Tourists Go Home (or Not)
Love Tennessee

United States

#182 Feb 27, 2010
1oldman wrote:
Just a thought..no Floridians would be here if the locals had not sold them their land. What did you think? I'll take the money but they will never actually move here?
BINGO!!!!!!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#183 Mar 4, 2010
I remember how back in the 80's there was a big push by these companies to sell land up in the N Ga Mountains.
It was like a timeshare presentation. You'd drive up, sit through a film, look at the plots, discuss it with the salesman and leave with your free gift.

I remember my parents doing this. He almost bought some property up there, but didn't.

Question for you locals. How many of these people actually built any homes on this land that they bought? I am just curious.

I adore Blue Ridge, and I really hope that your town does not become overgrown with shopping malls, numerous restaurants etc... That happened here in Douglasville where I live. Now the town is full of thugs and crime.

Have a good day.
blah

United States

#184 Jan 28, 2013
gah i wishthey would go
Flounder

United States

#185 Jan 29, 2013
Well thank you sir . I was happy to return to Florida after meeting such rude people that lot of you are in Fannin. The best thing is go lobby your chamber of commerce & realtors get them to start running commercials for all floridians to stay away. Maybe you that are complaining put your money ( if you have any) together and by some blocks of ads in Atlanta and Florida. Please get the word out. Start lobbying soon ! Thanks for telling us we aren't welcome. Fine with me!
Flounder

United States

#186 Jan 29, 2013
Oh here are a few more to ideas - rent all the billboards , put flyers on all cars you see from outof town go home oh and please don't enjoy our beautiful beaches that you flock to example the panhandle. See maybe we don't like uneducated hillbillies here.
Badger

Canton, GA

#187 Jan 30, 2013
Flounder wrote:
Well thank you sir . I was happy to return to Florida after meeting such rude people that lot of you are in Fannin. The best thing is go lobby your chamber of commerce & realtors get them to start running commercials for all floridians to stay away. Maybe you that are complaining put your money ( if you have any) together and by some blocks of ads in Atlanta and Florida. Please get the word out. Start lobbying soon ! Thanks for telling us we aren't welcome. Fine with me!
The only rude people in Blue Ridge seem to be the ignorant ones who find their way to this blog. Most of the bloggers and just about all the people in town are very receptive to people from out of town. Don't judge Blue Ridge by those on Topix.
blah

United States

#188 Jan 30, 2013
we just call it like we see it. you come up here and bring crime and drugs with you... if it smells like trash, looks like trash, and treats others with no respect whatsoever, then it's a "tourist!"
GaGirl64

Okeechobee, FL

#189 Jan 30, 2013
blah wrote:
we just call it like we see it. you come up here and bring crime and drugs with you... if it smells like trash, looks like trash, and treats others with no respect whatsoever, then it's a "tourist!"
Blah not all of think like you do. There was drugs and crime before they came here. Apparently you havent lived here long enough to know that.
GaGirl64

Okeechobee, FL

#190 Jan 30, 2013
Flounder wrote:
Oh here are a few more to ideas - rent all the billboards , put flyers on all cars you see from outof town go home oh and please don't enjoy our beautiful beaches that you flock to example the panhandle. See maybe we don't like uneducated hillbillies here.
Flounder, not everyone in Blue Ridge is like this I can promise you that
Lauri

Brandon, FL

#191 Jan 30, 2013
My family and I visited Blue Ridge and the surrounding small communities the month of November.
After visiting and having a wonderful holiday we agreed a home on the lake of Blue Ridge would be the perfect place for our family second home since our children love water sports.
We have many flyers and lots of information on what could have been a great place for us.
So disturbing to learn of so much hate in your community.
We will be looking in a different location now.
Sure there will be some rude comments about this post.
Logged on Topix in many communities asking questions and have never seen such hate in people's hearts.
You have a beautiful community and I'm sure some lovely people there but one can not overlook such hate .
Yes, our hosts were a Florida family .
Jessica

Blairsville, GA

#192 Jan 31, 2013
Lauri wrote:
My family and I visited Blue Ridge and the surrounding small communities the month of November.
After visiting and having a wonderful holiday we agreed a home on the lake of Blue Ridge would be the perfect place for our family second home since our children love water sports.
We have many flyers and lots of information on what could have been a great place for us.
Logged on Topix in many communities asking questions and have never seen such hate in people's hearts.
You have a beautiful community and I'm sure some lovely people there but one can not overlook such hate .
Best news of the the day. Its called a second House not a home. Anyways no biggie Floriduh has a lot to offer seek it there.
Badger

Canton, GA

#193 Jan 31, 2013
Lauri wrote:
I find it hard to believe anyone would decide to live or not to live in a community based upon comments made on Topix.
Hepsie

