Shinnston officer faces drug, embezzl...

Shinnston officer faces drug, embezzlement charges

There are 32 comments on the Charleston Daily Mail story from Dec 9, 2011, titled Shinnston officer faces drug, embezzlement charges. In it, Charleston Daily Mail reports that:

The e-mail address that you supply to use this service will only be used to send the requested article.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Daily Mail.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shinston Council is Blind

Clarksburg, WV

#1 Dec 14, 2011
Does this really surprise anyone in Shinnston? We live here, and this corrupt police Dept has been selling drugs, and been involved in one bad Shinnston Cop after another every single year...

The sad truth is Shinnston city council has there head up there ass, and to listen to them nothing is ever wrong with these bad cops...

This department has a chief of police that came straight from the coal mines, and has no leadership skills. Lt. Barnhart the second in command is over 300 pounds, and is the laughing stock of every good citizen in Shinnston...

When will Shinnston get good cops? Good Leadership, and quit hiring the bottom the barrel cops?
Local

Potosi, MO

#2 Dec 20, 2011
Shinston Council is Blind wrote:
Does this really surprise anyone in Shinnston? We live here, and this corrupt police Dept has been selling drugs, and been involved in one bad Shinnston Cop after another every single year...
The sad truth is Shinnston city council has there head up there ass, and to listen to them nothing is ever wrong with these bad cops...
This department has a chief of police that came straight from the coal mines, and has no leadership skills. Lt. Barnhart the second in command is over 300 pounds, and is the laughing stock of every good citizen in Shinnston...
When will Shinnston get good cops? Good Leadership, and quit hiring the bottom the barrel cops?
Agree and also disagree... chief has zero leadership skills.. as for the bad cops.. can't say I totally agree on all of them. One for sure is excellent and fair. One is young, and arrogant, but seems to do his job with pride.. Barnhart, who may be large, actually is a very good investigator .. because of him, these two bad cops were caught and turned over to hcsd to prosecute.. the city management in general is average at best. But you wont keep officers who are certified with out making money. Just like any other job,$$ rules the roost.. I would also recommend running for the next council seat open since you such a strong opinion. People need to make a change
The Truth

Clarksburg, WV

#3 Dec 20, 2011
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree and also disagree... chief has zero leadership skills.. as for the bad cops.. can't say I totally agree on all of them. One for sure is excellent and fair. One is young, and arrogant, but seems to do his job with pride.. Barnhart, who may be large, actually is a very good investigator .. because of him, these two bad cops were caught and turned over to hcsd to prosecute.. the city management in general is average at best. But you wont keep officers who are certified with out making money. Just like any other job,$$ rules the roost.. I would also recommend running for the next council seat open since you such a strong opinion. People need to make a change
Let me ask you this? How did Barnhart help the Bridgeport PD when they busted Shinnston Cop Matheny for using the counterfit bill he took from the evidence locker? Barnhard did not have a thing to do with that. As a matter of fact since he is a Lt. he should at least display some leadership skills and be more proactive with all the problemsd this department has.

And as for his investigative skills. I have a copy of a investigation he conducted. and his narrative is full of mis-spelled words, and the prosecutors office even determined this report was lacking in many areas. I will give you an example. I called on a neighbor who was brandishing a weapon in the city limits and aimed it at people. And in Barnhart's report he did not confiscate the weapon, did not take the serial number of the weapon, did not check the NCIC datebase to see if it was stolen, and did not even mention the weapon in his report. As a matter of fact the perpetrator was NOT even arrested. He was the Mayors brother.....

Now I was a former Police Officer in Arizona, and I can tell you this was the most inaccurate and one sided police report I have ever seen.

In fact I know first hand of Barnhart's laziness and inability to properly protect us, that I sued and won my case in court, and I also moved the hell out of there!!

So I do disagree with you about Barnhart!! In my professional opinion he is a lazy, good ole boy cop who lacks real investigative ability, and still writes like a 3rd grader...

But then again, like I said, Shinnston has never really hired any good cops...
OldSchool

Worthington, WV

#4 Dec 20, 2011
Buzzy Book was the man!!!Bring back Buzzy...
mark

United States

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Buzzy and Leonard ran Shinnston for years with no problems I think the population was even higher back then but nowadays you have Barney Fife and deputy dog and 5 others don't know their ass from a hole in the ground if you ever want to kill someone Shinnston would be the place they say all those murders an not want conviction
OUTSIDER

Fairmont, WV

#6 Jan 24, 2013
mark wrote:
Buzzy and Leonard ran Shinnston for years with no problems I think the population was even higher back then but nowadays you have Barney Fife and deputy dog and 5 others don't know their ass from a hole in the ground if you ever want to kill someone Shinnston would be the place they say all those murders an not want conviction
Googled this topic on the present News that the police chief has been fired. News isn't saying why just unspecified reasons. I moved out of there. Tht city has so many issues and the entire city council and mayor need to all be stripped as well as the police. Start fresh and get boss hog demarco out. He does NOTHING for the city. Oh and have you ever heard about anyone having to go to court in shinnston? You get to go before "judge heinerman". Who isn't really a judge.
yankee1776

Bridgeport, WV

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Listen up Shinnston! The police chief was not fired because of drugs, embezzlement or anything of that nature. There was a problem (theft of property) that goes back to 2000, 2001. All of the proper paperwork was filed by (Mike) when he was under Buzzy and a case file was opened up for investigation. Recently, 11 to 12 years later after the case was opened, someone tried to sell these items and it was reported. Buzzy (retired)was contacted by Joe Shaffer and it all got blamed on Mike Secreto. I can assure everyone in Shinnston that this is an ongoing investigation and that (Buzzy) will be implicated and charged on a federal level. Why would someone with no knowledge of the impending case, start rumors, tell lies when all they know is what was said on the news and that, was very brief. All the news said was that, he was fired pending an investigation. I know about the case file first hand and I, can assure you that Mr. Secreto was blamed but, not involved. The only mistake that he made was to do his job ,at the time and file the report when he was under the command of Buzzy! Whoever started this post is a liar! If you don't know something to be a fact, then why start a rumor just to slam his family, or cause another rumor to go around Shinnston. Buzzy is a good person to talk to but, knowing him for more than 17 years, he likes to pass the buck. You think he is so honest, you will see.
Happy Days for the People

Clarksburg, WV

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Praise God! The crooked cop Police Chief Michael Secreto who has been an albatross to the city of Shinnston has been FIRED!

So all the people who say he is an honest and just man can now go jump off a cliff.

It astonishes me that this police chief had 3 bad cops fired in the last 18 months, and he was never held accountable for his men's actions. Truth is, he was more then likely their ring leader.

He is a crooked as they come. He protects criminals, uses his badge to obtain confidential information on citizens, and runs his department like Barney Fife.

The problem really was city council failed to act on this a lot sooner, they have been like an ostridge with their head in the sand. NOT w2anting to see or acknowledge he was a crook after numerous police scandals and a corrupt police department.

Now he can go back the the coal mines where he came from and belongs working an honest days work!!
Can You Read?

Clarksburg, WV

#9 Jan 27, 2013
This thread was started in December of 2011. It is in no way related to the current firing and investigation of Mike Secreto!

Read More. Post Less.
Thread

Clarksburg, WV

#10 Jan 28, 2013
This is a forum web site about Shinnston NOT just a single thread. It is a place to vent our unhappiness with our crooked and corrupt police dept...So get over it...
Thread Thoughts

Clarksburg, WV

#11 Jan 28, 2013
Yes I agree with you.......It is about any topic about Shinnston and if you scroll up there are several comments about the PD....

So can U read, Like he stated....GET OVER IT!
1 post removed
Mary

United States

#13 Mar 14, 2013
A very sad situation for Shinnston. Bring back Buzzy and Leonard. Pull them out of retirement to get Shinnston back on track. Let them train the new officers.
Jennifer

Fairmont, WV

#14 Mar 15, 2013
I am sure they are all great guys and just misunderstood.
Read

United States

#15 Mar 17, 2013
Read Doddridge County Topix Forum.

Did the officials in Shinnston do a background check??????????
Mary not so bright

Morgantown, WV

#16 Mar 20, 2013
Yeah Marry let's bring back another cop you can not trust
Tina

United States

#17 Mar 20, 2013
I read the Clarksburg paper this morning and if I understand correctly Buzzy was not even working for the city in 2001. It said that Mr. Secreto asked Buzzy to store items.

If in fact items were removed from the city who gave Secreto permission to do so? Buzzy was retired at that time if I understand correctly.

I dont understand why everything is being blamed on Buzzy. Does not make sense to me.
To Tina

Fairmont, WV

#18 Mar 20, 2013
The city will do anything to make sure nothing comes back on them snakes in the grass. They will through anyone under bus if they have to ans sounds like thats what they are doing now
Criminal Cops

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Mar 21, 2013
Well now a total of 5 bad cops have disgraced the city of Shinnston, What is there NOT too agree with on this subject. WAKE UP SHINNSTON.

I can tell you EXACTLY how to hire good cops,

1) Do a thorough background investigation, use polygraphs and drug screens get out and talk to the neighbors where theses potential neighbors live! Check their police Academy records for flaws and problems. Look at HS records. Do NOT just use a BCI background check.

2) Use twice a year urinalysis test cops who test postive fire them!

3) Maintain Height / Weight Physical Standards.

4) Have effective pro active leadership not someone who is a good ole boy from the coal mines.

5) have written police proccedures and policies in place for officer guidance. Shinnston has none.

6) provide training, its worth every dollar, not just firearms, but ethics, drug abuse, evidence, and continuing updated law enforcement classes.

7) have effective police oversight in place to handle citizens complaints. All complaints should be investigated and then reviewed by the city Manager so no police cover up will occur. I guarantee you if all of these measures would have been in place none of this would have happened!

8) and last, City Council needs to STOP standing by bad cops, it makes the city look stupid after a total of 5 cops have been arrested which is 75% of the police force.

ITS NOT rocket science!
Beavis

Fairmont, WV

#20 Mar 21, 2013
9) Turn over all law enforcement responsibility to the State Police.
Cindi

Chesapeake, OH

#21 Apr 11, 2013
I think EVERY ONE should learn how to do some reasearch BEFORE they start running their mouth

I've always been told that IF YOU DON'T HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY NOTHING AT ALL

The requirements for "municipal judges" are available. DO THE RESEARCH
And.......
The judges name is "HINERMAN".
TRY SPELLING IT THE RIGHT WAY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Enterprise Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cantoni's Pizza...what do you think? (May '15) 1 hr knows 31
Die 79 1 hr scratchy radio 2
Fairmont Fourth of July 2 hr Synthetic 6
Sunday Flea Market Palatine Park 5 hr Frontline 1
Single women 5 hr Shark Show 7
Looking for a cool girl to hand out on Saturday. 23 hr Kain 2
Margret Emily Brown Thu Phoney name 6

Enterprise Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance