Did bullying at MPS lead to a suicide?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jill

Erie, PA

#23 Aug 16, 2014
Dick Porterhouse wrote:
By now, most people have heard of the Florida bullying case of Rebecca Ann Sedwick, the 12-year old Florida girl who committed suicide after bearing horribly bullied by other kids for over a year.
Did something similar recently occur in Erie, and at a place that's supposedly "above" such terrible things?
One rumor that still lingers in Erie concerns a Mercyhurst Prep Freshman who supposedly committed suicide at the end of last year due to bullying of him by fellow students at the school.
Is this true? Anyone? What actually happened?
Has the school taken steps to deal with it, including identifying and disciplining the offenders?
I was a freshman at MPS in 1986. I was tall, blonde, and cute, but out of the status quo. I was bashed, pushed, into lockers to the point in which I fell down and had bruises and concussions. I had pizza and other food smeared onto my face in full view of everyone in the cafeteria. The teachers and staff let it go on. I still know the names of the students who did the bullying. I also still know the names of the teachers. The teachers were like turtles. They popped their head out, saw what was going on, and popped their head back in. It just depended on who you were...meaning who your parents were. I have two children now and would never even consider sending them to this school. The culture that is created is horrible.
Really

Sharon, PA

#24 Aug 17, 2014
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a freshman at MPS...The culture that is created is horrible.
I was a freshman at MPS in 1986 as well. I also came from a family that may have not had the same level of clout as some of the other families, but I NEVER had the experience the things you described, nor had I heard of such abhorrent behavior by students and/or faculty. If this was your reality, I am sorry for your misfortune. I agree with some posters that some childish antics are part of growing up. Hate to break it to you, but not everyone will like you, whether as a child or an adult. The antics of kids today are much different and more pervasive than in years past due to technology and social media. Kids learn what they live, if the parents are aceholes the kids may turn out to be the same OR they may realize their parents are aceholes and strive to be better than that.

As far as the topic at hand, if you don't have first hand knowledge of the situation, you are only speculating as to what happened thereby spreading falsities.
doug wilson

Pioneer, OH

#25 Aug 17, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a freshman at MPS in 1986 as well. I also came from a family that may have not had the same level of clout as some of the other families, but I NEVER had the experience the things you described, nor had I heard of such abhorrent behavior by students and/or faculty. If this was your reality, I am sorry for your misfortune. I agree with some posters that some childish antics are part of growing up. Hate to break it to you, but not everyone will like you, whether as a child or an adult. The antics of kids today are much different and more pervasive than in years past due to technology and social media. Kids learn what they live, if the parents are aceholes the kids may turn out to be the same OR they may realize their parents are aceholes and strive to be better than that.
As far as the topic at hand, if you don't have first hand knowledge of the situation, you are only speculating as to what happened thereby spreading falsities.
You were lucky to be in the slow and special needs program, your group was protected from the ritual hazing...or maybe you just didnt realize it.
Wes

Erie, PA

#26 Aug 17, 2014
doug wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
You were lucky to be in the slow and special needs program, your group was protected from the ritual hazing...or maybe you just didnt realize it.
Wow, Dougie didn't respond to a post with a " had sex with your mom" blast....I am speechless for once..
doug wilson

Pioneer, OH

#27 Aug 17, 2014
Wes wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, Dougie didn't respond to a post with a " had sex with your mom" blast....I am speechless for once..
It was your nite to be with her
Wes

Erie, PA

#28 Aug 17, 2014
doug wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was your nite to be with her
Dougie is back!!! Thought maybe one of the farm animals kicked u in dee nutz while u tried to mount it..
Shiny

Waterford, PA

#30 Aug 17, 2014
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a freshman at MPS in 1986. I was tall, blonde, and cute, but out of the status quo. I was bashed, pushed, into lockers to the point in which I fell down and had bruises and concussions. I had pizza and other food smeared onto my face in full view of everyone in the cafeteria. The teachers and staff let it go on. I still know the names of the students who did the bullying. I also still know the names of the teachers. The teachers were like turtles. They popped their head out, saw what was going on, and popped their head back in. It just depended on who you were...meaning who your parents were. I have two children now and would never even consider sending them to this school. The culture that is created is horrible.
Yo, Pizza Face how you been? Haven't seen you since high school. Those were they days! Hit me up over the summer.
Sauer kraut

Tempe, AZ

#31 Aug 18, 2014
MPS is a kool skool!
Rico S

Waterford, PA

#32 Aug 20, 2014
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, Jill. Are you still tall, blonde and cute? I'd like to get to know you well and promise not to let anyone perpetrate such cruel acts upon you ever again!
Yourtopics

Erie, PA

#33 Aug 23, 2014
Which "Jill" were you at MPS? Jill Samluck?

And if you have names, why not name them here?
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
Mps grad

Erie, PA

#34 Aug 24, 2014
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
I say BS. We were all soft. As a class everyone got along. Even some kids who were socially awkward got through without being picked on. Any other high school would of been hell for them. Things could of changed there. But I doubt it. I loved my high school years.
Delusional

Erie, PA

#35 Mar 20, 2016
MPS Pride!!
Parents

Erie, PA

#36 Mar 20, 2016
in charge wrote:
Parents need to teach their children how to handle these people and situations. We were all bullied at one time in our lives, it's how we dealt with it that made us who we are today! Suicide is an easy way out & only hurts the ones you love and left behind.
I agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clown prince trump 5 min Lol 26
General McLane Football 17 min Disgusted 11
Tired of being a PC 17 min Amused 37
Come Nov. another Dem mayor 24 min Laughing at Laugh... 19
Steelers deserve to lose 43 min Frank the tank 1
Lilly Tomlin and the Squeelers stay off the fie... 50 min AMERICA 1
Morning talk radio... yawn 53 min Its Come to This 14
UE GE talk all of a sudden going good. 1 hr GE Guy 103
GE UE Talks suddenly going bad. 9 hr Bill Clinton 37
What happened to Bootleggers?! Sat ZUGZWANG 47