'It is outrageous' (VIDEO)

'It is outrageous' (VIDEO)

There are 121 comments on the GoErie.com story from Nov 22, 2008, titled 'It is outrageous' (VIDEO). In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Teri Rhodes, of Commerce, Michigan, arrives at the Erie County Courthouse for her plea hearing on August 5. Rhodes, who was enrolled as a sophomore at Mercyhurst College, was charged on Tuesday, September 18, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mom In Michigan

Lansing, MI

#23 Nov 22, 2008
GOOD for Cunningham. Way to go..>She is a cold hearted killer. This was pre-meditated. there is no question. She knew what was happening. She is a smart college student. She knew what the outcome would be. Good job judge. There a millions of women trying to have a baby and cant. And this girl kills this baby. It probably looked up at her as she showered. Sickening....
kbugaj

Akron, OH

#24 Nov 22, 2008
I will try to enter what I did prior.
I think Judge Cunningham made the correct decision. I was given up for adoption in 1961, by a young, unwed woman, at a time when it was far less accepted than it is today, to be unmarried, and pregnant. How thankful I am that she valued my life and did not kill me.
When I was a Mercyhurst College student I lived in those very Briggs apartments. While living there, my little sister, who was 16 back home, became pregnant. Was it difficult on her? Extremely! Was it difficult on my parents and our family? Definitely, yes! She hid it, and lied, for a while. We had very strict religious parents, too. But, in the end, she surrendered her child for adoption, to parents who were prepared to be parents.
I finished my degrees at Mercyhurst in Psychology and Criminal Justice, even taking a class from the D.A. at the time, Mike Veshecco. I then went on to become a nurse, and I worked for 6 years as a nurse at the Erie County Health Dept. STD clinics. I saw many teens in crisis. But, they sought help from us, they took responsibility. Teri Rhodes, did not.
From my personal experiences, education and work experiences I truly believe that justice was served by Judge Cunningham. Others have committed crimes similar, or less, but are young people whose families could not afford to send them to college, or pay for an Attorney such as Mr. Friedman.
I have great respect for Judge Cunningham in upholding the law. The case CLEARLY had evidence of pre-meditation, which separates involuntary manslaughter from murder in the criminal code of the Commonwealth of PA.
I also have always repected and admired D. A. Brad Foulk. He does have a difficult job. However, in this case, I believe his judgement became clouded by his emotions. He forgot who he is representing. Mr. Friedman was justifiably defending his client, Teri Rhodes. But, Mr. Foulk and his staff, were SUPPOSED to be representing baby Theresa, and they let her down. All babies such as her depend upon people like him to give them a voice. He showed more sympathy for Teri and her family than for baby Theresa.
Yesterday was a sad day for all involved, EXCEPT for baby Theresa. Judge Cunningham spoke for her yesterday with a clear and loud voice.
Mr. Friedman was quoted as saying he will appeal to have Judge Cunningham removed from the case. I believe it is Mr. Foulk who needs to recuse himself from this case. He has lost his objectivity and ability to fairly continue to represent Theresa, and that cannot be allowed to happen.
Sunshine

Oil City, PA

#25 Nov 22, 2008
I applaud Judge Cunninham for sentancing this baby killer to what he did! Finally an Erie County Judge that don't go with the Erie County Court's way of thinking, that stands on his own and gives a just and fair sentance.
Leslie

Erie, PA

#26 Nov 22, 2008
TO read the thirty-six page ruling you can go to Wicu.com there is a link for Judge Cunningham's ruling very interesting, and you will see why he ruled this way. Justice was given to baby Theresa.
LOL BLAME OHIO

Vermilion, OH

#27 Nov 22, 2008
jimmy brown wrote:
We are steadfastly living in a world of irrational thinking.Ms Rhodes committed a horrific crime against a innocent child.In the case of the woman using her baby as a weapon against her boyfriend,and the case of another woman(Crystal)killing a baby by throwing it down some stairs is very alarming!For the D.A to ever agree to a 4year sentence of Ms.Rhodes surely shows he had compassion for a young white girl.I surely don't want to get into a racial issue here,but due to the the D.A compassion for the defendant undermines the babies death.There is no excuse for such a crime on a defensless baby,and the punishment should be just.Nevertheless,there is a great lose(baby)in this case the public as a whole should not side with the defendant,but understand that there are severe consequences killing a child that cannot defend itself.
i have a new found respect for the erie justice system this is a sad case because there are two lives lost. but the law is the law.
Susan Erie PA

Waterford, PA

#28 Nov 22, 2008
I agree with the sentencing for this murder. This is a 20 year old woman who intentionally killed another human being. The innocent child could have been dropped off at the hospital for adoption. Make her pay for this crime.
Peggy Sue

Chagrin Falls, OH

#29 Nov 22, 2008
Terri Rhodes should of gotten more time then she did. What she did was murder and nothing will change that. Cunningham was right in his decision because Terry acted as if she was making all the rulings and wanting to talk to teenagers about birth and children. She is not a mental status person and had choices and she made her choice. That baby did not deserv to die that was she did. If I was the judge I would of made Terry Rhodes get a tubaligation to be sterilized to where she can never have children. "Muncy" will teach her and the wemon there do not put up with wemon that kill their children. She had better watch her back because they will get her in the yard or in ways where she will not be protected. I do not feel one bit sorry for her she is living and her Daughter died. She is nothing but a Baby Killer
Xavier

Chagrin Falls, OH

#30 Nov 22, 2008
What is Terry Rhoded Lawyer thinking taking this case to the Suprem Courts to have Judge Cunningham's decision overturned. She should of been given a longer sentence. I stand behind the judge and his ruling and so will everyone else. As for Brad Foulk-he might be the District Attorney and does a good job but he does not have the last say the men in Black Robes do!. What if this child was related to the Attorney or the District Attorney?. How would they fell then?. Terry Rhodes got less then what she deserved in this case.
Rwsunaf

Canton, OH

#31 Nov 22, 2008
KUDOS to Judge Cunningham for his decision. With all the options this girl had, she chose the worst option. She should be thanking her lucky stars she didn't get life. Which I believe is justly deserved!!
lou

Garrison, TX

#32 Nov 22, 2008
she is an educated young woman, who definately knew what she was doing. there are too many childless families that would've taken that precious little baby, who would be walking by now. she deserves what she got. in her cell, she should have pictures of baby girls in every stage of their life, to remind her what her child would look like at that specific age. GO RUSTY !!
William

Erie, PA

#33 Nov 22, 2008
I agree with Judge Cunningham. She took a life of an innocent baby. Her act was was calculated, thought out...pre-planned. The young lady got what she deserved. Thank goodness we have a Judge who isn't afraid to send a message to the community....babies have rights, too!

Since: Nov 08

Meadville

#34 Nov 22, 2008
From what I've read in the newspaper, this person tied the child up in a bag on the floor and finished showering as the baby died at her feet. This woman (I can't call her a Mother in any sense of the word) deserves every second of this sentence. She killed one of the most defenseless creatures on our plant. It's about time someone has taken a stand and realizes that these poor, murdered babies need someone in their corner. Our children aren't just disposable waste that we can kill on a whim. Philip Friedman thinkd his clients sentence is outrageous? Well, I personally think it's outrageous that this woman should serve a sentence that is actually lighter than a sentence someone would serve for robbery. This is murder, Mr. Friedman, and your client is a murderess. Period. Judge Cunningham has my respect for a job well done.
i love walmart

Harborcreek, PA

#35 Nov 22, 2008
rock on rusty....you done good!!!!!!
Moma bear4

Ashtabula, OH

#36 Nov 22, 2008
Terri got what she deserved,In our society Today theres no reason for child abuse or Killing a Child, No Matter what race you are, You Did the crime now serve your time, I'm Sure theres lots of people who would've adopted this Baby, If this Little girl was given a Chance to Live. I don't pitty or feel sorry for Terri.
Mike Abel

United States

#37 Nov 22, 2008
Yes. Murder was the worst option available.
whattacrock

AOL

#38 Nov 22, 2008
what is funny is that she didn't have to tell anyone but the potential parents and attorney to take care of the details. Sad that she could not pick up a newspaper as there are ads everyday with couples wanting babies.
Edith

Cleveland, OH

#39 Nov 22, 2008
Pretty boy? Please tell me you aren't talking about Brad as there is nothing "pretty" about him. What needs to be discussed is how quickly we can vote for someone else for District Attorney. That change is long overdue.
bodacious babe wrote:
<quoted text>
In this case, yes. But the pretty boy was put in his place.
Joe

Cleveland, OH

#40 Nov 22, 2008
The Defense Atty did his job in trying to do the best for his client, the Prosecutor did the same job as the Defense Atty, both could not outwit he Judge who did his job and rejected the outrageous recommendations of the two lawyers in cahoots with each other. Justice is served.
bodacious babe

Reynoldsburg, OH

#41 Nov 22, 2008
Edith wrote:
Pretty boy? Please tell me you aren't talking about Brad as there is nothing "pretty" about him. What needs to be discussed is how quickly we can vote for someone else for District Attorney. That change is long overdue.
<quoted text>
In calling Brad "pretty boy" I was being sarcastic and demeaning to the DA, not complimentary. I am so sorry that I caused you to take it the wrong way
In the know

Erie, PA

#42 Nov 22, 2008
How many of the individuals on this page condemning her for her horrific act would have taken her by the hand and walked her to the abortion clinic had she made the decision to kill only a few short weeks prior to the birth. You would have patted her on the back for making her own "right to choose", or shall I say right to kill! Hypocrites one and ALL. As for a racial issue, it seems that the responses are in line with the elation at the recent election, finally some justice for the black community! Chytoria Graham was a drug and alcohol using criminal from her teen years. There is no comparison! Hypocrites, hypocrites, hypocrites!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John McCain 43 min four deferrments 11
Nicole sloane 1 hr mike 20
UE GE talk all of a sudden going good. 1 hr Mary Rose 90
Andy Gabler 1 hr No Baloney 10
GE UE Talks suddenly going bad. 2 hr mike 25
What you gonna do Bo 2 hr Yimmey 3
erie club 2 hr wrdi 83
What happened to Bootleggers?! 9 hr ZUGZWANG 45
GE pension buyout Thu Closing 63

Erie Jobs