a way to REALLY help the drug users i...

a way to REALLY help the drug users in the community..

Posted in the Erwin Forum

ttsw454

Knoxville, TN

#1 Feb 27, 2013
with all the drug use in Unicoi County lately, you'd think our local government would want to do something to help these people instead of just busting them, putting them in jail, and then either they snitch and get themselves out or get bailed out, then they are right back to doing it all over again. I think that a local "Recovery Program" would do this county some good. If we had a suboxone/subutex clinic that was closer and more convenient for our people to go to, don't you think more people would actually want to go through with the road to recovery and get real help from a doctor rather than putting our childrens lives in danger by making meth and dealing everything else. I know a lot of people who are now off of street drugs and get suboxone and they will tell you that it has saved their life. I dont want to start an argument, just want opinions on this. And if you've never been an addict, please dont down the people that are, or have been in the past, addiction is a disease just as cancer is.(No, I am not an addict, but have some family and friends who are or were at one point) Thanks for all positive input!
dick

Knoxville, TN

#2 Feb 27, 2013
the county has already helped the drug problem by voting kent harris out of office and electing someone who is sending these thugs to prison instead of kent harris rehab program, we all know what that en "tails". and the best thing is tony clark is going to send kent to the same prison these thugs are going to be. ooooh the fun they will have.
ttsw454

Knoxville, TN

#3 Feb 27, 2013
First, this topic has nothing to do with Kent or anyone else, can people really not have ONE topic that doesnt involve talking about him??.. second, obviously the drug problems are not solved in this county at all, seeing as we are still hearing something new all the time about drug busts and drug dealers and drug users.

Since: Nov 12

Johnson City, TN

#4 Feb 27, 2013
I think the county should come together to find a way to help these people not put them in jail on tax payers expense. If we can find a program that will help a few then it will be worth it. I know some who don't want off drugs no matter what and some would if there was help for them without fear of being arrested.
Snake Eyes

Elizabethton, TN

#5 Feb 27, 2013
ttsw454 wrote:
with all the drug use in Unicoi County lately, you'd think our local government would want to do something to help these people instead of just busting them, putting them in jail, and then either they snitch and get themselves out or get bailed out, then they are right back to doing it all over again. I think that a local "Recovery Program" would do this county some good. If we had a suboxone/subutex clinic that was closer and more convenient for our people to go to, don't you think more people would actually want to go through with the road to recovery and get real help from a doctor rather than putting our childrens lives in danger by making meth and dealing everything else. I know a lot of people who are now off of street drugs and get suboxone and they will tell you that it has saved their life. I dont want to start an argument, just want opinions on this. And if you've never been an addict, please dont down the people that are, or have been in the past, addiction is a disease just as cancer is.(No, I am not an addict, but have some family and friends who are or were at one point) Thanks for all positive input!
I am all for getting people the help they need, but many just use suboxone as a replacement addiction. I also have read many stories of late where people just sale their suboxone instead of taking it for its intended purpose. Also, a suboxone clinic would attract other addicts from outside the region into our town. So, I am going to have to disagree with your assertion that we need a clinic in our town.

Also, drug addiction is nothing like cancer. Besides smokers, not too many people who have cancer went out and actively participated in a activity that caused them to obtain it.
JusttheFacts

Cookeville, TN

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Once you remove the political and legal powers who are making the money dealing the drugs in this county, things will start to get better. It seems like they are starting to. A suboxone clinic isn't the answer. It's just a paycheck for the pharmaceutical companies. Anyway, drug addicts just sell their suboxone as well. I believe that the best way to address the problem would be a detox/rehab of some sort. Local, like the jail, because no matter what, it will be the taxpayers that pay. Instead of prison sentences that don't change their behavior, force them to quit under medical care cold turkey. I would much rather see my tax dollars go to something like that than a continual dole to big pharm. Getting truly clean is an option. Follow with very regular and often therapy/meetings/support groups for a year maybe. It is a disease. True medical care with a drug free goal is better than a prison term to learn new tricks.
sorry

