West Erie Plaza owners turn to Facebook users for ideas

The new owner of the West Erie Plaza are shopping social media for ideas on how to reinvigorate the complex and fill empty storefronts. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marcella

Arlington, TX

#1 Feb 13, 2013
Definitely a theatre to show movies. There are not enough movie theatres in Erie and not any in that part of town. In Dallas, Texas at Northpark Mall they have an AMC high-class movie theatre with a very classy cocktail bar. Very nice.

A really good 4-star restaurant. Not always a chain restaurant.

A Hallmark store.

A book store like Barnes & Noble or one with staying power.

Starbucks was already mentioned and that's a great idea.

How about a really good bakery? That would draw folks in.

A top of the line dress store.

A jewelry store.
shale

Struthers, OH

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Marcella wrote:
Definitely a theatre to show movies. There are not enough movie theatres in Erie and not any in that part of town. In Dallas, Texas at Northpark Mall they have an AMC high-class movie theatre with a very classy cocktail bar. Very nice.
A Hallmark store.
A jewelry store.
I also think a GC. Murphys. and a Record Den would do well
Road warrior

Ringgold, GA

#3 Feb 13, 2013
Time to bring decent shopping away from the mall and Peach St. jam.
dorsey

Erie, PA

#4 Feb 13, 2013
anyone have a link to the facebook page? I searched facebook and couldn't find it. WTH, why didn't tthe GoErie article list the URL?
search

Erie, PA

#5 Feb 13, 2013
http://www.facebook.com/ #!/pages/West-Erie-Plaza/13876 3982922578
laughs

Erie, PA

#6 Feb 13, 2013
Marcella wrote:
A Hallmark store.
A jewelry store.
a bookstore?! nobody read actual books anymore. Barnes and Noble wont exist in a few years if they dont change their business model. Hello Borders!
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#7 Feb 13, 2013
Don't know how this would be paid for but howz about some type of regional visitor's center?

The plaza is a stone's throw from I-79. Perhaps GPS has eliminated a need for such a center but if it not only gave co-ordinates but had employees talk things up like a salesman losing his home, it might work.

Things like local bed & breakfasts, Ridge center, the peninsula, the State Street drinking strip, fishing sites, blah, blah, blah, maybe it could survive in one storefront or added small space.

Plus if people come to the site, they'll likely visit the other storefronts as the beginning of their journey perhaps.

Maybe we could get Bob's guns and shooting range to locate there. Yee haw ;)

Plus for a price they could inform them about the Eastside of Erie.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#8 Feb 13, 2013
laughs wrote:
<quoted text>
a bookstore?! nobody read actual books anymore.
Does this mean no more Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses at my door? Yoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!
Nasty

Erie, PA

#9 Feb 13, 2013
Erie will say it wants better stores, restaurants, etc. but Erie can't support things that cost above discount rates. Look at that ratty dollar movie theater behind the Millcreek Mall that recently closed. People were upset because they grew to expect movies to cost $1 or $1.50.
I knew a guy who worked there for a while. They used to run a special on Tuesday where you could get in for 50 cents. Guess which day was the most crowded ? You got it. Erie at it's finest !
These larger department stores in the mall stock their floor space with merchandise reflective of the spending capability of their location. For instance,Erie's stores generally have a much lower quantity of nicer clothing than stores located in areas of higher education,income,and life styles.
So when contemplating what to place in the dilapidated West Erie Plaza, placement of more discount stores may be all this area can handle.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#10 Feb 13, 2013
Nasty wrote:
Erie will say it wants better stores, restaurants, etc. but Erie can't support things that cost above discount rates. Look at that ratty dollar movie theater behind the Millcreek Mall that recently closed. People were upset because they grew to expect movies to cost $1 or $1.50.
I knew a guy who worked there for a while. They used to run a special on Tuesday where you could get in for 50 cents. Guess which day was the most crowded ? You got it. Erie at it's finest !
These larger department stores in the mall stock their floor space with merchandise reflective of the spending capability of their location. For instance,Erie's stores generally have a much lower quantity of nicer clothing than stores located in areas of higher education,income,and life styles.
So when contemplating what to place in the dilapidated West Erie Plaza, placement of more discount stores may be all this area can handle.
Waldameer is mega expanding. Let's say people East, Buffalo way want to come. They'll take 90 to 79. People South, Pittsbugh way will take 79. Say they get off on the 12th Street Exit. It is one light West to find the West Erie Plaza.

