mradcliff

United States

#1 May 24, 2009
Has anyone in the fairmont area seen some strange looking wild cats? The ones I have seen are small, appear to be gray, have spots on their bodies and a ringed tail like a racoon. I have only seen them at night, so I assume they are nocturnal. I've seen them out at the Shop n Save at the mall, Norway, and near the college.
Yep

United States

#2 Sep 8, 2009
Saw them, they aren't cats, they are Raccoons.
Ole Slanderson

Fairmont, WV

#3 Sep 16, 2009
Maybe it was a ring tailed lemar!
mradcliff

Clarksburg, WV

#4 Sep 19, 2009
I've seen them up close and they are definitely feline not raccoons. Thought perhaps they were some wild cat/house cat hybrid. I haven't seen them for months. Perhaps next year I can try humanly trapping one and take a pic.
rude_one

United States

#5 Feb 1, 2010
they are what is known in pittsburgh as catcoons they are actually part cat part raccoon whether these hybrids can mate,that is still unknown.these animals have been in the pittsburgh area since 1991
mradcliff

Clarksburg, WV

#6 Feb 1, 2010
Thank you rude_one, however a cross between cats and raccoons are genetically impossible. For two animals to mate successfully, they must be at least the same genus. For example, canines can breed with other canines, felines can breed with other felines, rodents can breed with other rodents. Raccoons however, are in a genus called Procyon. Basically, as far as WV is concerned, there are no other Procyon genus animals in this area. Also, pretty much all Procyon are a type of raccoon.
Man in Black

United States

#7 Feb 1, 2010
They are alien creatures attempting to reside here after their craft crashed here according to confidential documents in 1991. They're have been at least four documented rescue attempts by e.t's to pick them up. They survive the best they can, but rumour has it they are getting ready to do like most other illegal immigrants and get on welfare.
mradcliff

Fairmont, WV

#8 Feb 1, 2010
Thanks for being of no help, whatsoever Man in Black
Crypto Zoo Man

Fairmont, WV

#9 Feb 6, 2010
Sounds like a case of the Were-Beast! Or, maybe a Jackalope... Hard to tell from your descriptions.
Ashera

United States

#10 Feb 9, 2010
mradcliff wrote:
Has anyone in the fairmont area seen some strange looking wild cats? The ones I have seen are small, appear to be gray, have spots on their bodies and a ringed tail like a racoon. I have only seen them at night, so I assume they are nocturnal. I've seen them out at the Shop n Save at the mall, Norway, and near the college.
Look into the giant house cat called "Ashera". sounds like some got loose they have a price tag on them of about $20,000+ but would have to have papers and proof of their breeding.
Indrid Cold

Fairmont, WV

#11 Mar 17, 2010
I thought as far as cryptids went we only got mothmen around here...
ABZ

Fairmont, WV

#12 Jun 23, 2010
I heard a few years back there were some wildcats running around Braddock St. My grandma lives there and she claimed her neiber found a carcass of a lapdog or something
Beevis

United States

#13 Jun 23, 2010
We should ask Aaron Ashley if he has one in his freezer.
Zeak Harbors

Greensburg, PA

#14 Jun 30, 2010
I've lived on Ridgely Ave for about 5yrs and see these cats all the time. There are the ones with the ringed tail and ones that are black with white under the head. They're not tame and won't come to me but are fun to watch.
Dog bait

London, KY

#15 Aug 17, 2010
mradcliff wrote:
I've seen them up close and they are definitely feline not raccoons. Thought perhaps they were some wild cat/house cat hybrid. I haven't seen them for months. Perhaps next year I can try humanly trapping one and take a pic.
More than likely, they are some of the freak off-spring from you WV folks.
Coal Miners Wife

Mount Hope, WV

#16 Sep 13, 2010
Dog bait wrote:
<quoted text>
More than likely, they are some of the freak off-spring from you WV folks.
Coming from some one in KY...HMMMM
Cat expert

Santa Ana, CA

#17 Nov 17, 2013
mradcliff wrote:
Most likely a margay cat.
1 post removed
Weird Harold

Ashburn, VA

#19 Nov 18, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
Plenty of strange, wild pussy running around Fairmont.
Yes indeed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Enterprise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr hall? 1 hr Tired 1
Trump power!! 1 hr Barros 84
Johnna harker a snitch? 12 hr Yes 9
Bed Bugs in Idamay HUD apartments 12 hr Yes 3
Great 12 hr Waste 5
Suck it Nick Saban 13 hr Jealousy 3
Backpage shut down 13 hr wondering 10

Enterprise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance