Did bullying at MPS lead to a suicide?

Posted in the Erie Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dick Porterhouse

Erie, PA

#1 Oct 19, 2013
By now, most people have heard of the Florida bullying case of Rebecca Ann Sedwick, the 12-year old Florida girl who committed suicide after bearing horribly bullied by other kids for over a year.

Did something similar recently occur in Erie, and at a place that's supposedly "above" such terrible things?

One rumor that still lingers in Erie concerns a Mercyhurst Prep Freshman who supposedly committed suicide at the end of last year due to bullying of him by fellow students at the school.

Is this true? Anyone? What actually happened?

Has the school taken steps to deal with it, including identifying and disciplining the offenders?
who cares

Erie, PA

#2 Oct 19, 2013
yawn...
WERE YOU A BULLY

Erie, PA

#3 Oct 19, 2013
who cares wrote:
yawn...
Or are you a "innocent" bystander?
watching

Erie, PA

#5 Oct 19, 2013
Bullying does not just affect the young..
I am a senior citizen who on SSD I been
harrassed /bullied by a Neighbor son for
four years.
Finally he graduated to the big stuff and
did a home invasion. Is serving 5-10 years
in State Prison...
His mother blames us as we had addressed the
harassment/bullying twice with the District
Justice office.. And she defended him, instead
of getting the profession help he needed.
Then this summer she started to harass / bully
me via the internet.. Till I to her she be
charged with Stalking..
I guess Bullying just runs in some families
they are so stupid to know right from wrong
you would think of mother of 42 would know
better.
Deacon Jones

Corry, PA

#6 Oct 19, 2013
It was not the fault of MPS. It was not the fault of the teachers. It was not the fault of the administration. It was not the fault of the students. It was the fault of the unfortunate young man who was taunted and bullied without mercy - it was his fault for not recognizing that bullying is just a normal part of growing up.

Wake up! It is never the fault of adults or teachers or staff or students. It is always the fault of someone else. That is why MPS will always be "Marked by Pride and Spirit" - they are too good and Holy and Christ like to ever be blamed for allowing bullying to occur in their precious precious hallways.
Jim Barker

Erie, PA

#8 Oct 20, 2013
Deacon Jones wrote:
It was not the fault of MPS. It was not the fault of the teachers. It was not the fault of the administration. It was not the fault of the students. It was the fault of the unfortunate young man who was taunted and bullied without mercy - it was his fault for not recognizing that bullying is just a normal part of growing up.
Wake up! It is never the fault of adults or teachers or staff or students. It is always the fault of someone else. That is why MPS will always be "Marked by Pride and Spirit" - they are too good and Holy and Christ like to ever be blamed for allowing bullying to occur in their precious precious hallways.
You are absolutely correct. He should have went to Central Tech, Strong Vincent, East or McSowell where he would have been safe from bullying. Take your anti Mercyhurst head out of your ass and grow up.
Deacon Jones

Corry, PA

#9 Oct 20, 2013
Jim Barker wrote:
<quoted text>You are absolutely correct. He should have went to Central Tech, Strong Vincent, East or McSowell where he would have been safe from bullying. Take your anti Mercyhurst head out of your ass and grow up.
You're absolutely right, fluck face. Absolutely right. Thanks for making my point for me. Mercyhurst Prep is never wrong, period!

Bullying is bullying is bullying. Doesn't make it a part of growing up. Now go and bully you wife into a fake orgasm you putz!
Jim Barker

Erie, PA

#10 Oct 20, 2013
Deacon Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right, fluck face. Absolutely right. Thanks for making my point for me. Mercyhurst Prep is never wrong, period!
Bullying is bullying is bullying. Doesn't make it a part of growing up. Now go and bully you wife into a fake orgasm you putz!
Nobody said Mercyhurst is never wrong. But thanks for letting us know that you are never right and that your whole post was simply based on your hatred for Mercyhurst. And you wonder why you never fit in or got any respect? Nobody likes an angry little boy.Get over it.
doohh

Erie, PA

#11 Oct 20, 2013
What did Garvey have to do with it?
Deacon Jones

Corry, PA

#12 Oct 21, 2013
Jim Barker wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody said Mercyhurst is never wrong. But thanks for letting us know that you are never right and that your whole post was simply based on your hatred for Mercyhurst. And you wonder why you never fit in or got any respect? Nobody likes an angry little boy.Get over it.
Hatred? A young man was bullied and because of that he killed himself. Where was the administration on this? teachers? When you send your kid to school you do so with the assumption they will be safe. MPS failed in its fiduciary duty to keep this young man safe. That's a Sin of omission in the Catholic Church, to do nothing when someone needs help. MPS is guilty of a sin, and they love to squawk about being Christ like and Christ centered. Give me a break
Question

