GE union workers complaining again.

Posted in the Erie Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 13

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Apr 2, 2014
The boses at GE give employees a calender to fill out when they want to take vacation so company can plan schedule and know when employees won't be at work and the union workers are complaining. If you owned a company you would want to know when your employees were taking vacation.What a bunch of babies..No wonder why there moving to Texas.
ue506worker

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Apr 2, 2014
geguy60 wrote:
The boses at GE give employees a calender to fill out when they want to take vacation so company can plan schedule and know when employees won't be at work and the union workers are complaining. If you owned a company you would want to know when your employees were taking vacation.What a bunch of babies..No wonder why there moving to Texas.
Mind your own business geguy60, its our vacation to bad if the company thinks they can tell us what to do.its our company to.
Buddy Hinton

Erie, PA

#3 Apr 2, 2014
ue506worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Mind your own business geguy60, its our vacation to bad if the company thinks they can tell us what to do.its our company to.
AWWWW, look at the uniontard trying to be all hard and stuff.
tom

Wichita, KS

#4 Apr 2, 2014
you cant be a tough union when you're easily replaceable.
co worker

Erie, PA

#5 Apr 2, 2014
It's our vacation and we will cry if we want to. Cry if we want to. Apparently you don't know all what's involved so your on here trying to get info. Don't hate.
geca

Erie, PA

#8 Apr 3, 2014
People that don't work there should not comment and people that work there should not run there yaps about what goes on inside the gates of GE do the police, firefighters, or teachers union publicly run there mouths about what goes on in there work place. We are our own worst enemies

Erie, PA

#9 Apr 3, 2014
geca wrote:
People that don't work there should not comment and people that work there should not run there yaps about what goes on inside the gates of GE do the police, firefighters, or teachers union publicly run there mouths about what goes on in there work place. We are our own worst enemies
geca people need to know some of the reasons G.E. is moving work to Texas.All the company wanted was an idea of when there employees where going to take vacation so they could plan on having people to fill in for workers not going to be there and what does the union do complain about it.What would you do if you owned a company?
Jack Welsch

Erie, PA

#10 Apr 3, 2014
GE Union has already destroyed any possibility of work in Erie. Management will pull the plug as soon as it can without disrupting production entirely. So the workers have only to thank each other for their unemployment.
geca

Erie, PA

#11 Apr 3, 2014
geguy60 wrote:
<quoted text>geca people need to know some of the reasons G.E. is moving work to Texas.All the company wanted was an idea of when there employees where going to take vacation so they could plan on having people to fill in for workers not going to be there and what does the union do complain about it.What would you do if you owned a company?
They have every rite to do that I won't argue that point but with over 35 yrs there it is the younger service employees that are reaping the benefits that we argued and fought for and I believe they just expect it. I remember all the editorials about union workers from ge how greedy we were but when they opened the employment opportunities there people flooded the place Huh
Chickens Home To Roost

Erie, PA

#12 Apr 3, 2014
geca wrote:
G.E. union workers truly have been their own worst enemies.
I've lived in Erie all my life and have counted as friends and casual acquaintances a number of G.E people over this time. I could not possibly count up all the times these folks have bragged endlessly about the ways they conspire with their union brothers to do as little as possible and to make their shift a time for getting away with as much as they can under the assistance of each other and union protection. Of course they eagerly open up with all this after a couple of beers which is perhaps the most common form of off property activity these guys engage in.
One on hand they always bitch about management did this to us and management didn't do that. Those complaints are endless and told in a manner as if everyone else in the room agrees 100 %. What never occurs to them is how many others listen and privately form opinions about their intentional sloughing work habits. These G.E. guys never seem to talk about being productive and putting in an honest day's work, instead it's almost always about their shenanigans and a "they can't do anything about it" attitude. The tales about their union protecting such behavior and those beers are a deadly combination in the court of public opinion. Do they think top management hasn't heard what they've boasted about all these years ? Apparently not !
So management becomes the villain in their minds. I contend management not only has the right but the duty to do something about this decades old entitlement of getting away with as much as possible. They are not in business to pay higher wages to a work force so conditioned to brag about their union protecting them as they deliberately slow down the company. The likely scenario of reducing Erie's G.E. plant to a skeleton force is viewed by many as exactly what should happen to those who grew too cocky that they could get away with practically anything.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#13 Apr 3, 2014
Chickens Home To Roost wrote:
<quoted text>
G.E. union workers truly have been their own worst enemies.
I've lived in Erie all my life and have counted as friends and casual acquaintances a number of G.E people over this time. I could not possibly count up all the times these folks have bragged endlessly about the ways they conspire with their union brothers to do as little as possible and to make their shift a time for getting away with as much as they can under the assistance of each other and union protection. Of course they eagerly open up with all this after a couple of beers which is perhaps the most common form of off property activity these guys engage in.
One on hand they always bitch about management did this to us and management didn't do that. Those complaints are endless and told in a manner as if everyone else in the room agrees 100 %. What never occurs to them is how many others listen and privately form opinions about their intentional sloughing work habits. These G.E. guys never seem to talk about being productive and putting in an honest day's work, instead it's almost always about their shenanigans and a "they can't do anything about it" attitude. The tales about their union protecting such behavior and those beers are a deadly combination in the court of public opinion. Do they think top management hasn't heard what they've boasted about all these years ? Apparently not !
So management becomes the villain in their minds. I contend management not only has the right but the duty to do something about this decades old entitlement of getting away with as much as possible. They are not in business to pay higher wages to a work force so conditioned to brag about their union protecting them as they deliberately slow down the company. The likely scenario of reducing Erie's G.E. plant to a skeleton force is viewed by many as exactly what should happen to those who grew too cocky that they could get away with practically anything.
What you described is the nature of people sometimes. Not only GE Erie people all the time and never anybody else anywhere else including in Texas. But where that is going on at GE sounds like both bad management and bad negotiating skills through the years from the company side.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#14 Apr 3, 2014
For one would people think it reasonable if a company wanted your vacation scheduled 3 or 5 years in advance, knowing you'd be held to it or punished?

Secondly, younger guys have little vacation. Perhaps they don't want to commit because they are smart enough to know that sometimes people in your family get sick and you would be irresponsible if you blew all your vacation without allowing for that possibility.

FYI they've done this crap for years when it gets slow. They think their image as managers is enhanced by it--and it may be--but not when what they're pushing you around about makes no sense.

Not a problem on topix though. Some here would side with management even if they were eating babies. They think siding with management is a put down to the union. But they're not smart enough to realize that people can discern stupidity from a good point no matter who's side it's on.

“Wise up, don't be a pinhead!”

Since: Apr 10

Erie, PA

#15 Apr 3, 2014
skip has made a good point here. Working at GE and at other shops I can't begin to count how many times I have rolled my eyes listening to guys talk about what a great welder, machinist, fabricator they think they are. How they were so instrumental in the success of whatever company it was that they worked previously.(and almost always seemed to have made as good or more money then, and only left for better health care). This is not only GE workers who do this. Guys in bars for whatever reason must think this kind of talk is impressive, it makes them feel better about themselves. All unions preach, "never sign anything", not just 506. The whole vacation deal is getting blown out of proportion, when it basically is just the same "i'm not signing that document that in my mind obligates me to something" union mentality.

Allison Park, PA

#16 Apr 3, 2014
Did I forget to mention a employee pushed a boss and the union people walked out when they know fighting is prohibited and why would a union fight for a guy that pushed a boss?
ue506worker

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Apr 3, 2014
Geguy60 you don't know the full story about the employee pushing the boss, the boss provoked this employee and the employee told the boss he wasnt permitted on the locomotive.get your facts straight.
ge retired

North East, PA

#18 Apr 3, 2014
I just love this stupid debate, like the worker that drags himself into that noisy, smelly, dangeous rat hole is less worthy of the profits than some old rich bag or exectutive that holds stock and does absolutlely zero, or maybe you think that the 6 figure management in their wallstreet high rise that shuffles paper is six times more deserving? Look the company is making good money and the workers money stays in Erie, America is being deliberately collapsed economically, union or no union thats the real issue and those forces behind it just laugh at this petty infighting
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#19 Apr 3, 2014
ge retired wrote:
I just love this stupid debate, like the worker that drags himself into that noisy, smelly, dangeous rat hole is less worthy of the profits than some old rich bag or exectutive that holds stock and does absolutlely zero, or maybe you think that the 6 figure management in their wallstreet high rise that shuffles paper is six times more deserving? Look the company is making good money and the workers money stays in Erie, America is being deliberately collapsed economically, union or no union thats the real issue and those forces behind it just laugh at this petty infighting
Could not agree more. Excellent post.
Buddy Hinton

Erie, PA

#20 Apr 3, 2014
ge retired wrote:
BOO HOO, somebody makes more money than you. You should hook up with Timbo Leary you guys could occutard together.

Perhaps if you hadn't settled for your GED and applied yourself you could be making money just like the rich people you so obviously envy.
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#21 Apr 3, 2014
Buddy Hinton wrote:
<quoted text>
BOO HOO, somebody makes more money than you. You should hook up with Timbo Leary you guys could occutard together.
Perhaps if you hadn't settled for your GED and applied yourself you could be making money just like the rich people you so obviously envy.
For one you are failing to make a distinction and painting with the proverbial broad brush. Just because Tim is liberal and others are liberal it doesn't mean they are liberals with the same perspectives or views. Again for review, this is like knowing of a GE worker being bad and saying "GE workers...". You get the drill.

Also I've been there long enough to see a lot of things from management. If they said tomorrow they'd give me a 300k per year contract until retirement and what I had to do was the lying and deception I've seen management do, I wouldn't take the job. Not because I'm of the "we stick together" stripe but rather because I'm unwilling to lie or be deceptive like that.

If it's just a matter of making money no matter what, why don't you pimp out your children and wife for a few extra bucks?(See what I did there?)
skip the pee pee

Erie, PA

#22 Apr 3, 2014
BTW for the record, make no mistake. There are some excellent management people there too. At least they have been to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how many cops are really working at any given t... 31 min Dep Dawg 6
News Erie teen, friend OK after sailboat capsizes in... 36 min SS Skipper 1
The City of Erie Police 5 hr Reality 64
Drilla Ace Facebook profile, take a look! 6 hr Doug Wilson 8
Blind and now I see 6 hr Rub tub 1
Sinnott Snaps at WJET Reporter 8 hr Cold one 21
what constitutes deletion 9 hr tired of being PC 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Erie Mortgages