Governor should sign Lydia's Law

Governor should sign Lydia's Law

There are 10 comments on the The Daily Gazette story from Aug 25, 2007, titled Governor should sign Lydia's Law. In it, The Daily Gazette reports that:

“The governor should not hesitate signing this bill into law. This is an important step in making sure that dangerous dogs are not roaming our streets and putting lives at risk”

Had she lived, Lydia Chaplin would have walked through the doors Monday morning at Erie High School to begin her senior year. via The Daily Gazette

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Gazette.

sandra chaplin

Buffalo, MO

#1 Feb 5, 2008
my granddaughter would have been alright if it was'st for thoughs dogs. i think if it was'nt for thoughs dogs she would still be with us.i hope he signs the bill so other people had to get there pitbulls locked up. or suffer the crime for what thoghs dogs do. they should have to pay for what they do. i miss my granddaughter very much.
sandy chaplin

Columbia, MO

#2 Apr 22, 2008
lydia is my cousin and i miss her so much and no will forget her at all. she was my best fiend we were like sister. no one couldn't get in between us not even our boyfiends. we were together all the time when me and mom went up to my aunt becky's house. i cn't believe she gone i think about all the time. thank you for making that law thank you so much.

Since: Aug 07

CC, TX

#3 Apr 22, 2008
I think that is a horrible tragedy and offer you two my deepest condolences. However, statistically this type of thing is very rare and I think it is an extreme waste of taxpayer money and public attention to enact any legislation regarding this type of situation. The owners of the dogs should be severely punished and if they are strays, why is this any different than a person dying from a bear attack? It seems like a pretty shallow move of the politicians, exploiting a communities emotions and ignoring common sense. Demagoguing is not a good policy or good for America.

However, since the money has already been wasted, and the legislation already written, I think the governor should go ahead an approve it.
Haley

Platteville, WI

#4 Dec 12, 2008
I know this is old but PL texas. You have no idea what you are talking about. My best friend in the world was robbed from me that frigid day in January and although nothing will ever bring her back, justice is not served. I hope they keep putting legislation through so NO ONE will ever forget about her and the horrible crime committed against her. Lydia was the most amazing person I have ever known and I think of her everyday of my life.
This article caught my eye because until I arrived at college. I still expected her to be at school everyday and after walking past the painting in the hallway in her honor, I would be snapped back to reality. Lydia is always in my heart and always will be.
You don't know pain until you have to bury your best friend... at 14 years old.

CC, TX

#5 Jan 6, 2009
I did bury a best friend at 14, and I do know what it feels like. I'm really sorry for your loss. However, I don't agree with the legislation, it's not going to help anyone remember her, your not going to forget about her are you? I believe it was horrible what happened to her, but I don't think it was a horrible crime, I think it was a horrible accident. I also think the current pet and dog laws are more than sufficient to handle this case and I don't thing spending millions of dollars for this new law is prudent. Again I'm sorry about what happened to your friend, losing loved ones is not easy.
sandy chaplin

United States

#6 Mar 6, 2009
well none of u guys know what its like she wasn't in ur family she was the best friend u could of ever have and we think about her all the time . lydia was my cuz and u guys didn't have to put her in the ground. my family had to so just stop talking about how u know the pain beause u don't.

CC, TX

#7 Mar 23, 2009
sandy chaplin wrote:
well none of u guys know what its like she wasn't in ur family she was the best friend u could of ever have and we think about her all the time . lydia was my cuz and u guys didn't have to put her in the ground. my family had to so just stop talking about how u know the pain beause u don't.
Excuse me, what do you think we are talking about?
sandra chaplin

Ozark, MO

#8 Apr 14, 2009
well today is lydias birthday. she would have been 19 years old. and we miss her very mush. what makes me mad is the owner of the dogs did not get anything .they didnt even give him a fine. sure they put the dogs down dut he should have got a fine or something.well it is still hard around holidays. we miss her very mush and love her so happy birthday we love you.
Jonni Lopez

Aledo, IL

#9 May 21, 2009
im her sister. They should have done more to Art. do you know how hard it is to pass his house with him outside wavin and smilin?..Then people talkin shit?.. drives me crazy!! I think he should sign the bill. Hello how youd you like it if you are a family member was attacked by dogs and killed!? its hard without Lydia here. I think of that day like it was yesterday. I cant stand it. Its soo hard puts me to tears everytime. i sit and think wat Lydia it would be like if she was here. he should of got rid of those dog when they attacked him a few weeks be4 they got her. but no he didnt! Well.. she was the best sister ever i love her so much its hard with out her but we manage to make it. So pass the law make life easier.

CC, TX

#10 May 22, 2009
Jonni Lopez wrote:
im her sister. They should have done more to Art. do you know how hard it is to pass his house with him outside wavin and smilin?..Then people talkin shit?.. drives me crazy!! I think he should sign the bill. Hello how youd you like it if you are a family member was attacked by dogs and killed!? its hard without Lydia here. I think of that day like it was yesterday. I cant stand it. Its soo hard puts me to tears everytime. i sit and think wat Lydia it would be like if she was here. he should of got rid of those dog when they attacked him a few weeks be4 they got her. but no he didnt! Well.. she was the best sister ever i love her so much its hard with out her but we manage to make it. So pass the law make life easier.
Instead of trying to pass this law, why don't you start a scholarship in you sister's name? I think that would a much more appropriate use of your energy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hare Scramble race Mar '16 Chris Damstrom 1
Why is Geneseo football sucking (Oct '10) Jan '16 The last AA 22
News High school football: Wetzell does it all for E... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Farting 2
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in Illinois (Whi... (Oct '10) Feb '15 Phil Shamon 49
The Cellar (Nov '13) Dec '14 MIXED 1 3
Looking for Work (Aug '14) Dec '14 oldcars 2
Geneseo (Oct '14) Oct '14 rjd 2

Erie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Erie Mortgages