Jailed for Felony Poverty

Posted in the Erie Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mr Peanut

United States

#1 Apr 1, 2014
Shenesa Taylor, a homeless mother of two in Arizona, wasliving in her Durango with her two children. She finally got ajob interview with an insurance company.

Believing she would only be inside a short time, she left her kids in the car with the windows cracked. The interview lasted 1 and a half hours.

A passerby called police. She was arrested and charged with 2 felony counts.

Damn her, all she wanted was that welfare check! We all know they don't want jobs!

Arizona has made huge cuts in all child care services except for Childrens and Youth services.(The "parent police").

There was no child care available to this woman to be able to attend her interview.

We have gone back to the days of Dickens.
thousand points of light

United States

#2 Apr 1, 2014
Living in your car with your two kids. Try getting your head around that level of desperation
saddened

Erie, PA

#3 Apr 1, 2014
thousand points of light wrote:
Living in your car with your two kids. Try getting your head around that level of desperation
Greatest country on earth. That handle is becoming a bigger crock of shit every day.
yoo hoo

North East, PA

#4 Apr 1, 2014
Let's make a distinction. Living out of a car is tragic. It's not tragic that someone gets put in jail for leaving their kids unattended in a car for an hour and a half.
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#5 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo wrote:
Let's make a distinction. Living out of a car is tragic. It's not tragic that someone gets put in jail for leaving their kids unattended in a car for an hour and a half.
Really? Tell me what you would have done in her situation, Nancy Grace.
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#6 Apr 1, 2014
"In France, government run nurseries provide subsidized care for all children from infancy forward.(3 months old.) The care is provided by well paid, well trained and dedicated personnel. They consider this to be an important job.

Childcare in America, by comparison, while wildly more expensive to the parents, is shabby in quality, to the point of putting the cared for children in physical danger.

We do not arrive at this situation by accident, but by design. By budget decisions taken in cold blood by state and county governments.

“It’s reasonable to turn the lens back on us,” Shahera Hyatt, Project Director for the California Homeless Youth Project, told ThinkProgress.“What did we do to not help her find childcare when she had that appointment?”

Hyatt points to her own state, California, which has cut 110,000 subsidized child care slots, about a quarter of the total spots in the program, since 2008, leaving low-income parents with few feasible options for child care on short notice.

Arizona’s child care situation for its low-income residents is, if anything, worse than California’s. In the past four years, the state has cut 40 percent of its total child care budget,$81 million, which led to an estimated 33,000 children who would otherwise be eligible for subsidized care to go without it.(By the numbers, that’s less than California — but Arizona’s population is about one fifth of the Golden State’s.) Between 2012 and 2013, there was a decrease in the number of children served for every single child care program in the stateexcept for Child Protective Services.
yoo hoo

North East, PA

#7 Apr 1, 2014
Tim Leary wrote:
<quoted text>Really? Tell me what you would have done in her situation, Nancy Grace.
Whatever it took not to leave my kids unattended in my car for an hour and a half. They would have been priority one.

Also if possible, cough up the baby daddie's names so they could pay child support and potentially accept some other responsibilities.
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#8 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever it took not to leave my kids unattended in my car for an hour and a half. They would have been priority one.
Also if possible, cough up the baby daddie's names so they could pay child support and potentially accept some other responsibilities.
What is "whatever it took"? That is a non-answer. You are living in your car with your kids. It is your home. Eventually, you can't keep up with the costs of keeping the car going, if you lose that you and your kids will be in the very real position of millions of others living outdoors. You wouldn't have gone to the interview if you couldn't get someone to watch the kids?
I know you will dig your heels in the more I disagree, so this is it.

https://www.google.com/search...
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#10 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo

North East, PA

#12 Apr 1, 2014
Tim Leary wrote:
<quoted text>What is "whatever it took"? That is a non-answer. You are living in your car with your kids. It is your home. Eventually, you can't keep up with the costs of keeping the car going, if you lose that you and your kids will be in the very real position of millions of others living outdoors. You wouldn't have gone to the interview if you couldn't get someone to watch the kids?
I know you will dig your heels in the more I disagree, so this is it.
https://www.google.com/search...
I think the real problem is that for whatever reason she didn't know the interview would take an hour and a half.(And don't forget, an interview isn't a job. This could potentially happen many times.)

Had she known how long it would take and when it was scheduled for I'd be willing to bet that if she went to a local church, explained her situation and asked them for help watching her kids for a couple hours so se could interview for a job, she'd have had a solution.

