Ericson Power Plant
David Budka

Omaha, NE

#1 Mar 8, 2007
I would like to know the layout of the hydroelectric plant that used to exist at Lake Ericson. I believe a penstock or flume extended from the dam to the small brick powerhouse alongside the spillway.

What I don't know is if the engineer's used a vertical or horizontal turbine-generator. I think a horizontal turbine may have been used, enclosed in a steel flume. The shaft would have then passed through the brick wall of the powerhouse to the generator. The concrete tailrace would have carried the water exiting the turbine under the powerhouse. Usually a vertical "open flume" type turbine would have required a tall concrete flume, and from the pictures I have seen this doesn't appear to be the case. However, the brick powerhouse was rather tall with tall, narrow windows.

Any information about the power plant at Lake Ericson would be most informative and appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ericson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hoot (Mar '16) Mar '16 frauschmid 1
Houses to Rent? (Mar '16) Mar '16 Braden 1
Michael Scott anyone know him??? (Feb '16) Feb '16 looking 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Apr '15 neutral 103
Part-Time jobs (Feb '15) Feb '15 maciotum 1

Ericson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ericson Mortgages