Rebel Mural on Side of Longbranch Bar

Rebel Mural on Side of Longbranch Bar

Posted in the Essex Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Opinions

Qulin, MO

#1 Nov 28, 2010
What are your opinions about it?
mee

Malden, MO

#2 Nov 28, 2010
i think its alright i guess but it is still on the side of a bar and supporting our school. coulda done something a little different i suppose
what is the big deal

Dexter, MO

#3 Dec 5, 2010
what the big deal flag has been flying for richland school for years
mee

Malden, MO

#4 Dec 9, 2010
nobody said there was anything wrong with the flag
Rational Thinker

Fort Irwin, CA

#5 Dec 14, 2010
No big deal. Evidently none of you know what the Rebel flag stands for. Growing up, we were so isolated from everything. I had to leave Essex and find out what it really meant. As a grown man, I am ashamed that people still fly that flag and don't know what it means. Hidden racism is alive and well in Essex and all over our country.
rebel

Cape Girardeau, MO

#6 Jan 19, 2011
its not a big until dumbasses like you make it look that way all the students at that school just look at that flag as part of the mascot not slavery.
Know Before you Speak

Qulin, MO

#7 Jan 20, 2011
Rational Thinker wrote:
No big deal. Evidently none of you know what the Rebel flag stands for. Growing up, we were so isolated from everything. I had to leave Essex and find out what it really meant. As a grown man, I am ashamed that people still fly that flag and don't know what it means. Hidden racism is alive and well in Essex and all over our country.
That is true, "rebel". Rational Thinker, obviously you haven't been taught the true meaning of the Rebel flag. It was originally designed as a symbol for the southern states as a battle flag when fighting the north for political reasons, not slavery. When the war turned into a fight over slavery many southerners AND NORTHERNERS were for slavery, but both also had many against it. The KKK disgraced the flag by using it as a symbol of white power.

A member of my family was teaching at the Grayridge school during the merge of the Essex and Grayridge schools to create "Richland". She helped in the decision of the new mascott and symbol (the Rebel flag). I know for a FACT the school was not created to offend or belittle African Americans in any way. The confederate states were tough fighters for what they believed in, and Richland faculty wished for their school to be remembered in the same way. Although slavery played a huge part in the Civil War, it was NOT the reason the Confederate States created the flag, nor dubbed themselves the title of "Rebels".

You may have been isolated while living in Essex, but AS A CURRENT JUNIOR AT RICHLAND HIGH SCHOOL, I have been many places and done many things, and soaked up much knowledge, because I have chosen too. It seems as though you are still isolating yourself from the TRUTH.

Rational Thinker

Fort Irwin, CA

#8 Jan 21, 2011
Believe me I know the true meaning of the Rebel Flag. So why would you let something be a mascot when the KKK and other Seperatists use it as a symbol of white power? Do you really believe that symbol of racism is the right thing to be used as a mascot and positive symbol? Would it be alright with you if the school used the Black Panther Party symbol as the school's mascot?
rebel

Cape Girardeau, MO

#9 Jan 24, 2011
Hey if your so concerned about it go to the school board and get the flag out of the gym then go to the bar and make them repaint it and then come back on here and tell me how far you got doing that you idiot because nothing is going to happen so get over it
Think Before you Speak

United States

#10 Jan 24, 2011
Rational Thinker wrote:
Believe me I know the true meaning of the Rebel Flag. So why would you let something be a mascot when the KKK and other Seperatists use it as a symbol of white power? Do you really believe that symbol of racism is the right thing to be used as a mascot and positive symbol? Would it be alright with you if the school used the Black Panther Party symbol as the school's mascot?
When those groups chose to disgrace the flag in that way, it took on a false face of its true meaning. Just because some awful people used the flag falsely doesn't change the original meaning of it. The Black Panthers originated as a Black Power group, entirely different from the situation with the Rebel flag.

I'll have you know African American students at Richland wear the flag proudly, not because they misconceive its "purpose", but because they know the true meaning and they are glad our school uses it as representation.

If I haven't convinced you yet, there is no point in arguing with your stubborn ignorance.
Rational Thinker

Fort Irwin, CA

#11 Jan 26, 2011
Rebel, evidently you're not educated as you think. Get over it? You don't know what racism is, because it hasn't affected you. Have you ever been told to not come in Essex, Dexter or Bloomfield after dark? I doubt it very seriously. By the way I am not an idiot!!! To think before you speak, if those African American students actually knew what that flag means to African American people, I don't think they would wear it proudly and my stubborn ignorance will hopefully get someone to see the light and not use that disturbing historical flag as a symbol of something positive.
rebel flag

Cape Girardeau, MO

#12 Jan 26, 2011
First i am friends with many of the african americans and they do know what the flag stands for and still wear it proudly.
Rational Thinker

Fort Irwin, CA

#13 Jan 26, 2011
Here we go... It always start with "Im friends with Black people". YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT RACISM IS, SO DON'T TRY TO RATIONALIZE YOUR POINT. Don't discuss something you know nothing about. I guarantee your African American friends are too young to understand.
XXX

Poplar Bluff, MO

#15 Jan 14, 2012
First the mascot for Richland is the Rebel Man not the confederate flag. The flag was just donated but alumni. Many of the students don't know the meaning of the flag, and no one at the school is throwing it in there face. In addition to that a minority student at that school isn't going to cause waves by tring to make a huge movement to remove the flag. Most are just there to graduate and move on. Really that flag shouldn't be there especially seeing that it's not the mascot. Secret racism is exactly what that flag is. Also when the schools merged they wanted the conferderate flag as the mascot to discourage black students from Gray Ridge.
XXX

