Observer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2009

I've seen this Matt fellow on forums for a few years now. No way he's Selker, not after I've read different posts of his where he's lashing out against Mark Divecchio. No way Selker would do that. He and DiVecchio are too good of friends.
Chandu

Aurora, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Have you considered that the DiVecchio-bashing Matt was the fake? It's just too 'coincidental that the Garvey threads all come back to life two days before a primary. This is just like the 'treatment' DiVecchio gave Weber.
Observer wrote:
I've seen this Matt fellow on forums for a few years now. No way he's Selker, not after I've read different posts of his where he's lashing out against Mark Divecchio. No way Selker would do that. He and DiVecchio are too good of friends.
BeckyKnapp

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Chandu wrote:
Have you considered that the DiVecchio-bashing Matt was the fake? It's just too 'coincidental that the Garvey threads all come back to life two days before a primary. This is just like the 'treatment' DiVecchio gave Weber.
<quoted text>
I don't think it's a fake. First of all, it won't matter squat to the election. Four or five people who regularly post from Erie aren't going to upset the election. I know more people who have never posted on, read or heard of Topix than do. If you're looking to make a splash -- Topix is NOT the place to do it.
Nemo31

Cambridge Springs, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Matt44 wrote:
Here is the actual section from Barry Grossman's 2005 campaign site that lists his "heroes." I've placed Garvey's name in caps.
MY PERSONAL HEROES
We all have people in our lives who influence us so much that they "make us who we are". Here are my ten personal heroes, five from Erie who influenced me personally during my youth and adulthood, and five who shaped our country, each of whom I met intimately through the power of the written word.
For these folks, I've included the one book that transported me through that person's life and times. Just maybe, you'll choose to take the time to get to know these true leaders, and learn from them as well. If you do, let me know.
Richard Agresti established Boys Baseball in Erie, a program that impacted my life greatly. I had the privilege of participating as a player and a coach. Richard was also the quintessential "gentleman lawyer".
Bob Brabender was my coach at Strong Vincent high school. He was there for me whenever I needed him, and provided encouragement when my transition to college proved difficult.
Judy Lynch and Joyce Savacchio are two women who carried themselves in office with dignity and honor. Both restored integrity to our political process.
DR. WILLIAM GARVEY is my long time mentor, colleague and friend. He hired me for the faculty at Mercyhurst College, and allowed me to challenge my students in the most creative ways.
Thomas Jefferson provided the mantra that our country adheres to, "... that all men are created equal,... and entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
Jefferson & His Time, by Dumas Malone (6 volumes)
Bill Cosby provided the role model for young blacks to become responsible fathers and husbands. He has been Ozzie Nelson of the African-American community.
Eleanor Roosevelt always prodded her husband to do the right thing. In my estimation, she became the greatest first lady and could teach us all.
Eleanor and Franklin: The Story of Their Relationship Based on Eleanor Roosevelt's Private Papers, by Joseph P. Lash
Martin Luther King, Jr. brought us an awareness and understanding of tolerance and justice for all Americans.
Let The Trumpet Sound: The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr., by Stephen B. Oates
Robert Kennedy was as committed to social justice as any American leader in the 20th Century.
Robert Kennedy and His Times, by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
Grossman really drops the ball on Thomas Jefferson. The all men are created equal is from the creator not provided directly from Jefferson. That all mean are "entitled" to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.... not so the Declaration of Independence "endowed to life liberty and pursuit of happiness". An entitlement is something given by someone else and endowment is that that is by nature or of ones natural creator is what Jefferson was referring. Entitlement is mentioned earlier in the Declaration but again it is that that is given to men naturally or ones natural creator then comes the natural endowment. What we do with it is up to us as individuals. I hate to think what Barry thinks of the US Constitution. Only a progressive would twist to words of the Declaration into an entitlment program....Jeez!
Chandu

Aurora, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Funny you'd say that. You were leading the parade here for your council candidate just a few days ago.

And, even though I might agree with your opinion on the influence of Topix county-wide, it's a fact that several smear campaigns against businesses, restaurants and individuals started here and got some legs here.

