Man killed in shootout with Cape Coral police

Jun 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC2 News

Madison Ross became so sick on vacation that doctors say she can only leave by an air ambulance, which can cost thousands of dollars.

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Oct 4, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Trish

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

He was arrested for battery 15 years ago. I bet he was stalking a woman with intent to kidnap or kill. Total psycho. Good job to the men who took him down.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

I look forward to the time when the "wicked one will be no more." and the "righteous will possess the earth and find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace" Psalm 37:10,11
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Trish wrote:
He was arrested for battery 15 years ago. I bet he was stalking a woman with intent to kidnap or kill. Total psycho. Good job to the men who took him down.
You have no idea what you are talking about or what happened. Everyone is now dumber for having read what you wrote.
IAM2

San Antonio, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

Trish wrote:
I bet if that was your best friend you would be singing a different tune, you are so ignorant to believe that that was the whole story. Its funny you people see something on the news and you just run with it, which in turn makes you look dumb to everyone around the situation. Please get yourself educated before you try to sound like you know what your talking about
Trish

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

IAM2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet if that was your best friend you would be singing a different tune, you are so ignorant to believe that that was the whole story. Its funny you people see something on the news and you just run with it, which in turn makes you look dumb to everyone around the situation. Please get yourself educated before you try to sound like you know what your talking about
If my best friend was walking through a neighborhood at 2 a.m. with an assault rifle in his hands and with a gun strapped to both sides of him I would think he was AN IDIOT!!

HE put himself in that situation. You must think people shouldn't be responsible for their own actions, or that there shouldn't be consequenses for making bad choices. Or that people should just do whatever they "feel" like doing, because it's a "free country".

Let this be a lesson to Dumbasses everywhere: If you walking in public waving around 3 guns and don't drop them when the police tell you to, you're gonna get SHOT!

IAM, your statement makes you sound like a little bitch!
IAM2

San Antonio, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
If my best friend was walking through a neighborhood at 2 a.m. with an assault rifle in his hands and with a gun strapped to both sides of him I would think he was AN IDIOT!!
HE put himself in that situation. You must think people shouldn't be responsible for their own actions, or that there shouldn't be consequenses for making bad choices. Or that people should just do whatever they "feel" like doing, because it's a "free country".
Let this be a lesson to Dumbasses everywhere: If you walking in public waving around 3 guns and don't drop them when the police tell you to, you're gonna get SHOT!
Talking to people like you is like talking to a wall, you think you know the story but as I said before you have no idea, when police show up and do not identify themselves and it is black outside anything can happen. Here is the deal you dont know him and you dont know what your talking about. I pray that one day you are never faced with a situation where even in your death dumb ass people talk crap about you. Let him RIP and have a little heart. You dont know what your talking about and it shows so please just stop trying to prove your point because noone that matters is even going to entertain this. You only know one side and the other side of the story is not the same, its okay Trish the truth will come out and you will see. Funny how nothing is being said to anyone because guess what even though Mark may have been wrong to be out there like that the police were wrong for everything they did and truth will come out you just watch.
IAM2

San Antonio, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

oh yeah and consequences for your actions does not mean being killed there is a thing called not using lethal force you are supposed to defuse the situation and when you have ways to not cause the death of someone when they never pointed a weapon at you then thats what you need to do.
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
Below this comment is where you post to continue to prove your stupidity...I'm sure this won't be too difficult for you. Don't forget the typical insults uneducated, stupid people usually respond. If your gonna prove just how stupid you really are, you wanna make sure you cover all your bases. If anything, your stupidity does create a good source of entertainment to enlightened person, and I'm sure you will continue to entertain us all.
Trish

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

IAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Below this comment is where you post to continue to prove your stupidity...I'm sure this won't be too difficult for you. Don't forget the typical insults uneducated, stupid people usually respond. If your gonna prove just how stupid you really are, you wanna make sure you cover all your bases. If anything, your stupidity does create a good source of entertainment to enlightened person, and I'm sure you will continue to entertain us all.
You're like a broken record.
You obviously know the dead man personally, so I can understand your idiocy in this matter.
I do stand behind my original statement that this guy got what he deserved. Yes, dear, law enforcement has every right to shoot a person if they're HOLDING a weapon. They don't have to be pointing that weapon at the police. It's called Armed. The police did nothing wrong.
They got a deranged, psychopath off the streets. Kudos to them!!
Educate yourself before you spew.
This is my last post on this topic. I've given my opinion (hence the reason for Topix) and stand by it.
Goodnight.
STD free

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

IAM2 wrote:
<quoted text>Talking to people like you is like talking to a wall, you think you know the story but as I said before you have no idea, when police show up and do not identify themselves and it is black outside anything can happen. Here is the deal you dont know him and you dont know what your talking about. I pray that one day you are never faced with a situation where even in your death dumb ass people talk crap about you. Let him RIP and have a little heart. You dont know what your talking about and it shows so please just stop trying to prove your point because noone that matters is even going to entertain this. You only know one side and the other side of the story is not the same, its okay Trish the truth will come out and you will see. Funny how nothing is being said to anyone because guess what even though Mark may have been wrong to be out there like that the police were wrong for everything they did and truth will come out you just watch.
Wow bunch of police cars around police ordering guy to drop his weapon. The police had few options left.Police did identify themselves. Anytime the public makes bad choices there is many times unfortunately a very bad ending.
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Trish wrote:
<quoted text>
You're like a broken record.
You obviously know the dead man personally, so I can understand your idiocy in this matter.
I do stand behind my original statement that this guy got what he deserved. Yes, dear, law enforcement has every right to shoot a person if they're HOLDING a weapon. They don't have to be pointing that weapon at the police. It's called Armed. The police did nothing wrong.
They got a deranged, psychopath off the streets. Kudos to them!!
Educate yourself before you spew.
This is my last post on this topic. I've given my opinion (hence the reason for Topix) and stand by it.
Goodnight.
Lol You just couldn't' resist proving my point and your stupidity. However I must hand it to you, you follow directions well. It amazes me how easy it it to get people like you to prove my point in that some people simply aren't worth talking to because they lack simple logic. You can press your opinions all you want, but the only thing you succeed in in proving how much of an idiot you are. It's rather amusing actually. But the unfortunate fact remains, that it's people with your mindset that are a cancer to society.

In reality, your opinion concerning the incedent means absolutely nothing, naturally I wouldn't expect you to understand why. You see, there's your opinion, and then there's the truth...and anybody with half a brain understands that the truth is the only thing that matters. It's really funny that people like you even have an opinion, let alone post comments on the Internet giving that opinion when you have no idea what the truth even is.

So I stand by my previous comments in that we are now dumber for having read what you wrote, and that stupid people like you do indeed provide a good source of intertainment. I know it's gonna to be difficult for you, but lets see if you can not post another ridiculous comment further proving your stupidity.

