Erie bishop says Catholic schools doing well

Mar 11, 2014 Full story: Erie Times News 25

Teacher Kathy Smicker sat in a rocking chair, her "juniors" and "seniors" on the floor in front of her as she read "The Slippery Map," a book about a boy named Oyster being raised in a nunnery by women like Sister Mary Many Pockets.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality Check

Erie, PA

#21 Mar 12, 2014
furbutt wrote:
If a church authority says do x or you're out, that's fair. As the story goes we all have free will. But what isn't fair in any sense IMO is to listen to ignoramouses who don't even know their own religion, let alone the facts of other religions or irreligion, tell me that I must do as they say or some God will deny me salvation.
In the situation of being excluded from a church you know what your choices are and as it's in the physical world so you can understand what it means. But when ignorant people are supposedly relaying the message of God you never know what choice if any you are debating.
Many religionists don't know what they're even talking about, not to mention that what they claim is indistinguishable from imagination.
No disrespect intended. I'm just pointing out that when church members point to the evil of nonbelief or homosexuality they have no idea what that experience entails. And make no mistake those are specific experiences not just something people do to disrespect some type of God that exists only in the believers imagination, not the deciders.
Curious if you understand all that or have any comment. You seem fair minded in that you seem to simply be trying to explain from your view of the church's position. I can respect that.
I was raised a catholic and still am a catholic but if any church leader really knew my true beliefs they would distance themselves from me I'm sure. So here are my beliefs....
We have no free will. If I am to believe that God the Almighty knows and has always known all things about everything then whatever I do or whatever anyone does has always been known before the earth had even cooled. If I am told that God does not already know all things than have I elevated God to be greater than He actually is ? Can it be possible that I, a mere mortal character have given more credit to God than deserved ?!
Everyone will say "of course not" ! So the conclusion is He indeed does know, and has always known all things about everything. So then people ask, "Well if you believe you have no free will then why don't you just go out and rob banks, party all night, etc." ? Here's my belief on that...... I view God as the Master Author of a grand novel. Much like the characters in a human written novel following the paths assigned to them by that author, I believe we as humans follow our designed roles in God's grand novel. We don't have the choices we like to think we do.
I'll put it another way..... Can we fool God ? I mean can it be possible that God thinks we're going left but no, we fake Him out and instead go right ? If I can surprise God, if I can fake Him out then is He really as great as we've made Him to be. Can a mere human on earth actually build God up to something greater than He really is ? Because if we can, then He isn't the God I thought He was, especially if I can fool Him.
Of course I don't believe that I can pull a fast one on the Almighty. That's why I subscribe to the belief that we are destined to follow the role God has set for us, much like any protagonist and antagonist in a worldly authors written story.
So that leads to my conclusion that everyone goes to heaven. Yes everyone, because God would not punish His creation for following their assigned roles, good or bad, that He Himself doled out. " But why would God allow such evil in this world" ? That I believe is one of the great mysteries that our human minds are not privy to at this time. Just as there are the good and bad characters in a human novel so too does God have His characters and their purpose for His greatest novel. That answer I believe is revealed to us when we reach the pearly gates.
Blasphemy ?? Just a human word. God has always known what I would write here. Otherwise He wouldn't be God. That's how high up I hold His Majesty.
furbutt

Erie, PA

#22 Mar 12, 2014
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
I was raised a catholic and still am a catholic but if any church leader really knew my true beliefs they would distance themselves from me I'm sure. So here are my beliefs....
We have no free will. If I am to believe that God the Almighty knows and has always known all things about everything then whatever I do or whatever anyone does has always been known before the earth had even cooled. If I am told that God does not already know all things than have I elevated God to be greater than He actually is ? Can it be possible that I, a mere mortal character have given more credit to God than deserved ?!
Everyone will say "of course not" ! So the conclusion is He indeed does know, and has always known all things about everything. So then people ask, "Well if you believe you have no free will then why don't you just go out and rob banks, party all night, etc." ? Here's my belief on that...... I view God as the Master Author of a grand novel. Much like the characters in a human written novel following the paths assigned to them by that author, I believe we as humans follow our designed roles in God's grand novel. We don't have the choices we like to think we do.
I'll put it another way..... Can we fool God ? I mean can it be possible that God thinks we're going left but no, we fake Him out and instead go right ? If I can surprise God, if I can fake Him out then is He really as great as we've made Him to be. Can a mere human on earth actually build God up to something greater than He really is ? Because if we can, then He isn't the God I thought He was, especially if I can fool Him.
Of course I don't believe that I can pull a fast one on the Almighty. That's why I subscribe to the belief that we are destined to follow the role God has set for us, much like any protagonist and antagonist in a worldly authors written story.
So that leads to my conclusion that everyone goes to heaven. Yes everyone, because God would not punish His creation for following their assigned roles, good or bad, that He Himself doled out. " But why would God allow such evil in this world" ? That I believe is one of the great mysteries that our human minds are not privy to at this time. Just as there are the good and bad characters in a human novel so too does God have His characters and their purpose for His greatest novel. That answer I believe is revealed to us when we reach the pearly gates.
Blasphemy ?? Just a human word. God has always known what I would write here. Otherwise He wouldn't be God. That's how high up I hold His Majesty.
Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts. More in another post.
furbutt

Erie, PA

#23 Mar 12, 2014
Here's my honest thoughts. I'm an atheist so I don't care but IMO a lot of what you've said is contrary to the Bible. And if you don't believe in the Bible you have no basis to believe in the Catholic Church, the Bible being the basis for it.

In a post Tim Leary said he has loyalty to this Pope. Which is fine. But if you think the Pope is doing something contrary to the Bible your first loyalty should be to the Bible because that is the source of the Pope's authority.(for some)

Here's the biggie for me and perhaps it's not too far from what you think though the result is completely opposite. If the Bible is God's word it must be correct. If it's not correct it may be that God knew, therefore designed it so we wouldn't understand it (your view perhaps) OR it's simply not the of God so we default to an "I don't know" position which is atheism.

Again, I have no skin in the game and certainly I admire your honesty (a big thing with me) so I have no reason to speak poorly of you. But IMO from my understanding of the Bible you'd be judged worse than an atheist. Atheists (If I can generalize) see no reliable authority to speak for a God, notably as none has ever been shown to exist.

But people who believe in the God of the Bible, yet don't follow the Bible IMO deserve harsher treatment from other believers than at worst, merely confused atheists.

And to bring this back to the topic at hand, I have relatives who claim the mantle of being Catholic, one who is a total disconnect and another who, while she is pretty iffy, plays the role so her daughter could be in a Catholic school.

If a strident Catholic, I would find all three of your positions to be poses for the benefit of yourselves rather than subservient loyalty to the brand which IMO is the main desire of Christian and some other faiths.
douche

Erie, PA

#24 Mar 21, 2014
How many mercyhurst prep kids are from foreign countries propping up the place with out of country tuitions? And what about the kid that offed himself from there after being bullied?
Alfred E Neuman

Erie, PA

#25 Mar 21, 2014
This goes out to T-bone: your dude has grapefruits for nuts, ya gotta give that to him:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/03/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clowns at the Sunflower club 58 min Bean pole 29
Denny Braendel (Aug '13) 1 hr FartMonger 19
Milton Twins coming to town 1 hr FartMonger 1
Millcreek School District 1 hr Taxpayer 23
Cuba 2 hr Ayrm 15
Jerry Sandusky Jokes (Jun '12) 2 hr AreUSerious 136
Sons of Obama and Sharpton 4 hr submit comment 5
Erie Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web