Clothes boxes questioned

Clothes boxes questioned

There are 77 comments on the GoErie.com story from Jan 22, 2009, titled Clothes boxes questioned. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

I was outraged to find out that those yellow boxes marked "Recycle your closet" do not belong to a charity like the City Mission and New Life Center or Salvation Army.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
tweetie

Erie, PA

#1 Jan 23, 2009
My guess is they pay to rent the spot they sit on. Also be aware when you donate you clothes to thrift shops the "volunteers" get first pick of the good stuff before it goes to the sales floor. Work directly with a charity if you feel strongly about it. Don't feel badly toward the guy who had an idea to put a box on the corner and make a buck off what you didn't want and chose to use his convenient way to dispose of, he is just earning a living too. The fact that is wasn't labeled was my first clue, so I only put the rag quality stained articles in the yellow boxes, it still gets recylcled!
Barbara

Erie, PA

#2 Jan 23, 2009
S. Miller is exactly right. Those containers should be clearly marked. My question is, what kind of a cut do the property owners such as Country Fair get for allowing the containers to be placed on their property? Even if they don't get a percentage, shame on them. The public needs to be informed.
mrkihn

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Jan 23, 2009
How do we know they don't go to charity, maybe they go to for children of Africa or another out of town charity . Maybe they serve multiple purposes and the box owner just rent them out and don't want to repaint them every time with a organization name.
I don't think we have enough facts to make accusations here

PAH

Since: Dec 08

Saxonburg, PA

#5 Jan 23, 2009
I'm totally confused - why do we think they don't go to charity? Who do they go to and why? If it's a business owner trying to make some $ I can't criticize that but the public should know who they are making donations to. I always take my donations right to the charity center. That way I also get that important receipt so I can deduct the value on my income tax return. Two benefit that way - the charity and me.
lou schwartz

Fredericksburg, VA

#6 Jan 23, 2009
goodwill is a big thieving organization.
Len Z

Dayton, OH

#7 Jan 23, 2009
What in the world is wrong with people in this City? Try to make a buck to pay your own way and maybe that of a few employees and you get criticized.

I saw one of these boxes and plan to donate. I applaud the business that is doing this. Every able-bodied person who is out there working right now helps to blunt the enormous cost of feeding the lazy who refuse to work.

Truly homeless or in need? I'm all for (and do!) help. Problem is we've got thousands of leeches mixed in. These lazy bottom feeders are the ones drawing off the help that should be going to those truly in need.

Way to go yellow box person, stay employed.
anon

Erie, PA

#8 Jan 23, 2009
I have heard that they go through the clothes and the good ones go and be resold the rest goes to charities.
tweetie

Erie, PA

#9 Jan 23, 2009
I have it on good authority from a thrift shop volunteer she gets to go through donations as they come in and take things she likes. She has gotten some pretty nice things and the lesser quality goes to the sales floor. I highly doubt that it what the person who donatd the items intended, but, it is tough to get volunteers so these little perks go a long way.

“opinionated”

Since: Dec 07

erie pa

#10 Jan 23, 2009
these " yellow boxes " have been on the local and national news . the ones that say planet earth or planet something are the only ones that actually go to places such as goodwill and salvation army . personally i just take my used/unwanted clothes right to the goodwill, salvation army, etc... and when that very cold snap was going on i took some blankets that i do not use anymore and went to some of the shelters and gave them away
oscar1

Niles, OH

#11 Jan 23, 2009
I have donated to this business unwittingly and will continue but from now on they'll get my rags also.
Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jan 23, 2009
Len Z wrote:
What in the world is wrong with people in this City? Try to make a buck to pay your own way and maybe that of a few employees and you get criticized.
I saw one of these boxes and plan to donate. I applaud the business that is doing this. Every able-bodied person who is out there working right now helps to blunt the enormous cost of feeding the lazy who refuse to work.
Truly homeless or in need? I'm all for (and do!) help. Problem is we've got thousands of leeches mixed in. These lazy bottom feeders are the ones drawing off the help that should be going to those truly in need.
Way to go yellow box person, stay employed.
If you're business is not a hotel or restaurant Erie doesn't want you. So go away our money is reserved for people who work for tips!
Junie M

AOL

#14 Jan 24, 2009
lou schwartz wrote:
goodwill is a big thieving organization.
Goodwill does nothing to rehab or help residents of Erie pa. They are based out of Ohio all profuts return to Ohio. Check it out online.
Cindy

Houston, TX

#15 Jan 24, 2009
Obviously you forget that Goodwill hires people here in Erie and therefore does help residents by employing them and they help the people they sell goods to at reasonable prices
so they pay Erie taxes, Occup. Priv. tax per person and state taxes
Junie M

