Bill offers treatment to some drug offenders

There are 28 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Mar 22, 2011, titled Bill offers treatment to some drug offenders. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

Allowing the option of sending some people charged with drug possession to treatment rather than jail will benefit the state by reducing court costs and repeat offenders, a state lawmaker said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
grey matter

Silver City, NM

#21 Mar 28, 2011
The bill sounds good, but what and where are the "treatment" facilities? Are they adequate to meet the needs? Is there any evidence they actually work?
Que Loco

United States

#22 Mar 28, 2011
home run wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are helping. They are not medical facilities and most people needing treatment need to be in a hospital setting at first. A person ''drying out'' can have heart attack, stroke or die. There is a mens out reach in Deming at the old sunshine school. Its like a half way house. It is sponsered by a church. They are doing a great job of helping. Healing, education, living, working staying sober and drug free its a big process. What kind of other programs do you want the churches to offer? Would you like to be a part of the ''stepping up to the plate?''. I think its called ''victory out reach''. They have stepped up to the plate. its takes a team to make a home run .
Victory Out reach is a joke how many of your men as well as women are still getting high in there not to mention other things. They spend one year in there because there ordered to and then come back out and do the same thing.When a person is ordered by the court system to do this its not because his heart is in it its because he would rather spend time out there then in jail. By the way how much money do you get from the county to have that building out there not to mention living a tax free life. Get a job and pay your way.
home run

Tularosa, NM

#23 Mar 28, 2011
Que Loco wrote:
<quoted text>
Victory Out reach is a joke how many of your men as well as women are still getting high in there not to mention other things. They spend one year in there because there ordered to and then come back out and do the same thing.When a person is ordered by the court system to do this its not because his heart is in it its because he would rather spend time out there then in jail. By the way how much money do you get from the county to have that building out there not to mention living a tax free life. Get a job and pay your way.
Wow you have me mixed up with some one else. I pay taxes, the county gives me NOTHING , I pay my way. A tax free life .... that would be nice! I even pay taxes on the county owned bar. If this program helps a few its good. A beginning is a good thing. I would honestly like to find a way to help people with addictions get their lives back. Its like a cancer thats spreading in Luna County. Some people survive and too many can not get rid of it.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#24 Mar 28, 2011
Que Loco wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up smoking pot and I never remember ever getting behind a wheel and driving crazy or swerving all over the road like people do when their drunk. Alcohal has killed alot more people that pot has. I dont agree with those that are doing crack(meth) this people need help but only if they want it. Let me ask this of you what about the churches here in town why are they not stepping up to the plate and offering drug and alcohal abuse programs? Dont you think that they should train people and do this? I know I just opened a can of worms but I would like to hear some opinions on this .
"I grew up smoking pot" is an oxymoron, Pal.
Que Loco

United States

#25 Mar 28, 2011
Bellcrank wrote:
<quoted text>

Better said I grew up in the era of pot smokers and indulged in that activity myself, there were no arrests except for a few that were caught by their parents and called the police. It wasnt until people started alot of money that the goverment got involved in this.Still to this day they are trying to make money out of this,tax it and leave those pot heads alone.less crime and illegal drugs to include cartels making million's.
I dont agree with the crack heads or wht you call meth addiction,they need help but first they have to come to a place in their life where they have to admit it they want help.

Step 1: I admit I have a Problem. There is where all this begins it starts with you asking and admitting you have a problem and need and want help. Most of these addicts will agree to go those programs only to not be incarcerated in the detention facilities. And the Tax Payer flips the bill, No More free rides make them work and earn their money while they are going through the program.
Que Loco

United States

#26 Mar 28, 2011
Bellcrank wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh by the way to you bellcrank, at least I admitted that I did smoked pot and even inhaled it, But of course you have never did. Your just a social drinker, thats what they all say.
Itz already law

United States

#27 Mar 29, 2011
Que Loco wrote:
Can someone tell me what the pro and cons are tothis program. Okay so they dont place them in detention centers but they have to send probation officers to monitor them and then drug test them and then place them in rehab homes and the taxpayer flips the bill?? Am I right not to mention feeding them at these facilities. Does this Maestas guy have something to do with these halfway houses?..Just wondering.
Part of law from way back-johnson's whole quest was not to legalize marijuana, but move treatment fro ma mandatory to a discretionary spending item. Right now, under state law, it's mandated that people caught must get state paid treatment and then expungement, not discretionary. It's just the legislature pulling a fast one over dumb new mexicans who don't know the law.
just sayin

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Mar 31, 2011
we can all complain all we want about drug addicts and the problems, but look at it from another view. How many jobs are provided because of it. If there were no drugs or addicts there wouldn't be a need for as many cops, probation officers, counselors, and then think about how many jobs the rehabs offer. They need clerks, nurses, doctors, counselors, ect. you get the point. Drug addicts are people too. For future questions, yes I'm one of those people that got in trouble, took the treatment, and still clean and with every cell in my body I want to keep it that way. So I thank each and every one of you tax payers for the opportunity, even the ones that disagree with the program. I'm now a productive member of society and a very loving mother. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Espanola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 3 min Sylvia 6,377
News Jicarilla jingle dress (Feb '06) May 1 Wanda 2
The Slugs to Sludge Wastewater 5K Apr 28 Jessica Mosleh 1
News Small town takes on Corporate America Mar '15 Shopper 2
espanola nm corruption ;) , i am everywhere a m... Feb '15 thomas 2
espanola,nm open investigation with help of ex ... Feb '15 gallegos tita 1
87532 city hires, tony valdez warrrior boxer, c... Feb '15 timmy 1
More from around the web

Espanola People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE