Michael's evokes good Old Baltimore restaurants

Full story: Baltimore Sun 8
Michael's Steak & Lobster House in Bayview belongs in the second tier of Old Baltimore restaurants. Read more
Steve Sharon

Severn, MD

#1 Oct 19, 2008
I very rarely recommend restaurants to people because having owned one for more than a quarter century, I know if people ask my opinion, it better be a sound one. Michael's is one of a very small list of restaurants that I whole-heartedly recommend. All the time. The family which owns Michael's balances friendship and professionalism with its patrons as well as any place I have ever witnessed. The food is the best I have had in the Southeast Baltimore area, and the food is consistently extremely good. One more thing...The review said it takes 56 minutes to get to the restaurant from the Inner Harbor. I would love to know how the reviewer drove to get there which took 56 minutes. Even in the worse traffic I have ever endured on Eastern Avenue, I think it would be almost impossible to take 56 minutes to travel those approximately 7 miles.
Bob Mathers

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Oct 19, 2008
Steve's comments are right on. I'd bet a Captain Harvey's sub that even I can get to Michael's from the Harbor faster than 56 minutes. Probably the reviewer endured a few long red lights and panhandlers near the Broadway Market.
MarkP

United States

#3 Oct 19, 2008
I have eaten at Michael's many time and have never been served a tough steak. It was a fluke to get one there. Michael's may be a bit worn but it sure beats the trendy restaurants any day for value and quality. The owners spend their money on the food and service, as it should be instead of fancy decor and gimmicks for the tourists. I think the place deserves a better rating.
K-Food

AOL

#4 Oct 19, 2008
Sounds like classic Baltimore--enormous quantities of mediocre overcooked food at low enough prices that people think it's much better than it is. Perhaps they should realize it's the 21st century.
Steve Sharon

Severn, MD

#5 Oct 19, 2008
Bob Mathers in Tallahassee Florida???
When did this happen? I am glad to see you here!!!...and as usual, the two of us on the same side of a discussion. Michael's is truly a pleasure.
Greektowner

Baltimore, MD

#6 Oct 20, 2008
Michael's is great--relaxed, hospitable and old-style. I have no idea how our critic, a longtime Baltimoron, spent 56 minutes getting from the Inner Harbor to Michael's, since the trip, even with the construction on Eastern Avenue, takes about 20 minutes. Take President Street to Fleet Street, right on Central, left on Aliceanna, travel about 3/4 mile and soft right onto Boston. Take Boston to Ponca, Ponca to Eastern, turn right and you are almost there. Enjoy.

("Baltimoron" is an honorific.)
julia

Milton, DE

#7 Oct 20, 2008
Going to Michaels is like visiting an elderly aunt. The decor is a little weird but it good eatin and great service. And you are always glad you went.
Brad

Baltimore, MD

#8 Oct 25, 2008
Christopher Daniel in Timonium has Brussel Sprouts as a regular side dish. You asked...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Essex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police arrest suspect in Bowleys Quarters murder Mar 12 concerned 1
News High-speed chase ends in Baltimore County with ... Feb '15 Mustang Mike 1
News MTA adding bus routes to Amazon distribution ce... Feb '15 Missy 1
Group/couples sex Feb '15 Mitsilancer 2
News Still longing for Hecht's as Boscov's bows out (Aug '08) Jan '15 Just sayin 16
Saw a Bowleys Quarters Rachet last night at the... Jan '15 EarlW 1
It's a Happy New Year for Truck Driver, who is ... Jan '15 Prayer 1
Essex Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Essex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]