Death of WSEE
What is wrong with Erie

Elyria, OH

#351 Nov 4, 2009
WORST team coverage ever. So bad it was laughable. I thought Scott Bremner was gonna pound the table at one point! LOL. I was embarrassed for them.

How many times did they "throw it over to so and so..." and then sat there while nothing happened? So sad.

But there were commercials every 4 minutes so Lilly made money.

Since: Apr 09

erie pa

#352 Nov 4, 2009
karma wrote:
35's election coverage always stinks. It looks like the bad karma has slithered into WICU.
The anchors are paid a lot of money to work thru the glitches and make the mistakes seem like no big deal on air and they failed.
Scott Bremner sat there like a tool. He did nothing to help that gal with him and she obviously knows nothing about the local elections. At least the guy on 12 and Amanda had some working knowledge. 35 stinks and has for years now. It's time to put the dying flea infesteddog out of it's misery.
i seen that too lat night . wow it sucked .
Bill

United States

#353 Nov 6, 2009
Isn't it clever the way WICU has combined WSEE now by making up a name like "Weekend" for weekend broadcasts with a simulcast (same news broadcast on two channels at once). Tonight (Friday) news goes from 11 pm til 11:12 then all four sports guys from both stations broadcast same time from both stations from 11:12 til 11:32. So one tunes in mainly for the news and gets 12 min news and 20 minutes SPORTS. I guess it would only be fair for someone to hand over another station for wjet. That would be only fair right??
Bill

San Antonio, TX

#354 Nov 29, 2009
Well, it's been almost a month since anyone responded to this (oh that was me). For anyone who cares, Sun night news on ch. 12 after the football game had weatherperson Cheryl Scott saying after two years this was her last night on WICU. She thanked everyone and said she was going for a tv job in KNOXVILLE, TENN.
abc

Aiken, SC

#355 Nov 30, 2009
And the revolving door continues to turn at 3514 State. Home many more good pepole will leave before the place turns into a ghost town? Lilly wants to sell it...watch out Erie, your news might end up coming from Pittsburgh.
K-TV

Erie, PA

#356 Nov 30, 2009
On November 2nd, Lilly Broadcasting posted a job opening for a weekend meteorologist/reporter. Considering this, the news of Cheryl's departure should not be much of a surprise. I wonder who the replacement will be? The listing is below.

Weekend Meteorologist/Reporter

Lilly Broadcasting is looking for a degreed meteorologist for an opening on a dynamic weather team. Experience is preferred. Top candidates must have strong on air and computer skills. They also must have the ability to learn about and forecast for areas outside the local area. Strong communication skills are a must as well as a dynamic personality. To fit in with our weather team top candidates will be able to engage the audience and tell a weather story that holds their attention. This position requires a flexible schedule due to being the first option for fill-in work during the week during both morning and night shifts. Reporting is part of the job when not doing weather. Send DVDs to Chief Meteorologist Rob Wilson at 3514 State St. Erie, PA 16508. No phone calls please.

http://www.wicu12.com/news/index.vnss...
The Factor

Erie, PA

#357 Nov 30, 2009
So Cheryl Scott left Erie, Pa for Knoxville, TN? So what! This happens all the time: young, inexperienced journalists come to Erie to hone their craft and then move on to a bigger market (and more money) after a couple years.

This has happened before and it will happen again. With all due respect to "abc" from Augusta, Ga it does not mean that WICU/WSEE is going to be sold.
Bill

San Antonio, TX

#358 Nov 30, 2009
"The Factor" is correct about inexperienced broadcasters moving on. I did not think Knoxville, Tenn was a great move but I don't know if it is closer to where Cheryl's family, if it was a decent pay raise or if she just needed a change.

Remember wjet's meterologist Brian Neudorf moving to Rochester, NY, a few years ago and silver-haired meterologist from wsee (sorry can't remember his name. both seemed to be nice guys when I met them).

The wsee guy I believe went to West Virginia. Think about all those who have left: wicu's Lisa Guyton to Toledo. Remember wicu-tv's news anchor who wound up at CNN. It's ironic that the broadcasters who put their jobs on the line every day with what they say or "how they come across" probably average two years per station and the engineers pushing the buttons usually last 20-30 years. Unions protect them nicely and if station management comes up with any reason they can get rid of a broadcaster and cause him or her and their families off job hunting anywhere..really unlike most jobs despite the so-called glamour!!
Head Case

Erie, PA

#359 Nov 30, 2009
There's always about a two-year stint for just about all the young, ATTRACTIVE talent. Dogs like Julie Coats and Amanda Post stay in Erie forever because there are no other options. Cheryl is an airhead, but you can be sure that her looks had something to do with a hire in a bigger market like Knoxville in a horrible job market.

Dylan Dreyer lasted two years. Rachel Frank lasted about two. Kelly Curran for two.

It's guaranteed 2010 will be the last you'll see the likes of Amelia Segal, Stephanie Schelkun, Lisa Wiseman, Cassandra Garrison, and Kristin Kane in Erie.

What a pathetic city it is.
Eye Watcher

Erie, PA

#360 Nov 30, 2009
Bill wrote:
"The Factor" is correct about inexperienced broadcasters moving on. I did not think Knoxville, Tenn was a great move but I don't know if it is closer to where Cheryl's family, if it was a decent pay raise or if she just needed a change.
Remember wjet's meterologist Brian Neudorf moving to Rochester, NY, a few years ago and silver-haired meterologist from wsee (sorry can't remember his name. both seemed to be nice guys when I met them).
The wsee guy I believe went to West Virginia. Think about all those who have left: wicu's Lisa Guyton to Toledo. Remember wicu-tv's news anchor who wound up at CNN. It's ironic that the broadcasters who put their jobs on the line every day with what they say or "how they come across" probably average two years per station and the engineers pushing the buttons usually last 20-30 years. Unions protect them nicely and if station management comes up with any reason they can get rid of a broadcaster and cause him or her and their families off job hunting anywhere..really unlike most jobs despite the so-called glamour!!
The "silver haired" WSEE weather caster that "Bill" referred to is Bill Schubert. Bill went to WTOV Steubenville Oh/Wheeling WV. Bill also was one of the original meteorologists on The Weather Channel. "Shubie" as he was called around TV-35 was one hell of a nice guy - easy going and a joy to work with.

One thing, about a month or so ago Press and Tower dot com said that WICU would be having a 60th Anniversary show in December. Well, I called Channel 12 and I couldn't get a specific date or time. Actually I got two different stories: 1) "I didn't know we were doing a special" followed by a few seconds of silence and then..."I guess Lisa Adams is trying to throw together a program off the 40th Anniversary show tape." So I guess something might air in December but with everything going on at TV-12 these days it might not air at all.
Bill

San Antonio, TX

#361 Nov 30, 2009
Hey "Eye watcher" now I remember Bill Schubert. First time I saw him in person, I told the meterologist that "I just shoveled five feet of partly cloudy off my driveway." He roared at that one. I kind of like it.

I told it to another weather person and that person almost seemed to get angry. It's been commented on before the difference between broadcasters on-air and off-air. Although the weatherperson seemed to be grouchy off-air, I enjoy that person's friendly demeanor on camera.

The one viewer called Erie a pathetic city. I wouldn't go that far. I just think it's a natural reaction being in a small city where young broadcasters find a need financial wise, get closer to home, or ego wise to advance. If nothing is here to keep them, why not?

Unfortunately we the viewer are the one to suffer as the process starts over again. The game stays the same. The faces change.
John Cocktoasten

Harmonsburg, PA

#362 Dec 2, 2009
What ever happened to Rob Macko?(The poor man's Tim Miller)
Eye Watcher

Erie, PA

#363 Dec 2, 2009
John Cocktoasten wrote:
What ever happened to Rob Macko?(The poor man's Tim Miller)
Rob took a reporting job with WIVB Channel 4 Buffalo. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts at WIVB/Lin Broadcasting, Rob was furloughed (sp?) a year or so ago. Not sure what he is up to these days.
Butafuocco

Erie, PA

#364 Dec 2, 2009
Anyone catch Scott Bremner's appearance on the 6pm news tonight? Bloated neck out over his shirt collar, hair (or whats left of his hair) all out of place, tie not properly alligned with his shirt buttons. I don't understand how he keeps his job. Never smiles. Terrible chemistry (or lack of) with Jacqueline Policastro. I'm sure things are terrible behind the scenes on State Street these days but to go on camera looking like that shows a complete lack of respect for the viewer - or whoever is left watching WSEE.
Bill

San Antonio, TX

#365 Dec 2, 2009
re. Butafuocco. I don't mean to stick up for Scott Bremner. It appears to me that he is there because he is like a fixture in Erie..been here so long.

