|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

Dick Porterhouse wrote:
Is this guy a trainwreck or what? I don't think I've seen a union rep who is more of a public relations disaster since Joe Walko represented Erie's Fire Union years ago.
Scott, you are simply terrible. I'm sure you've turned many people who were on the fence against the very union you represent. You stink.
He couldn't negotiate his way out of a paper bag because someone would be telling him to be afraid of the light outside the bag. Sure, he's proud of standing his ground but we can see right through that. Anyone who is trying to say their proud of this outcome is trying desperately to get themselves to believe that. I was out last night and trust me - the community knows that we lost due to lack of leadership. There's no coming back from this one. Duke is two for two.
Disgusted

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

UE member wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been there threw many negotiations 38 years and trust me every single one of them corporate was in dire straits. Many have retired millionaires because of the investments that they made in their company (workers). Corporate wants to deny any new employee of that opportunity to invest in themselves and their abilities. Who do you think owns stock in this company? I do, and if I have to risk my retirement for the betterment of my of my neighbors sons like my father did in 1969 then so be it! Times change and we must but when the numbers speak truths over what corporate says I believe the numbers and my dividend check! Scott,NO CONCESSIONS!!!
False bravado. Happens every time. You lost big time and everyone but you knows it. Well, you know it too but you'll never admit it. That's okay - losing never feels good.
Disgusted

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

UE member wrote:
<quoted text>
Still working and its 41.00. Yes I would give it up if they opened the CERO window so that someones son or daughter could provide for their family!! We are not bad people we stand for what is right, we lost alot of benefits in the last contract, can anyone of you afford 3200.00 out of pocket before insurance picks up, plus pay a weekly premium? I know that their are people fighting life threatening diseases that are worse off or live in poverty. Those people rely on the working person and the taxes we pay along with all the charitable donations we make. I know someone will have something to say about that.. But remember I'm the one coaching your child and buying ice cream after the game. No, I don't want a pat on the back I just want whats right!!!
Sure - beat your chest. Everyone knows you lost this one in a huge way and there's no going back. Not a lot of support for you this time because its hard to support such lame misplaced so-called pride. I may even agree to your face, but you know that I know you blew it this time.
Pride

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

UE member wrote:
<quoted text>
Still working and its 41.00. Yes I would give it up if they opened the CERO window so that someones son or daughter could provide for their family!! We are not bad people we stand for what is right, we lost alot of benefits in the last contract, can anyone of you afford 3200.00 out of pocket before insurance picks up, plus pay a weekly premium? I know that their are people fighting life threatening diseases that are worse off or live in poverty. Those people rely on the working person and the taxes we pay along with all the charitable donations we make. I know someone will have something to say about that.. But remember I'm the one coaching your child and buying ice cream after the game. No, I don't want a pat on the back I just want whats right!!!
I realize the only thing you have left is what's left of your pride. I may even agree to your face. But we lost this time, big guy. No getting around that. We all lost.
edge

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize the only thing you have left is what's left of your pride. I may even agree to your face. But we lost this time, big guy. No getting around that. We all lost.
Sad but true.
F U looser

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

UE member wrote:
<quoted text>
WAH WAH WAH I have to pay 4K out of pocket before insurance pick up anything. My Monthly premeiums are $560 for a a family of four. I do not make anything close to what you union whinners make. I hope the close the place up tighter than a nuns c unt. Shut it down and ship it out. Loosers!! Oh and by the way I also coach and buy th eice cream as well.
Whatever

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Everyone has to pay something toward their health insurance these days. Wake up! A good job for a year is better than no job for that year!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

If you don't change with the business times, you lose. Businesses with pack up and move to greener pastures.
Snuggle Bear

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

These anti-union attitudes is why this country is heading towards 3rd world status.

They won't have to outsource jobs anymore, plenty of idiots willing to roll over and take pennies just to have a job.
bob2345

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

Snuggle Bear wrote:
These anti-union attitudes is why this country is heading towards 3rd world status.
They won't have to outsource jobs anymore, plenty of idiots willing to roll over and take pennies just to have a job.
Hate to keep confusing you with the facts, Snuggie - but an average of $30/hr isn't exactly pennies. Now I know why we're in so much trouble.
edge

Sarahsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

dave s wrote:
We the membership asked him to stand his ground! Absolutely no 2 tier ever! It is nothing but cancer for unions!
Well, it's obvious that public sentiment isn't exactly on your side.
truth

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

bob2345 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to keep confusing you with the facts, Snuggie - but an average of $30/hr isn't exactly pennies. Now I know why we're in so much trouble.
$30 an hour is a good living wage and the company still makes out like a bandit. I suppose that you would be happy with the peanuts that the plastic companies pay or Walmart. This country has to finally take a stand against greed or be willing accomplices to the American greed that's taking the country. Scott Duke, you have my admiration.
edge

Sarahsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Judged:

truth wrote:
<quoted text>$30 an hour is a good living wage and the company still makes out like a bandit. I suppose that you would be happy with the peanuts that the plastic companies pay or Walmart. This country has to finally take a stand against greed or be willing accomplices to the American greed that's taking the country. Scott Duke, you have my admiration.
Well, I wouldn't be happy with Walmart pay and neither should you. But that's not what we're talking about here, not bu a mile I will continue to set the record straight as long as I have to. We willingly gave up nearly 1000 jobs at $30 an hour. Period. I won't let thIs forum be overrun with half truths and innuendo about a pay cut. Let the facts stand on their own. We turned down a pay freeze at over $30 an hour. You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time. I'm here to make sure that the real truth gets out and stays out.
edge

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Erie Times News June 27, 2013

Duke said he left the bargaining table Saturday still hopeful that talks might continue.
By Wednesday, Duke said he realized it was over.

----------

Really? REALLY? Left the table at midnight Saturday and thought he was still in the game? Really? It’s over all right. Could have saved 450.

950 jobs lost Saturday. How many more and what years? That’s about $15,000 a week in union dues? Maybe a little less to donate to the dirty politicians who when elected
let the corporate world get away with paying little or no taxes.

The Senate just passed a bill that would allow 11+ million people illegally in the US become citizens and apply for jobs. Can you say “can I help you” in Spanish?

Lockheed Martin employs 14,000 in Fort Worth. No doubt the population of Texas has enough knowledge to figure out locomotive assembly. GE Erie has been open 100 years. Texas has been assembling for 100+ working days.
truth

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Dartanian wrote:
Never fear uniontards. Scott Duke has your back. Bwahahahahahahaha. He's nothing but a white Obama destroying your lives.
He's destroying a whole lot more than that. I don't think the political references help this argument one way or another. The real truth is that the union lost in the biggest way imaginable this week. It's hard to keep pretending confidence when you see that Duke can destroy the town in addition to the 1000 jobs. This negotiation was more about the next thousand jobs than this this thousand, as several have said. But we lost the bigger game of preserving the next thousand through work rule changes and GE investment, just to name two. They will wake up when it's all over and bemoan the loss, but for now it's too big for them to see. The ones who do see it are afraid to speak up. Hard to put a good spin on failure.
skip the pee pee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I mean like a settlement. A solution to a problem. Business conditions change. Business conditions change regardless of labor contracts. You better change with the conditions, if you want to stay in business. If you don't change with the conditions, you lose, as is being illustrated by the current situation at GE.
Unfortunately, it is going to negatively impact a lot of people and businesses who have nothing directly to do with GE. How many fabricators and machine shops in Erie have a double digit amount of their business tied to GE as a part of their supply chain? I know many of the subcontractors we use do. How will they be affected? Will they survive? If they do, what will it do to their overhead costs? Will my costs go up as a result? If they don't survive, where will I get parts from? An out of town supplier?
Many businesses require parts for products, but not enough of them to justify the expense of tooling up to make them in house.(Why would I want to put in a $400,000.00 machine that I could only keep busy producing my parts 25 % of the time, when I can buy the time I need from a subcontractor, provided he can sell the balance of the available time to some other business, like a GE.)
And suppose I was that subcontractor. Would I want to hire one of the displaced GE workers, whose decision just cost me 15% of my business? Of course not.
Greed is greed, period. But I'm not buying that the GE corporate greed is any different than the union greed, when those guys are making twice what comparable workers in this region are being paid.
So you mean a flexibility for the company so that they can have you work 80 hours one week and 4 hours over the next 10 weeks, right? Kinda hard to build a stable family or societal structure with that kind of BS going on. Not that companies have to care about anyone but themselves but you're right, the union members should have zero respect for companies in return.(Don't forget to steal all the tools you can on the way out guys.)

BTW I would think a republican hardliner like you would welcome business failures as a good thing. Survival of the fittest, right? If a business can't succeed it not only deserves to fail but should be welcomed in it's failure. Paves the way for a company to do the same thing only paying workers lower wages and hopefully no benefits, right? Isn't that the glorious example of what we want for America and our families?
skip the pee pee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

truth wrote:
<quoted text>
He's destroying a whole lot more than that. I don't think the political references help this argument one way or another. The real truth is that the union lost in the biggest way imaginable this week. It's hard to keep pretending confidence when you see that Duke can destroy the town in addition to the 1000 jobs. This negotiation was more about the next thousand jobs than this this thousand, as several have said. But we lost the bigger game of preserving the next thousand through work rule changes and GE investment, just to name two. They will wake up when it's all over and bemoan the loss, but for now it's too big for them to see. The ones who do see it are afraid to speak up. Hard to put a good spin on failure.
GE can enforce any work rule covered under the contract now. That they don't proves they're pus*ys, end of storie. If they tell a worker to get off his cell phone and get back to work they don't need the employee's agreement. All they need to do is let the employee know there will be consequences if he doesn't, then follow through.(And he can even show him in a copy of the contract agreement where the boss gets that right.) Negotiation settled.
CRANK

Greensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>
So you mean a flexibility for the company so that they can have you work 80 hours one week and 4 hours over the next 10 weeks, right? Kinda hard to build a stable family or societal structure with that kind of BS going on. Not that companies have to care about anyone but themselves but you're right, the union members should have zero respect for companies in return.(Don't forget to steal all the tools you can on the way out guys.)
BTW I would think a republican hardliner like you would welcome business failures as a good thing. Survival of the fittest, right? If a business can't succeed it not only deserves to fail but should be welcomed in it's failure. Paves the way for a company to do the same thing only paying workers lower wages and hopefully no benefits, right? Isn't that the glorious example of what we want for America and our families?
Accept high pay and flexibility here -- or low pay and flexibility anywhere else. WAKE UP before its too late.
Ringo

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Stop Banning My Name wrote:
<quoted text>
I am starting to sense a lot of jealousy, bitterness, and resentment with these comments towards GE workers. "They should take a paycut and be happy to have a job." Is it perhaps because you went to college and probably only make $10 an hour, while GE workers who maybe don't have degrees make 3x as much? Typical Erie envy.
Not exactly. I work at Erie Insurance for over $60 an hour so I'm not bitter or jealous. The GE workers in Erie are notoriously lazy; in fact, they pride themselves in sandbagging. I regularly hear stories about workers sleeping on the job, encouraging others to work more slowly, and being generally disengaged at work.

It has nothing to do with envy for me. It's common sense that the GE Erie workforce is very ineffeicient and unwilling to compromise.

Some will argue that GE made billions last year so they can afford to overpay it's inefficient workforce, but keep in mind that GE is a public company owned by shareholders, many of whom are workers.
skip the pee pee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
Accept high pay and flexibility here -- or low pay and flexibility anywhere else. WAKE UP before its too late.
You think that's what GE offered, they'll continue our high pay if we're flexible? It was just a ruse if it was even the case. Management can move workers now to areas that need help--or do just about anything else they want--including telling workers to get the hell off their cell phones.

But management doesn't control anything so other than saying something nonsensical then wishing upon a star, they don't know their collective heads from a hole in the ground. Make no mistake there are a lot of good workers at GE (and many resent the slackers and abusers as much as you do) but everyone gives up at some point when your company is run like Bizarro world from Superman lore.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The New Millcreek School District (Jan '14) 10 min Jim Barker 967
What would happen if Erie Topix writers were al... 12 min Fat Saul Da Jew 28
amy bella back at it 16 min Fat Saul Da Jew 4
What Language is Spoken at Erie County Farms? 49 min CounterPoint 10
Officer GoFyourself 1 hr Goat Cheese 2
Holder states 49% of black men are arrested at ... 2 hr Millcreek Dog 6
What or who are the SSIS Agency? 2 hr Marince 8

Search the Erie Forum:
•••
•••