PA's Free Welfare Cell Phones

Posted in the Erie Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
No obama Fan

Oil City, PA

#1 Mar 12, 2009
Pgh TV advertises free cell phones for PA's people on welfare. WHAT THE FORK!! It's called "safelink". Is this advertised in the Erie TV market.

Stop this welfare abuse NOW!!

MBP-CALI

“It's Alive - The Elusive MBP”

Since: Jan 09

Dreary Erie Mistake on da Lake

#2 Mar 12, 2009
Oh man, I don't have a cell phone due to economics but welfare folks get one?
Even as a leftist this cheeses me off.
mary p-

Hancock, MD

#4 Mar 12, 2009
I saw a commercial for that today. Food and shelter are one thing but geez.....

“Enjoying the sunshine ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Mar 12, 2009
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPu...

http://digital50.com/news/71915

Some information on it, since it is not actually funded by the gov.

PHILADELPHIA-(Business Wire)-February 9, 2009 - Today, TracFone Wireless, Inc., America’s leading prepaid cell phone provider, announced its launch of SafeLink Wireless® in most of Pennsylvania. SafeLink Wireless will serve as the company’s distribution of Lifeline - a U.S. government supported program for income eligible households that ensures telephone service is available and affordable for eligible low income households.

The SafeLink Wireless service will provide eligible low-income households a free cell phone, mobile access to emergency services and free 68 minutes of air time, monthly, for one year. The cell phone offers in-demand features: voicemail, text, call waiting, international calling to over 60 destinations and caller ID.

“More than half a million households in Pennsylvania qualify for the Lifeline services – offering these participants the opportunity to have the same access and privileges many individuals take for granted when it comes to using cell phones,” said Jose Fuentes, Director of Government Relations for TracFone.“The SafeLink Wireless service is truly unique because we are providing a service that no other company has made available before – a free cell phone and free monthly minutes to qualifying low income families,” added Fuentes. SafeLink Wireless offers low-income families accessibility, freedom and the security in knowing that should an emergency occur – wherever they are, they will stay safe and stay connected.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) created the Lifeline program in 1984 and worked to update the service after the crises of Hurricanes Katrina and Ike, as well as the tragedy of September 11th. At the dawn of the 21st century, modern universal telephone service is necessary not only to ensure that the U.S. maintains a rapid, efficient, nationwide communications network, it is important for the purpose of national defense and to promote safety of life and property. By approving the SafeLink Wireless program, the FCC took action to enhance its Lifeline program and keep the right to communicate in pace with technology.

The Funding of Lifeline

Lifeline is part of the Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund (USF), which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) and is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. 1700 carriers are eligible to provide the program but TracFone is the first pre-paid company to have elevated the program to modern day communications.

The Lifeline program is not funded from federal taxpayer dollars, but rather from contributions to the USF by telecommunications carriers collected in part from the Universal Service Charge billed to cell phone users. Instead of a discount on the user's monthly bill, SafeLink applies the USF subsidy to free wireless minutes. Although a common misconception, TracFone provides the free wireless cell phone to the SafeLink program at the company’s expense, in order to make the program viable and attractive.
No obama Fan

Oil City, PA

#6 Mar 12, 2009
So this cost is added onto my cell phone bill? What the FORK! Stop this welfare abuse, NOW!!
tombo

Edinboro, PA

#7 Mar 12, 2009
Rider Kat wrote:
https://www.safelinkwireless.c om/EnrollmentPublic/home.aspx
http://digital50.com/news/71915
Some information on it, since it is not actually funded by the gov.
PHILADELPHIA-(Business Wire)-February 9, 2009 - Today, TracFone Wireless, Inc., America’s leading prepaid cell phone provider, announced its launch of SafeLink Wireless® in most of Pennsylvania. SafeLink Wireless will serve as the company’s distribution of Lifeline - a U.S. government supported program for income eligible households that ensures telephone service is available and affordable for eligible low income households.
The SafeLink Wireless service will provide eligible low-income households a free cell phone, mobile access to emergency services and free 68 minutes of air time, monthly, for one year. The cell phone offers in-demand features: voicemail, text, call waiting, international calling to over 60 destinations and caller ID.
“More than half a million households in Pennsylvania qualify for the Lifeline services – offering these participants the opportunity to have the same access and privileges many individuals take for granted when it comes to using cell phones,” said Jose Fuentes, Director of Government Relations for TracFone.“The SafeLink Wireless service is truly unique because we are providing a service that no other company has made available before – a free cell phone and free monthly minutes to qualifying low income families,” added Fuentes. SafeLink Wireless offers low-income families accessibility, freedom and the security in knowing that should an emergency occur – wherever they are, they will stay safe and stay connected.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) created the Lifeline program in 1984 and worked to update the service after the crises of Hurricanes Katrina and Ike, as well as the tragedy of September 11th. At the dawn of the 21st century, modern universal telephone service is necessary not only to ensure that the U.S. maintains a rapid, efficient, nationwide communications network, it is important for the purpose of national defense and to promote safety of life and property. By approving the SafeLink Wireless program, the FCC took action to enhance its Lifeline program and keep the right to communicate in pace with technology.
The Funding of Lifeline
Lifeline is part of the Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund (USF), which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) and is designed to ensure that quality telecommunications services are available to low-income customers at just, reasonable, and affordable rates. 1700 carriers are eligible to provide the program but TracFone is the first pre-paid company to have elevated the program to modern day communications.
The Lifeline program is not funded from federal taxpayer dollars, but rather from contributions to the USF by telecommunications carriers collected in part from the Universal Service Charge billed to cell phone users. Instead of a discount on the user's monthly bill, SafeLink applies the USF subsidy to free wireless minutes. Although a common misconception, TracFone provides the free wireless cell phone to the SafeLink program at the company’s expense, in order to make the program viable and attractive.
Don't go ruining a perfectly good lynch mob with the real story Kat.
No obama Fan

Oil City, PA

#8 Mar 12, 2009
I say again, why should I pay more for my cell phone so welfare rats can use theirs for drug deals! What the FORK!!
D Duke

Erie, PA

#9 Mar 12, 2009
FCC program set up under the BUSH administration. In Pa you get 42 mins a month. The idea is was developed in 1984 when Rayguns was President. So No Obama Fan your outrage needs to be aimed at 2 Republican Presidents. btw so you don't have to strain yourself in a little research before you rant: the President picks who runs the FCC subject to approval by the congress. The whole plan and its origins where by Republican Presidents. Obama has absolutely nothing to do with it. Wanna shoot your mouth off some more?
No obama Fan wrote:
I say again, why should I pay more for my cell phone so welfare rats can use theirs for drug deals! What the FORK!!
No obama Fan

Oil City, PA

#10 Mar 12, 2009
I don't care who was president when this rip off of my money took place. The bottom line is that I'm paying extra fees for welfare cheats to have a free cell phone. WHAT THE FORK!!

“Enjoying the sunshine ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#11 Mar 12, 2009
tombo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't go ruining a perfectly good lynch mob with the real story Kat.
Well, sorry... but honestly all the people who paid for cell phone plans are helping out the people that need or at least qualify and take advantage of the program.
I have had a cell phone for years and if alittle of my money helps pay for someone to be able to have one that may need it for an emergency then so be it. I hardly think that they are taking advantage of the program with the minutes that they give them.=) But that is just my humble opinion.
D Duke

Erie, PA

#12 Mar 13, 2009
Let me see if I understand your basic premise:'Anyone who gets welfare is a cheat'. Is that about right? You are upset that those who qualify are being given what amounts to a little over 1 minute a day of free time? Is your world that narrow? How sad everyday must be to live in your shoes.
No obama Fan wrote:
I don't care who was president when this rip off of my money took place. The bottom line is that I'm paying extra fees for welfare cheats to have a free cell phone. WHAT THE FORK!!
tombo

Edinboro, PA

#13 Mar 13, 2009
Rider Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, sorry... but honestly all the people who paid for cell phone plans are helping out the people that need or at least qualify and take advantage of the program.
I have had a cell phone for years and if alittle of my money helps pay for someone to be able to have one that may need it for an emergency then so be it. I hardly think that they are taking advantage of the program with the minutes that they give them.=) But that is just my humble opinion.
I was just teasing. But in reality the program is a good idea if the strategy is to help poor people get off the welfare rolls. This same issue came up a couple of weeks ago when a homeless guy used a cell phone to take a picture of somebody (I think Michelle Obama) at a soup kitchen. The idea is that if these people don't have a phone, how are they going to be contacted by potential employers. In theory a good idea, that really doesn't cost much. It's not like they can use them for anything by limited emergencies and light use. While I'm sure there are abuses, it's the kind of program most seem to think is a good idea.
BO Plenty

Fredericksburg, VA

#15 Mar 13, 2009
No obama Fan wrote:
call me ...on my welfare cell
Can you hear me now

Waterford, PA

#16 Mar 13, 2009
Unfricken real!! These jagoffs need to get out and get a GD job. A phone is a right - especially at my expense. Wanna save some tax dollars - ELIMINATE Welfare!!
K Mac

United States

#17 Mar 13, 2009
My boss wants us to tell our residents about this, but I can tell you, we have very few low-income residents who don't already have cell phones.
K Mac

United States

#18 Mar 13, 2009
BO Plenty wrote:
<quoted text>
call me ...on my welfare cell
Welfare or living in the projects no longer has the stigma it once had, much like teen/unwed mothers. Reducing the stigma has hurt more than it has helped, IMO.
tombo

Edinboro, PA

#19 Mar 13, 2009
K Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
Welfare or living in the projects no longer has the stigma it once had, much like teen/unwed mothers. Reducing the stigma has hurt more than it has helped, IMO.
That doesn't hold true with the stats. Welfare rates have been in steady decline since reform programs started in the 90's when Clinton and the Republicans were working together. It sounds like you're a bit jaded because you encounter it on a daily basis...are you in a low income housing industry?
Sassy Sunshine

Erie, PA

#20 Mar 13, 2009
No obama Fan wrote:
Maybe you can call and talk to them. So you will have something other than "WHAT THE FORK" to say
nosmedleyfan

Dewittville, NY

#21 Mar 13, 2009
sassy...that poster is actually an idjut who first introduced his/herself as Smedley...has never had an intelligent post or meaningful exchange with anyone..on another thread as IVAW he/she invites people to join him/her in Washington for a demonstration...on another tried to get people interested in a picnic....fact is if he/she ever gets up the courage to identify his/herself, he/she will be on the receiving end of one HUGE arse kicking....and rightly so!

don't waste your time looking for an intelligent response.
K Mac

United States

#22 Mar 13, 2009
tombo wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't hold true with the stats. Welfare rates have been in steady decline since reform programs started in the 90's when Clinton and the Republicans were working together. It sounds like you're a bit jaded because you encounter it on a daily basis...are you in a low income housing industry?
There are a lot of poor people who are not on welfare. Cash assistance is only $205 a month, and many don't think it's worth it to do what they want you to (go to school, try to find work, etc...). But there are still food stamps and housing assistance, which have no work or school qualifications. Yes, I am in the low-income housing industry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Refuge Band? 45 min Dont Get Out Much 1
neighbor accused of destroying video evidence 46 min Jazz 22
GE set to announce closing 54 min Voigt 283
Will G.E announce a plant closing? 59 min Pepsi 34
Lawn Jockeys 1 hr Buffalo rd 3
Champion Ford using out of state paving contrac... 1 hr Billy 1
Hilary is correct 2 hr NFP 1
Mike palermo (Jan '14) 4 hr Keyboard Big Balls 168
Tough Guy Tim Feldman 12 hr Nate Higgers 11

Erie Jobs