Heck if she'd have come here I'd have watched the coconuts if it would have helped her try to help herself :)

BTW Although I know who Nancy Grace is I haven't had TV access for over a year so I don't know what she's into lately.
You Cant Imagine

Erie, PA

#13 Apr 1, 2014
what it feels like.
I've lived in my car.
That is bad enough.
The guilt and sense of worthlessness to have your two kids in the same situation is off the chart, those feelings reinforced by our consumerist society and right wing blowhards.
Dealing with their questions as to why you have to live like this.
Not being able to give them what "normal" people take for granted.
No a single hand reaching out to help - but try to "raise yourself up by the bootstraps" and make one slip and they WILL throw your ass in the pen.
Bull$hit.
You Cant Imagine

Erie, PA

#14 Apr 1, 2014
I understand "bootstraps" cooked in poverty juice make a wonderful stew.
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#15 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the real problem is that for whatever reason she didn't know the interview would take an hour and a half.(And don't forget, an interview isn't a job. This could potentially happen many times.)
Had she known how long it would take and when it was scheduled for I'd be willing to bet that if she went to a local church, explained her situation and asked them for help watching her kids for a couple hours so se could interview for a job, she'd have had a solution.
Heck if she'd have come here I'd have watched the coconuts if it would have helped her try to help herself :)
BTW Although I know who Nancy Grace is I haven't had TV access for over a year so I don't know what she's into lately.
I hear you brother, and I know you have a heart. The good news - her story got out and last I heard a fund was raised to pay her bail of $9,000. She is out of jail, but her legal troubles are far from over. People from all over have sent a bout $65,000 bucks. A lot of people said what you said- they would have watched the kids. Unfortunately, if you are a Mom living in a car you are already in a world of sh it and are invisible to everyone but the police it seems.
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#16 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo

North East, PA

#17 Apr 1, 2014
Biological attachments are genetic and strong. And speaking of a materialist / consumerist society people shouldn't feel like just because they love their kids they own them as if they were things.

Another solution might have been to give the kids to children's services possibly with the idea that a foster family would give them back once the mom got back on her feet. That's where the kids are now anyhow I presume.

The other glaring problem is that the mother thought this was ok. I 'd bet most people won't give their kids up in these situations because the parent doesn't want to feel bad, not because the kids are better off living in desperation with a mother who thinks that's a better life for the kids. It's the sin of ego and pride.
cheetos

United States

#18 Apr 1, 2014
What age were her children? I think that would have been a major factor in the charges.
yoo hoo

North East, PA

#19 Apr 1, 2014
Tim Leary wrote:
<quoted text>I hear you brother, and I know you have a heart. The good news - her story got out and last I heard a fund was raised to pay her bail of $9,000. She is out of jail, but her legal troubles are far from over. People from all over have sent a bout $65,000 bucks. A lot of people said what you said- they would have watched the kids. Unfortunately, if you are a Mom living in a car you are already in a world of sh it and are invisible to everyone but the police it seems.
Again, and no not just to be disagreeable but the problem wasn't just money. It was her judgment IMO. But what you said shows people DO care though.

And while this may sound odd coming from an atheist I think all people know nobody is invisible to the arm of the church IF you're at least coherent, sincere and trying to make the world better somehow, not just hustling.

Also I wondered why she didn't just have her and her kids hold out cardboard signs asking for money. Meh. Who knows. Probably pride and ego...the same thing that will probably kill me someday :)
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#20 Apr 1, 2014
cheetos wrote:
What age were her children? I think that would have been a major factor in the charges.
Here is her story. All sides considered.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/03/27/3...
Tim Leary

Erie, PA

#21 Apr 1, 2014
yoo hoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, and no not just to be disagreeable but the problem wasn't just money. It was her judgment IMO. But what you said shows people DO care though.
And while this may sound odd coming from an atheist I think all people know nobody is invisible to the arm of the church IF you're at least coherent, sincere and trying to make the world better somehow, not just hustling.
Also I wondered why she didn't just have her and her kids hold out cardboard signs asking for money. Meh. Who knows. Probably pride and ego...the same thing that will probably kill me someday :)
It's just hard for me to imagine a blow like that. You walk in to an interview, thinking you are finally getting the break you've been praying for, you walk out the door walking on air, and into a nightmare and your life is over.
skip the pee pee

North East, PA

#22 Apr 1, 2014
cheetos wrote:
It's alive. ALIVE!!!!(And of course I mean the "royal" it. Never mind. You never saw The Big Lebowski :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comrade Trump 10 min tim leary 7
News Sanders' defense: Erie jurors tainted 30 min cheetos 10
Can L Park survive 32 min Submitcomment 16
Did EPD go to far with Montrice Bolden? 42 min Iheartwestcountymeth 41
WJET 24 5PM News cast! Jill mcCormick.. 58 min SEA COW 7
Mayor Joe is mad 1 hr Intheknow 38
Robert Yates is smarter than you 2 hr Tiger Balm 7
GE Negotiations 3 hr Truth 83
Lisa Zompa Fri Diavulu 28

Erie Jobs