Blue Ridge, GA

#194 Jan 31, 2013
My biggest complaint about outsiders moving in is that they wait until they are retired or near retirement, come in and build three story houses on the highest mountain they can find, then when they, because of their age, have medical emergicies expect our county to immediately get to them and carry them down three sets of stairs,get them to the hospital to save their lives. Then, the complaints start, the medical care is not good enough,not like in Florida,etc. Our county in the meantime must use it's resources to get up roads barely passable,ruin our rescue vehicles to help them! Why not use common sense and build handicap accesable one story houses down country so they can get help without the extra burden on others? They have to know, at their age, they will have problems.
Badger

Canton, GA

#195 Jan 31, 2013
Hepsie wrote:
My biggest complaint about outsiders moving in is that they wait until they are retired or near retirement, come in and build three story houses on the highest mountain they can find, then when they, because of their age, have medical emergicies expect our county to immediately get to them and carry them down three sets of stairs,get them to the hospital to save their lives. Then, the complaints start, the medical care is not good enough,not like in Florida,etc. Our county in the meantime must use it's resources to get up roads barely passable,ruin our rescue vehicles to help them! Why not use common sense and build handicap accesable one story houses down country so they can get help without the extra burden on others? They have to know, at their age, they will have problems.
Who are you to tell people what kind of house they should live in? If they're building big houses, it means they're paying a lot in taxes. Those taxes are should be paying for improved roads and services.
Flounder

United States

#197 Jan 31, 2013
Hepsie wrote:
you would not have the resources if it wasn't for the out of towns- get it they are paying for the services - probably more than you unless you live in a three story house -what is wrong with you people-
Flounder

United States

#198 Jan 31, 2013
Sounds like most of the people posting the things about Atlanta & Florida could be jealous of others success & frustrated with there lives. Keep up the good work folks. The more you continue people will stop coming and of course to your delight. In the end it will effect your community
rebelforlife

Columbia, SC

#199 Feb 1, 2013
Flounder wrote:
Sounds like most of the people posting the things about Atlanta & Florida could be jealous of others success & frustrated with there lives. Keep up the good work folks. The more you continue people will stop coming and of course to your delight. In the end it will effect your community

A lot of the visitors treat us like we are second class people. Look down on us. Not all do this but the ones who do get the good ones a bad name also.
Back in the 70's when the people from FL started moving in they were very demanding and wanted to change everything to be like it was in FL. That's where a lot of the bad feelings came from. It is not just the FL people doing this. I talked to a person who had been here just a few weeks an all he wanted to do is put down our schools and all sports teams in the area. He said they are nothing compared to where he was from and they needed to change and start coaching and playing like real people do.
Badger

Canton, GA

#200 Feb 1, 2013
rebelforlife wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of the visitors treat us like we are second class people. Look down on us. Not all do this but the ones who do get the good ones a bad name also.
Back in the 70's when the people from FL started moving in they were very demanding and wanted to change everything to be like it was in FL. That's where a lot of the bad feelings came from. It is not just the FL people doing this. I talked to a person who had been here just a few weeks an all he wanted to do is put down our schools and all sports teams in the area. He said they are nothing compared to where he was from and they needed to change and start coaching and playing like real people do.
No matter where you go in the world, you will find people who are ignorant and treat others badly. Thankfully, most people aren't that way. I find Blue Ridge to have some of the nicest people I have ever met. This includes locals, Floridians and Atlantans. Those who treat you badly or bad mouth Blue Ridge aren't worth getting upset over.
Visitor

United States

#201 Mar 25, 2013
Badger wrote:
<quoted text>No matter where you go in the world, you will find people who are ignorant and treat others badly. Thankfully, most people aren't that way. I find Blue Ridge to have some of the nicest people I have ever met. This includes locals, Floridians and Atlantans. Those who treat you badly or bad mouth Blue Ridge aren't worth getting upset over.
Many nice people in blue ridge , mostly the uneducated saying all the bad things on this site about visitors. Do we know what percent of high school graduates in blue ridge go on to a higher education?

Since: May 12

Morganton, GA

#202 Mar 26, 2013
some high school 31.4%
high school grad/ged 34.0%
some college 23.4%
college grad 4yr 7.1%
post grad studies 4.1%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Now Hiring 15 hr Lala 1
Sharon's Friendship Ride in Blue Ridge (Oct '13) Fri Robert Quinn 2
Review: Avenair Mountain Cabin Rentals (Nov '08) Aug 24 helevy 16
Harry Doss ran out of town on a rail (Nov '09) Aug 24 Arp 25
Very interesting info on facebook Aug 21 me 2
Rebel flags in town is also a joke (Aug '14) Aug 20 Resident 266
Fannin football Aug 20 Resident 1

Epworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance