Chandu

Hudson, OH

#22 Jun 11, 2009
Your name is on the nose: you aren't GE. Next time don't show your ignorance with a fake list of benefits.
GE aint me wrote:
Let see some management and white collar guys start taking some pay cuts and increase their hours. I'm tired of the workers always getting the short end of the stick and then media and management make them out to be the bad guys. The contract is the contract. Both sides agreed to it, so let's stick to it.
And for all the haters, go back to you $8/hr job at a sccchitty plastics plant and complain to your buddies about us at GE that were smart enough to go work here versus your sweat shot filled with druggies, drinkers, baby daddys, and other trash. Us, we will enjoy our 6 weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, and 20 hours of personal time a year. Suck on that you loser!
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#23 Jun 11, 2009
Union Pacific as 1900+ locomotives in storage and BNSF has 979. China's government wants to keep their trade surplus by canceling orders for US products. So far only Boeing and Airbus have been mentioned.

Think twice.
The MAAn From Eternity wrote:
<quoted text>
Not very recently but in a couple of weeks or so we're due to get another raise. GE wants us to forgo any raises until the next contract in (I think)2011.
That's what I suspect this meeting is about. If we don't give up our raises, they may put us all on a 32 hour work week.
Not only will that reduce our wages but it will make us inelligible for supplemental pay that helps make up wages when you're laid off.
BTW, Jeff Immelt CEO of GE gave up his bonus in 2008.(it was $3,300,000 the previous year) Between salary, stock awards, deferred earnings etc he still made $14,096,603 in 2008. In other words he made more in one quarter than any of us will make in our lifetime. Poor baby.
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#24 Jun 11, 2009
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
1. And yet, when the local plant has a slow down, you go right after the CEO to blame.
<quoted text>
2. Yeah, Luck had lots to do with becoming the CEO of a Company like GE. Not like when the POTUS just appoints you.
<quoted text>
3. More like 18-20
<quoted text>
4. Closing businesses that lost money and generating new business that did. Start taking a look at GE Capital since he resigned.
<quoted text>
5. Sure he would. He gave each business a chance to:
1. get fixed
2. get sold
3. shut down.
<quoted text>
6. IOW - You have no clue on how to run a major corporation. Them guys was smart & lucky?

RE 1) If a local plant isnít part of the CEOís responsibility what is? Iím sure heíd take the credit for itís success.
RE 2) You sound like a predestination believing kinda guy. Perhaps that is correct. Perhaps Jeff Immelt was destined to that job and no factor in life could have altered his course. Spooky.
RE 3) Wow. Between 20 hours work every day and travel time to and from home, he sounds like quite a guy.
RE 4) If you are correct, GE shouldnít be concerned about us giving our wages back. They just need to hire Jack Welch back and he can simply generate business after business out of thin air.
RE 5) Your list sounds pretty simple. I have a list of one that could make a record quarter for GE also: We could sell all of the blueprints and rights regarding our locomotives to China. Viola! Record quarter, Iím a capitalist hero, gotta move on to a new CEO job now, bye bye.(My point is that your examples are a little lean on specifics.)
RE 6) I donít know what IOW means. You are wrong about my ability to run a major corporation and I can prove it. If you can get me a CEO job when everything is running well, Iíll just say ďcarry onĒ and collect my millions. If it doesnít continue to run well, Iíll fire people and put in those who can run it well. Ta Da!
Final thought: You arenít implying that they were dumb and unlucky are you? ;)
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#25 Jun 11, 2009
Chandu wrote:
Union Pacific as 1900+ locomotives in storage and BNSF has 979. China's government wants to keep their trade surplus by canceling orders for US products. So far only Boeing and Airbus have been mentioned.
Think twice.
<quoted text>
I've read that there's 5000 locomotives sitting idol in the US. Fortunately, we may be in luck. Gas prices seem to be on the rise. The unfortunate truth is that there is a set point where it becomes cheaper to ship by loco than by tractor-trailer once prices rise to that level.
I appreciate your advice, but it's generally a good day for me if I've thought once :)
BTW, what does "Chandu" refer to? Just curious :)
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#26 Jun 11, 2009
You can find IOW and other 'netisms explained by Googling internet acronyms. CEOs have forward-looking responsibilities dealing with strategic deployment of company assets.

