Teen wears bullet proof vest to school

Police have uncovered a stash of weapons after arresting a student at the Life Skills Center, an alternative high school on East Memorial Boulevard in Lakeland. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jim

Clearwater, FL

#1 Oct 17, 2007
This story doesn't make any sense. He wore a bullet proof vest. Okay thats not acrime or a weapon. Then they found weapons at his home. Once again, okay how many thousands of those NRA members have weapons at home? The story still has nothing to do with what he was charged with. "armed trespassing, grand theft and criminal mischief" What was he armed with? What did he steal?
afpj

Palm Harbor, FL

#2 Oct 17, 2007
"Police later searched Newberry's home and found body armor,(not illegal) three AK 47's,(may be if fully auto) a shotgun, a taser,(neither illegal) chemical grenades,(illegal depending on type) and a gas mask (not illegal). A video recorder with Newberry and three other people engaged in target practice with the AK's.(not illegal)., However, The video shows the teens firing on a Lakeland Ledger newspaper rack (destruction of private property) and detonating an explosive device of Winter Lake Road in Polk County Totaly Illegal) Wrong charges but a solid arrest if the charges are addmended and information is properly filed with the court for the new charges. Solid arrest and with the tape a conviciton. P.S. What other teenage children hunt deer with an AK-47,(do you really need three AK-47s) they are not sporting rifles.
AK-47-Flak jackets, chemical gernades and explosive devices, sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
Holly

Eagle Lake, FL

#3 Oct 17, 2007
Who cares they got this loser. Believe me it's people like you saying well it's legal and then next week your asking why nothing was done to him. This guy needs to be of the streets.
John

Tampa, FL

#4 Oct 17, 2007
I think it is illegal for a civilian to own or wear body armour or even a kevlar vest. If it was legal all of your gang members in South St Pete would be wearing that kind of stuff.

“I Offer You Truth!”

Since: Jul 07

Tampa, FL

#5 Oct 17, 2007
Holly wrote:
Who cares they got this loser. Believe me it's people like you saying well it's legal and then next week your asking why nothing was done to him. This guy needs to be of the streets.
You're right Holly.

There's always some idiot talking up the "legality" of clearly aberant behaviors. Then the same idiot wants to cry "Why wasn't something done?" ...AFTER the maniac who had a virtual armory of high-powered weapons and thousands of rounds of ammunition in his possession finally snaps and massacres 5, 10, 20 people.

This nut obviously has some serious issues and, in all likelihood, had bad intentions.
fltaz23

United States

#6 Oct 17, 2007
Biggest concern... he is 17. How is a child getting these type of weapons? I know I know... outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns. But a minor??? But to have a bullet proof vest and chemical grenades as well as a gas mask...he was planning something. They have seized his computer as well, so perhaps they got one of these whacked out kids before they killed alot of innocent people. What a shame.
AEP

Tampa, FL

#7 Oct 17, 2007
John wrote:
I think it is illegal for a civilian to own or wear body armour or even a kevlar vest. If it was legal all of your gang members in South St Pete would be wearing that kind of stuff.
Think again.
AEP

Tampa, FL

#8 Oct 17, 2007
fltaz23 wrote:
Biggest concern... he is 17.
Please, have your vision checked before you drive a car.

"Officials at the school called police on Sunday when 18 year old Shawn Keiffer Newberry wore a bullet proof vest onto school property.
AEP

Tampa, FL

#9 Oct 17, 2007
fltaz23 wrote:
But to have a bullet proof vest and chemical grenades as well as a gas mask.
http://www.lascointl.com/accessories/vests.ht...

http://www.keepshooting.com/selfdefense/tearg...

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/

Since: Oct 07

Oldsmar, FL

#10 Oct 17, 2007
'There's always some idiot talking up the "legality" of clearly aberant behaviors.'

Yes, because legality is important. It seems that he broke a number of law, and he should be prosecuted for breaking those laws. The reason legality of owning certain firearms, chemical spray, body armor, etc. is important is because this article focused on the sensational aspects, and entirely fails to convey the information regarding to why he was really arrested. This is shoddy reporting, plain and simple.

"If it was legal all of your gang members in South St Pete would be wearing that kind of stuff."
I disagree with your point. Kevlar is expensive. Good body armor, even more so. And it never looks stylish. I'm not sure on the legality of body armor in this state, but I can't imagine that it would be illegal. There are companies now that sell kevlar backpacks for kids, because of the threat of school shootings... demonizing someone for owning something that could potentially save their life is laughable.
Nanci

Tampa, FL

#11 Oct 17, 2007
Where are the parents that allow this CHILD to secure these items? How can anyone not be aware that their child is involved in such activity. Perhaps the ways of the 50's when we were held accountable for our children's behavior should come back full circle...this is a sick indication of having so much we have nothing.. God help America! and the world!
Deb

Orlando, FL

#12 Oct 17, 2007
He was probably arrested not because he owned these items but that he had them on school property. The schools have what they call "zero tolerence". Students aren't allowed to bring drugs, alcohol, or weapons of any sort on school property. He had chemical spray in his car. I have seen first hand "children" suspended from school for far less offenses. I think that they made the right call and avoided any catastrophy before it took place.
Rogue

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 Oct 17, 2007
afpj wrote:
"Police later searched Newberry's home and found body armor,(not illegal) three AK 47's,(may be if fully auto)...
Actually, if you're registered with the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) it's quite legal for you to own fully automatic weapons. If memory serves, once you have your FFL (Federal Firearms License) You're able to own automatic weapons. However, in order to attain both of those things, you have to be [b]21[/b].
John

Lakeland, FL

#14 Oct 17, 2007
Ok. This kid was a little off but most of this stuff was NOT illegal. Just in the wrong hands. Like a drunk driver with a car, etc.

The entry grenades are illegal if you are under 21 years of age. All else was not. You can own a firearm under 21 but you can not purchase one. I know thats weird. Most of all the majority of AK-47s in this country are not assault weapons.

What makes a firearm an assault weapon.

S E L E C T I V E fire.

Your 30.-06,.223,.22 and various other hunting semi autos are the same principle of firing and loading. Are they assault weapons? No.

Granted this may have been a problem growing. But do not blame the tools. Do not blame the makers. Do not blame the media. Do not blame the police. Do not blame the school.

Blame the parents! Unless your a liberla and think it's Bush's fault.

-nuff said.
Rheabop

Inverness, FL

#17 Oct 17, 2007
I don't understand the actual charges he was charged with either, however, he definitely was up to no good with all the weapons that were found and the parents had to be aware, if not actually involved in helping him obtain the items, that he had them. Otherwise where would he have gotten all the money to purchase them at his age unless he is also dealing drugs?? I think it is a good thing they found out about him early and took care of this problem before innocent people got hurt!!
fltaz23

United States

#19 Oct 17, 2007
excuse me AEP good thing you are in here to keep all the details in line for us. Excuse me. 18 vs 17. Still scares the dog out of me that a high school student at age 17 or 18 can access such weapons. That was the jist of my post. sorry if I upset you by stating 17 vs 18.
AEP

Tampa, FL

#20 Oct 17, 2007
18 year olds earn money by working.
just a thought

United States

#21 Oct 17, 2007
Does that mean you think he obtained these weapons completely legally AEP? I can't believe this doesn't phase you in any other way but to correct people's post on quoting his age.
But if that's what you enjoy doing, good thing we live in this "free" country...?
Deb

Orlando, FL

#22 Oct 17, 2007
AEP wrote:
18 year olds earn money by working.
17 year olds can work and earn money too.
AEP

Tampa, FL

#23 Oct 17, 2007
I had a job when I was 10.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Englewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alias (Dec '13) 4 hr Dirk Diggler 36
Liberia wants US aid dealing with EBOLA 8 hr Streetrunner 12
Tampa Bay area veterans hospitals train on hand... 17 hr Liberal forever 1
Review: Corner Club Tavern Wed Terri Miller 1
2000 chevy impala Tue kimmyjo25 1
Vote YES on Amendment Two! Oct 21 Liberal forever 1
Could Ferguson happen in Tampa? Oct 20 chimpoutologist 9
Englewood Dating
Find my Match

Englewood Jobs

Englewood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Englewood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Englewood

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]