Garvey is not a time-sensitive issue; not so the election. Matt and Rosenthal regularly fantasize on Rosenthal's blog about getting even with not only Garvey but everyone who supports or even associates with him. That's why the Grossman smear.
BeckyKnapp wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's a fake. First of all, it won't matter squat to the election. Four or five people who regularly post from Erie aren't going to upset the election. I know more people who have never posted on, read or heard of Topix than do. If you're looking to make a splash -- Topix is NOT the place to do it.
Chandu

Aurora, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

I think using the word 'entitled' as a substitute for the sentence following "... life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" is entirely fair.

Isn't Jefferson saying we are entitled to a government that will 'secure' those rights for us?

" that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
Nemo31 wrote:
<quoted text>
Grossman really drops the ball on Thomas Jefferson. The all men are created equal is from the creator not provided directly from Jefferson. That all mean are "entitled" to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.... not so the Declaration of Independence "endowed to life liberty and pursuit of happiness". An entitlement is something given by someone else and endowment is that that is by nature or of ones natural creator is what Jefferson was referring. Entitlement is mentioned earlier in the Declaration but again it is that that is given to men naturally or ones natural creator then comes the natural endowment. What we do with it is up to us as individuals. I hate to think what Barry thinks of the US Constitution. Only a progressive would twist to words of the Declaration into an entitlment program....Jeez!
BeckyKnapp

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Chandu wrote:
Funny you'd say that. You were leading the parade here for your council candidate just a few days ago.
And, even though I might agree with your opinion on the influence of Topix county-wide, it's a fact that several smear campaigns against businesses, restaurants and individuals started here and got some legs here.
Garvey is not a time-sensitive issue; not so the election. Matt and Rosenthal regularly fantasize on Rosenthal's blog about getting even with not only Garvey but everyone who supports or even associates with him. That's why the Grossman smear.
<quoted text>
Oh, absolutely, I'm still supporting my candidate(s)-- but I surely don't kid myself that four or five people on Topix matter a hill of beans to the election, or to much of anything.
Chandu

Aurora, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

I've been checking out the Garvey situation on the internet and found a blog here:

http://predafile.blogspot.com/ another page here:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/_gryphon...

Weird stuff. A lot of the heat at Topix over the tires to energy plant comes from the involvement in that project by persons who are also board members at Mercyhurst and on whom the blogspot's fevered posters appear to be pursuing vendetta-style retribution.

I have to wonder if 'dennis' cares more about soot or getting even with Owen McCormick for serving on the Mercyhurst board.
BeckyKnapp wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, absolutely, I'm still supporting my candidate(s)-- but I surely don't kid myself that four or five people on Topix matter a hill of beans to the election, or to much of anything.
Observer

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

Chandu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so. I've seen this Matt bash Divecchio way too many times over the years. If you think he's a Divecchio fan then you haven't read enough of his posts. He loathes the guy.
Chandu

Aurora, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2009

I agree with you now I've seen the Rosenthal blogs. DiVecchio is despised, as is Grossman, for having connection to Mercyhurst and Garvey.
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so. I've seen this Matt bash Divecchio way too many times over the years. If you think he's a Divecchio fan then you haven't read enough of his posts. He loathes the guy.

Since: Oct 08

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2009

Chandu wrote:
I agree with you now I've seen the Rosenthal blogs. DiVecchio is despised, as is Grossman, for having connection to Mercyhurst and Garvey.
<quoted text>
I've had numerous reasons for opposing DiVecchio; his connection to William Garvey is only one of them.

We are all fortunate that DiVecchio was defeated on Tuesday. Mark never had any business being in office. But it's important people understand what they're getting with Barry Grossman.
GI James

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

I heard weird stories about Will Garvey all the way back when I played for BS in the late--60s. wow, I'm old! haha
My niece worked for Grossman at Stonehouse restrant. she didn't like him as a boss. I'll have to ask her why not. I never knew about Will Garvey and Grossman being so close until reading it here. thank you matt
Matt Selker

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Will the “real” Matt Selker please stand up.

I am the real Matt Selker and I didn't post the negative comments on Grossman. I voted for him.

HOWEVER, since I’ve got your attention….I want to THANK YOU, each and every one of you, that posted negative comments about me currently and in the past. It is YOUR negative energy and hatred that gave me INSPIRATION and DRIVE to accomplish my bachelors degree from Edinboro University, persue my masters’ degree in organizational development and CHANGE from Case Western Reserve University and now pursue my PhD in Urban Public Policy and Economic Development.

THANK YOU….THANK YOU….THANK YOU…..I couldn’t have done it without you.

Your bitterness and hatred become my enabler and gave me energy, urgency and heightened my desire to make change in Erie. Very soon, when the time is right, I will return, accredited beyond the current "gurus" and make systemic change in Erie that is authentic and sustainable for ALL Erieites!

You see, I owe YOU a debt of gratitude.

Without your negative comments, without the slander of the Erie Times News, without the “established” clique in Erie politics, I would have missed my moment in time. I wouldn’t have been as motivated to achieve my advanced education.

I love it when a plan comes together!

STAY TUNED!

Matt

PS….in forthcoming posts, why don’t YOU tell me what YOU have tried to do to bring authentic, sustainable change to the Erie economy? Besides your post here of course, because I can read from your post EXACTLY what you’ve done to HELP ERIE SUSTAIN and grow into the future! Lol

btw...check out my website www.mattselker.org
Mike

Hermitage, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

"I am the real Matt Selker and I didn't post the negative comments on Grossman. I voted for him."

Wow. If I remember correctly, Divecchio tried to put you into a position in his office before the Erie Times ran a big article about you, which as you said was slander.(And I agree. The Times was wrong to do that, because they pick and choose who they like and who they don't.)

And yet you voted for Grossman? Seems like a lot of former Divecchio supporters have turned against him.

But with all that said, I do hope you are genuine about making systematic change in Erie. It well past due, although there's going to be a lot of resistance to that change from the "networked" people in town. Best of luck to you.
Matt Selker

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Mike....thanks for your thoughtful and mindful comments. The best gift Mark gave me was his weakness to stand fast for change....his vulnerability delivered me. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

The thought of being an institutionalized bureaucrat, in retrospect, scares me. Seeing what I saw on the inside for the short period of time I saw it was FRIGHTENING! I've since been studying change at Case and am now better equipped to facilitate such. I shudder at the setbacks I experienced on Parade Street but am thankful for the experiential learning opportunity. In my next effort at a catalytic innovation, I know what to do and what to not do.

I voted for Grossman because there is NO WAY I could vote for Buzz. Now I will look at the republican candidate and ponder the possibilities. More importantly, I DIDN'T VOTE for Mark because I don't think he has the authentic passion and drive to move the Community College forward. I interviewed him for a paper on change I was authoring for a class at Case, and I didn't feel an sustainable connection between him and the college project. The passion of which I speak would sustain the effort through calm and turbulent seas. Giving the Regional Chamber the "exclusive authority" to lead the College was inappropriate. People seem to forget the Chamber is a special interest group; nothing more....nothing less! Yes they should have a voice; however they SHOULD NOT be the facilitator of such an initiative. Mark should have held that project within his office during incubation and used the many talents the Erie has to offer in its design. He made a poor choice.

Quite frankly, Mark is better than that office and I look forward to his return to the private sector and his pending success in business or what he chooses to pursue.

Government is an organization comprised of many humans among others. These systems are not operating effectively or efficiently. We need to better address those systems before we seek others to relocate to our community. The only vision of Erie that we hold is the ones designed by the few that control the many. I don’t want to elect a politician that has a “vision” for Erie; rather let’s elect an individual that we think can extract our real vision of Erie and implement change necessary to achieve our vision.

I challenge and plead for someone in a leadership position to call for an Appreciative Inquiry Summit for all of Erie County. http://appreciativeinquiry.case.edu/intro/wha... I volunteer to help!

Yours in Sustainable, Positive Change!