Usually we don't have an idea as to what goes on behind the scenes at a TV station especially in a small market like Erie.

Very often the anchor writes the news, has to be alert to dig for stories from what is on the police radio or tips. Sometimes the anchor has to edit his or her own tape. It can be very nerve wracking and sometimes time just runs out to get it all done and get on the set let alone looking proper.

Sometimes a ballgame going to overtime or still being on the air so no highlights can be had can be overwhelming, etc. Sometimes one can be out of breath and it can be not that easy to be "smooth" on the air.

And when the anchor starts to slip..the job could be in jeopardy with no protection and their and their family's future being at the whim of a general manager.
Butafuocco

Erie, PA

#366 Dec 2, 2009
Bill wrote:
re. Butafuocco. I don't mean to stick up for Scott Bremner. It appears to me that he is there because he is like a fixture in Erie..been here so long.
Usually we don't have an idea as to what goes on behind the scenes at a TV station especially in a small market like Erie.
Very often the anchor writes the news, has to be alert to dig for stories from what is on the police radio or tips. Sometimes the anchor has to edit his or her own tape. It can be very nerve wracking and sometimes time just runs out to get it all done and get on the set let alone looking proper.
Sometimes a ballgame going to overtime or still being on the air so no highlights can be had can be overwhelming, etc. Sometimes one can be out of breath and it can be not that easy to be "smooth" on the air.
And when the anchor starts to slip..the job could be in jeopardy with no protection and their and their family's future being at the whim of a general manager.
Point taken.
Mark from La Mancha

Canton, OH

#367 Dec 2, 2009
Eye Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
The "silver haired" WSEE weather caster that "Bill" referred to is Bill Schubert. Bill went to WTOV Steubenville Oh/Wheeling WV. Bill also was one of the original meteorologists on The Weather Channel. "Shubie" as he was called around TV-35 was one hell of a nice guy - easy going and a joy to work with.
One thing, about a month or so ago Press and Tower dot com said that WICU would be having a 60th Anniversary show in December. Well, I called Channel 12 and I couldn't get a specific date or time. Actually I got two different stories: 1) "I didn't know we were doing a special" followed by a few seconds of silence and then..."I guess Lisa Adams is trying to throw together a program off the 40th Anniversary show tape." So I guess something might air in December but with everything going on at TV-12 these days it might not air at all.
Hi Ells, Lol :)
Bill

United States

#368 Dec 3, 2009
Butafuocco: Your comment of "point taken" to my reponse was very "classy." My intent was NOT to be like "gotcha" which seems to be the intent of so many today.

Let's all express our opinion and continue to make this a good site!
Butafuocco

Erie, PA

#369 Dec 3, 2009
Bill wrote:
Butafuocco: Your comment of "point taken" to my reponse was very "classy." My intent was NOT to be like "gotcha" which seems to be the intent of so many today.
Let's all express our opinion and continue to make this a good site!
My pleasure, Bill!
Bob

San Antonio, TX

#370 Dec 9, 2009
I was watching the Weather Channel Wed around 12:15 pm. They announced there was a Tornado watch in northwest Pennsylvania specifically OIL CITY!!! I rushed to find out what two other channels would say. NOTHING!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supertrump 25 min Needles 8
Will G.E announce a plant closing? 38 min Insider 43
GE set to announce closing 43 min Ignorant 296
Tough Guy Tim Feldman 1 hr LOL 12
Derrys Sanders Jr 1 hr white folk 19
LP twnshp cops in harborcreek 1 hr cheetos 23
Bocce' Tourney 1 hr Fred livin on kelso 3
Lawn Jockeys 6 hr east side eddie 8
neighbor accused of destroying video evidence 11 hr Dick Tracy 25
Mike palermo (Jan '14) Tue Keyboard Big Balls 168

Erie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Erie Mortgages