Cheers!
Stephen J

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

IAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol You just couldn't' resist proving my point and your stupidity. However I must hand it to you, you follow directions well. It amazes me how easy it it to get people like you to prove my point in that some people simply aren't worth talking to because they lack simple logic. You can press your opinions all you want, but the only thing you succeed in in proving how much of an idiot you are. It's rather amusing actually. But the unfortunate fact remains, that it's people with your mindset that are a cancer to society.
In reality, your opinion concerning the incedent means absolutely nothing, naturally I wouldn't expect you to understand why. You see, there's your opinion, and then there's the truth...and anybody with half a brain understands that the truth is the only thing that matters. It's really funny that people like you even have an opinion, let alone post comments on the Internet giving that opinion when you have no idea what the truth even is.
So I stand by my previous comments in that we are now dumber for having read what you wrote, and that stupid people like you do indeed provide a good source of intertainment. I know it's gonna to be difficult for you, but lets see if you can not post another ridiculous comment further proving your stupidity.
Cheers!
This was written by a very narcissistic individual. You keep talking about the truth, however the truth has been posted in every news media in the tri county area. The truth is, your friend was carrying some heavy firearms and was confronted by law enforcement. The truth is, a sane, peaceful individual would have no reason to be armed to the hilt, menacing a neighborhood. The truth is, law enforcement followed procedure by taking this individual down. I fear the media would have been reporting quite a different story if they hadn't. This man must have been quite ill and from the way your comments read, you may be the other half that was talked about in the newspaper. Probably a very toxic relationship between two people with some deep emotional issues and possibly a substance abuse issue. Your statements all point to that the media is lying and the eye witnesses are lying and the police are lying. Do you also think that the weapons were planted on him?
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Stephen J wrote:
<quoted text>
This was written by a very narcissistic individual. You keep talking about the truth, however the truth has been posted in every news media in the tri county area. The truth is, your friend was carrying some heavy firearms and was confronted by law enforcement. The truth is, a sane, peaceful individual would have no reason to be armed to the hilt, menacing a neighborhood. The truth is, law enforcement followed procedure by taking this individual down. I fear the media would have been reporting quite a different story if they hadn't. This man must have been quite ill and from the way your comments read, you may be the other half that was talked about in the newspaper. Probably a very toxic relationship between two people with some deep emotional issues and possibly a substance abuse issue. Your statements all point to that the media is lying and the eye witnesses are lying and the police are lying. Do you also think that the weapons were planted on him?
If reading illogical stupid statements actually decreased ones level of intelligence, I'd be the dumbest person on earth after having this and Trish's statements. There's only one simple fact that remains the most relevant to your argument...the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about. As I have already stated, there's the truth, and then theres what people...like you...believe to be the truth. Another fact here is that your opinion on the subject means absolutely nothing given the fact that you have no idea what happened that morning. That's just common sense, so I wouldn't expect you would understand this. Point being, nothing you have to say matters, but I"m sure you'll continue your futile attempt in make whatever point is was that you were trying to make, which in the end means nothing given the fact that you don't know shit.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

IAM: Why don't YOU tell the TRUTH on here? Your comments have been pointless. All that rambling yet you've SAID nothing! You seem to think you are the only one who knows what really happened so TELL US! Reread your comments if you can stomach them.

Did you send him out to get another 6 pack of Pabst and he forgot he was packing? Simple mistake I'm sure. Maybe you have a guilty conscience and that's why your comments sound so hateful and irate. Maybe you won't be able to sue anyone or collect his insurance money unless you pin the blame on someone else. Yes I'm sure he was totally innocent and everyones to blame but him. Hahahahaaaa.

I don't miss Lee County at all. I heard it's turned into a total SH#th0le!
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Moon Goddess wrote:
IAM: Why don't YOU tell the TRUTH on here? Your comments have been pointless. All that rambling yet you've SAID nothing! You seem to think you are the only one who knows what really happened so TELL US! Reread your comments if you can stomach them.
Did you send him out to get another 6 pack of Pabst and he forgot he was packing? Simple mistake I'm sure. Maybe you have a guilty conscience and that's why your comments sound so hateful and irate. Maybe you won't be able to sue anyone or collect his insurance money unless you pin the blame on someone else. Yes I'm sure he was totally innocent and everyones to blame but him. Hahahahaaaa.
I don't miss Lee County at all. I heard it's turned into a total SH#th0le!
Probably, maybe...typical words used when someone doesn't have a clue what their talking about. Not that it's any of your business, but I have reasons for not devulging any details about what happened. I'm sorry if you can't understand that, I'm sorry if you dont like that, but that's how it is. You see, people like you tend to believe everything you see on the news, and base your opinion solely what information the media provides. That's ignorant if you ask me. All you people can do is speculate, which everyone with half a brain knows is just plain stupid. Regardless of what you people think or say on the matter, given that you don't have a clue what happened, your still wrong, and your opinions mean absolutely nothing. Its just logical to me not to form or base an opinion on false information, but apparently some people such as yourself are lacking in the brain power department. I wouldn't expect you to understand, and obviously you don't.
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Some people may not have noticed, but there are no reports, media or otherwise, stating the actions Chernin took that forced police to believe it was necessary to shoot and kill him. What actually occurred the morning of the 24th, only police, witnesses, family and close friends know. Except in cases when media are coincidentally on the scene at the time of an incident occurred, which is not the case here, the media only report what they are told by people who were actually on the scene. People sometimes get things wrong, therefore, sometimes the media gets things wrong...it's just a fact. To base opinions solely on news reports,and to speculate is foolish, and the reasons for this should be quite clear.

No police officers involved in the shooting, no witnesses and no media have stated exactly why it is that Mark Chernin is now dead. I this country, the Unites States of America, all people have the legal, constitutional right to bare arms...with the proper licensing of course. Mark Chernin was licensed to carry his weapons. Media reports that a citizen made the second call placed to police that morning and reported shots fired. According to Florida statute 790.15 ( http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm... ) discharging a firearm in a residential area is only a misdemeanor, pushishable by a maximum of one year imprisonment and possible fines, as you can read here ( http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm... ). I have yet to find any law stating that the penalty for legaly carrying, and discharging a firearm in a residential area is immidiate death.

Reports also state that when police arrived on the scene, more shot were fired leaving Chernin dead. As you can clearly see in all of these news reports, that no one has yet stated why, not even the witnesses.

Forming an opinion with lack of information is just foolish. I however can speak intelligently on the matter, as I am more educated on the subject than those who know only what they were told by media, who were told by somebody else. One news report states that Chernin was walking around with a rifle, another states he was walking around with a shotgun. Which report do you believe? Do you know which kind of weapon Chernin was carrying that morning? News reports couldn't even get this simple fact straight, yet people believe every word they hear from the media. Illigoical.

Entertaining myself on this forum has become rather dreary, as one could amagine after having continuously repeated myself...but of course that was expected. People can accept the logical facts here or not, either way it holds no relevance.. This is still a somewhat free country, everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how foolish. Everyone is entitled to speculate, and form an opinion based on the lack of, or false information, regardless how foolish. I have not stated anything here that is not common sense, and how anyone could argue my points makes no sense, as do most of the comments that have been posted on this forum.

My suggestion here, is that people should form their opinions on actual facts, not on bullshit, and dont post comments on the internet until you have your facts straight. Basically, that means nobody other than people who are educated on what took place the morning of the 24th should logically be posting opinions regarding what happened, or which side is right or wrong.
Cubby

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

IAM wrote:

1. only police, witnesses, family and close friends know.

2. the media only report what they are told by people who were actually on the scene.

3. In this country, the Unites States of America, all people have the legal, constitutional right to bare arms...with the proper licensing of course. Mark Chernin was licensed to carry his weapons.

4. I have yet to find any law stating that the penalty for legaly carrying, and discharging a firearm in a residential area is immidiate death.

5. One news report states that Chernin was walking around with a rifle, another states he was walking around with a shotgun. Which report do you believe? Do you know which kind of weapon Chernin was carrying that morning? News reports couldn't even get this simple fact straight,

6. everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how foolish.
You just keep sounding more and more mental with each of your postings. I labeled your comments above and will comment on them myself.

1. You typed it yourself: "Witnesses know".

2. Eye witnesses are the ones who spoke to the media. They WERE there. They saw what happened. The media reported what the EYE WITNESSES said. So yes, I'm believing what the media has printed.

3. He had a license to carry a CONCEALED weapon. Do you know what the word concealed means? Waving guns around in a residential neighborhood is not concealing your weapon.

4. "Discharging a firearm" is shooting into the air/shooting at a target or can/ things of that nature. Using a gun in a threatening manner is something totally different.
You should already know this though since you write with a smug tone as if you know everything about everything. Ironically, you keep saying one shouldn't speak if they don't know what they're talking about, yet here you are.

5. If the eye witness wasn't a gun expert, they probably wouldn't know a rifle from a shotgun. All they saw was a "long gun". Ms. Genius couldn't figure that one out? Really?

6. Reading you previous postings, it seems pretty clear that you feel that you are the only one entitled to an opinion.
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Cubby wrote:
<quoted text>
You just keep sounding more and more mental with each of your postings. I labeled your comments above and will comment on them myself.
1. You typed it yourself: "Witnesses know".
2. Eye witnesses are the ones who spoke to the media. They WERE there. They saw what happened. The media reported what the EYE WITNESSES said. So yes, I'm believing what the media has printed.
3. He had a license to carry a CONCEALED weapon. Do you know what the word concealed means? Waving guns around in a residential neighborhood is not concealing your weapon.
4. "Discharging a firearm" is shooting into the air/shooting at a target or can/ things of that nature. Using a gun in a threatening manner is something totally different.
You should already know this though since you write with a smug tone as if you know everything about everything. Ironically, you keep saying one shouldn't speak if they don't know what they're talking about, yet here you are.
5. If the eye witness wasn't a gun expert, they probably wouldn't know a rifle from a shotgun. All they saw was a "long gun". Ms. Genius couldn't figure that one out? Really?
6. Reading you previous postings, it seems pretty clear that you feel that you are the only one entitled to an opinion.
I sat and thought about this for a few seconds, what to type...all I could really do is laugh. Speaking to people like you is simply futile. The thought that I can't even begin to fathom the lack of logic some people have is funny to me. There's nothing I could say that I haven't already said. Another thing I find funny is your obvious false statement "Reading you previous postings, it seems pretty clear that you feel that you are the only one entitled to an opinion". If you read my previous comment, would have seen my statement regarding opinions "This is still a somewhat free country, everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how foolish". Funny.

I don't believe I know everything about everything, but I do believe I know everything about this particular subject. The fact is I do, and you don't...yet you debate the issue. That's just laughable.

All I can tell you is review my previous posts, it's all that needs to be said. I am curious however...do you know what happened when police arrived on the scene? Do you know what kind of weapon(s) Chernin was carrying? Do you know why police offers shot and killed him? Do you know who's gun fired the shots that hit residential homes nearby? Do you know how many times Chernin was shot? Do you know if Chernin assaulted or threatened anybody? Do you know if Chernin pointed his weapon at anybody? Do you know if Chernin fired his weapon at anybody? Please enlighten me as to what it is that you actually do know...not what you think you know, but actual facts please.

Also, the fact that Chernin's license allowed him to carry a concealed weapon only is irrelevant. Now I haven't checked on this one, but I'm fairly certain the penalty for open carrying a weapon in a residential area isn't immediate death either.
IAM

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Just one more thing while I'm at it. What is it exactly witnesses stated Chenin did that morning that prompted police to open fire and kill him? If necessary, I could post a link to all the media coverage of the incident. I'm sure if we go back and review the coverage, we'll hear directly from the "witnesses" exactly what it was that Chernin did that carried a penalty of death.

Feel free to post links to the coverage yourself.
JIMBO

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

GOOD JOB CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Estero Forum right now

Search the Estero Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 8 hr Space Shrinker 2,932
Cape man allegedly shakes baby, causing permane... 11 hr Anonymous 18
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 12 hr Arthur 2,403
Where is the best place in Cape Coral to get Pi... Jul 28 Chelsea 4
Where is Caroline from Fucillo Kia (Jul '13) Jul 28 Chelsea 26
Cape Coral dad wins $500,000 in scratch-off game Jul 28 Chelsea 1
Review: Air Genie Air Conditioning, Co. (Oct '09) Jul 28 Ray Naples 62
•••
•••
•••
•••

Estero Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••