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Jan 14, 2012
As far as it being on the side of the bar...That bar is a private establishment...They can paint KKK on the side if they want. And everyone supports Richland in their own way...so more power to them for that!!!
Essex Pirate

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Apr 1, 2012
XXX wrote:
First the mascot for Richland is the Rebel Man not the confederate flag. The flag was just donated but alumni. Many of the students don't know the meaning of the flag, and no one at the school is throwing it in there face. In addition to that a minority student at that school isn't going to cause waves by tring to make a huge movement to remove the flag. Most are just there to graduate and move on. Really that flag shouldn't be there especially seeing that it's not the mascot. Secret racism is exactly what that flag is. Also when the schools merged they wanted the conferderate flag as the mascot to discourage black students from Gray Ridge.
When we reorganized, we wanted to keep it the Essex Pirates but the Board couldn't be overly partial, so it let the students lead- the Gray Ridge group outnumbered us and those students (black and white)picked the Southern Gentleman, The Rebel and Red and Gray. The very name Richland comes from the farming area-get it Rich Land?
We white kids wanted the Pirates and white and green, but we were out voted. Every so often people come along who want to rewrite history, but I figure you weren't there, this is what you were told. I was on Student Council
at Essex, and I have no reason to lie.
The flag I never agreed with as I am an American, but it changed from the time I started school until I graduated(added two stars).
It was nice to have a new, big school and get to know the black kids. Most of them are gone now, and we learned not to say the "N" word before it was a hate crime. Funny, we didn't desegregate but we reorganized into a new district. I think we may have been among the first in the area, as best I recall.
Most of Topix is vulgar, but I enjoyed this trip down memory lane.
Really

Columbia, MO

#18 Apr 16, 2012
The American flag flew far longer under the shackles of slavery than the Confederate flag. During the 1920s, the climax of the American KKK, thousands of robed members can be seen marching on Washington carrying 100s of American flags.

Less than one percent of Stoddard County in 1860 were slaves, yet over 85% fought for the Confederacy. The Confederate flag is a symbol of resistance to what Southerners believed was a clear violation of Constitutional Rights granted to them. As the North changed from an agricultural society into an industrial one, it attempted to force the South into a likewise path that it had no intention or want to do. We must not apply uneducated modern interpretation of the flag, but look into period context of why it was created. Our beloved American flag was at one time a symbol of resistance to a tyrannical government. At the heart of that struggle (The Revolution) was slavery. To say the war was started over slavery is very much arguable, but to say that it was fought for slavery, that I would say is most undeniably false. Would hundreds of thousands give their life to simply keep the rich man richer (aka fighting for the minority slave owner)? I think not...the meaning is much deeper and much more complex than that. I see no problem at all with Richland's use of the Saint Andrews Cross as a symbol that students from there represent the rebellious nature of America and that it will stand up for what they believe to be just cause.
Black man from richaland

United States

#19 Jun 19, 2012
I think and felt like it was sum bullshit and still to this day do to have to look at that flag a mascot he look like a slave owner shid my parents when to Richaland also like its a sablemanal message and i did experence racism at tha school dnt get me wrong not everyone was like tha but for tha numbers of students at tha school it showed more face of racism then u think but i loved going to school there but do honestly think that tha school needs a new mascot and take tha flag out completly yes my family played sports and wore them uniforms thats because they had to proud to b a part of tha team but hated what they repersented and tha from a black student at richaland
use spellcheck

Poplar Bluff, MO

#20 Jun 19, 2012
Black man from richaland wrote:
I think and felt like it was sum bullshit and still to this day do to have to look at that flag a mascot he look like a slave owner shid my parents when to Richaland also like its a sablemanal message and i did experence racism at tha school dnt get me wrong not everyone was like tha but for tha numbers of students at tha school it showed more face of racism then u think but i loved going to school there but do honestly think that tha school needs a new mascot and take tha flag out completly yes my family played sports and wore them uniforms thats because they had to proud to b a part of tha team but hated what they repersented and tha from a black student at richaland
Read what others posted- the whites wanted to stay green and white Pirates but the Black Panthers from Grayridge picked all that Ole Miss looking crap.
Thank the black kids for all that, they picked it, so were they rascist?
Ole Miss had to change from Colonel Reb to Rebel Black Bear, also two grizzly bears on the Seal of the State of Missouri.
Change it back to Essex Pirates, that would make everyone happy!
use spellcheck

Poplar Bluff, MO

#21 Jun 19, 2012
Rational Thinker wrote:
Believe me I know the true meaning of the Rebel Flag. So why would you let something be a mascot when the KKK and other Seperatists use it as a symbol of white power? Do you really believe that symbol of racism is the right thing to be used as a mascot and positive symbol? Would it be alright with you if the school used the Black Panther Party symbol as the school's mascot?
Grayridge was the Panthers, and they had black students.
The black students picked Colonel Reb and all that Ole Miss colors, were they self-hating racists or just wanting something different from all the Bears, Cats, Mules or Indians already in the area?
Go all UNLV, which now has red and gray, Hey Reb, and use the Missouri State flag.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Essex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) 23 min Princess Hey 15,663
Sikeston Five letter word...Change one letter g... 23 min Fairydust 796
music game (Sep '09) 24 min Fairydust 8,734
Make a sentence from a 5 letter word (Jul '14) 36 min Fairydust 1,996
WW Wood Union 49 min Current Employee 5
Who is the girl 1 hr Kevin gttte 2
Twins 1 hr NMCC alumni 1

Essex Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Essex Mortgages