Matt Selker

www.mattselker.org

“Love Freedom, Thank a Soldier”

Since: Feb 08

Erie,PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

No...I'm the real Matt Selker!- Just kidding...who the F is Matt Selker?
Chandu

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

Matt Selker wrote:
Will the “real” Matt Selker please stand up.
I am the real Matt Selker and I didn't post the negative comments on Grossman. I voted for him.
HOWEVER, since I’ve got your $400,000 ….I want to THANK YOU for your $400,000, each and every one of you for your $400,000, that posted negative comments about me currently and in the past.
It is YOUR $400,000 that gave me my bachelors degree from Edinboro University, persue my masters’ degree in organizational development and $400,000 and CHANGE from Case Western Reserve University and now pursue my PhD in Urban Public Policy and Economic Development.
THANK YOU….THANK YOU….THANK YOU…for your $400,000..I couldn’t have done it( the $400,000) without you.
Your $400,000 became my $400,000 enabler and gave me energy, urgency and heightened my desire to make $400,000 and change in Erie. Very soon, when the time is right, I will return, accredited beyond the current "gurus" and make systemic change in Erie that is authentic and sustainable for ALL Erieites!
You see, I owe YOU $400,000.
Without your $400,000, without the slander of the Erie Times News, without the “established” clique in Erie politics, I would have missed my moment in time. I wouldn’t have $400,000 to achieve my advanced education.
I love it when a plan comes together!
STAY TUNED!
Matt
PS….in forthcoming posts, why don’t YOU tell me what YOU have tried to do to bring authentic, sustainable change to the Erie economy? Besides your post here of course, because I can read from your post EXACTLY what you’ve done to HELP ERIE SUSTAIN and grow into the future! Lol
btw...check out my website www.mattselker.org
Where's our $400,000, Matt?
Matt Selker

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Chandu wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's our $400,000, Matt?
lol....go ask Kim Green....she'll tell you! Ask her from the audits from DCED, HUD and Busick, Bager and Bliel.....they tell the whole store.

Let me know what you find out. Happy investigating!
R Stamms

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

Matt Selker wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....go ask Kim Green....she'll tell you! Ask her from the audits from DCED, HUD and Busick, Bager and Bliel.....they tell the whole store.
Let me know what you find out. Happy investigating!
It's sickening that you think it's funny that the taxpayers lost $400,000 because of you and your pals. You should have stepped aside and let someone with the know-how build that grocery store. Instead, you sued and wasted even more money. Now the taxes are going unpaid. You're in the same company as those grifters Herb Fiss and Brad Fairfield. You punk.
Matt Selker

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

Your anger and hatred directed toward me are not becoming of you. Psychologically, dissonance retards your creative problem solving function, an effect of the sympathetic nervous system; I would recommend you avoid such behavior.

As a point of clarification, my humor was directed at the absurdity of the person who made the post about my misuse of the $400k. THERE WAS NO MISUSE. That's what all three audits show. The facts will show Kim Green misrepresented the data and/or information and I would look closer at the City of Erie when you question the waste of tax payer dollars.

As for giving it to more qualified developers’....if all I wanted was a grocery store on Parade St...I would have engaged the Sessler Team, I'm sure they are capable of building a building. I wasn't building a building; I was resurrecting a community and initiating a generative conversation within it ensuring sustainability. I was creating a catalytic innovation. For more information on that read innovation articles by Clayton Christianson for Harvard University.

BTW…..I will not communicate any longer on the issue of Invest Erie. Unless you’re willing to review the information first hand and not make uneducated statements, the debate is futile. This type of debate, traditional problem solving, is not healthy and certainly is not the answer to our community concerns. If you want to have a generative conversation about the vision or ideal community we call Erie…..I’d love to be invited.

Yours in Sustainable, Positive Growth,

Matt Selker

mattselker.org

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

96 Users are viewing the Erie Forum right now

Search the Erie Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GOP Convention to be in Cleveland, not Erie 21 min erie fecal party 2
Jobczynski's Disney dream comes true 27 min Carrie Walker 3
Sean McCracken: Bring on the winter 28 min phil mccracken 3
The day Erie Gives 29 min futerie 3
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 36 min D Cheney 3,823
OCY=Maryann Daniels (Aug '10) 45 min howard pratchett 36
BWAHAHAHA!! Ted Nugent A PANTS-POOPING COWARD!! (Apr '12) 51 min MikesMom 22
News and weather on the weekend, what a joke 3 hr XTERMINATOR 11
The Top 10 Punchable Faces 14 hr MikesMom 12
Prep football players 17 hr stashshefski 47
•••

Rip Current Statement for Erie County was issued at July 28 at 9:22AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Erie Jobs