Erie, PA

#13 Oct 21, 2013
Deacon Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Hatred? A young man was bullied and because of that he killed himself. Where was the administration on this? teachers? When you send your kid to school you do so with the assumption they will be safe. MPS failed in its fiduciary duty to keep this young man safe. That's a Sin of omission in the Catholic Church, to do nothing when someone needs help. MPS is guilty of a sin, and they love to squawk about being Christ like and Christ centered. Give me a break
Did Mercyhurst know about the bullying or are you just assuming that they did. The other poster was correct when he stated that your hatred for Mercyhurst was blinding you to the facts. You likely have a pocket of stones so you can throw them at those whom you think have wronged you. If you are going to sit in judgement of others you should at least base your judgements on facts not your emotional turmoil.
Deacon Jones

Corry, PA

#14 Oct 21, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text> Did Mercyhurst know about the bullying or are you just assuming that they did. The other poster was correct when he stated that your hatred for Mercyhurst was blinding you to the facts. You likely have a pocket of stones so you can throw them at those whom you think have wronged you. If you are going to sit in judgement of others you should at least base your judgements on facts not your emotional turmoil.
You're absolutely right. I would like to apologize to the wealthy people of MPS. It was so very insensitive of me to forget that MPS is perfect and above reproach in everything they do. My sincerest apologies for even assuming for one minute that bullying never takes place in the hallowed halls of such a fine world class institute.
Arch

Corry, PA

#15 Oct 21, 2013
Who cares. Who really cares. Bullying is a normal part of growing up. He should have had a spine to begin with. Get a life!
Trashman

Harrisburg, PA

#16 Oct 21, 2013
Lots of grumbling back and forth here, but still no hard facts on what did or didn't happen at the school. So typical of Topix!
Keep rubbin

Erie, PA

#17 Oct 21, 2013
Arch wrote:
Who cares. Who really cares. Bullying is a normal part of growing up. He should have had a spine to begin with. Get a life!
Wow, you must be a real tough guy. You probably wouldnt even be afraid to post you real name! Right spiney?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#18 Oct 21, 2013
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No one but the person who commits it is responsible. It is an extremely selfish act that only punishes those left behind!
Friend of the Family

Erie, PA

#19 Oct 21, 2013
Arch wrote:
I hope nothing like this ever happens to anyone close to you. It is devastating regardless of the cause. Your pithy comments may seem funny when you are typing them, but I have compassion for you because I know that one day (if not already) you will experience a great loss. Words will not comfort you then. All we have is life and each other to cling to so to you I say, hold your loved ones closely each and every day.
Job

Corry, PA

#20 Oct 21, 2013
Seamus O-Boogie wrote:
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No one but the person who commits it is responsible. It is an extremely selfish act that only punishes those left behind!
The student in question was extremely popular. It is problematic to blame the administration without knowing all the facts. This was nothing more than a tragic incident that probably had nothing at all to do with being bullied.

In addition to being a permanent solution to a perceived temporary problem suicide is also a mortal sin and is punishable by eternal damnation.
ohmygosh!

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Oct 21, 2013
You all are making very, very broad and incorrect assumptions. Discuss the issue of bullying as adults and keep the long held " As an Erieite I like this school and passionately hate that school" biases out of it as well as irrelevant obscenities . Bullying is a reality in all schools to varying degrees and in various ways ...PARENTS need to be modeling options to choose to behave differently. I would suggest you respect this outstanding young man, the pain all felt, and not make assumptions you clearly cannot substantiate.
in charge

Erie, PA

#22 Oct 24, 2013
Parents need to teach their children how to handle these people and situations. We were all bullied at one time in our lives, it's how we dealt with it that made us who we are today! Suicide is an easy way out & only hurts the ones you love and left behind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former County Council candidate Styn to run for... 13 min lipmonster 38
Airport sees fewer flights 23 min BUTCH12 17
Sonya Arrington Running for Council 1 hr Chris Maras 7
Does anyone have jerrys tools? 1 hr McGurk 3
Bizzarro Announces New Chief of Staff 1 hr Jason 8
Donna Reese for Supervisor 1 hr Buttstache 153
I Rock Fitness buys Nautilus 2 hr Maurice 26
Barry Dane Steinhagen (Jul '10) 6 hr Barry D Steinhagen 101
Erie Dating
Find my Match