UE Member

Cleveland, OH

#1055 Dec 9, 2010
Robb McC Bdg5 wrote:
I also must agree with Jason,this sight is the birthplace of soooo many false rumors and crap- its a novel idea to have fellow workers voice opinions and share beliefs on a forum-but this just ends up a finger pointing contest filled with half truths and full lies......dont see where that benefits anyone-it would be entertaining, if peoples ability to feed their families wasnt at stake.....
This site has become a tool of management to "separate and divide" our union. I would love to know how many of those who are laid-off have paid their $3.00 a year union dues and go to the union meetings. I believe it is "better to hear it from the horses mouth, rather than a horses ass". I believe management reads this topic and post rumors to keep us in-fighting. I am a temp and I have been through several lay-offs (at G.E. and other companies) and hope everyone is recalled. However, I have to agree with many other who say you must pay your dues just like the other before you. If you are foolish enough to go on a spending spree and buy a $40,000.00 truck and a house you can't afford, shame on you. G.E. has always been known for laying workers off for as long as G.E. has existed in Erie. As far as hearing news, we do not hear anything at work either. I do not believe the BL's or PTA's know much more than we do either. We are approaching a contract year and are given "doom and gloom" outlook as always in the past. Furthermore. I would not be surprised if the company over hires and recalls everyone and hires off the street to get a contract passed. Many of those who are laid-off will vote "yes" regardless, just to keep a job. I could be wrong, but I do not believe many people have the intestinal fortitude to weather a strike. Most of you have become so in debt that it has become "looking-out for #1" culture.
led

Erie, PA

#1056 Dec 9, 2010
People are starting to come around to see there full time jobs and once there what happens to the temp people? I think its a bunch of shit that the hall is num to whats occuring inside. I sure hope us temp dont get laid off for x-mass if so where is our rights to our senority who the hell is looking out for us we all pay dues just like everyone else.
plow

Erie, PA

#1057 Dec 9, 2010
UE Member wrote:
<quoted text>
This site has become a tool of management to "separate and divide" our union. I would love to know how many of those who are laid-off have paid their $3.00 a year union dues and go to the union meetings. I believe it is "better to hear it from the horses mouth, rather than a horses ass". I believe management reads this topic and post rumors to keep us in-fighting. I am a temp and I have been through several lay-offs (at G.E. and other companies) and hope everyone is recalled. However, I have to agree with many other who say you must pay your dues just like the other before you. If you are foolish enough to go on a spending spree and buy a $40,000.00 truck and a house you can't afford, shame on you. G.E. has always been known for laying workers off for as long as G.E. has existed in Erie. As far as hearing news, we do not hear anything at work either. I do not believe the BL's or PTA's know much more than we do either. We are approaching a contract year and are given "doom and gloom" outlook as always in the past. Furthermore. I would not be surprised if the company over hires and recalls everyone and hires off the street to get a contract passed. Many of those who are laid-off will vote "yes" regardless, just to keep a job. I could be wrong, but I do not believe many people have the intestinal fortitude to weather a strike. Most of you have become so in debt that it has become "looking-out for #1" culture.
i have paid my $3.00 dues. matter a fact i was early. i have attended all but 3 meetings. the 3 i missed was due to family issues that had to be taken care of. when i started the only thing i did was pay all my bills that have added up. i never went out and bought toys. i have had my $65000 home before then my vehical was paid off. also i do have testical fortitude to vote NO. i came from a job where i had to pay out the nose for insurance that never covered shit! ive been there.
just to let you know of this outsiders voice!
plow

Erie, PA

#1058 Dec 9, 2010
also IF i get called back i will exercise my right to work a 40hr work week till everyone is back. ha, even then i may continue to do so because i went to ge to make good money work 8hrs a day 5 days a wk to be with my family!
led

Erie, PA

#1059 Dec 9, 2010
I do believe its time for change in this union , stewarts included. its time to make sure who your voteing for and be sure the right reasons are formost. no more stewarts who think of themselves and family over what is right. most stewarts hide behind the union just to keep there job. cant wait to see how slow things get next year would realy like to see these self serveing ass---- out on the street
waitingwaitingwa iting

North Royalton, OH

#1060 Dec 9, 2010
led wrote:
I do believe its time for change in this union , stewarts included. its time to make sure who your voteing for and be sure the right reasons are formost. no more stewarts who think of themselves and family over what is right. most stewarts hide behind the union just to keep there job. cant wait to see how slow things get next year would realy like to see these self serveing ass---- out on the street
when its time to vote in new stewards,you could vote for them not to have layoff deferment. check your local agreement to see if that is in place, and if its not, change it. I agree that some of the stewards are there strictly to avoid a layoff and dont know much about the actual contract
John Plyler

Erie, PA

#1061 Dec 9, 2010
thanks mike.now i know were we stand.ill be seeing you!
TaxNoMore

United States

#1062 Dec 9, 2010
led wrote:
IF....GE...decides to kick your a-s-s es out, they will!!

YOU AND YOUR UNION

You're a bunch of cry babies....it's a global economy

GE ..will OVER A PERIOD OF TIME wind you down to 0..that's zero

one day you have nothing!!

Get yourself a civil service union job!!!

Cops, Fire, Teacher,Water Dept.Fill Potholes.....get on the dole!!!

Do it for your family...

FIGHT FOR THAT JOB....It's bullet proof..

Look at the Erie budget.....30%...to civil service employees!!!

Get on the dole.....Do it for your family
TaxNoMore

United States

#1063 Dec 9, 2010
John Plyler wrote:
thanks mike.now i know were we stand.ill be seeing you!
You don't stand anywhere......

GE..........will tell you where you stand
Robb McC Bdg5

Erie, PA

#1064 Dec 9, 2010
TaxNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't stand anywhere......
GE..........will tell you where you stand
Seriously,you may give Jeff Dunham a run for his money on ventriloquist act, because you can talk out of your ass and your lips barely move!
Have you ever stepped foot into the Erie GE plant or do you base your crap on what you deem as fact based on what you read and are told? The fact of the matter is that yes GE IS a business,so-gee,if they give their hourly employees a fair,or in your opinion-above fair wage-rest assured,they are still making out,I seriously doubt they do so out of the kindness of their hearts....
There has not been a strike since 1969 at the plant,so dont try comparing a teachers union to ours,its not like there is an imminent threat of strikes every couple of years to shut the plant down! If you talk to any lower management in the Erie plant,the ones on the floor daily,THEY would say how they are awestruck by how retarted the company is run, but as management,if you voice your opinion,they will replace you with a wet behind the ear kid out of college that will dance when asked to,no questions asked....
When you run a huge powerhouse like GE,but people end up sitting on their asses at good wages because they lack parts,lack tooling,or lack the correct instructions-is that REALLY a union shafting the company-REALLY?
Please, add your comment about how the union puppeteers the lowly worker while the union thugs bring in the big bucks,because last i knew,the poor guys on the street were making the same as the local president,and the national president too!
There are plenty of good workers at our plant,and there are plenty of good management at the plant also-and many times both are willing to work together to meet a common goal;this only seems to fail when:the powers that be hamstring common sense,and when you get kids fresh out of college that choose to believe theory over fact!
It amazes me that when GE is given grants for this and that,to make it seem like they stay on cutting edge,people outside buy into it-fact is,GE uses outdated machinery and equipment,and tries to improve production while facing unreal downtimes because of aging equipment;oh and god forbid preventative maintenance or keeping supply near-would be a novel idea!
Go back to Fantasy Island,Taxnomore-tell Tattoo we said hello, and our wish is that you get a fricking clue before speaking-thanks,and have a safe and wonderful day,chief:)
Sincerely,Robb McCarthy; 5yrs+ service; not a union bigwig..........now please,school me in front of my brothers and sisters ;) show me what you know about our plant that I do not,or go hang on a government union forum,buddy
Robb McC Bdg5

Erie, PA

#1065 Dec 10, 2010
As for the rest of the drama,rumors,trash talk,finger-pointing going on-all I have to say is:use your head,going extreme doesnt work,nor does being a suckhole-at the end of the day,can you make eye contact with those around you,and can you look at yourself in the mirror? The only people that should need ungodly amounts of overtime are those who spend like dumbasses, its inevitable that some need to on occasion, but occasion is not 72 hour weeks,every week!!!
Its a select few that do it, but there was,is,and always will be those who do so--dont hate the majority,because of a few.....
Hope after contract GE shows their cards,and when they do-mark my words,we will all be working and busy again for a period of time-if your out, get something under your belt that super cedes seniority,like maintenance,electricity,electr onics,etc....... not many people can pass those tests,whereas machinists,welders,assemblers are a dime a dozen......just saying folks
-Until we are busy again,or until the 1500ish 54yr old employees retire,and their jobs need filled-stay safe people
(lol-and party like rock stars!!woooo)
led

Erie, PA

#1066 Dec 10, 2010
I do believe that TaxNoMore is a bag of wind maybie in calif your companys walk away from your people but I doubt any of that would float here. You have no clue and your responses are that of a bottom feeder. go crawl back into your cubicle and enjoy the poverty your company hands out.
John Q

