30 Lee 25
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) Sep 23 Brian_G 25
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Sep '14 HAM 12345 2
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Jim 4
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug '14 Terry 83
Estes Park Dating
Find my Match

Estes Park Jobs