Robert Redford, Governor announce fil...

Robert Redford, Governor announce film training program

There are 41 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from May 14, 2009, titled Robert Redford, Governor announce film training program. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Robert Redford and Governor Richardson announced a new project Thursday called "Sundance in New Mexico." It's not a film festival, but a sister program to Redford's training center for filmmakers in Utah.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#21 May 17, 2009
Sick Of Stupid wrote:
Oh one last thing , the averge local 423 member earns 15k a year out of that he pays $750 in union tax (assesment is what its called) and another $250 in dues . The IATSE president makes 200k a year no dues no assesment .
Boy thats fair ! were do I sign up ! not!
Hold it a second, never heard a union to charge a union tax (assessment)

Dues yes, paid those but that is all I ever had to pay, you mean here in NM they can screw you twice?
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#22 May 17, 2009
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold it a second, never heard a union to charge a union tax (assessment)
Dues yes, paid those but that is all I ever had to pay, you mean here in NM they can screw you twice?
For this union
http://www.iatse-intl.org/home.html
yes . In this union you pay quarterly dues, at $54 and if your working within the jurisdiction of your local you pay a 5%assessment out of every paycheck . If your working on the road out side of your local jurisdictionon you pay a 2% assesment to your home local and whatever the assesment is for the local your in .

I call it the union tax . In this state you can be forced to both join and pay assesments to a union in order to keep your job .If you get into trouble with your union , you can lose your job in this state.Getting in trouble with your union can be has simple has being behind on your assesment payments or dues .
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#23 May 17, 2009
Its well known the havoc and expense a union can cause a business owner or company . Not just in the organization of a work place but long after they have pushed their way in .

Rarely do you hear about the abuses of power and misuse of funds unions do to their own members and the workers they try and organize .

Not all unions are bad , but not all unions are good ether , in fact when they are bad they really sink to some obscene lows.
Basta

Bothell, WA

#24 May 17, 2009
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
SoS, you forget the good that unions have done. If you've ever worked a minimum-wage job, and not "We'll just pay you however little we want.," thank a union. Have benefits at your current job? Thank a union. Ever gotten overtime pay? Thank a union. The list could go on for a very long time.
No organization is perfect, but laying blame on unions just because they exist is rather silly, in the classical sense of the word.
Well, Silky, we do agree on one thing.

We have paid vacations, sick leave, CBA's because of unions.

Join today!
Basta

Albuquerque, NM

#25 May 17, 2009
Sick Of Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>For this union
http://www.iatse-intl.org/home.html
yes . In this union you pay quarterly dues, at $54 and if your working within the jurisdiction of your local you pay a 5%assessment out of every paycheck . If your working on the road out side of your local jurisdictionon you pay a 2% assesment to your home local and whatever the assesment is for the local your in .
I call it the union tax . In this state you can be forced to both join and pay assesments to a union in order to keep your job .If you get into trouble with your union , you can lose your job in this state.Getting in trouble with your union can be has simple has being behind on your assesment payments or dues .
Sure beats being employed by an employer who can fire you on the spot if you smoke and they don't like it or if you have 2 children instead of 3.
Basta

Albuquerque, NM

#26 May 17, 2009
Bien Venido, Roberto!

The Hispanic and Native American stories are old, traditional and basically unheard of outside of New Mexico. I am happy to hear you coming to our beautiful state to tell our stories!

The Milagro Beanfield War is one of my all-time favorites that was directed by Robert Redford and starred with Christopher Walken, Daniel Stern, John Heard, Richard Bradford, James Gammon, and Michelle Griffith - to name a few Anglo Americans, for those of you who think that he is just starring "Mexicans."

I am so happy to hear of this GREAT news!
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#27 May 17, 2009
Basta wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure beats being employed by an employer who can fire you on the spot if you smoke and they don't like it or if you have 2 children instead of 3.
I would agree but I hate to break it to you they can still do those same things to someone in a union . It just depends on the quality of your union if they get away with it .

Organized workers are one thing , I support that 110%, but its the afiliations and large internatinal unions that are a problem , The union bosses are every bit has greedy has the corperation ones .

Orginized workers working in soladerity can acomplish the same work place goals has big labor unions . The expense of paying fat cat union officers and staff is one a lot of workers cant afford even after the inital rase in pay a union brings .

Any size groupe of workers can join together and get all the same rights and tools has a large union . A large union is not a magic bullit , they still have to negotiate , and unless they have a stranglehold on the industry (UAW) A large union will still have to remain competitive with other companys to keep its mebers working

I stay away from working with large companys becouse the smaller ones seem more inclined and intrastid in keeping good workers , so have been more than fair . I actualy make more money now than I ever did when I belonged to a union , but that could also just be in my field .
Stupid New Mexican Wrote

North Augusta, SC

#28 May 17, 2009
Basta wrote:
Bien Venido, Roberto!
The Hispanic and Native American stories are old, traditional and basically unheard of outside of New Mexico. I am happy to hear you coming to our beautiful state to tell our stories!
The Milagro Beanfield War is one of my all-time favorites that was directed by Robert Redford and starred with Christopher Walken, Daniel Stern, John Heard, Richard Bradford, James Gammon, and Michelle Griffith - to name a few Anglo Americans, for those of you who think that he is just starring "Mexicans."
I am so happy to hear of this GREAT news!
Get real. Maybe you should travel outside the Rio Grand Valley (New Mexico) before you make a naive stupid comment like this. The rest of us throughout the USA are well educated and are well aware of our US History. Duh.
Basta

Florence, AL

#29 May 18, 2009
Stupid New Mexican Wrote wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real. Maybe you should travel outside the Rio Grand Valley (New Mexico) before you make a naive stupid comment like this. The rest of us throughout the USA are well educated and are well aware of our US History. Duh.
Really? Then why is it that I did not read in the US History books of Mexican Americans fighting for the Union in the Civil War?

