Mike

Erie, PA

#1 Dec 5, 2012
Something is going on at GE right now. We hear another lay off, moving people around etc.

Anyone hear what's going on?
alf neeg

North Fairfield, OH

#2 Dec 5, 2012
.go ne
Tom

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Dec 6, 2012
Big time layoffs, pushing people out & down south to Texas? Soon it will be all gone!!
johns son

Erie, PA

#4 Dec 6, 2012
hope this time the union and company layoff by seniority..too many people? then get rid of the last ones in the door regardless of their codes half of them just got placed in the code anyhow
floopy

Erie, PA

#5 Dec 6, 2012
johns son wrote:
hope this time the union and company layoff by seniority..too many people? then get rid of the last ones in the door regardless of their codes half of them just got placed in the code anyhow
Agree. I had a couple years in and knew a guy with 15 years that was out the door permanently, though I stayed. He had no oxy-acetylene experience which my job required, so he wasn't qualified.

Problem now is if you have 15 years and a guy with 2 years is in a job you have no experience for, that's fair...unless he also had no experience and they trained him instead of you, giving him a leg up in job skill.

This will be interesting. Will the union insist they train guys with more seniority in a lesser guy's job because you had no chance to bid on it?(Waste of money?) Or will the union let guys who have contributed less have their way due to luck?(Why have a union?)
puffs

Struthers, OH

#6 Dec 6, 2012
1500 Out at the first of the year? Is this true?
kaboom

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Dec 6, 2012
lmfao- I sincerely hope noone is dumb enough to believe THAT rumor......
scab

Oil City, PA

#8 Dec 6, 2012
GE is going to leave town all together, Tired of being bullied by your union
David Crosby

Cleveland, OH

#9 Dec 6, 2012
Get GE out of here. We want a good old ghost town. Those Union workers are no good.
kaboom

Jersey City, NJ

#11 Dec 6, 2012
please oh please DO tell how the union is bullying GE?
That's fricking hilarious; union has agreed to nearly everything company has asked for, GE hadn't paid into pension fund in nearly 20 yrs, because it was so well funded but did away with it regardless, hasn't been strike in over 40 years, and whatever hourly people make was a tradeoff of something the company asked for concession of.
Yeah, really been sticking it to them.....
Michael Guzzardo

Erie, PA

#12 Dec 6, 2012
i work at GE in sourcing. On Tuesday, 35 people got layed off. That's all I know but I hear it will ripple through other departments.
Right on man

Ardsley, NY

#13 Dec 6, 2012
The writing has been on the wall when all of the corporate people left. Only a matter of time for other dept. To leave.
kaboom

Orange, NJ

#14 Dec 6, 2012
Due to travel n hosting customers, headquarters in Chicago makes more sense than in Erie, no biggie; if hq needed to be with the business and this plant was closing, wouldn't they have moved tad closer to Texas than Chicago??
GE to Texas, before that it was Boston, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Canada, etc etc.....
How big the Dallas plant is actually and how big people around here THINK it is are totally different things.....
Doctor Evil

Erie, PA

#15 Dec 6, 2012
Good, Erie Blows I can't wait to move.
alf neeg

North Fairfield, OH

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Eries runway isn't long enough...adios ge
johns son

Erie, PA

#17 Dec 7, 2012
kaboom wrote:
lmfao- I sincerely hope noone is dumb enough to believe THAT rumor......
not believing that rumor but sumthing is going on in bldg 6 company wants to eliminate 2nd shift in some areas instead of rotating tlows and keep them out till april
led

Erie, PA

#18 Dec 9, 2012
Bldg 7 small workforce 1st shift only in machine shop everyone else out the door last 2 wks of the year on tlow
Jim Bo

Erie, PA

#19 Dec 9, 2012
Mike M. told me when he was picketing at Wallmart the day after Thanksgiving that Ge is secretly moving everything out at night and by Jan. 1, 2013 the Erie Plant will be all gone.
Mike has not been right on any of his predictions. Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Guy Cuts the Line 6 min tim leary 1
Dalkemper spends $400,000.00 for a skylight at ... 17 min Taxpayer 16
American Values Explained 23 min tim leary 1
UE GE talk all of a sudden going good. 28 min ralph 81
GE UE Talks suddenly going bad. 30 min Juile 13
What happened to Bootleggers?! 2 hr ZUGZWANG 43
Tired of being a PC 2 hr ZUGZWANG 7
erie club 9 hr Lou Tulliootski 80
GE pension buyout 15 hr Closing 63
Tie Welfare to Behavior 16 hr tim leary 93