Immelt, for example, might have moved more quickly to reduce GE's identification among investors as a 'bank'. He might have sold NBC Universal and GE Appliance when they were worth something.
<quoted text>
RE 1) If a local plant isnít part of the CEOís responsibility what is? Iím sure heíd take the credit for itís success.
RE 2) You sound like a predestination believing kinda guy. Perhaps that is correct. Perhaps Jeff Immelt was destined to that job and no factor in life could have altered his course. Spooky.
RE 3) Wow. Between 20 hours work every day and travel time to and from home, he sounds like quite a guy.
RE 4) If you are correct, GE shouldnít be concerned about us giving our wages back. They just need to hire Jack Welch back and he can simply generate business after business out of thin air.
RE 5) Your list sounds pretty simple. I have a list of one that could make a record quarter for GE also: We could sell all of the blueprints and rights regarding our locomotives to China. Viola! Record quarter, Iím a capitalist hero, gotta move on to a new CEO job now, bye bye.(My point is that your examples are a little lean on specifics.)
RE 6) I donít know what IOW means. You are wrong about my ability to run a major corporation and I can prove it. If you can get me a CEO job when everything is running well, Iíll just say ďcarry onĒ and collect my millions. If it doesnít continue to run well, Iíll fire people and put in those who can run it well. Ta Da!
Final thought: You arenít implying that they were dumb and unlucky are you? ;)
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#27 Jun 11, 2009
Chandu wrote:
You can find IOW and other 'netisms explained by Googling internet acronyms. CEOs have forward-looking responsibilities dealing with strategic deployment of company assets.
Immelt, for example, might have moved more quickly to reduce GE's identification among investors as a 'bank'. He might have sold NBC Universal and GE Appliance when they were worth something.
<quoted text>
Anything forthcoming on what Chandu refers to?:)
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#29 Jun 11, 2009
I can't 'spell it out'. My history is all over the net.
<quoted text>
Anything forthcoming on what Chandu refers to?:)
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#30 Jun 11, 2009
Chandu wrote:
I can't 'spell it out'. My history is all over the net.
<quoted text>
But what if I said pleeeeease????:) In other words, I'm lazy :)Really, please?
Bob Oppenheimer

United States

#33 Feb 2, 2010
ex GE ue506 member wrote:
I just want to thank my union brothers at the Erie plant for working 10to12 hour days 7 days a week at work while im out on the street what happen to unity.i guess it went out the door.i recieved a phone call the other night from one of my union brothers from my area which i used to work ,telling me that lots of my bro-sis in bld 6 are workin mad overtime.and one of the names that was brought to my attention is one of my so called union sisters,which i thought was a friend of mine,is working every bit of overtime in every area she could get it.just a coincodence that i ran into he husband the week prior.and he told me they were getting separated because she got knocked up by her bussiness leader( JIMMY JOHNSON)shame on you sabra kinney.not only for being greedy,but also for comitting adultry.karma has bit you in the azzz.i hope your husband takes you to the cleaners.and i would like to thank all the other scabs too.
and you were one of them and you would do the same thing... how does it feel to be a union democrat with a black lying leader ?
new paraigm

Stow, OH

#34 Feb 2, 2010
I just want to thank my union brothers at the Erie plant for working 10to12 hour days 7 days a week at work while im out on the street what happen to unity.i guess it went out the door.i recieved a phone call the other night from one of my union brothers from my area which i used to work ,telling me that lots of my bro-sis in bld 6 are workin mad overtime.and one of the names that was brought to my attention is one of my so called union sisters,which i thought was a friend of mine,is working every bit of overtime in every area she could get it.just a coincodence that i ran into he husband the week prior.and he told me they were getting separated because she got knocked up by her bussiness leader( JIMMY JOHNSON)shame on you sabra kinney.not only for being greedy,but also for comitting adultry.karma has bit you in the azzz.i hope your husband takes you to the cleaners.and i would like to thank all the other scabs too.
They are capitalists, and they dont care if you and your family die of starvation. This is your country, and this is how it operates. Get yourself a skill someone will pay for or your suffering will continue. Keep voting against your own interests because you cant stand a black man in the white house you hapless tool.
Billy Bob

