Federal forest fees waived this weekend

Aug 11, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico

Three of New Mexico's national forests are waiving many recreation fees this weekend to encourage people to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Comments
21 - 32 of 32 Comments Last updated Aug 16, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Judged:

DOOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Good! When Obama puts you are in charge you can make that your first priority!
I'd rather work for Romney, Gingrich, or Palin.

Besides, it's congress that makes the laws, including the ones that pertain to allowing the Department of the Interior to charge fees to access lands that already belong to us.
The Ghost Rider of NM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
No citizen of the United States should have to pay fees to utilize our public lands.
If campgrounds are free, I still prefer camping in remote backcountry. Some of the worst camping experiences I've had were in developed campgrounds.
Cary, we won't get the situation with the forest cleared up until we get rid of the corrupt Democrats in Sante Fe. That is why I am voting for Susana Martinez. With her, we can start to straighten out and clean up New Mexicio. She will get off her hippockets and start getting jobs back in the state to put our people back to work, put a stop to the drivers license being issued to illegals, help put a stop to illegals coming across the border and findind a safe haven in New Mexico. A vote for Susana Martinez and the other Republican candidates will be a big step in starting to clean up New Mexico!
The Ghost Rider of NM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

The Ghost Rider of NM wrote:
<quoted text>Cary, we won't get the situation with the forest cleared up until we get rid of the corrupt Democrats in Sante Fe. That is why I am voting for Susana Martinez. With her, we can start to straighten out and clean up New Mexicio. She will get off her hippockets and start getting jobs back in the state to put our people back to work, put a stop to the drivers license being issued to illegals, help put a stop to illegals coming across the border and findind a safe haven in New Mexico. A vote for Susana Martinez and the other Republican candidates will be a big step in starting to clean up New Mexico!
Susana is just as corrupt as any NM Democrat. The only "Jobs" will be for her cronies and family. She will NOT do anything real about immigration. She will only use it as an issue to divide, but will not make any real reforms. She is already proving herself. She is only beholden to her texan billinaire benefactors..... state contracts will all be farmed out to compainies owned by her Texan sugar daddies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

I'm voting for Susana Martinez, and I agree that's a big step towards straightening out New Mexico's problems, but it's going to take a change in congress to end access fees to our public lands. Some republicans support user fees, and though I'm against user fees, I'd also rather have an economic policy that allows me to be able to afford to PAY minimal user fees if necessary. Our current administration is both pro-access fee, and is against policies that will grow our economy, so we are currently at an extreme disadvantage.

A 20-25 dollar entry fee for a seven day "pass" to our National Parks is not a "minimal" fee. 10-20 bucks a night on top of that to have a campsite with a picnic table and access to an outhouse is not a "minimal" fee. Paying $4 to the Forest Sevice, BLM, or National Park Service to use a hiking trail that was likely created by, and is likely maintained by, volunteers is absolutely ridiculous and borders upon extortion.

I suppose it is possible that a state legislature could vote to overturn federal fee policy on lands that are inside a particular state. That would be an interesting challenge to federal authority, much like Arizona's challenge to federal authority on the border issue. I'm all for such action, as I believe states need to re-exert their rights across the board.
Insider

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>
No citizen of the United States should have to pay fees to utilize our public lands.
If campgrounds are free, I still prefer camping in remote backcountry. Some of the worst camping experiences I've had were in developed campgrounds.
I have to agree with you on this one Cary; I've tried camping at the designated spots in Chaco Canyon, and it was pure misery, no escape from the throngs there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

Insider wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you on this one Cary; I've tried camping at the designated spots in Chaco Canyon, and it was pure misery, no escape from the throngs there.
Agreed! Last year, my wife and I went on vacation in the remote Nevada backcountry, and camped mostly in isolated wide spots at the end of lonely dirt roads. One night, we camped at a campground still on the map as developed, but which didn't actually exist anymore, so we had the whole place to ourselves. It was interesting to follow the old rock lined paths to nowhere at what must have once been quite and extensive campground. One night, we camped at a 100 plus year old ranching "line camp", which had a "cowboy swimming pool" withing a couple miles...a giant steel stock tank about 5 feet high complete with a swimming pool ladder, old cable spools for tables, and several pallets to stand on and folding chairs about. We took advantage of that good fortune, as we were camping in mid-July and temps were over the 100 degree mark for several days!

The worst night out of about 10 nights was spent in a BLM Campground near Spring Valley State Park. We had the entire place to ourselves until about midnight, when a fellow pulled in to the spot right next to us with an aluminum boat and proceeded to basically take the thing apart and put it back together again over the next 2-3 hours, apparently in preparation for fishing at Eagle Valley Reservoir the next morn..indeed, he'd pulled his boat out by 6 AM, leaving behind a rudimentary camp.

But for several hours, it was like he was banging a gong about 20 feet away from our tent as he rattled around his boat. At one point, he actually had the outboard motor off or it and had it sitting on the picnic table.

Since he had pulled in so late, and right next to us even though there about 7 spaces in the campground, I was wary and had my .44 mag at the ready. It was very tempting to fire a couple of rounds into the air by about 2 AM when it appeared the noise wasn't going to let up anytime soon....

It had been years since I'd camped in a developed campground before that..and I'm in no hurry to camp in one again...

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Insider wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that, and yes, it was miserable. That was 8 years ago and we've not returned. And Chaco canyon is an awesome place to visit and just meditate while enjoying your surroundings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

I'd say that camping in a developed campground is akin to apartment living...only with even thinner walls.
Insider

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that, and yes, it was miserable. That was 8 years ago and we've not returned. And Chaco canyon is an awesome place to visit and just meditate while enjoying your surroundings.
Yes, I agree, I have been there many times, but next time I go and want to camp, I will get a backcountry permit. I couldn't get over how close the campsites are there, no privacy whatsoever!
What

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

The Ghost Rider of NM wrote:
<quoted text>Cary, we won't get the situation with the forest cleared up until we get rid of the corrupt Democrats in Sante Fe. That is why I am voting for Susana Martinez. With her, we can start to straighten out and clean up New Mexicio. She will get off her hippockets and start getting jobs back in the state to put our people back to work, put a stop to the drivers license being issued to illegals, help put a stop to illegals coming across the border and findind a safe haven in New Mexico. A vote for Susana Martinez and the other Republican candidates will be a big step in starting to clean up New Mexico!
a bunch of off topic idiocy. These are the National Forests, you moron.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

The only sites I know of are areas that were formerly open to vehicles but are no longer. That's why they aren't maintained. I can direct you to a map that shows the hundreds of thousands of miles of roads that were built with taxpayer money that served mines and logging. Many are closed to the public. That is corporate welfare. I have still never seen a ranger in the back-country. I hope you realize when I say back-country I mean an area that you have to hike to. Car campers not allowed. Do some research yourself.[QUOTEIwho="Cary L Nickel"]<quoted text>
I've not been limited to merely the New Mexico backcountry, but to the backcountry all over the west. I can take you to well over a dozen abandoned formerly manned backcountry Ranger Stations in New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California, and those are merely the sites I've personally visited. I was at one such site here in New Mexico over the Independence Day weekend.
I've only lived in New Mexico since 2002, and I've found one abandoned campground in between Grants and Ramah where the trash cans havn't been emptied since they used steel pop top cans...as the steel pop top cans are still inside the trash cans and the trash cans are still chained to the trees. The picnic tables are rotting away, and the outhouse is nearly fallen over. The campsites are pretty overgrown, but were still clearly visible two years ago.
I can also take you to several sites in the Cibola National Forest where trash cans used to be, but aren't anymore.
In July, 2009, I visited the sites of no less than six former campgrounds in Nevada, in an area roughly between Mesquite, Rachel, Pioche, and the Utah border. All of the sites formerly had garbage cans. In fact, we found it humorous that at one long abandoned site where the picnic tables were rotting away, apparently some state contractor must have still had the site on his list of improvements, because they had recently installed plastic animal barriers around the places where the trash cans USED to be. When I inquired about the place with the folks that own the only restaurant along 100 miles of remote east central Nevada highway, they didn't remember the place being maintained for over 20 years. It's not on any modern paper maps..but interestingly enough it IS in the database of my Garmin car GPS...but not in the database of either my Garmin or DeLorme backcountry GPS units.
I spend about two weeks a year in the Death Valley National Park area. There is a site in the remote "Nevada Triangle" of DVNP where a buddy of mine and myself pondered the usage of some strange, alien-looking steel and cast iron structures for about 5-10 minutes while drinking a beer and sitting at a picnic table. Finally, at almost the same moment, it suddenly hit us that the devices once held trash cans up about 6 inches off the ground and at an angle. There are at least two abandoned campgrounds in Death Valley National Park that used to have trash cans. And one still open campground between the Charcoal Kilns and Telescope Peak that used to have trash cans.
And as for your assertion that "those logging and mining roads are built with taxpayer money" as some sort of "corporate welfare", you are quite incorrect.
Do some research and you will see that most of the roads that exist on our public lands pre-date the existence of any government authority over the roads in the area. Indeed, many current roads follow the routes of pre-existing wagon trails or railroad routes.
In fact, getting ads due to "lack of funds".
I could provide dozens more examples, but I'm out of space.
Do your research, lest you look foolish.[/QUOTE]

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

Insider wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I agree, I have been there many times, but next time I go and want to camp, I will get a backcountry permit. I couldn't get over how close the campsites are there, no privacy whatsoever!
Its not just camping etc, its day trip picnics, like in the Sandia's. You have to pay to park in any of them, same at the Man Cave, same at the crest, and the snow play area. And anyplace else along the back road to Placitas from the crest road.

NM has some beautiful country that many enjoy but if the feds or state get a whiff a place is popular, here come the fee's! Its like they feel obligated to impose upon us. In some cases they do provide some good services, but they are more and more invasive as time passes, all IMO to justify them having a job.

Downsize government in this general area and let people be people and enjoy life for crissake. We paid once with our taxes already! BASTA!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Espanola Discussions

Search the Espanola Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
turley's mill (Apr '07) Jul 13 Darlene January 53
Study: NM internet speed among slowest in U.S. Jul 10 CornDogz 11
Ralph Martinez Espanola Officer Jason Gallegos Jul 8 RalphMartinez Jason Galle 2
tommy rodella past history , He was investigate... Jul 5 boregas 4
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Jun '14 grandfunkrailroad 6,065
Ralph Martinez Undercover OR Drug Transport Dealer Jun '14 Marsha 2
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Rio Arriba County was issued at July 28 at 4:04AM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Espanola Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Espanola People Search