AOL

#16 Jan 24, 2009
tweetie wrote:
I have it on good authority from a thrift shop volunteer she gets to go through donations as they come in and take things she likes. She has gotten some pretty nice things and the lesser quality goes to the sales floor. I highly doubt that it what the person who donatd the items intended, but, it is tough to get volunteers so these little perks go a long way.
Tweetie your friend must be doing something unkosher, Salvation Army and other thrift stores have rules, all merchadise on the floor for a certain time frame before it is allowed to be purchased by volunteers or employees's. Also everyone's opinion of what is the better quality differs. Your friend must have to do quite a dance to get things that way. I know because I volunteer at a thrift store, the self serving volunteers are quickly weeded out and the people with a heart for helping always persevere. Maybe you Tweetie should try giving back and do some volunteer work to find out first hand what goes on before telling the public what you think goes on. No volunteer TAKES items,they PURCHASE items. TAKING would be STEELING. Thrift stores are serious business establishments, they support the agencies programs,such as feeding the hungry, and housing them . What kind of a volunteer would practice such behaviors.
Junie M

AOL

#17 Jan 24, 2009
Barbara wrote:
S. Miller is exactly right. Those containers should be clearly marked. My question is, what kind of a cut do the property owners such as Country Fair get for allowing the containers to be placed on their property? Even if they don't get a percentage, shame on them. The public needs to be informed.
Thank you Barbara,no markings says it all.
Junie M

AOL

#18 Jan 24, 2009
Cindy wrote:
Obviously you forget that Goodwill hires people here in Erie and therefore does help residents by employing them and they help the people they sell goods to at reasonable prices
so they pay Erie taxes, Occup. Priv. tax per person and state taxes

Good point Cindy, however they pay minimum wage,very rarely hire full time, as to avoid benefits, they also staff with community service workers,Welfare to work employees all at no cost , not so many great jobs are being offered at Goodwill here in Erie .Not to mention nonprofits get tax breaks at every corner.Why don't they state in their stores and on all advertising such as monthly calanders, newsletters, they give out that say "help to rehab" there is a omission of words there that they are clearly not rehabing Erie residents, it is Ohio residents. Cindy go down to our very own City Mission at noon and see the line of 200 or so men, woman, and children, waiting for a hot lunch. I just think we should donate to our own people. Who knows someday you may have a loved one who needs help, will they have to walk to Ohio daily to eat or get warm blankets. I am not sure they even have a meal program at their sites. I will check it out. Again Cindy it just makes sense to take care of Erieites with our in-kind donations.
tweetie

Erie, PA

#19 Feb 4, 2009
Junie M wrote:
<quoted text>
Tweetie your friend must be doing something unkosher, Salvation Army and other thrift stores have rules, all merchadise on the floor for a certain time frame before it is allowed to be purchased by volunteers or employees's. Also everyone's opinion of what is the better quality differs. Your friend must have to do quite a dance to get things that way. I know because I volunteer at a thrift store, the self serving volunteers are quickly weeded out and the people with a heart for helping always persevere. Maybe you Tweetie should try giving back and do some volunteer work to find out first hand what goes on before telling the public what you think goes on. No volunteer TAKES items,they PURCHASE items. TAKING would be STEELING. Thrift stores are serious business establishments, they support the agencies programs,such as feeding the hungry, and housing them . What kind of a volunteer would practice such behaviors.
I do volunterr, a LOT...don't shoot the messenger.
MCR

Franklin, PA

#20 Feb 4, 2009
I take everything directly to the Thrift shops. Would never leave things in boxes.
rycmax

AOL

#21 Feb 5, 2009
The businesses are not paid for the space.
tweetie wrote:
My guess is they pay to rent the spot they sit on. Also be aware when you donate you clothes to thrift shops the "volunteers" get first pick of the good stuff before it goes to the sales floor. Work directly with a charity if you feel strongly about it. Don't feel badly toward the guy who had an idea to put a box on the corner and make a buck off what you didn't want and chose to use his convenient way to dispose of, he is just earning a living too. The fact that is wasn't labeled was my first clue, so I only put the rag quality stained articles in the yellow boxes, it still gets recylcled!
rycmax

AOL

#22 Feb 5, 2009
Barb, the name of the company is Recycle Your Closet. The phone number is in the book. They do not pay anyone for hosting the bin. There have been several stories both in print and tv explaining Recycle Your Closet
Barbara wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheryl Frey EPD Facebook 1 hr Dr Kinkyboots 50
Erie School District 1 hr Kaniki 31
Mike Ohara 1 hr Jerry 5
Legalize hard working undocumented workers (Jul '13) 1 hr Kaniki 10
Humes fire 2 hr Holy Cow 8
Cops Say Legalize Drugs (Mar '13) 2 hr Just sayin 4
If you vote for Bob Merski 3 hr Leos car warsh 26
G.E. Breaking News 3 hr Turn around 44
G.E. will be ending production in June 2017" p... 3 hr Best Welder b7 81
Mercyhurst polling is a joke 7 hr lost in pa 47