Posted in the Erie Forum

peter easton

AOL

#1 Jun 6, 2007
anyone remember camp white swan from early 1960's
cpb

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Jun 8, 2007
Yes, I went there for a couple summers back in the early sixties. I think the sessions were two weeks long and cost my parents thirty-five dollars. We used to get picked up by a yellow bus at the corner of Lincoln and Eighth St. in front of Sanida's. It was great fun, and in fact I wish I were there right now. It was run by some guy named Cramer and he seemed to really enjoy his job. We did the usual summer camp stuff like making lanyards and swimming and shooting bb rifles, and archery. We used to bring our own lunches and Cramer sold us some sort of punch drink sort of like Kool-ade (maybe that's what it really was), that he called "bug juice". Anyway, I still visit Erie for summer vacation and tried to find the place but it is no longer in business. I have many happy memories of Camp White Swan.
BorregoDave

La Mesa, CA

#4 Oct 26, 2007
Thanks to "cpb" for that post. I was just using Google Earth to see if anything was left.

In addition to his activities, I remember gathering berries, skipping stones at the creek, climbing saplings that would bend and lower you to the ground (if you picked the right species.)

I don't remember the pickup spot - but I grew up near 6th and Vermont.

Cramer had finky International Travelalls - long before we had SUVs.
Joe

Tampa, FL

#5 Mar 20, 2009
Long after ortiginal posts I know - I was a camper and leader at White Swan (my camper # was like 67 or something) and kept in touch with Cramer up to his death. It was a great time and a beautiful site. Not much left but homes now. Cramer was a great person who is no doubt enjoying his rest now!
whatmatters

Harborcreek, PA

#6 Mar 27, 2009
Joe wrote:
Long after ortiginal posts I know - I was a camper and leader at White Swan (my camper # was like 67 or something) and kept in touch with Cramer up to his death. It was a great time and a beautiful site. Not much left but homes now. Cramer was a great person who is no doubt enjoying his rest now!
I have good memories as well, and still have a couple bug juice tokens!
Onondaga

Freeport, PA

#7 May 25, 2010
"Mooorning Assembly! Everybody to the shelter!"

I Scored the only knockout of my boxing career in 1969.

Some guy named Dwight Pace was my nemesis. He had his name on the wall for more championships than anyone. I almost beat him in knock hockey.
M P EASTON

AOL

#8 Sep 29, 2010
I grew up on Shenley between 6th & 8th. Dave Borrego- I remember you from Harding. I have good memories of playing Ring-o Livio , frog hunts and hikes. All the kids in the neighborhood seemed to go there. what great memories
Noneya

Aiken, SC

#9 Sep 29, 2010
You won't find anything left of the camp. It was taken over by developers and everything around it is now a housing subdivision off of West Lake Rd. and Manchester Rd. in Fairview.
Don Onnen

Moses Lake, WA

#10 Aug 16, 2013
Noneya wrote:
You won't find anything left of the camp. It was taken over by developers and everything around it is now a housing subdivision off of West Lake Rd. and Manchester Rd. in Fairview.
I am really late to these comments. I went to this camp in 1953 or 1954, at the age of 8. We got on the bus in the morning at the "Y" I believe, or not far from it, and were transported to the camp. I have been thinking about this wonderful camp for many years. I couldn't remember the camp's name. I do remember Cramer (couldn't remember his name either until I saw it in these blogs). He was a wonderful person who taught us a lot. He showed us a mathematical trick, which amazed us all. The camp had an indian tribal theme, and we were divided up into these tribes I think. We also played kick the can, hot box, and some form of capture the flag. I remember going up the hill/ridge on the right to avoid capture. We moved to CT when I was age 10, so I lost contact with this camp. I will be in the area in early September, and will visit this camp's location in Fairfield, and of course will be so sad that this beautiful camp is now asphalt and housing.
trevor

Medina, OH

#11 Aug 17, 2013
White swan...fairview bigots.I dont hold a candle to head start..
dab

Redondo Beach, CA

#13 Aug 30, 2014
I was there in the mid 60s. I took the bus from the Glenwood Y, and it would make stops along the way to pick up more kids. I remember Cramer, bug juice, chess matches in the open air building, and the archery range. The rifle range was always more popular, so I went to the archery range to get more turns. Also, at the end of each day, I remember racing up that hill trying to be the first to get on the bus. But there was one camp counselor who would come cruising up from behind and always catch us youngsters just before we reached the bus. Fun times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lou, What a Guy - Died 34 min eastside eddie 3
PennDot says speed bumps back at PI 38 min taxpayer 8
Ron Wilga and the Millcreek School Board (Jan '14) 41 min Uncle Ted 392
Another Roundabout 44 min Jane E 17
Two of my bros be murdered 4 hr Mark 5
Millcreek Football League? 6 hr Brad Orlando 2
Making Bank driving for UberX in Erie 6 hr Double up 4
More from around the web

Erie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE