Unsolved 60s/70s Walnut Creek Murder...?

Unsolved 60s/70s Walnut Creek Murder...?

Posted in the Erie Forum

Shim

Lake Orion, MI

#1 Oct 16, 2010
When I was maybe 10-13 years old in the late 60s/early 70s, one of my friends and his sister were walking near the woods (somewhere in Milcreek, I believe) when a man approached them. My friend's sister ran away, but the man caught my friend. My fried disappeared for 3 days before the police found his dead, sexually assaulted body. The man was never found, as far as I know. I was just wondering if anyone else remembered this or has any information on it. I was so traumatized that I can't seem to remember anything else. I would appreciate any help.
Noneya

Bath, SC

#3 Oct 16, 2010
I think you may be referring to the Mary Ann Watson murder? Don't remember a lot about it but I don't think it was ever solved.
Shim

Lake Orion, MI

#4 Oct 16, 2010
Yes! It was the Watsons, although I don't think it was the girl that was murdered. Maybe I have it mixed up?

Also, what sort of newspaper archives would i Look through?
Knuckles O Toole

Bloomsburg, PA

#7 Oct 16, 2010
what was aks murder hollow... or ask murder .. or axe murder.. those words are tongue twisters fo' my people
Shim

Lake Orion, MI

#9 Oct 16, 2010
Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I was just wondering about this because I remember after this happened, my parents wouldn't let me outside when there were no adults around. It was just as scary for them as it was for me.
Noneya

Bath, SC

#10 Oct 16, 2010
That's right it was Christine. Mary Ann was her older sister, I graduated from McDowell with her. Nice family, terrible tragedy.
Anonymous

Erie, PA

#11 Oct 2, 2013
Knuckles O Toole wrote:
what was aks murder hollow... or ask murder .. or axe murder.. those words are tongue twisters fo' my people
AXE MURDER HOLLOW...An Erie County( PA.)MURDER SPOT...Suppose to have been a man who murdered his wife and MAYBE his family( children )with an axe,RUMORS ABOUND..Supposed to be a HAUNTED WOODED AREA.Simple search (google,etc.)will give you location & rumors.Alot of weird noises in woods,i have been there many times.Foundation of house STILL stand's...But i beleive PRIVATE PROPERTY now...SPOOKY.
Flint Westwood

United States

#14 Oct 2, 2013
neighberhoodKid wrote:
<quoted text>AXE MURDER HOLLOW...An Erie County( PA.)MURDER SPOT...Suppose to have been a man who murdered his wife and MAYBE his family( children )with an axe,RUMORS ABOUND..Supposed to be a HAUNTED WOODED AREA.Simple search (google,etc.)will give you location & rumors.Alot of weird noises in woods,i have been there many times.Foundation of house STILL stand's...But i beleive PRIVATE PROPERTY now...SPOOKY.
No one really knows where the Axe murder legend got started but way back in the late 1800`s Gypsies supposedly camped in that area & people scared the bejesus out of their kids with stories about children being kidnapped by the Gypsies. History, rumors & superstition often get confused.
Scott

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Oct 14, 2014
Shim wrote:
When I was maybe 10-13 years old in the late 60s/early 70s, one of my friends and his sister were walking near the woods (somewhere in Milcreek, I believe) when a man approached them. My friend's sister ran away, but the man caught my friend. My fried disappeared for 3 days before the police found his dead, sexually assaulted body. The man was never found, as far as I know. I was just wondering if anyone else remembered this or has any information on it. I was so traumatized that I can't seem to remember anything else. I would appreciate any help.
Christine "Tina" Watson had her throat slit by Eugene Edmund Patterson on July 19, 1966 near Walnut Creek. Patterson was convicted and sentenced to life on February 17, 1989.
KAC

Erie, PA

#16 Nov 11, 2014
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine "Tina" Watson had her throat slit by Eugene Edmund Patterson on July 19, 1966 near Walnut Creek. Patterson was convicted and sentenced to life on February 17, 1989.
I live in the area...do you know where this happened exactly? I've heard it was in Walnut Creek somewhere along Love Rd??
Long time resident

Erie, PA

#17 Nov 12, 2014
Some stuff happened around the bend on Jones Road in Wattsburg, too.
Doug Wilson

Export, PA

#18 Nov 12, 2014
Someone just assaulted me with Arby's at Scott park
whatever

Sharon, PA

#19 Nov 12, 2014
KAC wrote:
<quoted text>I live in the area...do you know where this happened exactly? I've heard it was in Walnut Creek somewhere along Love Rd??
Where zimmerly and love rd meet is a bridge. It happened down by the creek by that bridge.
Libertarian

Erie, PA

#20 Nov 12, 2014
Shim wrote:
It was solved. The family lived on Zimmerly, in the old schoolhouse. Christine Watson was 10, when she was murdered in 1966.It took almost 23 years for justice to be served. Eugene Patterson was convicted in January 1989 and is serving a life sentence.
david_c

Yorktown, VA

#21 Dec 19, 2014
Noneya wrote:
That's right it was Christine. Mary Ann was her older sister, I graduated from McDowell with her. Nice family, terrible tragedy.
Do you know how to get in touch with Mary Ann? What year did you graduate McDowell?
stjhn4

New Paltz, NY

#22 Jul 13, 2016
I remember this. I was 3yrs old when this happened but my mother would refer to Christine Watson when warning us about "Danger Strangers." She suspected a neighbor on 4th Street in Erie and reported it to the police in 1966. She said she overheard a conversation where he had implicated himself and he tried to change his appearance. I don't know if it was Patterson.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So Many Young Dying 13 min tired of being PC 12
Perry Wood is getting nervous.. 36 min Lou Sopperootski 7
Trump to preside over the richest Cabinet in U.... 44 min Hahaha 73
History of Julie Moon 1 hr Lou Sopperootski 9
GE Erie Reaches agreement with UE 506 1 hr Undertaker 34
David Crosby to Open Sperm Bank (Apr '15) 1 hr Lou Sopperootski 117
Poster from Elyria OH 1 hr Well 4
Wheres Wiley 2 hr The Neighbor 53
Vote tomorrow to keep GE Trans Erie open. 2 hr Assembler 22
Who is the worst Boss or employer is Erie (Aug '10) 17 hr Lou Sopperootski 303