Our View: Why Erie needs state transp...

Our View: Why Erie needs state transportation bill

There are 27 comments on the Erie Times News story from Nov 19, 2013, titled Our View: Why Erie needs state transportation bill. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

Pennsylvania's roads, bridges and mass transit systems are in desperate need of new state funding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Typical

Cleveland, OH

#1 Nov 20, 2013
Bizzarro say NO to jobs
Fabrizio says NO to jobs
Harkins says NO to jobs

Lucas says YES
Typical

Cleveland, OH

#2 Nov 20, 2013
Bizzarro say NO to safe bridges and roads
Fabrizio says NO to safe bridges and roads
Harkins says NO to safe bridges and roads

Lucas says YES, I will keep you, and your family, safe
screwed by republicans

Sharon, PA

#3 Nov 20, 2013
republicans vote to raise gas tax 30 cents a gallon so the erie port authority can build more marinas for millionare boat owners. penndot will now have alot more money to waste on pork projects, worthless studys, grants to non tax paying non profit groups etc. state legislatures dont even pay for their own gas , the tax payers of pa do. the next hit for PA. taxpayers will be house bill 343 regulating private water wells, sponsered by republicans of course. these moderate republicans such as curt sonney,ron miller need to be voted out of office next election.
screwed by republicans

Sharon, PA

#4 Nov 20, 2013
after voting republican in every recent election, i will never vote republican again after this vote raising the gas tax in pa. this is a direct attack on the middle class. low income citizens ride the bus for free in addition to welfare, food stamps, free healthcare, free heat, free housing, and on and on. the pa department of transportation wastes more money in a day than most middle class citizens make in a year.pa rep brad roe deserves a hand shake for voting no on this hideous bill.to bad there are not more real republicans like him in pa.i agree about curt sonney, he seems more like a liberal than a republican. i hope someone runs against him next election, even a democrat.
Maddog

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Nov 20, 2013
screwed by republicans wrote:
after voting republican in every recent election, i will never vote republican again after this vote raising the gas tax in pa. this is a direct attack on the middle class. low income citizens ride the bus for free in addition to welfare, food stamps, free healthcare, free heat, free housing, and on and on. the pa department of transportation wastes more money in a day than most middle class citizens make in a year.pa rep brad roe deserves a hand shake for voting no on this hideous bill.to bad there are not more real republicans like him in pa.i agree about curt sonney, he seems more like a liberal than a republican. i hope someone runs against him next election, even a democrat.
I cannot believe these legislatures want to put this bill on the backs of the citizens of Pennsylvania instead of taxing the natural gas industry like other states do. I like both Bizzaro,s and Harkins bill taking out a bond could work in conjunction with taxing gas drillers. But dumping this on us is ludicrous. There's going to be alot of dumping in the next upcoming election.
what

Erie, PA

#6 Nov 20, 2013
Maddog wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot believe these legislatures want to put this bill on the backs of the citizens of Pennsylvania instead of taxing the natural gas industry like other states do. I like both Bizzaro,s and Harkins bill taking out a bond could work in conjunction with taxing gas drillers. But dumping this on us is ludicrous. There's going to be alot of dumping in the next upcoming election.
Take out a bond? Are you nuts? Do you know what debt service is?

Id rather pay the gas tax. People should drive less anyway. Walk more a bit and you wouldnt all be so fat.
You asked for it

Erie, PA

#7 Nov 20, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
Take out a bond? Are you nuts? Do you know what debt service is?
Id rather pay the gas tax. People should drive less anyway. Walk more a bit and you wouldnt all be so fat.
Every business that exists uses fuel. It's not a matter of the pittance that you pay. The cost of that tax will be passed through at every level. I doubt that the implications will penetrate the density of your skull.
Fill it up

Erie, PA

#8 Nov 21, 2013
Typical wrote:
Bizzarro say NO to jobs
Fabrizio says NO to jobs
Harkins says NO to jobs
Lucas says YES
I guess it's easy for "Typical" from Ohio to support a bill that will increase gas prices in Pennsylvania. I can't wait to support a "pork" project in Ohio that will raise their gas prices by 30 cents per gallon.

We are already taxed too much in PA, the answer isn't more taxes, the answer is controlled spending. I am a registered republican living in Erie PA. I support Democratic Reps Harkins, Bizzarro and Fabrizio for opposing the bill. Any business in PA that pays to have goods brought into the state or sent out of the state, is going to pass their increased costs onto the consumer. We are all going to pay more at the pump and at the store counter. If you really want to create more jobs, lower the cost of doing business so employers can grow their business' and hire more employees.
OMG

Erie, PA

#9 Nov 21, 2013
Fill it up wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's easy for "Typical" from Ohio to support a bill that will increase gas prices in Pennsylvania. I can't wait to support a "pork" project in Ohio that will raise their gas prices by 30 cents per gallon.
We are already taxed too much in PA, the answer isn't more taxes, the answer is controlled spending. I am a registered republican living in Erie PA. I support Democratic Reps Harkins, Bizzarro and Fabrizio for opposing the bill. Any business in PA that pays to have goods brought into the state or sent out of the state, is going to pass their increased costs onto the consumer. We are all going to pay more at the pump and at the store counter. If you really want to create more jobs, lower the cost of doing business so employers can grow their business' and hire more employees.
Safe roads and bridges for my family please! At any cost!!!!!
So Confused

Erie, PA

#10 Nov 21, 2013
Arent Republicans the anti-tax people? This is so confusing.
BelleVal

Erie, PA

#11 Nov 21, 2013
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Safe roads and bridges for my family please! At any cost!!!!!
Bizzarro doesnt care about your family. He's not even married and has no kids. He only has to care about himself.

The other two are almost ready for group homes.
You asked for it

Erie, PA

#12 Nov 21, 2013
Corbett policy positions allow the frackers to operate virtually untaxed while the average pa citizen is about to be crushed by the expansion of an already regressive tax. Safe roads and bridges yes, but this bill is the worst possible alternative. Thanks GOP.
Give it to me

Cleveland, OH

#13 Nov 21, 2013
"We chide Democratic Reps. Pat Harkins, 1st Dist., Flo Fabrizio, 2nd Dist., and Ryan Bizzarro, 3rd Dist., who voted "no" both times. Bizzarro organized a Democratic Policy Committee hearing about the transportation bill on Oct. 31 in Erie, with Rep. Mike Sturla, of Lancaster, committee chairman. When Sturla switched sides to vote "yes" on the second bill, why didn't Erie's three Democrats follow his lead? If they had, perhaps other Democrats would have followed suit." - from the goerie op-ed

CHIDE CHIDE CHIDE
Rachael MadDick

Union City, PA

#15 Nov 21, 2013
Tax increases are only cool when they are done by the democraps. Coorbett is another democrap in Repubs clothing. I wish all of you hypocritical democraps would get as upset at the taxes and fees your democrap masters have hoisted upon us.
Got Hosed

Erie, PA

#16 Nov 21, 2013
WOW! I just read the bill that was passed and obviously the Erie Times News did not before they wrote their story.
Anyone who voted for this legislation should have their head examined. The bill is on the state web site and is quite lengthy, wait until you see whats coming, at least a .28 cent gas tax increase and at least a .38 cent diesel fuel tax increase and then all sorts of fees.
Another interresting part is that the republicans put something in the bill to do away with prevailing wage, so they are screwing the working person all the way around.
Anyone who voted for this piece of crap bill should hang their head in shame, Pa. will have the highest gas tax in the nation.
I cant imagine what a negative impact this is going to have on businesses both large and small, not to mention those who move product. I saw that the Chamber of Commerce was in favor of the bill, I would bet the bank most of their members didn't know what it was all about if they voted to support it.
Sounds like the pay raise vote of '96 all over again.
Barack Hussein Obama

Union City, PA

#17 Nov 21, 2013
Got Hosed wrote:
WOW! I just read the bill that was passed and obviously the Erie Times News did not before they wrote their story.
Anyone who voted for this legislation should have their head examined. The bill is on the state web site and is quite lengthy, wait until you see whats coming, at least a .28 cent gas tax increase and at least a .38 cent diesel fuel tax increase and then all sorts of fees.
Another interresting part is that the republicans put something in the bill to do away with prevailing wage, so they are screwing the working person all the way around.
Anyone who voted for this piece of crap bill should hang their head in shame, Pa. will have the highest gas tax in the nation.
I cant imagine what a negative impact this is going to have on businesses both large and small, not to mention those who move product. I saw that the Chamber of Commerce was in favor of the bill, I would bet the bank most of their members didn't know what it was all about if they voted to support it.
Sounds like the pay raise vote of '96 all over again.
What a joke you are. When me and my democrap followers do this, you eat it up.
Barack Hussein Obama

Union City, PA

#18 Nov 21, 2013
Rachael MadDick wrote:
Tax increases are only cool when they are done by the democraps. Coorbett is another democrap in Repubs clothing. I wish all of you hypocritical democraps would get as upset at the taxes and fees your democrap masters have hoisted upon us.
Right on Rach. We got Corbett showing his true democrat party colors. I love RINOS, they make my life sooo easy.
STANK

Erie, PA

#19 Nov 21, 2013
Apples to oranges you goof ball.
Can't accept the fact that your republican gods put the beef to you?
Wait until you go to fill up your big SUV and motor home you idiot.
interesting

Cleveland, OH

#20 Nov 22, 2013
Got Hosed wrote:
WOW! I just read the bill that was passed and obviously the Erie Times News did not before they wrote their story.
Anyone who voted for this legislation should have their head examined. The bill is on the state web site and is quite lengthy, wait until you see whats coming, at least a .28 cent gas tax increase and at least a .38 cent diesel fuel tax increase and then all sorts of fees.
Another interresting part is that the republicans put something in the bill to do away with prevailing wage, so they are screwing the working person all the way around.
Anyone who voted for this piece of crap bill should hang their head in shame, Pa. will have the highest gas tax in the nation.
I cant imagine what a negative impact this is going to have on businesses both large and small, not to mention those who move product. I saw that the Chamber of Commerce was in favor of the bill, I would bet the bank most of their members didn't know what it was all about if they voted to support it.
Sounds like the pay raise vote of '96 all over again.
You have to be the only State Rep who reads and comments on topix
SusanL

Cleveland, OH

#21 Nov 22, 2013
Thank goodness we have Sean Wiley to actually act as a leader.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump tax plan 38 min Youaredumb 26
Wolf announces millions in wasteful spending in... 50 min SONS angler 1
Flynn will testify against Trump 1 hr Komrade Traitor F... 13
yes wifey its true hes cheatin on u 2 hr Lizard 8
Erie Co. Auto Tag $ 5 Fee 3 hr Al Gore 12
Jay Breneman's beard 5 hr jodie 10
Contract time June 2019 7 hr Gunga din 16
laughlin: fall down drunk in hburg 8 hr 5 stars 67
Fire Trucks For Erie - Paid by Who ? 8 hr Acutabove 47
Conner McDavid's ice rink 12 hr Waiting 56

Erie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Erie Mortgages