Is there a church in Mt Vernon-Enola where the folks are actually FRIENDLY ?

Posted in the Enola Forum

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2013
Pork n beans

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

I've visited a few of the local churches and have not felt welcomed at all. I will refrain from mentioning which ones, even though I would get some temporary pleasure from rebuking them openly. I remember visiting churches when I was a kid, and everyone came up, introduced themselves, thanked us for coming, and went out of their way to be hospitable. At least half the time, complete strangers would invite us to their homes for Sunday dinner and to become better aquainted. Yet, in this clannish, holier than thou, backwards little community, your lucky if they even acknowledge your presence. Most go as far as avoiding eye contact. Now, I must admit, I've been out of church for a while, and I suppose I'm beginning to wonder if this is how all churches are these days or if this is simply a characteristic of this community. If anyone is aware of a church in the area that doesn't have an "in crowd", but simply treats EVERYONE with hospitality,kindness, and the Christian precepts of brotherly love, regardless of whether or not your from here or kin to them, please let me know. Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.
Deb

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Try New Life in Conway or Re:New Church in Cabot
Pork n beans

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

New life is too big. Also, I said a church WITHOUT an "in crowd", not a church with 40 different in crowds. What I would like, is a church that is in the community where I live, where I could fellowship and worship with the people from this community. It just seems as though nobody out here is interested in gaining new members unless they're people from the area that everybody already knows. I don't understand. If they aren't going to welcome newcomers, why don't they just put a sign up that says "members and invited guests only"? At least then they would be honest about it instead of pretending to be a regular church. I've got half a mind to go back to one of the churches I visited out here ( the one where they were the most pretentious) and stand up immediately after the announcements and ask to speak. Then go on for as long as I can about how I've never felt so welcomed anywhere in my life and how happy I am to have fell in with such a hospitable bunch. Maybe then they would all feel as much like trash as I did after the last time I went there.
Pork n beans

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

By the way, when I say that the people at these churches aren't friendly, that's not entirely true. They appear to be very friendly to each other. It's their guests that they ignore and treat like absolute garbage. They all claim to be in the business of winning people to The Lord, but apparently that only applies to their kin and people they went to school with. Everyone else can go to hell. I think it's a pathetic joke.
Big Tom

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

You just described every church in existence that has over 30 members. If you want a church where they're nice then find the littlest church around. Anything bigger than that and you'll get more of the same.
Larry

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2013

Are you joking? There aren't enough friendly people in that community to make a church! You do realize that area has a long held reputation as being the most stuck up place in Faulkner County, right? Just be glad you don't have to go sit with those assholes on Sunday or any other day of the week.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Enola Discussions

Search the Enola Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim barnes?? (May '11) 50 min gbz 14
Kc Murphy (Dec '11) 59 min gbz 15
fake pot (Apr '12) 1 hr gbz 17
AR Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 8 hr fyi 28,991
AR Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Arkansas ... (Oct '10) 10 hr heather 1,763
Vilonia officer under investigation for 'vindic... 14 hr not surprised!!!! 1
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 15 hr birds 9,791
•••
•••
•••
•••

Enola Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Enola People Search