Ge building locomotive plant

Posted in the Erie Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike b

Dallas, TX

#1 Mar 20, 2011
So we now know Ge is going to build a new locomotive plant in the USA..! What do you think will be the affect on the Erie plant?
John J

Dallas, TX

#2 Mar 20, 2011
It can't be a good thing for Eries future. The fact that Erie is 100 years old and has deteriorating infrastructure can't help. Lynn Massachusetts is the location of choice. They just closed the facility and it has good infrastructure for building trains. Ge says it's a capacity issue..? Only now they reduced eries capacity to 450 a year. We use to build upwards of 1000 Lean, designed to fail! Designed to be mobile and compartmentalized. Easy to move..! The question is.. Maybe both places operate when 1000 locomotives are needed. Which one stays open if they only need 500..?
Sam Walton

Erie, PA

#3 Mar 20, 2011
Walmart needs greeters.
CRANK II

Cleveland, OH

#4 Mar 20, 2011
Mike b wrote:
So we now know Ge is going to build a new locomotive plant in the USA..! What do you think will be the affect on the Erie plant?
Where id you read this? I see that they might invest in India but here in USA? WOW, that will kill this plant and Erie in general.
just plain bill

AOL

#5 Mar 20, 2011
Hope they don't move it to India...they probably figure if they need grease they can let those greasy indian's sweat on the parts. Such a dirty country that is. For gods sake they own ever damn motel in the usa.
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#6 Mar 21, 2011
They're building a new battery plant that will provide some batteries for GE's new hybrid locomotives.
Clint Slope

United States

#7 Mar 21, 2011
I have heard the same rumors but have not found anything concrete yet on any rail transit news site. That is not to say it isn't true, I just haven't seen anything to verify it is all. Don't forget that this is a contract year either. It's funny how many facts turn out to have been just rumors when the ink is dry on contracts in the years past
called-back

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Mar 21, 2011
Clint Slope wrote:
I have heard the same rumors but have not found anything concrete yet on any rail transit news site. That is not to say it isn't true, I just haven't seen anything to verify it is all. Don't forget that this is a contract year either. It's funny how many facts turn out to have been just rumors when the ink is dry on contracts in the years past
Clint I thought the same thing. GE could be using this as a scare tactic to persuade 506'ers to agree to a bum contract. We need to be careful, management will try to turn us against each other. All for one and one for all!
Tyrone Shoes

Lorain, OH

#10 Mar 21, 2011
Sam Walton wrote:
Walmart needs greeters.
wal mart greeters can't be harelips and droolers.
Tyrone Shoes

Lorain, OH

#11 Mar 21, 2011
here is a clue... where are GE's favorite subcontractors looking to relocate or open new facilities. The answer lies right in dirty old erie !
Knuckles O Toole

Erie, PA

#12 Mar 21, 2011
Clint Slope wrote:
Clint, you seem well informed. Have you heard anything about what Caterpillar employee's contract supposedly contains?(Thanks for the insights all the time BTW.)
called-back

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Mar 21, 2011
Tyrone Shoes wrote:
here is a clue... where are GE's favorite subcontractors looking to relocate or open new facilities. The answer lies right in dirty old erie !
Not really catching your drift.
Stu Pedaso

Ravenna, OH

#14 Mar 21, 2011
GEs assembly building is a hundred years old and a bit small east-to-west. It's not if, it's when do they do something about it.
Mike b

Dallas, TX

#15 Mar 21, 2011
Knuckles O Toole wrote:
<quoted text>
Clint, you seem well informed. Have you heard anything about what Caterpillar employee's contract supposedly contains?(Thanks for the insights all the time BTW.)
Caterpillars contract highlights were passed around in Ge by one of the stewards. But I'm sure it's posted online if you just do a search. It was just ratified recently.
Mike b

Dallas, TX

#16 Mar 21, 2011
CRANK II wrote:
<quoted text>
Where id you read this? I see that they might invest in India but here in USA? WOW, that will kill this plant and Erie in general.
Actually it was presented to the ue 506 by the national ue president at the last union meeting. Along with many of the contract demands from Ge.
ron

Erie, PA

#17 Mar 21, 2011
Tyrone Shoes wrote:
So you think it is going to be Mass. Thought so myself
Madd1

Shermans Dale, PA

#18 Mar 21, 2011
Time to dump the union if you want to survive. Quite frankly, the union is nothing more than one of GE's bitches.

What's the union going to do to punish GE, strike ?
Tyrone Shoes

Lorain, OH

#19 Mar 22, 2011
ron wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think it is going to be Mass. Thought so myself
as do many people who are much higher on the food chain than you or I
youheardithere

Ravenna, OH

#20 Mar 22, 2011
Caterpillar has been giving their UAW union a regular thumping the last few years while they move south to right-to-work states.

Their pay/benefits may still be higher than what GE pays UE but are obviously headed lower. UE has never been the greedy sort like the UAW and, it should be noted, building locomotives is more capital intensive than labor intensive.

Lawrence Park and the County should have been working on a GE retention plan already.
Mike b wrote:
<quoted text>
Caterpillars contract highlights were passed around in Ge by one of the stewards. But I'm sure it's posted online if you just do a search. It was just ratified recently.
weed whacker double chin

United States

#21 Mar 22, 2011
just like they are calling back workers!!! there is only one reason contract time the newbies will vote yes to keep a job but they need to listen to the old timers. the work really isn't there yet. they have a great union lets keep it that way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Waffle House Shooter 59 min cheetos 5
GE Big announcement April 19th..pizza party at ... 1 hr Elyria OH is a Do... 7
Wabtec the New GE Erie 2 hr 506 to the end 49
Sue Webr is considering a run! (Oct '14) 2 hr Erie Sports Store 110
Tom StankieWIZZ takes up the fight for Filippi 3 hr Sour grapes 8
Erie County handing out unaccountable funds 3 hr The pork barrel 9
Is crime the new entitlement? 3 hr tryagain B Stupid 9
Erie Sport Store 6 hr Elyria is a Donkey 18
Old Erie Bars 16 hr Six Pack Sam 118
Why No Black Outrage? 19 hr Kathy D 26