Next Last
transfer

Erie, PA

#1 Oct 9, 2012
who should i call for auto insuance when moving to erie
New to Town

Erie, PA

#4 Oct 9, 2012
I just recently went through the same thing. Someone recommended that I call Great Lakes Insurance - I'll never make that mistake again. I felt like the person I spoke to was not being totally forthcoming and therefore not trustworthy. Quite frankly, it was not a positive experience and it felt totally slimey. I ended up going with USAA - much better pricing than I received locally and their customer service is great.
I Am Sam

Erie, PA

#5 Oct 9, 2012
Try GEICO
Good guys

Erie, PA

#7 Oct 10, 2012
transfer wrote:
who should i call for auto insuance when moving to erie
Try JJ Murrary Agency in downtown Erie, an ERIE agent, really good guys, great service - ask for Bob or Mark
Consumer

Erie, PA

#8 Oct 10, 2012
Insurance is such a sleaxy business. It's all about collecting money and then doing the very best you can to deny a claim when one of your customers has an unfortunate accident.

Drive past some of the larger agencys in town and check out what kind of cars the owners drive. I don't begrudge someone from being successful but in that business, it's all about screwing people.

No more rate increases from your carriers ("sorry Mr Customer, what can i do? Travelers increased the rate and it's out of my hands")

The problem here in Erie is that old people are dying off, young people are leaving in droves so now all of the insurance companies are fighting over what's left. Karma is a bitch boys - no more Denalis for your wives or condos at the Peak.
Good guys

Erie, PA

#9 Oct 10, 2012
Consumer wrote:
Insurance is such a sleaxy business. It's all about collecting money and then doing the very best you can to deny a claim when one of your customers has an unfortunate accident.
Drive past some of the larger agencys in town and check out what kind of cars the owners drive. I don't begrudge someone from being successful but in that business, it's all about screwing people.
No more rate increases from your carriers ("sorry Mr Customer, what can i do? Travelers increased the rate and it's out of my hands")
The problem here in Erie is that old people are dying off, young people are leaving in droves so now all of the insurance companies are fighting over what's left. Karma is a bitch boys - no more Denalis for your wives or condos at the Peak.
Do not get confused by who sets the rates (the monolithic insurance companies) and those who provide the service (agents). I recommended an agency who happens to be an agent for ERIE insurance, a local Fortune 500 company whose largest shareholders still live in this town and give back large amounts of money to Erie. Having said that the agents do not set rates or policy terms, the Company does (all companies do), the agents provide the service and explain the options to you to meet your need. No, I am not in the insurance industry.
Rides with Thorns

Erie, PA

#10 Oct 10, 2012
I wouldn't go with GEICO, they are miserable to deal with from either side, either as the owner of the vehicle or a claimant against the insurance vehicle. They hate to pay out on any claims and they are real pricks to deal with. Cute commercials but that's about all they have going for them. I would try Allstate, Nationwide or State Farm, I've had experiences with all 3 from both aspects and they are easy to deal with.
Fire Frankie

Erie, PA

#11 Oct 10, 2012
Rides with Thorns wrote:
I wouldn't go with GEICO, they are miserable to deal with from either side, either as the owner of the vehicle or a claimant against the insurance vehicle. They hate to pay out on any claims and they are real pricks to deal with. Cute commercials but that's about all they have going for them. I would try Allstate, Nationwide or State Farm, I've had experiences with all 3 from both aspects and they are easy to deal with.
You have too many accidents.
Consumer

Erie, PA

#13 Oct 10, 2012
Good guys wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not get confused by who sets the rates (the monolithic insurance companies) and those who provide the service (agents). I recommended an agency who happens to be an agent for ERIE insurance, a local Fortune 500 company whose largest shareholders still live in this town and give back large amounts of money to Erie. Having said that the agents do not set rates or policy terms, the Company does (all companies do), the agents provide the service and explain the options to you to meet your need. No, I am not in the insurance industry.
File a claim with Erie Insurance - they'll drop you like a bad habit. Erie's new management (Cavanuagh et al) are all hired guns brought in by the Board. The old days when Bill Hirt used to have lunch with his employees in the cafeteria are gone. It's all about the almighty dollar folks and your agent is in on the fleecing.
Mcgruff

Meadville, PA

#14 Oct 11, 2012
Erie Insurance rates are out of control. I was a customer for years. No claims and a clean driving record. Cost went up yearly. Received the same coverage for 1/2 the price elsewhere. Just because the agent is friendly doesn't mean they can help you if you have a problem. It's no wonder the agents at Historic Square live like kings.
Not Erie Ins

United States

#16 Oct 11, 2012
Real Time Bob wrote:
<quoted text> Erie insurance is your best bet. Their rates are comparable or cheeper and when you have an accident they are local and will be in contact with you the same day. Beware out of town companies that give you the same quote as you will be waiting for days if not weeks for them to show up if they show up at all. You are almost always better off dealing with someone local where ever you are living. Please disregard the negative responses as these posters are generally all around miserable complainers and think with their negative emotions instead of objective logic. I wish you all the best in your move to Erie. It will be a wonderful experience if you want it to be.
Erie insurance is not your best bet. I used to be insured with them and they are miserable. They have so called first accident forgiveness, but after my first and only accident, they cancelled me. I have heard the same story from many others too.
Steve

Erie, PA

#17 Oct 11, 2012
I was w/Erie insurance since u was 16. Moved to Wisconsin & had to get a new insurance company cause Erie wasn't there in 2003. Moved back to Erie for a job & Erie wanted an astronomical amount. So did the search & ended up going with liberty mutual that my at the time gf, now wife has. Liberty blew Erie & a few others away.
Gecko

Erie, PA

#19 Oct 11, 2012
Real Time Bob wrote:
<quoted text> Erie insurance is your best bet. Their rates are comparable or cheeper and when you have an accident they are local and will be in contact with you the same day. Beware out of town companies that give you the same quote as you will be waiting for days if not weeks for them to show up if they show up at all. You are almost always better off dealing with someone local where ever you are living. Please disregard the negative responses as these posters are generally all around miserable complainers and think with their negative emotions instead of objective logic. I wish you all the best in your move to Erie. It will be a wonderful experience if you want it to be.
Thanks Terry!
Good guys

Erie, PA

#21 Oct 12, 2012
Real Time Bob wrote:
<quoted text> Totally lost me there buddy. Who's Terry and why would I be him?
"Terry" is Terry Cavanaugh, the current CEO of Erie Insurance.
Steve

Erie, PA

#22 Oct 12, 2012
steve wrote:
phoney steve speaks again.
I don't think your talking about myself cause if so your mistaken
Geico

Erie, PA

#23 Oct 12, 2012
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think your talking about myself cause if so your mistaken
Whatever you say.....Terry
Stu Pedaso

Erie, PA

#24 Oct 12, 2012
Erie Insurance is good. The rest blow like Bobbie Brady at a YR hospitality trailer..
McGruff

Meadville, PA

#25 Oct 13, 2012
Real Time Bob wrote:
Which agency is yours Bob? EIE agents are in it for themselves. They do not give a sh_t about the customer. Dealing local is no guarantee you will receive good service. For years my Erie agent, who was supposed to be a friend, insured my rentals. He insisted I carry a seperate policy for each property. I found out after a few years he was boning me. Erie agents get paid per policy. Combining my policies would have cut into his commision. I know, those darn Kahkwa dues kept going up.
cheetos

United States

#26 Oct 13, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
Which agency is yours Bob? EIE agents are in it for themselves. They do not give a sh_t about the customer. Dealing local is no guarantee you will receive good service. For years my Erie agent, who was supposed to be a friend, insured my rentals. He insisted I carry a seperate policy for each property. I found out after a few years he was boning me. Erie agents get paid per policy. Combining my policies would have cut into his commision. I know, those darn Kahkwa dues kept going up.
So true, have had EI for over 25 years, no accidents and the heritage policy for excellent record. My 18 year old was hit twice (neither his fault, police reports filed and submitted) our agent was worthless. After having Dave K. at Historic Place for over 25 years he wouldn’t/couldn’t even take the time to return our phone calls. It took over 6 months to have it resolved. Found out that Nationwide for homeowners is no better, rates doubled within 2 years.$3,500 a year for homeowners with no additional coverage and no explanation.
Took the whole packge to Burns & Burns, they were wonderful. Found better rates and you're welcome waking into the office.
Mcgruff

Meadville, PA

#29 Oct 13, 2012
Real Time Bob wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for making my point about the local complainers. Your problem was with your agent not Erie Insurance and your Kahkwa comment negates your whole argument. Feel free to get insurance where ever you want but don't try to justify your immature anger by badmouthing the company. Erie Insurance is lucky to be rid of you as you seem like a chronic complainer who will never be happy no matter how good the service or product.
GFY. 20 yrs and no claims. That makes sense-

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sonya for mayor soon? 20 min Kim 15
snitches and drugs and gangs 21 min MDVLPD12 14
overdose 1 hr Celebrate Erie 13
We shall overcome 2 hr ZUGZWANG 6
fess up cowards 2 hr fred driving for ... 2
Rick Kaczenski-What happened? 3 hr Jim Bob 1
Results of ue506 overtime action. 3 hr 26 year man 24
Mercyhurst University - new President 5 hr daisies on the piano 38
Erie Strippers 12 hr daisies on the So... 10
More from around the web