PA's Free Welfare Cell Phones
BeckyKnapp

Stow, OH

#114 Sep 20, 2009
Mrs_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Safelink is 100% funded by the state. Verizon gets a kickback, but the taxpayers foot the bill.
In general, you may qualify if...
1.You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid.
OR
2.Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government.
AND
3.No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.
4.You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.
In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level.
The program is a joke. The taxpayers provide the funding to these lowlifes who then turn around and have money to buy extra minutes. They use this program to get a free phone which they didn't feel like spending money on. No, 48 minutes isn't a lot. But how many minutes do you need if the purpose of the phone is to be for EMERGENCIES? How often do you spend more than 48 minutes per month on the phone with 911?
You are reading the information wrong. It is a government SUPPORTED program -- meaning, the government is OK with this program being run by TracFone. The cooperation part is that the individuals receiving the phones are either on welfare, on food stamps, disabled or have a family income that is low income. The GOVERNMENT is not FUNDING this program -- they SUPPORT IT. You're misunderstanding what it says.
BeckyKnapp

Stow, OH

#115 Sep 20, 2009
Mrs_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Safelink is 100% funded by the state. Verizon gets a kickback, but the taxpayers foot the bill.
In general, you may qualify if...
1.You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid.
OR
2.Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government.
AND
3.No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.
4.You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.
In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level.
The program is a joke. The taxpayers provide the funding to these lowlifes who then turn around and have money to buy extra minutes. They use this program to get a free phone which they didn't feel like spending money on. No, 48 minutes isn't a lot. But how many minutes do you need if the purpose of the phone is to be for EMERGENCIES? How often do you spend more than 48 minutes per month on the phone with 911?
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPu...

SAFELINK WIRELESS® service is U.S. government supported program for Income eligible households provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc. In order to participate in the SAFELINK WIRELESS® service, persons must meet certain eligibility requirements set by each State where the service is to be provided. These requirements are based on a person’s participation in a state or Federal support programs or by meeting the Income Poverty Guidelines as defined by the U.S. Government. SAFELINK WIRELESS® service is limited to one person per household.
TracFone Wireless is America’s largest and number one prepaid cell phone provider in the U.S. With over 10 million subscribers, TracFone Wireless has been the undisputed leader in prepaid wireless since its founding in 1996. TracFone Wireless is a subsidiary of América Móvil S.A.B. de C.V.(“AMX”)(BMV: AMX; NYSE: AMX; NASDAQ: AMOV; LATIBEX: XAMXL). América Móvil is the fourth largest cell phone company in the world and the largest in all of the Americas with more than 153 million cell phone subscribers. América Móvil has been named “Technology Hot 100” company by Business Week for the past two years in a row.
TracFone Wireless’ formula for success is simple – exclusive focus on prepaid cell phones and service. Unlike most prepaid providers, TracFone Wireless does not require its customers to enter into a service contract. TracFone Wireless customers enjoy the freedom TracFone has to offer – No Bills, No Contracts, No Surprises – you are in control. Prepaid is all TracFone Wireless does and with over 10 million subscribers, TracFone Wireless does it better than anybody else.
TracFone Wireless believes that cell phone ownership is a right and an important tool for individual success in today's world. Everyone should have a cell phone without the need for a contract or a high credit rating. People should have the right to always know what their cell phone service will cost and no one should have to pay more than they want or can afford. TracFone Wireless believes in making the cost to own & maintain a cell phone as low as possible and TracFone Wireless never charges extra fees to activate your service.
TracFone Wireless is glad to lead the movement in the U.S. to make cell phone service available to everyone. TracFone Wireless invests hundreds of millions of dollars every year to reduce the prices of our cell phones and make them affordable for all.
Allende

Belmont, NH

#116 Sep 20, 2009
Think about this....everyone wants people on welfare to "get a job." How do you get a job today if you don't have a phone?

“Get your head out of your ass.”

Since: Oct 08

Erie

#117 Sep 20, 2009
Allende wrote:
Think about this....everyone wants people on welfare to "get a job." How do you get a job today if you don't have a phone?
These people can get a job the same way that people got jobs 30 years ago, before cell phones. Cell phones are a luxury, not a necessity.

Since: Aug 09

Erie, PA

#118 Sep 20, 2009
BeckyKnapp wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally disagree with you.
The "taxpayer" is not paying for these phones. Verizon has CHOSEN to GIVE them away -- and the company can do whatever it wants to do. That's like saying Nike shouldn't give away shoes, if they chose to do so. It's THEIR company, and it's THEIR phones. The qualifications for getting these phones (I checked) are that you have to be LOW INCOME. That doesn't mean ON WELFARE. Your family income has to be under a certain amount to qualify.
As I said, Verizon MAKES money because people buy more minutes to put on their phones. If the company wasn't MAKING money -- you can BET they wouldn't be giving those cheap phones away.
The premise for the program is that it's a SAFETY thing. It gives low income people a way to call 911, call for help, let someone know they're stranded 10 miles out on a lonely road at night.
I don't know what you see as so wrong with THAT.
That's the objective of the program -- and it doesn't cost "taxpayers" a thing.
I didn't imply or mean to that taxpayers pay for that. Verizon customers do. Low income my ass. If they are so low income, why are there so many nice cars parked in the projects? They don't use them to call for help. Usually anyway. But I did look into it again. And again, you must be receiving welfare in some shape or form to get them. If people want cellphones, do like I do. Pay for them with their own money earned from a job standing up. Not with their legs in the air.

Erie, PA

#119 Sep 20, 2009
Mrs_D wrote:
<quoted text>
These people can get a job the same way that people got jobs 30 years ago, before cell phones. Cell phones are a luxury, not a necessity.
Exactly. Too bad welfare wasn't as shameful as it was 30 years ago. Less people would be on it.

Erie, PA

#120 Sep 20, 2009
Allende wrote:
Go fill out applications.

Erie, PA

#121 Sep 20, 2009
Ok, I missed the OR low income part. But how many working people that do not collect welfare really get the phones?
unknown

Dewittville, NY

#122 Sep 23, 2009
48 minutes are more than enough to call 911, it is a free call from cell phones, doesn't take from their minutes. If they give them away they ought to give the people who pay for their own phones something off in the taxes that there on them. Come to this state, they come here to get the benefits, have heard people say that this state has better ones then any other. They come and collect their monthly checks get the medicaid, get better dental care and care that I do, with insurance, and paying. Just plain wrong.
SafeLink Know

San Antonio, TX

#123 Sep 28, 2009
SafeLink wireless is funded through the FCC and not by taxpayers. SafeLink is part of the Lifeline program that has been around since 1984 and many people have used Lifeline before SafeLink was created. Lifeline is funded by the Universal Service Fund which is funded by all major telephone carriers. SafeLink is the only one that is providing Lifeline in cellular form. The cell phone is subsidized by Tracfone, not by the FCC.
Erite

Pittsburgh, PA

#124 Sep 28, 2009

Erie, PA

#125 Sep 28, 2009
SafeLink Know wrote:
SafeLink wireless is funded through the FCC and not by taxpayers. SafeLink is part of the Lifeline program that has been around since 1984 and many people have used Lifeline before SafeLink was created. Lifeline is funded by the Universal Service Fund which is funded by all major telephone carriers. SafeLink is the only one that is providing Lifeline in cellular form. The cell phone is subsidized by Tracfone, not by the FCC.
Who cares who pays for it. No, Verizon customers shouldn't pay for it through higher bills, but it is what it is. The point is, if it is a phone that is supposed to be for emergencies, enable it for 911 only.
unknown

Westfield, NY

#126 Sep 30, 2009
Why should I pay a higher bill with Verizon for them, don't see Verizon giving their customers lower rates. Just let them have 911 enabled on them phone for the emergencies, that's all they need. Minutes for them tracfones isn't that much they can get 30 minutes for 9.99$ every 60 days.
NOAY

Carlton, MN

#127 Oct 18, 2009
Mrs_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen.
Last time I checked, a cell phone was not a necessity. Nothing funnier than seeing a welfare junkie pay for their food with magic fairy dust (aka access card), while glued to their blue-tooth headset.
What's next? Free flat screens for the poor?
SOME PEOPLE USE A CELL AS THEIR ONLY PHONE DIP S*IT.

Erie, PA

#128 Oct 18, 2009
NOAY wrote:
<quoted text>SOME PEOPLE USE A CELL AS THEIR ONLY PHONE DIP S*IT.
If they use a cell as their only phone, they should have to pay for it - NOT Verizon's customers.
what ever

Chesapeake, VA

#129 Oct 20, 2009
dont you people have anything else to do then 2 hate on people...get a life.

Erie, PA

#130 Oct 20, 2009
what ever wrote:
dont you people have anything else to do then 2 hate on people...get a life.
You must be one of the freeloaders.

Since: Apr 09

erie pa

#131 Oct 20, 2009
Munchkinsmom wrote:
<quoted text>
If they use a cell as their only phone, they should have to pay for it - NOT Verizon's customers.
thegovernment pays for the phone . they only use the verizon network

Erie, PA

#132 Oct 21, 2009
robert nc wrote:
<quoted text>thegovernment pays for the phone . they only use the verizon network
Wrong. Verizon customers pay for it. It is not a government program. Verizon's customers pay for it through added fees on their bills. Look it up.

“I swear to God it is”

Since: Jul 09

Erie, PA

#133 Oct 21, 2009
My mother-in-law, who lives alone and is in her late 70's, has one. She is on a very low fixed income and only has it for emergencies. She rarely has it on, and I don't know that she has ever used it unless it is to call for a ride. I believe this is the main intent of the program, and it gives her great piece of mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do u serve a subpeona 9 min driver 6
Kazakhstan to purchase 900 GE locomotives 13 min Real news 10
Sasso sentence 15 min Wapner 3
White Psychos (Jun '15) 31 min observer 54
Diversity why? 42 min ice 11
This takes the cake!!! 1 hr jamal 11
Failure to Report and Investigate 2 hr realist 30
GE is gone 11 hr Tena 33
United Way stops helping Erie nonprofits? 13 hr local rube 30
Prep Basketball?? 19 hr ZUGZWANG 10