Simple directions plus things of interest may be a draw. Same with people from Erie going to Waldameer, they drive right by if not very close to it. BTW if they're going to Waldameer, they have bucks to spend IMO.

Getting them there is the main problem. It's easy to manipulate people into buying things on impulse.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#11 Feb 13, 2013
Nasty wrote:
FYI at a store in the mall I recently bought my niece a $150 pair of pants. This after spending near as much at Victoria's Secret.(An exceptional thing but cash none the less.)

If the West Erie Plaza had the buzz and my niece wanted to go there, they would have got my dough.

Look around parts of Erie that aren't the slums. It's people with money that have those nice houses. Erie has money.

IMO the West Erie Plaza is a good location, location, location and if it can get it's buzz on IMO it could be a smashing success. For example, get Justin Bieber to mention it and you'll have to beat the customers away.

Customers of course being young kids who bug the shit out of their parents until they relent ;)
lion tamer

Erie, PA

#12 Feb 13, 2013
skip the pee pee wrote:
Don't know how this would be paid for but howz about some type of regional visitor's center?
The plaza is a stone's throw from I-79. Perhaps GPS has eliminated a need for such a center but if it not only gave co-ordinates but had employees talk things up like a salesman losing his home, it might work.
Things like local bed & breakfasts, Ridge center, the peninsula, the State Street drinking strip, fishing sites, blah, blah, blah, maybe it could survive in one storefront or added small space.
Plus if people come to the site, they'll likely visit the other storefronts as the beginning of their journey perhaps.
Maybe we could get Bob's guns and shooting range to locate there. Yee haw ;)
Plus for a price they could inform them about the Eastside of Erie.
what planet are you from?
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#13 Feb 13, 2013
lion tamer wrote:
<quoted text>
what planet are you from?
Uranus. No wait! That was like the worst answer evah!!!!!!!!!!
cheetos

Erie, PA

#14 Feb 13, 2013
he bought his niece Victoria's Secret......
Tim leary

United States

#15 Feb 13, 2013
Baby baby baby you're out of time
Baby baby baby you're out of time
You're obsolete my baby
My poor, unfaithful lady
I said, Baby baby baby
You're out of time.:-)
cheetos

United States

#16 Feb 13, 2013
cheetos wrote:
he bought his niece Victoria's Secret......
Read it closely chump, he bought his niece pants; he did not say he bought her VS. Hes extremely generous to everyone that hes close to and shes a good deserving kid. Besides what do you care?
disgusting

Erie, PA

#17 Feb 13, 2013
It doesn't surprise me that someone from Titusville doesn't see something wrong with buying a niece lingerie.
cheetos

United States

#18 Feb 13, 2013
disgusting wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that someone from Titusville doesn't see something wrong with buying a niece lingerie.
I'm not from Titusville or remotely close, and only you would think that he bought his neice lingerie you little perv!
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#19 Feb 13, 2013
disgusting wrote:
Not lingerie doof. Sweats, hoodies and stuff that says "Pink" on them. It's a fashion statement like bell bottoms were.
thissitesucks

Erie, PA

#20 Feb 14, 2013
Given Erie's current demographics, the best use for the West Erie Plaza would be:

*Homeless Shelter
*Revitalized strip mall containing pawn shops, strip clubs, liquor stores, and a plasma donation center.
*Extension to the Erie Prison
*Saint West Erie Plaza Medical Center Charity Hospital (for all the shootings, homeless people freezing to death, etc.)
*The International Institute's new location, given that the fastest growing population in Erie seems to be the refugees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tracy Teudhope's Magnificent Mammaries. Holy Fu... 2 hr FartMonger 32
last rites mc? (Aug '12) 3 hr mind your own 23
how many are in fake marriages 3 hr giganticweiner HOH 27
Erie Raising taxes 4 hr eat my sassafrassy 13
crazy Kathy obit? 4 hr cheetos 2
Marine Sactuary? 6 hr misery bay strokers 8
I am succeding 6 hr doug wilson 10
Does Cathedral Prep really care about inner cit... 8 hr Areyoustupid 126
saint vincent surgery center 17 hr Bobs your Uncle 13
Erie Dating