Why is it that I never read in the history books of a Supreme Court decision of Hernandez versus Texas.(The Court held that the Fourteenth Amendment protects those beyond the racial classes of white or Negro, and extends to other racial groups, such as Mexican American in this case.)

This case was being heard at the exact same time that Brown versus Board of Education ("separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." As a result, de jure racial segregation was ruled a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.)

The day before the Hernandez case was being heard before the U.S. Supreme Court the Brown attorneys and NAACP lawyers were walking up the steps of the Supreme Court to have their case heard. Nothing in the U.S. History books about that.

So, please, don't tell me that I am "naive." The Hernandez case guaranteed the right to a jury of your peers.

Please do not tell me that you read about the struggles of Hispanics and Mexican Americans in the history books - we are erased. Mr. Redford is making great strides in protecting our heritage and our contribution in the annals of U.S. "History."

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#30 May 18, 2009
anybody hear a waaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance?

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#31 May 18, 2009
Basta wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Then why is it that I did not read in the US History books of Mexican Americans fighting for the Union in the Civil War?
Why is it that I never read in the history books of a Supreme Court decision of Hernandez versus Texas.(The Court held that the Fourteenth Amendment protects those beyond the racial classes of white or Negro, and extends to other racial groups, such as Mexican American in this case.)
This case was being heard at the exact same time that Brown versus Board of Education ("separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." As a result, de jure racial segregation was ruled a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.)
The day before the Hernandez case was being heard before the U.S. Supreme Court the Brown attorneys and NAACP lawyers were walking up the steps of the Supreme Court to have their case heard. Nothing in the U.S. History books about that.
So, please, don't tell me that I am "naive." The Hernandez case guaranteed the right to a jury of your peers.
Please do not tell me that you read about the struggles of Hispanics and Mexican Americans in the history books - we are erased. Mr. Redford is making great strides in protecting our heritage and our contribution in the annals of U.S. "History."
Agreed. Dred Scott notwithstanding. We now visit discrimination upon those who are descendants of those who discriminated. Make it an even playing field. Good thing that Hispanics weren't involved in any discrimination in their "Colonization of the New World." They deserve the special treatment because of their behavior.
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#32 May 18, 2009
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Dred Scott notwithstanding. We now visit discrimination upon those who are descendants of those who discriminated. Make it an even playing field. Good thing that Hispanics weren't involved in any discrimination in their "Colonization of the New World." They deserve the special treatment because of their behavior.
WOW, ouch
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#33 May 18, 2009
Mama wrote:
<quoted text>
You should check on www.nmfilm.com if the information you seek isn't there, call the nm film office.
I was wondering how long it would take the 'haters' to pipe in.... I'm not sure what lucrative business and economic idea they have- but so far the film industry has kepy me happily employed.
Yep a union lacky
Basta

Florence, AL

#34 May 18, 2009
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, do you have ANY idea of what you are talking about?!

What your ancestors and mine did to the Indians and Mexicans should never be forgotten, but the contributions (contributions being the key word here, genius, please READ) that your ancestors gave is prominently written in history books, my ancestors were erased.

“Down in the Bayou”

Vancleave Mississippi

#35 May 18, 2009
Basta wrote:
<quoted text>
What your ancestors and mine did to the Indians and Mexicans should never be forgotten, but the contributions (contributions being the key word here, genius, please READ) that your ancestors gave is prominently written in history books, my ancestors were erased.
they were conquered....just like hundreds of other savages were...to the victor go the spoils...

“Down in the Bayou”

Vancleave Mississippi

#36 May 18, 2009
should have read "hundreds of other groups of savages"....by the way..that is just evolution, the strongest survive and prosper..the weak and less evolved either die, or exist to serve the victors...

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#37 May 19, 2009
Basta wrote:
<quoted text>
And who would those ancestors be? Mine perished on Saint Bartholomew's Day. Others in Kamps. And don't call me genius. Save that for yourself.
Basta

Florence, AL

#38 May 19, 2009
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text> And who would those ancestors be? Mine perished on Saint Bartholomew's Day. Others in Kamps. And don't call me genius. Save that for yourself.
I knew you were just dying to get your ancestors out their Willothewisp.

Thanks for the compliment!
Basta

Florence, AL

#39 May 19, 2009
Daniel in Hobbs wrote:
should have read "hundreds of other groups of savages"....by the way..that is just evolution, the strongest survive and prosper..the weak and less evolved either die, or exist to serve the victors...
Wrong!

It is the strong who fight and die, it is the weak who live off the blood of the victors. You know, the Croxx and Bonz - a society of wannabe's who start wars, starve children and rape young boys and girls.

This is not writte in history books but in the Bible and Koran.

“Down in the Bayou”

Vancleave Mississippi

#40 May 19, 2009
Basta wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!
It is the strong who fight and die, it is the weak who live off the blood of the victors. You know, the Croxx and Bonz - a society of wannabe's who start wars, starve children and rape young boys and girls.
This is not writte in history books but in the Bible and Koran.
could be why I have no use for the bible nor the Quran...storybooks...not based in reality or facts...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Espanola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Sat More 6,866
News The Latest: Supporters line up for Trump in Alb... May '16 wowed 4
News Bill Clinton to campaign in New Mexico for Hill... May '16 Another 26
For Espanola, NM, And People Of THis Town (Nov '15) Jan '16 Food And 11
Corey Atencio Was Given Free Meal El Paragua Re... (Dec '15) Jan '16 marggie 3
87532 city hires, tony valdez warrrior boxer, c... (Feb '15) Jan '16 martinez 2
espanola Police Department lawenforcement (Feb '15) Dec '15 lana93 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Espanola Mortgages