Big Black Cat sightings
Country Girl

Ashburn, VA

#168 Nov 1, 2010
cathe wrote:
I live in indiana.. I saw 2 black panthers.. 1 bigger then the other.. the smallest 1 was up in our pine trees ..it attack my 600 pd filly.. she broke out of her fence.. or it would have killed her .. have a live trap set for it now.. going to shoot them if they come back.. I have 6 grand kids that play in my back yard also have 3 boxers,, it was as big as my largest boxer bout 95 pounds.. has any1 else in my state seen them?
I also live in Indiana and for yrs now we have always heard of the black cat..or whatever it is...recently we have heard more sightings of it in the area my neighbor watched it for over an hour out the kitchen window playing in a field. She said it was definitely a cat... her husband saw it a month prior to that laying on a large round hay bale one morning. My husband and daughters have heard it. He is a crop applicator and say it jump out of a tree one day as he sprayed the crops... I would like to know if they are legal to hunt.. or why are there some many of them all of a sudden... what's there habitat ect....
Country Girl

Ashburn, VA

#169 Nov 1, 2010
P.S. I live in Daviess County real close to the Martin County line. There are difinitely bobcats here... I heard the Crane Naval center has warned their employees not to walk near the woods on their lunch hour because of the cats.... scary!
alisha

United States

#170 Nov 2, 2010
Ok the person that posted about the panthers in Indiana. This has me scared because their was a mountain lion spotted on IND 37 Saturday and my fiancee and his friend hunt EVERY morning and every evening it seems we are getting more and more big cats in our state. A littel scary if you ask me.
nanodelle

United States

#171 Nov 4, 2010
I am wondering if the so-called black panthers aren't a.) escaped black leopards or b.) escaped black jaguars, neither of which is native to North America. The other thing is that there are upon occasion, melanistic or black bobcats, and jaguarundis in the Southwest.
I have no doubt that there are Eastern cougars, rare though they may be. Darkish brown, maybe; not black.
T Richardson

Blacksburg, VA

#172 Nov 7, 2010
One of these black cats has been spotted by some guys that work at a local rock quarry in Culpeper, VA. It has also been seen on a deer camera in the woods where my family hunts. A few years ago some cattle were attacked by something that left claw marks all over the bodies and a woman's goats were eaten and carried over a fence. No one knows exactly what this thing is but its great to hear others have seen something similar.
Dale Power

Vancouver, WA

#173 Nov 8, 2010
Hi T. Richardson
If you know where the deer camera pic are can you get they put up so we all can see them ? Thank you for the info .
Indiana

Lexington, KY

#174 Nov 18, 2010
cathe wrote:
I live in indiana.. I saw 2 black panthers.. 1 bigger then the other.. the smallest 1 was up in our pine trees ..it attack my 600 pd filly.. she broke out of her fence.. or it would have killed her .. have a live trap set for it now.. going to shoot them if they come back.. I have 6 grand kids that play in my back yard also have 3 boxers,, it was as big as my largest boxer bout 95 pounds.. has any1 else in my state seen them?
I seen a black cat last weekend hunting in laweranceburg. I think it was a panther. How close are you to laweranceburg?
Indiana

Lexington, KY

#175 Nov 18, 2010
I was deer hunting in laweranceburg last weekend and seen a big black cat come over the hill it went under a tree with a bunch of doves in it. I didn't see the cat again. What would it have been.
Indiana

Lexington, KY

#176 Nov 18, 2010
DJ vinson wrote:
I also wanted to comment that bobcats are common in south east Indiana where I live and they rescently caught a black bobcat in Florida you can find pics of this I wonder if some of the sightings might be black bob cats.
I was hunting around your city in Dover. I seen a big black cat Have you heard of any other sighting.
spencer S

Odessa, MO

#177 Nov 19, 2010
I saw it too. I was walking with my baby cousins and there it was looking at us took a few steps toward us then ran off. The next day I saw two playing right behind where the first one came in. The same thing happened to me I reported it to the Missouri Department of Conservation and they told me it was a bobcat. I got so mad so i went back to see if I could find any evidence i found remains of A dead cow and lots of matted down grass especially by a brook and a large rock.
Bullseye

Poughkeepsie, NY

#178 Nov 28, 2010
Dave7637550234 wrote:
Hello all-
I'm beginning production of a television program on Big Cats for a national cable network.
I'm interested in hearing about any recent big black cat sightings in your area.
An acquaintance recommended I might have some luck among the many hunters in the Eros area.
I am especially intersted in physical evidence of big black cats: Video, photos or hair.
Post here or call me at the number attached to my name at left.
Thanks!
Are you interested in a sighting in the state of NY?
Sebastian Delgado

Manassas, VA

#179 Nov 29, 2010
I fell asleep once in my living room I was having dreams through the night and was waking up but I thought it was just a stupid dreams so I just went back to sleep until I woke up one more time and felt like something was behind me so I turned around and saw a black cat laying down on the floor but you could only see the outline of the cat nothing else it was like a shadow really really black darker than it was in my living room at the time and my tv wasn't fully off only the cable box so my tv was giving off a little light that you could see the details of thing around my living room but you could not see the detail of it's nose, it's paws, it's eyes you could just see the outline of it's body and it was just standing perfectly still and then I looked around to see if anything else was odd in my living room then looked back at the place where it was at and it was gone.
Shreffy

Barberton, OH

#180 Dec 4, 2010
Hi guys...My name is Josh Shreffler from Franklin, PA in Venango County...Was deer hunting on a friend's property on Shaffer Run Rd. about 3 1/2 miles from Reno, PA in Venango County today (which is December 4th, 2010)....I was sitting in my tree stand on the very back edge of his property which is a good 20 minute hike from the house...I know there are bears out there for sure because he has them on his trail cam and in particular and mama bear and her cub have been spotted roaming out there but this was definitely no bear, it was a big cat of some kind...At around 1:00 P.M. today I happened to catch some movement out of the corner of my eye to the right of me...It was easy to see because the ground is covered in snow...so I turned my head to the right and noticed something black moving to my right about 80 yards or so from me...At first I thought maybe it was the bear cub and watched it for a second or two then I looked again and saw it had a long slender tail and a slender body and immediately ruled out that it was a bear....I watched it a few more seconds and could see clearly that it was a black cat of some sort. It then went behind some brush and I kept my eye on where it went waiting for this black cat to come out from behind the downed tree top...It hopped up over one of the tree top's branches and continued walking up the hill behind me and to my right...I could definitely tell it was a big cat of some sort because I could clearly see the tail well....I thought it was pretty cool to see a mountain lion especially a black one in the woods because I have never seen one in the wild before...I wouldn't think it was a house cat, I was wayyyyyyyyy back in the woods... and my friend doesn't have any pet cats so I definitely think this big black cat was a black mountain lion.

Is the black color of a mountain lion just a color phase or a form albinoism?? I have been researching it since I have been home and the articles I have read say the black color of a mountain lion is rare...The only color I ever thought a mountain lion would be is tan or tawny...I know absolutely for sure that there are mountain lions here in Venango County...A guy my mom works with has pics (which I have seen) of one on his trail cam out in Rouseville, PA which is a few miles from where I was hunting in Reno, PA...So if the Game Commission says there are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania then they are very mistaken and need to spend some time out in the woods....There are mountain lions here in Venango County that I know of for sure...I have seen it for myself. Thanks guys :) My contact info is below if you would need it :)

~Josh Shreffler~

Franklin, PA
Donna Suthard

Borger, TX

#181 Dec 6, 2010
DJ vinson wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in south east Indiana along the ohio river valley accross from ky tristate area IN KY OH I have heard of sightings from my grandma for years and then my aunt and uncle seen one run accross the road in front of them this happened in switzerland county which is all hills and forest area perfect for them.
I l had an experience with a Black Panther in Owensburg Indiana on rd 635 south..It happened about 7 years ago, and I was walking my bassett hound, in October on our property..I saw a large black animal sitting by the road..I was about 100 ft from it..I thought it was a black labrador named Jake that often came to visit me..I called out to him, yelling his name with my arms waving..he didn't respond, at first, I sensed immediately something was wrong, and I got my dog into the house,,, I went back outside again, and yelled again, This time, in 1 leap, with his hips high up in the air, he leaped in front of me, into the woods..I was scared and dashed into the house..a neighbor had an encounter with him next..only she was closer..I informed DNR...It was a incredible experience..and they DO EXIST..in Indiana as well....
curtis white

Wenatchee, WA

#182 Dec 26, 2010
Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
I am from Arkansas also. In 1994, I and my two sons saw a black Panther at the intersection of the Boswell Rd and Sadieville Road near the White River just about 7 mile down river from Calico Rock, Arkansas. It was walking just inside the woods adjacent to a gravel road. It stood close to waist high (3'). It was over 40" long from nose to rear end. Its tail was another 30" to 36" long. It was big, coal black with yellow eyes. We watched it walk past us broad sided for about 40yds, then it turned left up the side of Sadieville Road walking directly away from us. The big cat never looked our way or even acted like we were there. Two weeks later my oldest son and I spotted the big black cat sitting off Jumbo Road on a little rise watching some cattle with calves. We watched it again for a while, but it never moved. We went on with our visit to Melbourne. Came back the same route and the cattle and calves were still about the same area, but the big black cat was gone. I have spent alot of time in the Ozarks hunting and fishing. The above is the only times I ever saw such a big black cat. I don't know what the proper name is, but we call it a black panther. This sighting was in Izard County, Arkansas
in Beech Grove i was in lafe right out side of there im sure you know where that is but anyway i was out looking for shroom wone night with a light on my head and i was walking up over a hill side i was looking down i happen to look up and there was feamil black panther with 2 cubs looking right at me i thank it was my light keeping her a way she was about 30feet a way there or more aout there i seen them more the one they wold come up on my porch at night and take what was left of the deer that we wold shot anyways nice to know someone els is still seing them
Bev

United States

#183 Jan 1, 2011
Please stop referring to these cats as "panthers." They are not black bobcats. They are amur leopards. There are two main parents. One in Lanesville near the corn maze, it is a regular leopard with spots. The female lives in caves on our farm. There is no one with the expertist to trap them. Their home front is a 20 mile radius. Their migratory front is 300 miles. Normally, she appears in March and migrates south along the Ohio river in November or December depending on how cold it gets here.
The male will not enter the females territory unless it is time to breed.
For three days they will breed and he returns to his area. In 2009, she gave birth to her first cub. I understand they nurse and train the cub for 2 yrs., then the cub gets it's own area. I have only witnessed her stalking a two year old child, but she did not attack, most likely because there were several children playing in a group. I have however seen her take down a deer while chasing it at a very fast speed. The FedX driver saw her climbing a tree trying to get turkeys for lunch.
The reason I stated don't refer to the black cats as black panthers is because there are no such things (scientifically) identified as panthers it is a term for any kind of large black cat (except house cats of course!) These cats are about the size of a large labordor retreiver dog. They are not ever tame. They do kill house cats, dogs, and I know of one baby calf. Them are former exotics that have broken out. If you want to know more I encourage you to research leopards.
I promise after you do you will be very careful. Mostly they are out after dusk and hidden before dawn. They are excellant in adapting. Her next litter can be as many as 5 or 6 babies. Please vote to not allow the sale or ownership of these and other exotics. It is a danger to the public. It is a very wrong way to treat these animals!!!!!!

Since: Nov 10

Vancouver, WA

#184 Jan 1, 2011
Bev

IF you have this Leopard on your farm ! Get some one to take a pic. so we all wll know your not BSing us.
Dillon

Clarksville, TN

#185 Jan 9, 2011
It was a few months after the ice storm in Kentucky that hit on Feb. 2, 2009. My dad asked me to take the trash out so i did. Since we live around woods the ice storm did some damage to our woods and blocked off our path entrance in the corner of our field. Also in that corner was a small pine 4ft that fell. White taking the trash out i looked in the corner to view our once path again. When i did i saw a large black cat that was 4ft long, not including his tail, bc he was right in front of the small pine. I saw it for about 7 seconds then it took off into our nieghbor stews woods who hasn't built yet. About a month after that my dad was woken by a animal schrill outside. He links it was a bobcat that made the noise but im certian it was the black cat still hanging around bc stews land has a large pond with many runnoffs. Comment if youve seen nything else in this aREA!!
Bell S

Columbia City, IN

#186 Jan 22, 2011
I live in Randolph County Indiana and about a month ago their was a very large black cat spotted in the cemetery near my house. One of my friends uncles is the caretaker of the cemetery and she said i should go talk to him because he is the one that spotted it. He told me his dog went nuts one night with barking, something very unusual. the cemetry is a bigger one with lots of equipment on site and some of it not in out buildings so he went to make sure no one was stealing anything and a black panther jumped towards him when he was doing his check. he threw a small concreat block at the cat and it took off. the next day he went to take a closer look in the day light and found tracks bigger than a large dog. he has had several more sightings of the cat and as have some of his emploees. then last week the morning after our trash went i was at the mail box and seen some very large paw prints in the snow near our mail box...just wondering if anyone else from the area around Fountain Park Cemetery in Winchester knows anything. Im pregnant and often outside after dark due to a second shift job and want to know all i can about the situation.
Teresa D Campbell

Loyalton, CA

#187 Jan 23, 2011
Bev wrote:
Please stop referring to these cats as "panthers." They are not black bobcats. They are amur leopards. There are two main parents. One in Lanesville near the corn maze, it is a regular leopard with spots. The female lives in caves on our farm. There is no one with the expertist to trap them. Their home front is a 20 mile radius. Their migratory front is 300 miles. Normally, she appears in March and migrates south along the Ohio river in November or December depending on how cold it gets here.
The male will not enter the females territory unless it is time to breed.
For three days they will breed and he returns to his area. In 2009, she gave birth to her first cub. I understand they nurse and train the cub for 2 yrs., then the cub gets it's own area. I have only witnessed her stalking a two year old child, but she did not attack, most likely because there were several children playing in a group. I have however seen her take down a deer while chasing it at a very fast speed. The FedX driver saw her climbing a tree trying to get turkeys for lunch.
The reason I stated don't refer to the black cats as black panthers is because there are no such things (scientifically) identified as panthers it is a term for any kind of large black cat (except house cats of course!) These cats are about the size of a large labordor retreiver dog. They are not ever tame. They do kill house cats, dogs, and I know of one baby calf. Them are former exotics that have broken out. If you want to know more I encourage you to research leopards.
I promise after you do you will be very careful. Mostly they are out after dusk and hidden before dawn. They are excellant in adapting. Her next litter can be as many as 5 or 6 babies. Please vote to not allow the sale or ownership of these and other exotics. It is a danger to the public. It is a very wrong way to treat these animals!!!!!!
Hi Bev, I agree they are not Bobcats. They are however, panthers! I have seen one myself in my area. One or two might be escaped exotics, but the majority have come up from Central and South America over the years because of the warming of the climate. They have adapted to the winter here. I live in NE Wash. State and saw one right next to my house in the summer a couple of years ago.
Have a good day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eros Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Duke Sonnier Jr. facing aggravated domestic abu... (Aug '10) Jun 28 Username 33
March Flood (Oct '16) Jun 26 Cottonmouth 13
veterans transport Jun '17 HARDY 1
News DA Probes Caldwell Parish Sheriff for Ticket Fi... (Mar '11) Jun '17 objective observer 99
Jason smith Apr '17 Clark 1
sheriff bennett Apr '17 YardDart 2
Family Dollar (Dec '16) Feb '17 LELE42 2

Eros Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eros Mortgages