Dallas, TX

#1067 Dec 10, 2010
So much has been posted here. The petty infighting and name calling. Seems childish and self destructive. The state of the union is terrible from my view. The current leaders and the global pressures on labor has eroded the ground under our feet. It will be a tough road ahead for us all. But our union is just a reflection of it's members. Our members are a reflection of today's society as well. If praying works, we better ask for a little help!
TaxNoMore

United States

#1068 Dec 10, 2010
led wrote:
I do believe that TaxNoMore is a bag of wind maybie in calif your companys walk away from your people but I doubt any of that would float here. You have no clue and your responses are that of a bottom feeder. go crawl back into your cubicle and enjoy the poverty your company hands out.
IF....GE...decides to kick your a-s-s es out, they will!!

YOU AND YOUR UNION

You're a bunch of cry babies....it's a global economy

GE ..will OVER A PERIOD OF TIME wind you down to 0..that's zero

one day you have nothing!!
TaxNoMore

United States

#1070 Dec 10, 2010
Cheaper in China

The 2007 law imposed energy efficiency requirements that cannot be met by traditional incandescent light bulbs.

Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), which are much more expensive than incandescent light bulbs, are the least expensive alternative.

The manufacture of CFLs, however, is labor-intensive and too expensive to be done at U.S. wage rates.

GE could retrofit its Winchester plant to produce CFLs, but GE CFLs would be 50 percent more expensive than bulbs made in China with the benefit of cheap labor.

Realizing it could not compete with such a cost disadvantage, GE is closing down its Winchester factory.

Two hundred workers at the Winchester plant are being put out to pasture during the worst economic conditions since the Great Depression.

Many others preceded them while CFLs gained increasing market share under the looming incandescent light bulb ban.
TaxNoMore

United States

#1071 Dec 10, 2010
What is a train kit?..

Does G.E. sell train kits?

Where did G.E. send 200 "train kits"?
TaxNoMore

United States

#1072 Dec 10, 2010
HEY, LETS WORK THE TAX ANGLES....WITH OBAMA!!!

GE Invests $60M In Manufacturing Plant In Ohio

Manufacturing.Net - October 01, 2010

CLEVELAND (AP)-- GE Lighting has completed a key stage in its expansion of a manufacturing plant in Bucyrus, Ohio.

The company hosted an opening celebration Friday to recognize its more than $60 million investment in the facility, which will manufacture energy-efficient fluorescent light bulbs. Friday's event coincides with the installation of new equipment in the factory.

GE Lighting, headquartered in Cleveland, is a unit of Louisville, Ky.-based GE Appliances & Lighting.

The company said it will add more than 130 jobs at the facility over the next few years as the Bucyrus plant ramps up production to sell these products in global markets.

The first fluorescent light bulbs made from the newly installed equipment will begin to roll off production lines in December.

The State of Ohio is providing $1.2 million to help train new employees, and the federal government has awarded nearly $20 million in income tax credits related to this project to support the job creation.

Shares of parent company General Electric Co. rose 14 cents to $16.39 in afternoon trading.

BY THE WAY, what ever happened to ..

ahhhhhhhhh what was that name..oh Bucyrus,Erie,

Riley Stoker etc.
TaxNoMore

United States

#1073 Dec 10, 2010
GE lobbies Washington to ban the incandescent bulb which is cheap and likely not very profitable.

They then close their last plant in Virginia at a cost of 200 jobs, but will get more than $20 million for adding 130 jobs in Ohio.

So for shedding a net 70 jobs, taxpayers are asked to fork out more than $20 million.
TaxNoMore

United States

#1074 Dec 10, 2010
led wrote:

Do it for your family...

Knuckles O Toole

Erie, PA

#1075 Dec 10, 2010
TaxNoMore wrote:
<quoted text>
Do it for your family...
You say that like it's a bad thing but if not me,who? If not now when? Some people in a sense think live squeezes the pulp out of them then kicks the rind to the curb. If someone is going to fill that job no matter what why not me? Rebuttal?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterrettania Rd Accident 1 hr aislin 6
Sinnott asking the State for 70 MILLION for Eri... 1 hr Erie Dem Committe... 20
you wont believe this 1 hr Erie Dem Committe... 1
John Persinger Erie Mayor?! umm 1 hr lost in pa 23
Hit and Run 1 hr Eastside Patrol 28
Erie community college 2 hr ZUGZWANG 22
Merski Fundraiser 3 hr lost in pa 46
GE Security 4 hr ALLCAPSMAN 36
What is GE Erie doing with the front of Buildin... 5 hr Union Member 105
Bob Merski JR. 11 hr Bard 39