Maxton, NC

#7 Feb 27, 2013
Jail or a rehab program cost tax payers. No way around it unless the person on drugs pays their way. The recidivism rate on people re offending is not good. Its the same as the incarceration rate almost. The basic easy way of avoiding this is dont do drugs and everyone is happy. There will always be drugs and nothing we can do locally or nationally. Look at alcohol and how they tried to stop it.
raccad

Rochester, PA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
http://youtube.com/watch... …… Question a period
hotshot54

Church Hill, VA

#9 Feb 27, 2013
I my self im addict and I went to a suboxone clinic and it helped me get off everything. You got to want to do it for yourself and go to meeting and you have to want to get better. Me on hand I got sick of blowing all my money all I worried about was my next fix and it cost me alot of things. But the main reason I got addicted to pills is because I was running around with the wrong people. I tryed everyway to kick drugs cold turkey didnt work you have got to get into a program and stick with it. Another thing that helped me out is I got back into church and got saved and made sure I did not miss a church service. And Erwin does have a place to go to an AA meeting which is the same thing as a NA meeting its at the mental health place beside the old sonic they have meetings their every Tuesday at 530. But if the people dont want to get better inside them they aint going to. I dont do anything but work go to meetings and church. An being an addict is a sickness you take pills so long that is all your brain thinks about I have been clean for 2 years now and I still have times that I want to get high but they teach in meeting on what to do.
i am not here

Johnson City, TN

#10 Feb 27, 2013
dick wrote:
the county has already helped the drug problem by voting kent harris out of office and electing someone who is sending these thugs to prison instead of kent harris rehab program, we all know what that en "tails". and the best thing is tony clark is going to send kent to the same prison these thugs are going to be. ooooh the fun they will have.
By all means, Dick, if you find yourself without sin, then keep spewing your hatred.
This thread is in no way related to Kent Harris.
bijou

Johnson City, TN

#11 Feb 28, 2013
i am not here wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means, Dick, if you find yourself without sin, then keep spewing your hatred.
This thread is in no way related to Kent Harris.
these guys are like a drunk at a party who butts in to a group conversation when he doesn't know what's being talked about.
brilliant.
and if you notice, these "drunks" have butted themselves into just about every thread topic on the erwin site.
JusttheFacts

Cookeville, TN

#12 Mar 1, 2013
hotshot54 wrote:
I my self im addict and I went to a suboxone clinic and it helped me get off everything. You got to want to do it for yourself and go to meeting and you have to want to get better. Me on hand I got sick of blowing all my money all I worried about was my next fix and it cost me alot of things. But the main reason I got addicted to pills is because I was running around with the wrong people. I tryed everyway to kick drugs cold turkey didnt work you have got to get into a program and stick with it. Another thing that helped me out is I got back into church and got saved and made sure I did not miss a church service. And Erwin does have a place to go to an AA meeting which is the same thing as a NA meeting its at the mental health place beside the old sonic they have meetings their every Tuesday at 530. But if the people dont want to get better inside them they aint going to. I dont do anything but work go to meetings and church. An being an addict is a sickness you take pills so long that is all your brain thinks about I have been clean for 2 years now and I still have times that I want to get high but they teach in meeting on what to do.
Congratulations on getting clean and working to stay that way. You should be very proud as that is not an easy thing to do. It's great that you put some helpful info out there too about meetings. Thank you for your positive input and prayers for your continued sobriety.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erwin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Business In Town? 1 hr motor man 3
Erwin Radio Station 10 hr Maria cant do math 138
karen seely anderson? 20 hr Erwinsfinest 152
Why does Blue Devil Coach leave his boys hangin... 20 hr Blueblu 23
Dorris Hensley how Sun Gear jammer 1
Did Mike Hensley get caught with Mitzi Bowen? (Jan '16) Sun Hog fish 3
Erwin Police refused to help (May '16) Sun Hog fish 3
Erwin motors Sun Umpire 42

Erwin Jobs

More from around the web