Future if ge in Erie

Future if ge in Erie

Posted in the Erie Forum

Merlin

United States

#1 Feb 12, 2010
I wanted to open a discussion on what people think about ge in Erie. What's the outlook by everyone working at ge or not working there
GE GOSSIP SUPREME

Erie, PA

#2 Feb 12, 2010
Well, Westinghouse was gonna buy them out back in the 60's & 70's

Then First Japan then Ford in the 80's

Ford again in the 90's

If you talk to many GE employees, every time someone walks on site for a jog interview, they think someone is gonna buy them out ans close it.
GE GOSSIP SUPREME

Erie, PA

#3 Feb 12, 2010
Job - Jog Whatever
Buckshot Jones

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2010
Having worked in the plastics industry (distributor) in Erie for several years I can give you an anecdotal summary of how GE operates.
A plastics shop wins a bid to make 500,000 parts for 2 cents each.
Plastics shop makes parts.
GE decides they only want to pay 1 cent per part.
Plastic shop refuses to take the cheaper price and threatens legal action.
GE says they will accept legal action and tie it up in court for years. Plastic shop has no choice and sells for 1 cent each. They have driven several small shops out of business this way.
Merlin

United States

#5 Feb 12, 2010
I have to start by saying I have worked many different jobs over the years Union and non union. Low wages and good wages. I can say that the very first day I walked into ge and saw all the manual labor type work going on.. This can't last. From my exsperiance in other shops a voice inside said " these are the type if jobs that cheap foreign labor does " when I saw lean implemented. That voice said... " this is how it begins" lean hasn't made much sense. On the surface. But. Why? Many areas do less work than before and they will pay me the same as when I did twice as much. Sounds not to bad... Hhmmm? But each process is broken down into manageable bits. Other work was removed that didn't fit the new process. Why? When broken down to more managable and simpler processes. It makes the work more suitable to unskilled labor! Oh. I hear those who say that ge will always be here! There have been people saying ge is going away for the last 60 years!!! They are still here! Yes they are.. But from making dozens of products over the years to makeing less than a dozen products today. From over 15,000 employees to 2200 today? They are still here. But you got to say they have been leaving for a long time.
snag

Erie, PA

#6 Feb 12, 2010
Merlin, you are correct! Anymore labor "walkouts" - slowdowns will send management looking for another home, China, Europe, South America are now just a short ship load of engines, short rail drive from South America.
Another 5 years and jobs are gone, if that!
Adam Smiths hand job

Canton, OH

#7 Feb 12, 2010
Adam Smiths hand job

Canton, OH

#8 Feb 12, 2010
I got this to play without the commercial but at the start of the video there's a 13 second Geico commercial.
Please watch through it to get to the song which is ironic in light of the commercial.
snag

Erie, PA

#9 Feb 13, 2010
Allentown is now larger than Erie, must be more jobs there.
mrkihn

Port Clinton, OH

#10 Feb 18, 2010
Buckshot Jones wrote:
Having worked in the plastics industry (distributor) in Erie for several years I can give you an anecdotal summary of how GE operates.
A plastics shop wins a bid to make 500,000 parts for 2 cents each.
Plastics shop makes parts.
GE decides they only want to pay 1 cent per part.
Plastic shop refuses to take the cheaper price and threatens legal action.
GE says they will accept legal action and tie it up in court for years. Plastic shop has no choice and sells for 1 cent each. They have driven several small shops out of business this way.
Then after the plastic shop makes them for 1 cent ge goes to china and has the part made for a 1/4 cent

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remove Confederate Statues from Capital says N... 5 min Stand by your bel... 6
We Are All Nazis now!!! 15 min Youaredumb 20
Housing blight in Erie, PA. Kudos to the City o... 25 min Just saying 7
How are negotiations going with union and GE.? 41 min Union CPA 38
Barry Dane STEINHAGEN 44 min The Rican 8
Kinzua Dam mysteriously clised 52 min everyone 8
Will blacks change their last names?? 1 hr English 101 4
John Persinger 1 hr Dolt Watch Watch 13
Bizarro must go 1 hr Tyson 38
Mother Theresa Academy 8 hr Freeloaders 51