Robert Redford, Governor announce fil...

Robert Redford, Governor announce film training program

There are 41 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from May 14, 2009, titled Robert Redford, Governor announce film training program. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Robert Redford and Governor Richardson announced a new project Thursday called "Sundance in New Mexico." It's not a film festival, but a sister program to Redford's training center for filmmakers in Utah.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Angelo Mitchell

Albuquerque, NM

#1 May 14, 2009
how do you get info on how to get in to this program this is somthing big and i was wondering how i could be part of that
Hello NM

Las Cruces, NM

#2 May 14, 2009
Re: Angelo Mitchell

How about you're stupid and are a Governors Office Public Relations plant. Robert Redford is a has-been along with Gov Bill's and Val Kilmer's Hollywood dreams. We need a real Governor with realistic NM citizens goals for NM economic job development. And that includes throwing Abq Marty out of office too.

Concha Pena

Huntsville, AL

#3 May 14, 2009
ROBERT REDFORD LOOKS OLD, HIS HAIR TOO GOLDEN. Money coming into the state could happen.
Sooooo

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 14, 2009
No New Mexican Anglos need apply? Seems a bit racist.
Magoo

Los Alamos, NM

#5 May 14, 2009
I thought he looked an awful lot like Darren White. Are they related? Maybe Darren White should star in some of the DUI and recruitment commercials. Gov looks like John Belushi who disappeared about the time the Governor's behavior became a little funny. I dunno. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or nothin' but I always think of Shirley McClain when I watch old Diane Denish movies.
Mama

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 May 14, 2009
Angelo Mitchell wrote:
how do you get info on how to get in to this program this is somthing big and i was wondering how i could be part of that
You should check on www.nmfilm.com if the information you seek isn't there, call the nm film office.

I was wondering how long it would take the 'haters' to pipe in.... I'm not sure what lucrative business and economic idea they have- but so far the film industry has kepy me happily employed.
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

#7 May 15, 2009
I think this is great news for New Mexico, although I feel it should be open to everybody including Gringos. One does not have to be Hispanic or Native American to be interested & well versed on their history & culture.
Chico

Santa Fe, NM

#8 May 15, 2009
GOOD GRIEF wrote:
I think this is great news for New Mexico, although I feel it should be open to everybody including Gringos. One does not have to be Hispanic or Native American to be interested & well versed on their history & culture.
Pobrecito are you feeling left out? The mainstream films are all white folks and America is made up of many so get over it, or better yet make a movie you lazy blogger!!!!!
Ret-Cop

United States

#9 May 15, 2009
As long as Redford does this on his own, he can discriminate based on any criteria.
If the State of New Mexico actively excludes anybody based on race, that practice is clearly illegal.
Bill is treading on shaky ground with this one.
Concha Pena

Huntsville, AL

#10 May 15, 2009
if you look the part might as well go for it...NM had no ANGLOS(GRINGOS) BECAUSE THE LAND REQUIRED SOME WORK TO PRODUCE ANYTHING. Maybe a dollar-hungry liquor salesman and a poor, captured girl to go with the sale. Lots of stories and you must look the part. Sorry if white Anglos weren't around then, why apply for the part? Go to Hollywood.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#11 May 17, 2009
I think it is only fair that all those who feel they have been discriminated against get to discriminate. It is the American Way. Good thing that Hispanics didn't discriminate in their conquering of South and Central America. If they had, they might be locked out of this deal as the Anglos are (Rightfully so).
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#12 May 17, 2009
It is just another IATSE scam The training will be expensive , The forced IATSE union membership will be expensive. The chance you will actualy get enough movie work to pay off those expenses and make a living are slim . Movies are a good old boy network , the amount of work you will ever get depends on who you know . The union will not help you to find work but will constantly demand payment in dues and union tax . I went through CNMs programe and am a former Union member , I still work in the field but no longer pay a tribute to the union I keep my money and work with a better class of people now .
New Mexico and Hollywood are exploiting the "Hollywood Dream" for all its worth and making tones cash at your expense . They make cash training you , cash from the insane union dues , and cash for pimping out the state . You the poor shmuck that falls for the con will spend more than you will ever make chasing the hollywood dream . The only way to make money out of the movies is to stay outside and sell them their equipment and supplys and gouge them for every little thing they want or use , they will pay and pay what ever you ask .Dont fall into the union trap .

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#13 May 17, 2009
great..this should employ a dozen or so people and turn around the economy!!!..yippeeee....

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#14 May 17, 2009
Redford has a great point...southwestern stories should only be filmed and directed by indians and mexicans, star trek films should only be directed by Klingons, and Romulans, WWII films only by Nazis and Kamakaze pilots.....yup..makes perfect sense...
Concha Pena

Colwell, IA

#15 May 17, 2009
you got it, Daniel in Hobbs

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#16 May 17, 2009
That leaves me out, I'm gonna sue based on racial discrimination.

Watch out R&R, Redford and Richardson.
Wake up

Las Cruces, NM

#17 May 17, 2009
Mama wrote:
<quoted text>
You should check on www.nmfilm.com if the information you seek isn't there, call the nm film office.
I was wondering how long it would take the 'haters' to pipe in.... I'm not sure what lucrative business and economic idea they have- but so far the film industry has kepy me happily employed.
And I was wondering just how long it would take the Governor's Office plants to pipe in. Go back to kissing a.s.s. you blind m.o.r.o.n.s.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#18 May 17, 2009
SoS, you forget the good that unions have done. If you've ever worked a minimum-wage job, and not "We'll just pay you however little we want.," thank a union. Have benefits at your current job? Thank a union. Ever gotten overtime pay? Thank a union. The list could go on for a very long time.

No organization is perfect, but laying blame on unions just because they exist is rather silly, in the classical sense of the word.
Sick Of Stupid

Urbana, IL

#19 May 17, 2009
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
SoS, you forget the good that unions have done. If you've ever worked a minimum-wage job, and not "We'll just pay you however little we want.," thank a union. Have benefits at your current job? Thank a union. Ever gotten overtime pay? Thank a union. The list could go on for a very long time.
No organization is perfect, but laying blame on unions just because they exist is rather silly, in the classical sense of the word.
First off I was speaking only of one union ,IATSE.

But lets look at some of the great things Unions in general have done for us .

When a cop or government employee screws up and gets put on PAID leave , thank a union.

When a union member is laid off , they collect unemployment , but they do not have to go look for work like a normal person , oh no all those job search requirements are waived for union members ,IATSE members average 6+ month's a year on unemployment . Thank the Unions for that drain on our tax dollars.

Now lets talk about those pensions and benefit's.IATSE local 423 , a 98 year old local , offers no pension plan and their Insurance only covers about 3 percent of the members that can afford it the rest can not afford to buy into the insurance program or pay its deductibles . Most local 423 members make less then 15k a year , no pension , no benefits , and half the year unemployed and milking the unemployment insurance Medicaid and food stamps .Thanks to a union.

Now lets look at the mafia mentality engulfing the unions again . IATSE has found that it has more success in gaining contracts if it can drive the competition out of business . They like to use threats and intimidation. If those fail then frivolous law suits are filed to try and bankrupt the competition . NLRB filings are at a all time high , members filing against their unions over all sorts of issues , from the mis use of PAC funds to discrimination and intimidation. Unions are having such a hard time getting new members they want to do away with the secret ballot for card checks . With out a secret ballot , they know exactly who they need to pressure and intimidate into signing on with the union .

You mite want to read up on how great unions really are .

http://www.nrtw.org/
Sick Of Stupid

Albuquerque, NM

#20 May 17, 2009
Oh one last thing , the averge local 423 member earns 15k a year out of that he pays $750 in union tax (assesment is what its called) and another $250 in dues . The IATSE president makes 200k a year no dues no assesment .
Boy thats fair ! were do I sign up ! not!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Espanola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Sun Marc 6,935
Police Activity Yesterday ? Jul '16 Pamela Simonton 1
News The Latest: Supporters line up for Trump in Alb... May '16 wowed 4
News Bill Clinton to campaign in New Mexico for Hill... May '16 Another 26
For Espanola, NM, And People Of THis Town (Nov '15) Jan '16 Food And 11
Corey Atencio Was Given Free Meal El Paragua Re... (Dec '15) Jan '16 marggie 3
87532 city hires, tony valdez warrrior boxer, c... (Feb '15) Jan '16 martinez 2

Espanola Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance