New England transplants to open Chowder House

There are 59 comments on the North Port Sun story from Jul 7, 2012, titled New England transplants to open Chowder House. In it, North Port Sun reports that:

PHOTO PROVIDED BY DEBORAH ARNOLD Owners of Englewood's soon-to-be-opened New England Chowder House include Mario Stillo, Chip Munro and James Heron.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Port Sun.

Rhode Islander forever

Venice, FL

#21 Aug 3, 2012
Here is the REAL deal on Clam Chowder for all you experts. Read it and notice the parts about what real chowder is.

http://leitesculinaria.com/1342/recipes-rhode...
amy

Venice, FL

#22 Aug 3, 2012
ate there today. really bad. they need to fix the food (terrible chowder, terrible clam cakes), fix the service (VERY slow considering how many people are in that kitchen and its counter service) and really expensive. plus the seating sucks. in other words redo everything. i hope you owners are listening to the reviews of your customers. 20 something reviews and only one said anything positive. thats really not good. we want good food and good service at good prices. we want you to succeed. so fix it or you wont last. and we will come back if the reviews improve.
Tom of englewood

North Port, FL

#23 Aug 4, 2012
Just had to come back & say some more, has a PROUD NEW ENGLANDER I just can't think of this PLACE as saying "NEW ENGLAND" clam chower maybe they meant "NEW ENGELWOOD" chower so sorry I still won't be back. Stll love my "CAN CHOWER" no matter what brand.
Toaster

Pomona Park, FL

#24 Aug 4, 2012
Rhode Islander forever wrote:
Here is the REAL deal on Clam Chowder for all you experts. Read it and notice the parts about what real chowder is.
Most people I know wish every Yankee in the state would move back to Rhode Island with you. You're not worth the high taxes, and naive liberal BS you bring to our fine state.
SCS

Rotonda West, FL

#26 Aug 5, 2012
Rhode Islander forever wrote:
What's your point?!?!? We're reviewing a chowder house here! You should be sending the recipe to them!! They seem to be more concerned about the person mifed about not having a chance to get a job there than they are about the concerns about their food! Obviously the owners HAVE seen all the posts and just don't think they need to change anything or just don't care! Either way we won't be back even if we could afford it!!!
Kim

North Port, FL

#27 Aug 6, 2012
I had the fried haddock sandwich with cheese. It was $7, huge and delicious. It reminded me of Cooke's in Sandwich, Ma. They did JUST open...let them settle in and tweak a few things.
Matt

United States

#28 Aug 6, 2012
Its a lot of money for long john silvers. Don't waste your money...
suzi1959

Venice, FL

#29 Aug 6, 2012
We were so looking forward to this restaurant opening. The press release mentioned that they would serve Manhattan Chowder as one of their featured dishes. Well, went there Saturday and we were extremely disappointed for a number of reasons. First, no Manhattan chowder. When we asked about it, the response was "maybe in season." What season? You need Snowbirds to make Manhattan chowder?
Secondly, the prices for self-service in styrofoam bowls with plastic silverware were WAY out of line in Englewood. We could go to one of the MANY excellent sit-down restaurants and get as much or more for our money. For $20 we got one large loaded salt potato, a cup of lobster bisque, a stingy glass of wine and 3 dry clamcakes with no dipping sauce of any kind offered. Needless to say, we left feeling ripped off and won't be returning any time soon.
As far as the food goes, we got to sample the Rhode Island and New England Chowders. The RI was pretty tasteless, no clam to be seen or chewed. The New England was a tad better, but still the clams were MIA. The clam cakes as mentioned were mostly dry dough leaving the loaded salt potato and the lobster bisque as the best choices we made. There wasn't even any cut up lemon to be found at the beverage bar for water or iced tea. Oh, and you have to sit at a picnic table and pick up your own food when your number is called. Imagine all the seniors with knee and hip problems enjoying that type of seating and service. Did these guys even check the demographics of the area before they opted for those long picnic tables?
We're very sad that all of this effort was put into creating a very inviting restaurant that is better suited to Boston than Englewood. Not to mention that the advertised chowder isn't even on the menu.
Try it once if you must. Maybe they will see the error of their ways and improve. Maybe you'll like a plate loaded with battered seafood and fries. But in our book, there are too many other home town treasures to eat at to worry about patronizing this place.
BAYB

Rotonda West, FL

#30 Aug 7, 2012
We had lunch there today,$25, WOW! Not happy with the quality of the food. Clam strip sandwich, too chewey. Chowder w/3 clam cakes...would describe as "potato soup w/3hush puppies", on the dry side & NO clams. As year'rounders, we appreciate price commensurate with quality (transplanted from Plymouth MA) we know quality sea food. Knowing how hard it is to start a restaurant business, there is time for adjustments, but at this point, don't see you there next year. So sorry...
James Moore

Englewood, FL

#31 Aug 8, 2012
I am 70 years old and this is the worst restaurant I have ever been in. I hope it hurrys up and closes before so many people get victimized like we did.
the bill was $39.89 for the two of us and we left hungry.
RCB

Englewood, FL

#32 Aug 8, 2012
Way overpriced. Food mediocre at best. Uncomfortable seating for seniors. I had the whole belly clams. Small in size and quantity for the money. Wife had clam strip roll that tasted like rubber bands. Mother in law had scallop roll which consisted of 4 scallops that were tasteless. Visions of another for lease sign appearing at the old Arby's on 776 real soon.
Kay of Englewood

Englewood, FL

#33 Aug 11, 2012
I just came from eating my first meal at Chowder House. Or should I say first and last. The food was overpriced (a cup of the lobster bisque was $7 and it was way too oily for me - the lobster bisque at Mango Bistro is much better). The fish dinner consisted of a large piece of fish on top of a large plate-full of french fries and onion rings all greasy and without much flavor. And the clam chowder was thin and watery. And then throw in the fact that you sit on hard benches, eat off paper plates with plastic utensils all while paying $50 for dinner for two. I don't think so! I also don't think this place will make for very long.
Kay of Englewood

Englewood, FL

#34 Aug 11, 2012
I just came from eating my first, AND LAST, meal at the new Chowder House here in Englewood. Awful! The food was all greasy including the lobster bisque (Mango Bistro's is MUCH better) and way over priced considering the fact that you are sitting on hard benches and eating off paper plates with plastic silverware while paying about $25 per person. I don't think so!
EWD Local

Rotonda West, FL

#35 Aug 17, 2012
As I drive past the chowder house daily on my way to work, I was excited for it to open. I agree,I tried 2 samples that were at the counter - the chowder is watery & clam cakes are doughy. I ordered fish and chips. Fish was a little fishy and verrry pricey. I noticed a women handing out samples of a dessert. However, it was never offered to me or my husband. I asked the women for a sample and after giving me a strange look, she brought back a dollop in 1 small cup(for tarter sauce)for my husband and I to share. Everyone else recieved a large cup (for cole slaw)for each person. Seemed to be targeting certain people.I'm local and will not be back.
local fish fiends

Port Charlotte, FL

#36 Aug 18, 2012
Waited to go. tried it last night was shocked when walked in to see picnic tables and benches, then realised you had to order and serve yourself. its a gloryfied take away with some tables and chairs. to the food -- not good the clam chowder was weak, tasteless and not very hot. -- the fish and chips were at best ok, my fish was acceptable,( I had a thickish piece)my wifes thin piece was overcooked and dry. the onion rings were not too bad but the Chips (french fries) were disgusting they were certainly not fresh cut, think they were either oven or frozen reconstituted potato chips or had been pre cooked and cooked again. really disappointed, owners need to re-vamp idea and serve good seafood at reasonable prices we paid $48 for a takeaway on plastic plates with plastic knives and forks at picnic table. we suggest to any one thinking of going dont waste your time it may improve when the snowbirds come back down but they really should look after the locals who live here year round.
Dennis

Bradenton, FL

#37 Aug 20, 2012
we ate Sunday night,the fish tasted terrible. We will not go back.
TJE

Englewood, FL

#38 Aug 20, 2012
Dennis wrote:
we ate Sunday night,the fish tasted terrible. We will not go back.
Wow! I guess the consensus of everyone here is correct! I drove by there today and no one was there!

I haven't tried it yet myself, but maybe I will if I'm in a "throw caution to the wind" kind of mood!

I was so looking forward to their opening too!

For some really good chowder, try A Bit of Boston on US41 in South Venice.
bubba

Englewood, FL

#39 Aug 22, 2012
Was expecting so much more. The Competition in Englewood is abundant. You would think that there Chowder would be there Signature Dish/Soup! WAS HORRIBLE. Water Downed. Order a Quart.... 1 tbl of potatoes, 2 clams and Water Downed MILK. Inexcuseable. Unacceptable to serve to customers! Message to Owner, "this is a Small Town Service and Quality is a Must." anything else won't work here
pammyclammy

Englewood, FL

#40 Aug 25, 2012
Waited so long for what I thought would be excellent food after all the time they took to get it opened. How disappointing we were. Have the owners eaten at any other restaurants in the hood? Compared prices and quality? We had the clam chowder with clam cakes, fried clams and fried fish. Clam chower was watery, clam cakes were goo balls with no clams, no onions, no taste whatsoever; fried clams were good, all six of them (and expensive) and the fish was Arthur Treachers. Worst of all was the bill. I could have eaten dinner out at a restaurant where I received service, salad, bread, etc., for the same money. They offer no specials for lunch or dinner. I'm so sorry to say how disappointed we were. Won't see us there again until the quality and cost change drastically. To many owners trying to recoup startup costs. Not the way to run a good restaurant.
Richard

Clearwater, FL

#41 Aug 29, 2012
We ate there today: First the place is beautiful and clean,the help is great.but the food was terrible and pricey.Way too much help working there and few customers at lunch time.Maybe three includeing us.The slaw was especially terrible as it might have been old.They have to get the food up to quality and the prices down to make a go of it.I can see they have put a lot of work into the building and it looks great!!Even the parking lot looks good,but the food has a long way to go.I wish them luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Englewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kinky sex stories 11 hr Babeboo101 1
Tampa Slim Thu Get a life 1
come down to Tampa Mayhem for a family afternoo... May 19 ChrisDico 2
News Dermatology clinics closed (Mar '11) May 19 marc 5
News Plantation: Organic mulch available free regard... (Nov '07) May 17 taz2009 3
Governor Scott Conspiracy exposed May 16 Lunar Construction 1
Englewood,FL - USCG Auxiliary - Flotilla 87 - N... May 16 Flotilla87 1
More from around the web

Englewood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]