Edinboro, PA

#35 Feb 2, 2010
<quoted text>
Not very recently but in a couple of weeks or so we're due to get another raise. GE wants us to forgo any raises until the next contract in (I think)2011.
That's what I suspect this meeting is about. If we don't give up our raises, they may put us all on a 32 hour work week.
Not only will that reduce our wages but it will make us inelligible for supplemental pay that helps make up wages when you're laid off.
BTW, Jeff Immelt CEO of GE gave up his bonus in 2008.(it was $3,300,000 the previous year) Between salary, stock awards, deferred earnings etc he still made $14,096,603 in 2008. In other words he made more in one quarter than any of us will make in our lifetime. Poor baby.
You guys have nobody to blame but yourselves keep asking for that raise ....I want I want I want. UNIONS are killing this country. Paying a laborer 20 bucks an hour to operate a shovel in the construction trade! Come on! The guy is stupid probably never graduated high school and your giving him 20 bucks an hour! give him minimum wage that's what your all going to be working for after GE shuts down and moves to Mexico you guys dug your own graves years ago by wanting more money that you don't work hard enough to deserve. I don't feel sorry for you nor do I care if you loose everything your making payments on.
CRANK

Erie, PA

#36 Feb 3, 2010
Perhaps the problem is that EU506 didn't contribute as much to Oh-Bam-Me as Immelt did. Maybe they need to raise their dues so they can give more money this time around. What's the old saying? It takes money to make money?
no name from 506

West Chester, OH

#37 Feb 3, 2010
Billy Bob you must work for Wal-Mart and are to scared to form a strong UNION like ours UE 506 when your Co. Makes over 600 million in the 4th Quarter and lays off good working AMERICANS shame on them we make the profit for GE we deserve to make 20 dollars an hour, and by the way we dont use shovels dumb azz we build trains and for the record we are required to have a high school deploma you must have not gotten hire at GE for the lack of one. I agree with my unemployeed Brother or Sister we shouldnt work over time (SABRA scab KINNEY)and all the others that r shame on you
Billy Bob

Edinboro, PA

#38 Feb 3, 2010
no name from 506 wrote:
Billy Bob you must work for Wal-Mart and are to scared to form a strong UNION like ours UE 506 when your Co. Makes over 600 million in the 4th Quarter and lays off good working AMERICANS shame on them we make the profit for GE we deserve to make 20 dollars an hour, and by the way we dont use shovels dumb azz we build trains and for the record we are required to have a high school deploma you must have not gotten hire at GE for the lack of one. I agree with my unemployeed Brother or Sister we shouldnt work over time (SABRA scab KINNEY)and all the others that r shame on you
You don't build trains your just a puppet who makes parts for the train that the smarter faster workers build. You are the dumb ass your spelling sucks and BTW I don't work for Walmart. OH YA! when you get canned from your 20 an hr. job that you don't deserve you will see just how strong your union really is. ROFL
Professor Pete

West Chester, OH

#39 Feb 3, 2010
Billy Bob my boy....your spelling isn't any better! Learn how to use punctuation and work on that GED!
Dave

Erie, PA

#40 Feb 3, 2010
I lost two skilled machinists to GE a few years ago. I don't blame them for going from the $17/hr they were making here, to the $22/hr they would be making there. What were they doing? De-burring parts. That is a $9/hr job here. I don't blame GE for hiring the best candidates they can find. The problem is they have such a technological advantage that they can miss-manage day to day operations. I ran into one of these guys about 1 1/2 years ago and I asked him how it was going. He of course said things were great, but his boss was asking him to only push through "X" number of units per day. He said that he basically worked 4 hours and watched TV or played cards for the other 4.
I told him that I was glad he was well, but that he should try to salt away as much money as he could because the good times would end some day.
Both these guys are out of work now, talking about coming back in 2011. That is not going to happen in my opinion. They will figure out the waste and inefficiency. The current CEO is a cost-cutter by nature. I'm not saying that there are not fine, hard working people at GE. There are hundreds. They are a product of their micro-culture which rules their work habits. The macro-culture of GE is what makes them so profitable. But they mistake that competitive advantage as being their personal advantage of being highly skilled. It is not and it will cost them their jobs if they do not work as hard and as efficiently as their Hispanic and Asian competitors. Stop fighting your management teammates and fight your true competition. That is my advice.
Bob Oppenheimer

Fredericksburg, VA

#41 Feb 3, 2010
Dave wrote:
I lost two skilled machinists to GE a few years ago. I don't blame them for going from the $17/hr they were making here, to the $22/hr they would be making there. What were they doing? De-burring parts. That is a $9/hr job here. I don't blame GE for hiring the best candidates they can find. The problem is they have such a technological advantage that they can miss-manage day to day operations. I ran into one of these guys about 1 1/2 years ago and I asked him how it was going. He of course said things were great, but his boss was asking him to only push through "X" number of units per day. He said that he basically worked 4 hours and watched TV or played cards for the other 4.
I told him that I was glad he was well, but that he should try to salt away as much money as he could because the good times would end some day.
Both these guys are out of work now, talking about coming back in 2011. That is not going to happen in my opinion. They will figure out the waste and inefficiency. The current CEO is a cost-cutter by nature. I'm not saying that there are not fine, hard working people at GE. There are hundreds. They are a product of their micro-culture which rules their work habits. The macro-culture of GE is what makes them so profitable. But they mistake that competitive advantage as being their personal advantage of being highly skilled. It is not and it will cost them their jobs if they do not work as hard and as efficiently as their Hispanic and Asian competitors. Stop fighting your management teammates and fight your true competition. That is my advice.
Logistics excepted ????
Dave

Erie, PA

#42 Feb 3, 2010
Bob Oppenheimer wrote:
<quoted text>
Logistics excepted ????
Touche'!
All the more reason we can't rely on large corporations to carry us. We have to reinvent ourselves as had almost every city in this country. I have not been convinced that our region does not hold certain advantages as to moving freight efficiently in three directions. I never said the goods would be staying in this region.
Paul

Erie, PA

#43 Feb 3, 2010
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that you seem to equate success with having a lot of money. To a big degree, that IS what America is all about.
Also, you don't know how he came to have his job. Don't discount the luck factor in anything, though I do agree that you have to be out there trying.
Finally, as to his responsibility, exactly what is it? For whatever it is, I'm sure he doesn't work 25 hours a day. To that point, I think to a large degree, Jack Welch was in the right place at the right time. I don't think he'd be making more profitable quarters for GE now either.
In other words, when you have record orders many strategies can make money. When you have no orders, none can. They are just men. Smart men to be sure, but just men. If they were so smart they would have planned for this economical downturn that took even experts by surprise.
You do not need luck if you are prepared. Success does not have to be measured by wealth but why should a High School Grad make more then someone with their masters or Doctrine? A professor makes $35k and someone who stamps GE on a microwave should make more? Ceoís have Platinum parachute even though most people would say they would not be corrupted by money if there are no consequences like some Unions allow for doing your work what makes them so different? They are both robbing the company in the sense of the big picture. Every America rather shower Haiti with money and point the finger, and then roll up their sleeves and face the consequences the US have become the face of litigation. It is obvious that most manufacturers need to figure out a new course to compete with the world market, and stop being rewarded for failure by the government.
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#44 Feb 3, 2010
I still work at GE but not in your building. At the time of the layoff I told my boss that I wouldnít work overtime nor keep my percentage much above 100% of expected production, though I usually more than double that.

Iím not saying you should take this as gospel but itís my understanding. After the layoff my union steward said that the union actually advocates that us left behind work the overtime even though a lot of us lost their jobs.

For one, there more than likely is going to be another layoff but they have to meet customer commitments now. If we donít work the overtime, they will not hire others back but rather, say that our capacity to get the work out has been exceeded and that will justify farming it out.

Another interesting point is that in my building people had 40 hrs. notice ahead of their layoff date. Some who knew they were going out the door were working mad overtime until they left. Itís understandable to make as much as you can before you go, but if your claim is that others should not work overtime on principal, you canít say that if you do it yourself before you leave.

Finally, this but its just shoptalk to be sure. One or two guys from near my area got bumped to building 6 coil winding. They reported back that because they were unfamiliar with the job, experienced people were doing 45 coil wind widgets an hour to their 6 per hour.

As an example, GE will keep 2500 widgets a week at the plant if we can get them out even with overtime. If we can only get 1500 because nobody will pick up the slack, the other 1000 will be farmed out.

This isnít aimed toward you but the time to bitch was in the 90ís when the membership voted for a contract that let GE do farm outs. If they didnít vote that way though, GE might already be gone from Erie.

Trust me; Iíve been in a worse position than you are regarding lack of employment. Just understand that the union has zero bargaining chips now. But if any local union will fight for you its UE506. Most members know from their own bitter experience where youíre coming from. Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lisa Ferrick district justice 7 min eriee 53
Merski Fundraiser 9 min Merski does not c... 65
Megan Akerly (Oct '15) 21 min ineri 45
Jefferson Society Debate rigged for Breneman 35 min Ziggy 11
PSEA endorses Breneman 43 min Ziggy 11
Whaley Embarrassing at Prep Debate 53 min Ziggy 20
Sunday Bocce' 1 hr wfasdflkxow 5
Bars with the easy girls? 2 hr Occasional Observer 16
Stewards at GE, regarding their deferment. Tim... 5 hr City boy 40
Sterrettania Rd Accident 17 hr Really 23