Red Light Cameras on Trial in Olympia

Red Light Cameras on Trial in Olympia

There are 26 comments on the Kitsapsun.com story from Jan 24, 2010, titled Red Light Cameras on Trial in Olympia. In it, Kitsapsun.com reports that:

State Rep. Chris Hurst, D-Enumclaw, has sponsored a bill that would cap fines at $25 and require yellow lights at intersections where the cameras are used to last at least four seconds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kitsapsun.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dino

Tacoma, WA

#1 Jan 24, 2010
Finally, someone in our state government gets it. I don't see Hurst's bill going to far but at least one person understands. I believe in redlight cameras; however, I don't believe in shorting the yellow light time frame or the huge fines that go with them. If red light cameras were for safety reasons and not revenue increases, then the yellow light time would increase in duration so drivers would be able to stop. Not sure where I was but I came upon an intersection with a camera. The yellow light had to be one a second or more. Luckily, I was far enough back to stop or I would have been issued one of those $124 tickets. I for one will be calling my representative to support Hurst's bill. It is about time.
Kelly Dennison

United States

#2 Jan 25, 2010
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Not only have I not had a ticket in 10 yrs but I get two of these tickets not at an intersection but in a school zone. And in both instances school was not in session. Lower these fines!! I know people with worse offenses than me and there fines aren't half as bad.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#3 Jan 26, 2010
These lights with cameras are rigged. Every light that has a camera on it changes to red in a split second. This is such bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of getting everyone to drive safely. But is that really what the cameras are for? No! I think this is just a scam to make money. Why do you think the lights change so fast? They WANT you to run the light! Am I to understand that Kelly here got two tickets costing her around $250???? Damn! I hope they kissed her first!
Dino

Tacoma, WA

#4 Jan 26, 2010
OK, this issue has me hot. I've commented once already but I am still po'd about what I have experienced in the southern Seattle burbs. The cameras are not about safety but about revenue. If it was about safety, then they would increase the yellow light reaction time. The cities didn't, and it appears they decreased them. The local communities are targeting drivers and we need to react. Contact your local representatives and support this bill. If not, vote the bastards out.
Dino

Tacoma, WA

#5 Jan 26, 2010
BTW...I'm in support of the cameras when they are properly used. They are not being used properly.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#6 Jan 27, 2010
I say vote it out. This will only cause more traffic accidents. People will break the law whether we have cameras or not. Complete waste of our time and tax payers money.
TomatoHead

Seattle, WA

#7 Jan 27, 2010
Got nailed on a Red Light violation on 80th and 15th NW. Went to time the Yellow with a stop watch. 20 reaqdings in a row. Its supposed to be 3.5 seconds. It is set at 3.2 seconds. Anybody check the timing before and used as defense in court?
Dino

Tacoma, WA

#8 Jan 27, 2010
Funny Tomatohead. Funny! You amuse me!
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#9 Jan 28, 2010
Dino wrote:
Funny Tomatohead. Funny! You amuse me!
As funny as Tomatohead sounds, he may be on to something. How are we supposed to stop for a red light when the light switches too fast? It's not like any of us are driving that friggin' Knight Rider car.
Dino

Tacoma, WA

#10 Jan 28, 2010
antigoonis wrote:
<quoted text> As funny as Tomatohead sounds, he may be on to something. How are we supposed to stop for a red light when the light switches too fast? It's not like any of us are driving that friggin' Knight Rider car.
I'm laughing at the nanoseconds part of his argument. He obviously posted it to be amusing...going from 3.5 seconds to 3.2 seconds or whatever he/she posted. We are talking about going from a 6 or 5 second yellow to a 3 or less second yellow.
I'm with you with the changing of the timing of yellow lights...look at my previous posts.
LIBERTY

Gouldsboro, PA

#11 Feb 7, 2010
Just the same, nothing amusing about getting a ticket for bullsh*t.
Dino

Seattle, WA

#12 Feb 7, 2010
I'm with everyone. I'm not making a legal right turn anywhere around here. Too many ticktets being issued.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#13 Mar 2, 2010
Just recently ran a red light because if I slammed on the brakes, the jerk*ff tailgating me would've hit me. Is this how we make the streets safer? Now I get to play the guessing game of whether or not I get a ticket in the mail. The fun just never stops!
Truth

Port Orchard, WA

#14 Mar 20, 2010
It's easy to get out of these. Just say you weren't driving. They usually do not have a picture of your face.

Also, what ever happened to your right to face your accuser???
Dino

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2010
antigoonis wrote:
Just recently ran a red light because if I slammed on the brakes, the jerk*ff tailgating me would've hit me. Is this how we make the streets safer? Now I get to play the guessing game of whether or not I get a ticket in the mail. The fun just never stops!
Not to ruin your day because you are pro-abortion (j/k) but you could get the ticket three months or more from now. Some of these tickets come so late that you can have another or two before realizing the problem. Here lies the other problem...the time it takes in penalizing the offenders.
Dino

United States

#16 Mar 20, 2010
Truth wrote:
It's easy to get out of these. Just say you weren't driving. They usually do not have a picture of your face.
Also, what ever happened to your right to face your accuser???
lol...I have to share this. I was stationed in Germany where they actually take a picture of your face. A friend's wife and daughter were caught speeding at around the same time in a different town of Germany. The tickets were issued to the wife and my friend argued how could she, luckily the wife and daughter looked the same, have been in two parts of Germany at the same time. He beat the tough system in Germany...unheard of.

These laws work when they are not used as revenue increases. They help keep police off the roads inforcing the rules and allow technology to be used to help inforce the laws. Unfortunately, we have to many towns taking advantage of the situation, thinking of the revenue increases, and making it nearly impossible to stop without causing an accident. I'm all for redlight cameras or speed cameras in school zones but at least make it fair.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#17 Mar 22, 2010
Dino wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to ruin your day because you are pro-abortion (j/k) but you could get the ticket three months or more from now. Some of these tickets come so late that you can have another or two before realizing the problem. Here lies the other problem...the time it takes in penalizing the offenders.
HOW DARE YOU!!! LOL...Seriously though, haven't gotten anything yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Doomsqual

Seattle, WA

#18 Mar 22, 2010
The funny thing is how many people post in forums that they beat the system and brag how they did the crime. You are the reason more cameras of even better quality will be installed in more places. Tech is getting faster, cheaper and easier to operate and install and is coming to an intersection, park, school, work office, personal car, and soon your living room. Enjoy.
LIBERTY

Gouldsboro, PA

#19 Mar 22, 2010
Anyone that commits a crime and gets away with it, should be smart enough not to mention it. Never know when the wrong guy might be listening.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#20 May 9, 2010
It's been almost three months. I think I'm in the clear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Enumclaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 13 hr uncle Jed 1
News Arizona Joe Jun '16 Dennis Flannigan 1
Zediah Dacti Timmons Jun '16 Under honorable Z... 1
News Arrest made in deadly Federal Way shooting (Jul '08) Jun '16 Lol 27
News Enumclaw pastor's child rape trial delayed (Jan '13) Mar '16 Cutegirlsexy 2
samy inmon (Mar '13) Jul '15 Rocky69 2
Hwy. 410 White River Bridge reopens after emerg... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Enumclaw employee 1

Enumclaw Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Enumclaw Mortgages