GE Locomotive Plant in Ft Worth, Texas
nuggethead

United States

#156 Apr 11, 2013
Comical, what do you think ge will do to you Texas guys when all unions are busted? Give you raises and pensions? Unionize now before they take away your NASCAR tickets. Ha ha. Seriously they will f#%k you hard!!
what fools

North East, PA

#158 Apr 11, 2013
Leonard Paduzka wrote:
Bwahahahaha. You Erie Union Creeps really do think you're smarter than GE Management don't you? What a joke you idiots are. I hope you all starve and you end up on a street corner with a cardboard sign that says "Will work for food." You union people are to be pitied.
Keep pulling those puds,Lenny. You'll get there.
See It

Brecksville, OH

#160 Apr 11, 2013
RIGHT TO WORK just weakens unions, OHIO is a perfect example with its plague of low pay BS TEMP TO HIRE JOBS........
nuggethead

Export, PA

#161 Apr 12, 2013
I don't think the union thinks its smarter than management. Ge leadership is so clueless, even you are smarter Lenny. On second thought maybe not.
mike

Erie, PA

#162 Apr 12, 2013
GEwillGOunionINtexas wrote:
Erie , PA locomotive workers at GE. Which Union represents you? The plant in Ft Worth is turning down many soon to be laid off American Airlines, Lockhhed, and Railroad employees, because rumor has it they want it to be a scab plant. Does the Union in Erie have any plans to unionize this plant? There is supposedly some people who are interested. I am not sure if it is the Teamsters or Transport Workers union. You guys had better get on the ball or you will end up like the Peterbilt plant in Tennessee! Look what they did there and moved the jobs a few miles from the ne GE plant in Texas.
https://www.facebook.com/GeFtWorthtx please like my page
Erie worker

Taylor, MI

#164 Apr 16, 2013
To texas plant:
Think about this-
-Ge transportations ceo makes over $1900 hr
(Thats more than you make in 2 months)
-The head ceo makes over $12, 000 per hour.

You guys make on ave $16 hr.

Think about whos underpaid. Oh yeah, and dont count on the raises you were promised. I used to work at a non union ge plant. They will keep taking from you.

My advice.... join the ue. We will protect your jobs and fight for fair pay.
Just call us. We'll take care of the rest.
tx machinist

Grove City, PA

#165 Apr 16, 2013
Erie worker wrote:
To texas plant:
Think about this-
Think about whos underpaid. Oh yeah, and dont count on the raises you were promised. I used to work at a non union ge plant. They will keep taking from you.
You're misinformed the lowest starting salary is $17 an hour. That is fair pay for the area, especially a shop that hasn't even been open a year yet.
tx machinist

Grove City, PA

#166 Apr 16, 2013
Erie worker wrote:
To texas plant:
Think about this-
And how would you protect out jobs? Like you're protecting the Erie worker's jobs? Or just get the union in here so when there is a surplus of workers to work we will get laid off because we have only been working at GE for a year. Or we'll share the work in which there will be a layoff at both Ft Worth and Erie. Hmmm, makes since to me. Jackass.
here we go again

United States

#167 Apr 16, 2013
wondering if Texas will be GE new 3 world work force?
Erie worker

Edinboro, PA

#168 Apr 16, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
And how would you protect out jobs? Like you're protecting the Erie worker's jobs? Or just get the union in here so when there is a surplus of workers to work we will get laid off because we have only been working at GE for a year. Or we'll share the work in which there will be a layoff at both Ft Worth and Erie. Hmmm, makes since to me. Jackass.
Jackas....wow. the hell is wrong with you texans?
We try to look out for all workers and try to encourage all workers to join a union. Misinformed???? That ave rate came from fort worth media.
Ue 506 has protected jobs fir over 70 years in Erie. Though we may be going through a tough time as ge becomes more and more greedy in an attempt to bust unions so they can pay everyone substandard wages, we will prevail. Erie builds the best dsmn locos in the world, and we build your kits. 100 years of experience and solidarity.
You dont want union, thats fine. But keep your comments to yourself. Fyi layoffs go by plant location, not seniority between plants. Lastly, if laid off, you get many extra perks with a union contract. Educate yourselves
ATTN ALL UE 506

Edinboro, PA

#169 Apr 16, 2013
DO OURSELVES A FAVOR AND STOP WASTING TIME ON THESE UNEDUCATED PEOPLE. THEY ARE DEFINATELY GUYS WE DO NOT WANT IN OUR UNION.
DONT WASTE ANYMORE TIME ARGUING WITH THEM.
WE SHOULD DISCUSS HOLDING A RALLY OUTSIDE THE GATE OF THE FORT WORTH PLANT.
WE MAKE THE BEST LOCO AND WE KNOW IT...BOTTOM LINE.
Zugzwang

Erie, PA

#170 Apr 16, 2013
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're misinformed the lowest starting salary is $17 an hour. That is fair pay for the area, especially a shop that hasn't even been open a year yet.
Yes, "fair" pay for a multi-BILLION dollar company. I suppose that all the management is making that "fair" wage as well too. I have a feeling that management's "fair" wage is substantially higher than the average floor workers "fair" wage.
Also remember that when your "fair" wage becomes too expensive, your job will travel further South to your buddies in Mexico. This is only the beginning.
1968 roadrunner

Ford City, PA

#171 Apr 16, 2013
state street stan wrote:
Food for thought .....
Once, Unionized worker once numbered about 39% of the private sector workforce but has steadily declined.
As of January 27, 2012 all of the American labor force only had union representation of 11.7%. when public sector employees "government workers" are taken out of the mix only 6.9% of private sector workers are unionized. That is only 1 out of about 15 workers!
Clearly the message being sent by Unions today is falling on deaf ears.......I think Union workers should find out why before trying to organize more non-members in drives where chances for success are slim to none.
U.S. Economy Lost Nearly 700,000 Jobs Because Of NAFTA, EPI Sayswww.huffingtonpost.com/.../nafta-job-loss...
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
May 12, 2011 – When the North American Free Trade Agreement was first signed in 1994,... By 1997, the tides had turned, and Mexico laid claim to a much larger .... The United States has lost approximately 42,400 factories since 2001.
This why union and none union jobs are gone. AMERICAN PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR JOBS IN AMERICA.
1968 roadrunner

Ford City, PA

#172 Apr 16, 2013
UNIONS DIDNT TAKE JOBS. MINIMUM WAGE WAS TO MUCH EVEN FOR GREED COMPANYS. AMERICAN PEOPLE CAN NOT SURVIVE ON 68 CENT PER HOUR. I LOST MY AMERICAN NON UNION JOB TO A COUNTRY THAT PAYS A PERSON 68 CENTS PER HOUR. CAN ANYBODY IN THE US LIVE ON 68 CENTS A HOUR. I DIDNT THINK SO. OUR POLITICIANS KNEW THAT ALSO BUT WAS ONLY WORRIED ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY WERE GOING TO GET IN THE DEAL. THE ONLY WAY WE CAN LIVE ON 68 CENTS PER HOUR IS TO ROLL OUR ECONOMY BACK TO 1950 WHEN MINIMUM WAGE WAS 75 CENTS PER HOUR,
tx machinist

Grove City, PA

#174 Apr 17, 2013
Finally some real comments instead of "rollover and die" or "scabs." So as of right now you have to renegotiate and make concessions to save jobs ie. give up something. With all the previous comments about having to continually give up stuff in past negotiations, good luck.
state street stan

United States

#175 Apr 17, 2013
1968 roadrunner wrote:
<quoted text>U.S. Economy Lost Nearly 700,000 Jobs Because Of NAFTA, EPI Sayswww.huffingtonpost.com/.../nafta-job-loss...
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
May 12, 2011 – When the North American Free Trade Agreement was first signed in 1994,... By 1997, the tides had turned, and Mexico laid claim to a much larger .... The United States has lost approximately 42,400 factories since 2001.
This why union and none union jobs are gone. AMERICAN PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR JOBS IN AMERICA.
So 93% of American workers got it wrong while 7%(unionized)American worker s got it right! Keep dreaming,keep dreaming, the labor movement lost the great majority of its membership long before anyone ever heard of NAFTA, in the greater arena for the decline of Union representation jobs lost due to NAFTA were very minimal. NAFTA is & was a poorly thought out idea & has hurt the competitive edge once held by American manufacturers......it should be repealed but it is not the reason for the decline of Union Representation.
I have nothing against Unions after all they once did great things for the welfare of the American worker but long ago quit working for the best interest of the American worker. This is the real reason for the fall of Unionism in this country & until they once again connect with the hearts & minds of the American worker by really working on their behalf .....Unions will continue to whither & die.
ex EMD er

Pittsburgh, PA

#176 Aug 21, 2013
I'm surprised that none of y'all have any idea what the competition is up to.
The new owner of EMD (CAT) came up with this idea that they would recover market share by cutting the price of the product by 30 %. So, they busted the union at London, Ont-shut that place down and set up a new, non-union plant in Muncie, IND.(BTW, nobody was tripping over each other to work for the wages they offering). I believe Uncle Sap actually bought them some equipment so they could 'compete in the export market.'
To add insult to injury, EMD moved the 'assembly' of the SD70ACE (which competes against what y'all built in FW) down to a contractor in MEXICO. Wages?
Around 2 USD an hour for a 6 day week. The platform is actually built and fitted out there-with the engine, main alt,electric locker and some other stuff coming from Chicago. If (when)
the old EMD engine design is discarded, CAT will supply their own engine from a non-union plant...and will probably move the remaining work out of Chicago to some other (non-union) location.
Employment at the Muncie plant never reached the levels that were 'promised to all concerned. In fact, the only work that is there now is export product (relatively small quantities of custom built locos with financing guaranteed by Uncle Sap)and some small orders of passenger units (covered by Buy America Law).
Any questions ?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#177 Aug 21, 2013
Did anyone in the union braintrust @ Erie know what happened @ London? The union there played right into the companys' hand.
Please come to Texas

Wattsburg, PA

#178 Aug 22, 2013
The Texas plant cannot hire enough employees. They are spending like crazy on hiring and advertising. Anyone with skills is working in the oil fields, they are paying 3 times the amount GE is offering. There are billboards plastered everywhere offering positions and tv ads. I don't think Erie has too much to worry about right now. There will be a layoff but of only a couple hundred and that is due to a slight down turn in orders and over hiring prior to the contract.
anonymous

Spring, TX

#179 Aug 26, 2013
Look what unions have done to business in PA.
Look at all the cities that are currently in bankruptcy in PA.

Texas does not have union problems. It is a right to work state with no state income tax.
That is why the Texas economy is doing so well in these tough economic times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pam Parker's Family: WHO CARES!! 41 min Criminal stalker 18
Badams Protecting Hidden Paytronage Jobs 48 min Erie Dem Committe... 87
What does not having fireworks mean? 1 hr Chunzo 3
Millcreek township and Granada Apt 4 hr Mr Sopper 11
Adam Coover 11 hr The Don 3
GE layoffs will be announced. ... (Oct '15) 14 hr tim sclitz 152
What Ever Happend with Doug Grooms 18 hr Lou 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Erie Mortgages