Thinking about making the move from CT to Schoharie County...help!

Posted in the Esperance Forum

Scott

Naugatuck, CT

#1 May 3, 2012
Always drive through the area on our way up to a lake house in Canada. Absolutely love the area and how it so different than the hectic pace down here.

I am a 32 year old male and my wife is 29. We each make a salary in the 50's here. We have looked in to it and we should be able to make the same if not more in Albany. She is a teacher and I am in sales.

Here is where I am getting worried. The taxes there are higher than in CT. I couldn't believe it. Let me explain our plans and you tell me if we are crazy for thinking about moving up there :)

1. Purchase land...no more than 20 acres.

2. Put a new modular home on the land.

3. Day care , dog kennel ( i do training as well ), and a small animal sanctuary.

Lets say the land and the home total no more than 200k and lets say we put it in Schoharie County. Am I looking at crazy taxes? We pay $5500 a year here in CT. Are the taxes expected to increase or decrease in the next couple years?

Would I be crazy to move up there with a similar mortgage payment?

Any other advise you can would be appreciated... I know I just rambled away.
Zeebo

Troy, NY

#2 Jun 1, 2012
Save yourself the trouble, don't move to this county. You will be disappointed.
Scott wrote:
Always drive through the area on our way up to a lake house in Canada. Absolutely love the area and how it so different than the hectic pace down here.
I am a 32 year old male and my wife is 29. We each make a salary in the 50's here. We have looked in to it and we should be able to make the same if not more in Albany. She is a teacher and I am in sales.
Here is where I am getting worried. The taxes there are higher than in CT. I couldn't believe it. Let me explain our plans and you tell me if we are crazy for thinking about moving up there :)
1. Purchase land...no more than 20 acres.
2. Put a new modular home on the land.
3. Day care , dog kennel ( i do training as well ), and a small animal sanctuary.
Lets say the land and the home total no more than 200k and lets say we put it in Schoharie County. Am I looking at crazy taxes? We pay $5500 a year here in CT. Are the taxes expected to increase or decrease in the next couple years?
Would I be crazy to move up there with a similar mortgage payment?
Any other advise you can would be appreciated... I know I just rambled away.
cry babys ink

United States

#3 Jun 19, 2012
We pay 3000 a year..for a 5 bedroom house and 5 acres...but also schoharie county offers a monthly plan....pay so much every month to the county clerks office instead of paying a huge liumps sum at the end of the year...but yea schoharie is full of scum and sooooo kuch drama everyone knows everything about u...
Been There

Howes Cave, NY

#4 Jul 5, 2012
Biggest mistake you could make!!!
no name

Sherburne, NY

#5 Apr 10, 2013
Schoharie County is a County of Child theft Rings, Run by CPS and the courts.If you plan on having children.....RUN!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Esperance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Schoharie County Social Services (Jul '11) Aug '14 AIP 19
One injured in late night shooting (Jan '14) Jan '14 zeldo 3
Trooper Will Be Laid To Rest Today (Dec '13) Dec '13 Anonymous 11
Schoharie County Sheriff election 2013 (Sep '13) Nov '13 Michael 13
Review: WD Asphalt Paving (Mar '13) Mar '13 Melissa 1
Incumbent DA David Soares secures win in Albany... (Sep '12) Sep '12 IWork2Pay4U 14
Couple charged with larceny (Apr '10) Aug '12 justice for all t... 9
Esperance Dating
Find my Match

Esperance Jobs

Esperance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Esperance News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Esperance

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]