'One more ride"

There are 46 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Apr 30, 2009, titled 'One more ride". In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

Nick Corbo had a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda 383 four-speed in Torrid Red. Cinderella's coach arrived when she was feeling low.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Skip

Brooklyn, NY

#1 May 1, 2009
Wonderful story, great reporting.
Diane C

Morristown, NJ

#2 May 1, 2009
Thank you for this heart-warming story. Life is really never about what you have; it's about who you have. Nick is blessed with a loving family, and loyal friends.
We should all pray to St. Jude to give him another summer with us, and perhaps even one more 'cuda ride.
Baseball mom

White Plains, NY

#3 May 1, 2009
Nick is the best coach a kid could ever ask for. My son played for Nick for 3 years and never had a better coach! Nick taught him things no other coach could. He treats all kids the same and sees the talent in each kid. It's always about the kids with Nick, and he wasn't always liked because of that. Our family will be praying that he will be with us for the Sharkey tournament this summer because it sure will be empty without him there! God bless you Nick!
Janice Pielert

Brooklyn, NY

#5 May 1, 2009
What a beautiful story about a very special man. It is acts of kindness like this that restore my faith in this world. I wish Mr. Corbo a lot of sunny Summer days spent with his wife, daughter and friends reminiscing about his beloved muscle cars.
Baseball Dad

Englishtown, NJ

#6 May 1, 2009
Nick is by far the Best coach my son ever had. Every thing he did, he did with a sparkle in his heart and his eyes. Not only has he taught my son a lot but it was my pleasure to learn and watch him manage the boys on the field with grace, style, and respect. He always gives his very best.
He deserves every bit of this article and more for what he has done for our community.
Great Story

United States

#7 May 1, 2009
This country was created by great Americans like Nick. If moe people were like him, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. I don't know Nick and have never met him, although I wish I had, but he sounds like the kind of person I could only hope to be.

God's Speed!
Anonymous

East Hampton, CT

#8 May 1, 2009
Nick is a "Gentle Giant" who we hope and pray can live a longer life filled with painless days and fruitful joys.

Go by the baseball diamonds of Stamford and soak it all in Nick. You are loved in this town for all you did for so many youngsters over the years.

God bless you and your family.
Ben

Garnerville, NY

#9 May 1, 2009
I worked for Nick for a few years back in the mid eighties he is as good as this article paints him to be. A nice honest man who always went the extra mile to help anyone who needed it! God bless you Nick and be strong.
Ron - Baseball Dad

Colchester, CT

#10 May 1, 2009
I have had the pleasure of knowing Nick for over 15 years and my son also played ball for him. Nick always stressed the importance team spirit... of playing on a "team" because it taught selflessness and the importance of respect for the coaches, the officials and for each other!
I have never known him to ask for anything for himself. It was always about the kids or about his family or about helping someone in need.
He called me today and I still cannot beleive the reason for his call. It was to see if I could hire someone that he knows who is seeking employment. He could hardly speak but here he was looking to help someone in need.
Perhaps as Nick said in the article, God has "blessed him with good friends and old cars", but Nick has blessed and saved many young men from failure and touched the hearts of many of us while doing so.
God Bless Nick and his family and I am looking forward to seeing him in his favorite chair behind the concession at Cubeta in a few weeks.
Bobby K

United States

#12 May 1, 2009
Nick was my coach 26 years ago when I played in Stamford Babe Ruth. He is a good man and always had a smile on his face. He gave me a good foundation for playing baseball and I'm still playing at age 41. Thanks again Nick for everything you have done. You're a special person. :)

Since: Jul 08

Morristown, NJ

#13 May 1, 2009
What a heartwarming story about a wonderful man. The posts here from people who knew him add another dimension and it's clear that he is greatly loved because he has always been so giving of himself to others. It sounds like he has truly made other people's lives better because they knew him. Very touching.
stranger

Brooklyn, NY

#14 May 2, 2009
god bless nick corbo. god bless muscle cars.

Morristown, NJ

#17 May 2, 2009
The Banned One wrote:
<quoted text>
KAL just mentioned she has been trying to get you on Facebook. There will be a meeting at the 19th Hole this month.
Just let me know when. I'll see if I can add to FB so she can reach me! Thanks!
Moose

Stamford, CT

#18 May 4, 2009
A great story of a great yet simple loving man. Thanks Nick for all the love you have given and the all the lives you have touched with it. God bless. Surely he has a better plan for you.
Tina Corbo

Bronx, NY

#19 May 4, 2009
I will be back with a better, more thought-out response; but, for now please let this suffice as I ran across this by accident.

You have been, and are WONDERFUL to my Dad, as well as mself and Mom. The article was a surprise. Front Page - AMAZING. But, the phone calls, cards and notes, and now- these comments... that you wwould take time out of your day to show my Father this support and KINDNESS blows me away!!! And has been a TREMENDOUS BOON for his mood. You have ALL touched our hearts and I can't thank Angella, the Photographer (sorry, forgot your name), & You enough!!!
Like I said, after I've read these to Daddy-I'm sure he'll have a few words to say,too. As I just did this one "off the cuff". Again, thank you ALL.
Diane C

Morristown, NJ

#20 May 4, 2009
Ms. Corbo, please don't thank US. We thank YOU and your family for letting Angela into your lives at this difficult time, and for sharing your Dad's story with us. You are a wonderful daughter.
For those of us who never met him, this wonderful tale of good friends taking their buddy on that ride, and his hopes for a thunderous horsepower send-off, was filled with happiness and yet touched with sorrow.
Thank you & your family, too, for sharing him with the Babe Ruth league, where he obviously touched and influenced so many lives. I hope more of the folks he inspired will write in.
God bless you and your Mom, and most of all, Nick. Miracles happen, and I for one, am praying for another lovely summer for him, with you.
Attorney Lionel Hutz esq

Milldale, CT

#21 May 4, 2009
This is an OUTRAGE !!!
john

Stamford, CT

#22 May 5, 2009
Attorney Lionel Hutz esq wrote:
This is an OUTRAGE !!!
What is an outrage?

Morristown, NJ

#23 May 5, 2009
john wrote:
<quoted text>
What is an outrage?
nothing and everything. He randomly posts the exact same statement all the time in response to all different articles.
Mary

Plainsboro, NJ

#24 May 5, 2009
Miss Carella is an excellent writer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Englishtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogging in NJ (Aug '15) Mar '17 Ray 4
News Marlboro Cop Accused Of Beating Colts Neck Wome... (Oct '16) Oct '16 TDAWG 1
Disney Star Comes to Freehold, NJ - Meet & Gree... (May '16) Oct '16 in-car-sir Nation 3
Real Estate Course (Online/Classroom Based) New... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Bruce Kunz 1
News Don't buy pets on impulse this holiday season (Nov '09) Aug '16 Shayna Dalton 59
MOVE FOR LESS INC is the WORST moving company e... (Apr '09) Aug '16 An angry customer 40
Car Accident on Millhurst RD this AM.... (Jul '08) May '16 cvelasco 3

Englishtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Englishtown Mortgages